The Escapist's Video Player - Feedback and Updates

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
I was finally able to reproduce it. Looks like VPAID is flipping out, I'll see if I can isolate the cause and get it patched.

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
Yup - works fine for me across all browsers. Just to let you know, as you've been patching VPAID, that none of the videos I checked were serving ads. Obviously I can't tell if that's deliberate or not!

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
IndieForever said:
Yup - works fine for me across all browsers. Just to let you know, as you've been patching VPAID, that none of the videos I checked were serving ads. Obviously I can't tell if that's deliberate or not!
Yeah, I confirmed as were working before I pushed the patch. There's some ad that's erroring out that's also at like 90% fill. The T-Mobile ads are still propagating though so I know it's not an issue with the player.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Now I can't watch it again. Can't watch the new ZP or the one before it. And I could before.

Edit: Ok, now I can

Vukith

Oct 6, 2013
Yup seems to be working fine now thanks very much for that. I;m also not getting adds before a video. I get ads on the page but not before the video.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Most video players pause/unpause the video when the space bar is pressed, the new video player does not. This is kind of inconvenient and it would be nice if that hotkey could be added.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I'm afraid I've had to completely stop using The Escapist for videos now and simply wait a week til content is on YouTube. Even when I go incognito and turn off my browser extensions such as adblockers, the new player seemed designed to not get past the initial splash screen. It's a shame, I preferred the old one.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
Updated the video player ad code to ensure flash ads and video itself doesn't run in parallel. Let me know y'all find issues with this.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
Most video players pause/unpause the video when the space bar is pressed, the new video player does not. This is kind of inconvenient and it would be nice if that hotkey could be added.
I'll roll that into a future update.

endtherapture said:
I'm afraid I've had to completely stop using The Escapist for videos now and simply wait a week til content is on YouTube. Even when I go incognito and turn off my browser extensions such as adblockers, the new player seemed designed to not get past the initial splash screen. It's a shame, I preferred the old one.
Mind following the steps over at the video help page [/videos/help]? Screen shots of the issue would also be rad.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
Added hotkeys to the player

Space bar toggles play/pause.
Right and Left Arrow keys seek the video forwards and back.
Up and Down Arrow keys increase and decrease the volume.
M key toggles mute/unmute.
F key toggles fullscreen off and on. (Does not work in Internet Explorer, it seems to be a limitation where scripts cannot request fullscreen without a mouse click)
Double-clicking with the mouse toggles fullscreen off and on.
Number keys from 0-9 skip to a percentage of the video. 0 is 0% and 9 is 90%.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
ThyNameIsMud said:
Drathnoxis said:

F key toggles fullscreen off and on. (Does not work in Internet Explorer, it seems to be a limitation where scripts cannot request fullscreen without a mouse click)
The space bar doesn't seem to work as intended, it seems to toggle the last button that was clicked. If fullscreen was clicked last spacebar toggles fullscreen, if mute was toggled last spacebar toggles mute.

Also, I'm not sure if it's a bug, but it seems kind of odd to me. When the big play button is clicked to initially start the video, the actual video starts playing for a couple seconds before the ad kicks in. In those initial seconds, the video cannot be paused, fullscreened, or muted. Neither the hotkeys or the buttons work during that time.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
ThyNameIsMud said:
Drathnoxis said:

The space bar doesn't seem to work as intended, it seems to toggle the last button that was clicked. If fullscreen was clicked last spacebar toggles fullscreen, if mute was toggled last spacebar toggles mute.

Also, I'm not sure if it's a bug, but it seems kind of odd to me. When the big play button is clicked to initially start the video, the actual video starts playing for a couple seconds before the ad kicks in. In those initial seconds, the video cannot be paused, fullscreened, or muted. Neither the hotkeys or the buttons work during that time.
As I understand it it's a UX issue, from the documentation:

Note: clicking any of the control buttons such as Play/Pause, Fullscreen, or Mute, will remove focus on the player which appears to "break" the hotkeys. This is for accessibility reasons so that people who do not use or know about the hotkeys can still properly use the Tab key to highlight the control buttons and space to toggle them.

To restore focus, just click on the video, or an empty part of the control bar at the bottom of the video player.
Let me know what you think about it in use and I'll make whatever changes are needed to improve the overall experience.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
ThyNameIsMud said:
As I understand it it's a UX issue, from the documentation:

Note: clicking any of the control buttons such as Play/Pause, Fullscreen, or Mute, will remove focus on the player which appears to "break" the hotkeys. This is for accessibility reasons so that people who do not use or know about the hotkeys can still properly use the Tab key to highlight the control buttons and space to toggle them.

To restore focus, just click on the video, or an empty part of the control bar at the bottom of the video player.
Let me know what you think about it in use and I'll make whatever changes are needed to improve the overall experience.
Well, the space bar is effectively useless as a pause/play button because the first thing that someone is going to do is click the fullscreen button. This causes the spacebar to become the fullscreen toggle immediately. You can't even really avoid doing this because you need to click on something to bring the video into focus for the hotkeys to function at all, so you might as well click fullscreen and kill two birds with one stone. And spacebar is the best option for a pause/play hotkey since it's the big button at the front of the keyboard and pausing is the kind of feature you just want to be able to access the easiest.

Sorry if I wasn't clear but the second part of my post was actually referring to a separate issue unrelated to the hotkeys. Using Zero Punctuation as an example, what I meant was:
-I load the page for a Zero Punctuation video
-I click on the video to begin the stream
-The Zero Punctuation video begins playing for a couple seconds***
-The ad kicks in and overrides the Zero Punctuation video
-The ad plays to completion
-The Zero Punctuation video begins playing where it left off

***Here is where the video is unresponsive to anything be it hotkey or button click on the video

It just seems wrong, and the first couple times it happened I thought the video had locked up on me and I refreshed before the ad started. It seems to me that the ad should play first before the [Zero Punctuation] video starts at all. I don't remember this issue happening before this last update, though so maybe something broke.

AwesomeDave

Feb 10, 2011
The video players controls dont work after i start the video. Cant pause, fullscreen or skip the video around. Currently on Win 10/Firefox combo, but same happened on Win 8/Firefox on my other computer.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
Patched the issue with the controls not being relinquished from the adunit/linear ad mode. Should no longer prevent you from using the controls before/after the ad has played.

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
- started tracking registering performance metrics (time to load, ad load, etc)
- Player will detect if you're blocking/don't have flash and serve the html5 ads instead (if available)

ICEWOLF

Jan 26, 2012
The new video player sucks. I have given it a few months to get better but it still plays for a few seconds and then pauses to buffer again. Even if i pause it and go out for a smoke the videos do not buffer while i am out. I have a crappy internet connection but i can watch video all day on youtube in 480p or 720p on a good day. The old player on the escapist would buffer super fast on the same connection and play perfectly. Started having to go to youtube to watch reposted copies of zero punctuation and judging by the cover (what happened to all the good content on here? I used to watch half a dozen shows a week but hey thats another topic)

also the video controls never come back after they auto hide which is frustrating

new video player might be fine on a good connection but its unusable on a poor one. even on 360p

running linux mint with both firefox and chrome

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
ICEWOLF said:
The new video player sucks. I have given it a few months to get better but it still plays for a few seconds and then pauses to buffer again. Even if i pause it and go out for a smoke the videos do not buffer while i am out. I have a crappy internet connection but i can watch video all day on youtube in 480p or 720p on a good day. The old player on the escapist would buffer super fast on the same connection and play perfectly. Started having to go to youtube to watch reposted copies of zero punctuation and judging by the cover (what happened to all the good content on here? I used to watch half a dozen shows a week but hey thats another topic)

also the video controls never come back after they auto hide which is frustrating

new video player might be fine on a good connection but its unusable on a poor one. even on 360p

running linux mint with both firefox and chrome
Try clearing your cache and giving it another shot. The controls hiding is usually from ad block software, though I've noticing it happening from hitting play before the ad loads but while the ad server has already claim the video element for itself. If that doesn't work, try disabling Flash and let me know if it's better.