The Escapist's Video Player - Feedback and Updates

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
Fappy said:
ThyNameIsMud said:
Fappy said:
The mobile site had a really rough start but it seems to be steadily improving over time. There are quite a few profile-oriented pages that are still a jumbled mess using a vertical view, though I am not sure how you could fix that without completely reformatting how it looks on mobile. Is that in the works at all?

Also, if you guys could figure out a way to show page count (and allow you to jump) from the forum screen that'd be terrific.
THIS IS A VIDEO FEEDBACK THREAD FAPPY

The profile pages largely need to rebuilt to make them responsive. It's deff on the to-do. Not sure what your second request means tho.
Yeah, I admit I worded it poorly. So like, let's say you navigate to "Gaming Discussion" on your phone and are browsing the list of threads on the front page. As of right now the mobile view does not include hyperlinks to individual pages of a thread like the full site view does. I realize that could be a real estate issue, but it would be nice to at least include the number of pages the thread contains.
u messin' w/me?

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
For me, at least, now the videos won't even play. Shows the loading circle, but it just goes on and on like a never ending toilet swirly. When it does play, I'll letcha know if I can make it go to a certain time or not.

EDIT: For gits and shiggles, I clicked on the bar while it was still loading...and the time on the left side showed a -1:0-1.

Dunno if that might help troubleshoost things at all...
Clear yo cache and try again. Just updated a bunch of core files about an hour ago

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I'd like there to be an option to have the video player be the size it used to be. It's a small gripe, admittedly, and doesn't affect anything other than some convenience for me. Since I often have two windows open at once, I liked having the Escapist playing whatever video interested me while reading/answering emails or what have you. Again, nothing major, just a tad annoying. Other than that, the more pressing issues from launch day seem to have been ironed out on my end, so kudos.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ThyNameIsMud said:
Fappy said:
ThyNameIsMud said:
Fappy said:
The mobile site had a really rough start but it seems to be steadily improving over time. There are quite a few profile-oriented pages that are still a jumbled mess using a vertical view, though I am not sure how you could fix that without completely reformatting how it looks on mobile. Is that in the works at all?

Also, if you guys could figure out a way to show page count (and allow you to jump) from the forum screen that'd be terrific.
THIS IS A VIDEO FEEDBACK THREAD FAPPY

The profile pages largely need to rebuilt to make them responsive. It's deff on the to-do. Not sure what your second request means tho.
Yeah, I admit I worded it poorly. So like, let's say you navigate to "Gaming Discussion" on your phone and are browsing the list of threads on the front page. As of right now the mobile view does not include hyperlinks to individual pages of a thread like the full site view does. I realize that could be a real estate issue, but it would be nice to at least include the number of pages the thread contains.
u messin' w/me?
Not the number of forum pages, the number of thread pages. Like this:

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ThyNameIsMud said:
Fappy said:
Ohhhhhh, yeah, it's a real estate issue. With only ~350 pixels of space to display so much information it requires a more thorough touch.
Yeah, I figured as much. Silly phones, why dey so small?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
ThyNameIsMud said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
For me, at least, now the videos won't even play. Shows the loading circle, but it just goes on and on like a never ending toilet swirly. When it does play, I'll letcha know if I can make it go to a certain time or not.

EDIT: For gits and shiggles, I clicked on the bar while it was still loading...and the time on the left side showed a -1:0-1.

Dunno if that might help troubleshoost things at all...
Clear yo cache and try again. Just updated a bunch of core files about an hour ago
Cleared and thankies a bunchies! I'd like to mirror King of Asgaard's request and also state that that is a minor thing for me, as well. Would be appreciated, though. ^_^

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
King of Asgaard said:
I'd like there to be an option to have the video player be the size it used to be. It's a small gripe, admittedly, and doesn't affect anything other than some convenience for me. Since I often have two windows open at once, I liked having the Escapist playing whatever video interested me while reading/answering emails or what have you. Again, nothing major, just a tad annoying. Other than that, the more pressing issues from launch day seem to have been ironed out on my end, so kudos.
Yes, this one is next up on my list for requested features. Should expect it by early next week

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010

2015-05-01 - Player size toggle
2015-05-01 - Volume will now be persistent
2015-05-01 - Player can now remember users preferences via cookie

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
malestrithe said:
Last Week I inquired about a smaller video option. The technician said it will be installed by this week. This week and that option is still not available. So are you going to install one or was that a placation to shut me up?
King of Asgaard said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Cleared and thankies a bunchies! I'd like to mirror King of Asgaard's request and also state that that is a minor thing for me, as well. Would be appreciated, though. ^_^
There's an option on the bottom menu 'Small Player'. Choice will remain persistent for logged in users.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
ThyNameIsMud said:
malestrithe said:
Last Week I inquired about a smaller video option. The technician said it will be installed by this week. This week and that option is still not available. So are you going to install one or was that a placation to shut me up?
King of Asgaard said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
There's an option on the bottom menu 'Small Player'. Choice will remain persistent for logged in users.
Doing God's work, mate. Just tested it on the latest Zero Punctuation and it worked like a charm. Cheers on getting to it so quickly.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
ThyNameIsMud said:
malestrithe said:
King of Asgaard said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Just got home to see this message. Tested and worked! Thank ya, Mud!

glider

Jan 19, 2015
ThyNameIsMud said:
Benedict Wolfe said:
The video player won't let me skip to whichever part of the play through I choose: Whenever I click the progress bar or the progress marker the video pauses or unpauses.
Should be fixed. let me know if it's still derped
It's still bugged for me. Really annoying =(
Chrome (add-on free), 1440x900 and windowed as well.

IkemEverburn

Nov 20, 2010
glider said:
ThyNameIsMud said:
Benedict Wolfe said:
The video player won't let me skip to whichever part of the play through I choose: Whenever I click the progress bar or the progress marker the video pauses or unpauses.
Should be fixed. let me know if it's still derped
It's still bugged for me. Really annoying =(
Chrome (add-on free), 1440x900 and windowed as well.
Mine Too

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
glider said:
IkemEverburn said:
Apologies for the issues you're having however I'm going to need more information from y'all in order to figure out issues you're having.

What OS/Browser Combo are you using?
Having the same issue with different browsers? Computer? Devices?
Can you show me a full page screen shot of this not working? It seems silly to ask for this considering the nature of the bug but trust me when I say it helps.
Are you blocking something with your host file?
Just to be sure, you cleared your cookies/cache and tried again?

With the above information I can attempt to track down where these issues are.

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
ThyNameIsMud said:
I had the same issue of being unable to fast forward or rewind the videos - Win 8.1/64 with two different webkit browsers, Chrome and Torch, in addition to Firefox and Opera. Same issue on a laptop with identical configuration. Essentially, clicking on the progress bar either before or after the current progress marker just pauses and unpauses the playback.

However, I have found a fix that works for my setup:

Selecting 'Show Controls' from the options menu sorts the problem out in all browsers and full navigation is restored. Reverting to 'Hide Controls' brings the problem back.

Show Controls is a bit misleading as it only really pulls up an additional timeline for the video, rather than the expected additional VCR-esque buttons, but hopefully this info will help.

Rather than a screenshot, would a quick video of this be of any use?

Vukith

Oct 6, 2013
I'm getting the same issue of not tracking in the timeline. If I try the show controls this happens.

http://i.imgur.com/NhEX3pf.png?1 I get this when I try to enable controls and it locks me out from getting to the hidden controls because they sit behind your player controls.

chrome win 7 home premium

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
IndieForever said:
Rather than a screenshot, would a quick video of this be of any use?
Yes please, if you're able to show from page load. Bonus points for pulling up the console tab in the developer tools (F12 -> Console Tab)

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
ThyNameIsMud said:
Bonus points for pulling up the console tab in the developer tools (F12 -> Console Tab)
We'll get this uploaded to YT along with a proper console analysis for you tomorrow. My OH is a web developer and has been strong-armed, ermm, I mean will be delighted to help out. I'm a C++/UE4 dev but I make the best lasagne in the house so I'm sure he'll be able to show you what you want to see and pick the relevant bit of code for analysis. It's not exactly a deal-breaker, really, but something is obviously going on with more modern browsers and, if you're anything like me, you'll be itching to put this right because your code should just.. work :)

I've dabbled in this and the lack of cross-browser/platform conformity would drive me bananas. It takes a patient mind to work on the web these days.

Will drop you a PM with link to the vid shortly.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I watched a ZP video either today or yesterday and was disappointed that I could not use the progress bar to go back 10 seconds and re-hear what I missed. The only option is to pause or re-view the whole episode even if the part I wanted to see was 4 minutes in.