The Force Awakens question

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
So am I the only one who still really loves that movie or am I just too blinded by nostalgia to think its really good? I mean I do acknowledge the similarities it utilizes in it (though I wouldn't call it a remake nor rehash).

Also I really like the score and find it underrated.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Natemans said:
So am I the only one who still really loves that movie or am I just too blinded by nostalgia to think its really good? I mean I do acknowledge the similarities it utilizes in it (though I wouldn't call it a remake nor rehash).
Well, obviously it's a rhetorical question, but, no, you're not the only one who loves the movie. Every indication is that aside from griping, the movie was well received by the general public. It's got a high RT score, there's plenty of Force Awakens merchandise, the Star Wars section of ff.net exploded with "sequel trilogy"-categorized fics, etc. So, in general terms, I think it's fair to say that TFA was reasonably well received, and that for Average Joe, it did revitalize Star Wars.

Speaking personally, I give TFA a lot of slack, but looking at it more rationally, it's...fine. It's average. It's servicable. Of the nine Star Wars films I can rank, it comes in at #5, so, ergo, pretty much right in the middle. It does a lot of leaning on A New Hope, but in all fairness, it doesn't completely rehash it (it steals from Return of the Jedi too ;p). Rey is Mary Suish, but is a perfectly likable character. The film does introduce some new ideas to the franchise, such as the idea of the Dark Side operating through proxies (Sith>Empire>New Order), and does a good subversion of being "tempted by the Light Side of the Force"). Also, its directing style is quite good - Abrams does a good job of moving the camera in some scenes (e.g. the Millennium Falcon), and especially when Ren kills Han, how the light of the sun fully fades and the light stops being cast over his face when he kills his father.

There are some things I think are bad though - Poe's return to the Resistance is barely explained, the Resistance in of itself is just a rehash of the Rebellion (at least the First Order does have some distinguishment from the Empire), and even if it isn't a complete rehash, it does feel like a giant reset button - a Republic is formed, then destroyed, so, um, yay?). Also I'm not fond of the score either.

So, at the end of the day, TFA is...fine. Average. Servicable. Unnecessary. Reasonably enjoyable. Derivative, but has some sparks of inspiration. Well directed. Characters are likable enough. It's...fine.

So, ramble over, as you can guess, I'm not that fond of TFA - I never felt the need for an "Episode VII," and TFA itself didn't change my view on that. But, it's by no means a bad film. And anyone who genuinely likes it shouldn't be ashamed of doing so, nor berated for doing so.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Also gonna say this: I don't find Rey a Mary Sue and kinda her flawed/interesting.

I didn't need an Episode VII either in my life, but somehow I still really loved it.

Oct 22, 2011
Pff, not by a long shot. Plenty of people still hold TFA high. Now, Rogue One could be the "controversial" enough pick to discuss that matter.

I can't agree with you on score, unfortunately. Rehashed plot elements, and fanservice bothered me to extent, but movie was good enough for me to see past it. But the soundtrack was almost entirely forgettable.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I tried watching it again last night. I got about half-way through, before I turned it off. More I see the movie, the more story elements and scenes from The New Hope I keep noticing. The Force Awakens is such a bland rip-off of the original Star Wars movie. It is easily the worst Star Wars movie ever. Yes, I would rather watch Jar Jar Binks than see Finn stumble around haplessly and killing his former colleague because "reasons".

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It was a'ight

I said it in a previous thread but it's very similar to the Marvel films; a whole lot of pretty colors and flashy lights with no real substance (hell, I had to look up my old review to remember half of the plot). It's a popcorn movie that doesn't take any real chances. A boringly perfect main character who does everything right (except when they do something wrong, in which case it was the perfect solution and makes everything right) with the same exact plot as the old films.

Now there's nothing wrong with that. I certainly enjoyed it enough and I don't regret seeing the movie but I'm not sure I'll ever watch it again the same way that I could pop in the original trilogy at about any time and be happy.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
There are aspects of it I don't mind. I like Finn and Poe, Ren is basically fine, and the returning cast are all good. The problem is the attack of the 50 fifty foot Mary Sue that is Rey, who is neither written nor acted well. The film drains of fun whenever she's onscreen.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I still like it a lot, though I maintain that if it's a rehash of anything, then it's a rehash of Jedi.

Don't find Rey to be any more a Mary Sue than any other Star Wars protagonist, the story was nice, light, and pulpy, the fights had weight to them, and the Jedi-fake-out that was Finn was done really well.

Plus, it fulfilled a life-long wish of Harrison Ford's, so that's pretty cool.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
I dig it. Its pretty alright, New Hope rehashes and non-sensical Super Weapon display aside.

I'm even cool with Rey. She got the mind trick fast but we also have no context for how hard that is to learn so like... idk. Not like she curbstomped Ren either.

Its pretty good. Valid flaws ofc but its significantly better directed than the prequels in a lot of ways so its not even bad star wars. So... I guess nah, OP? It's not just you.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Of course you aren't the only one, and everyone who likes it will like it for different reasons. Plus it made a killing even before came out and was probably seen by everbody. And even if the general consensus had changed, I'm sure there are a billion Star Wars fans who love it either way.

I can see the appeal, but I found it to be terrible in almost every aspect, and it being called "a remake for a new audience" is basically accepting mediocrity as the norm to me.

This critique only covers about half my problems with it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well no one I know IRL liked it, and my guys are like...stupid hardcore Star Wars fans.

And it really is just a rehash of A New Hope. Abrams shouldn't be allowed to make anything except WishBone episodes. Its simple, you're already doing someone else's story, and all you have to do it shoot scenes with a dog in a costume and then pretend its clever.
It'd be perfect for him!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I enjoyed it and feel it accomplished what it needed to do: get people excited about Star Wars again and show that Disney can handle the franchise.

That being said, I do feel like the final verdict for it is still hanging on The Last Jedi. The Force Awakens raises a lot of questions and doesn't bother to answer nearly all of them. Instead, it's more like, "Ha ha, you want to know that? Better stick around for the next movie!"
If we don't get some serious answers in The Last Jedi--who Rey really is, what are the Knights of Ren, etc.--then The Force Awakens is going to take some serious hits in my book. I don't expect to have all my questions answered, but I better get some answers.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i enjoyed it as well.. good balance of remembering the old stories and forging new ground and introducing new characters

plus i have a soft spot for rey and bb8

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I liked it a lot, despite the legitimate criticisms about how much it copies from New Hope, and also the badly written in superduper death star. Rey and Finn had a lot of charisma and a lot of reliability - things lacking in Rogue One.

Dunc2j

Jul 19, 2010
I liked it. The people I went to see it with liked it. My Star Wars loving friends liked it, hell even some of my very much not star wars loving friends liked it. I actually know very few if anyone that actually dislikes it. It was exactly what it needed to be. I disagree on the score though, that was very disappointing.

Rogue One was also good, though I'm very very sceptical of the Han Solo "Origins" film. I just don't feel its needed. Ultimately The Last Jedi needs to deliver something new though to keep me interested.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I liked it...though Rogue One blew it out of the water. Best damn Star Wars movie I've seen in a LONG time. It might even be my #2 favorite Star Wars film after ESB.

TFA's strongest moments for me are most of the first act, where it focuses on the new main cast. Things kind of fall apart when Death Star 3.0 Less Retarded Sun Crusher Starkiller Base shows up, and the Rathtar scene was totally unnecessary (just like the Bor Gullet scene in Rogue One. Stop trying to put hentai monsters in my Star Wars, LucasFilm). I was also disappointed to see the same old X-Wings and Tie Fighters instead of different ship designs (Tie Defender is still canon...just sayin'), along with the lack of a decent space battle. That said, the final act is engaging enough to make up for these complaints.

And now, for the most nerdiest of nerdy nit-picks of TFA you've ever seen...

I also like to think that Kylo Ren's mask originally belonged to a "Disney canon" version of Darth Revan.

At the end of the day, I'm perfectly fine with TFA being a Star Wars film "for the masses." It was made to get the general public back on board with the franchise and re-familiarize themselves with the setting, as many of them probably haven't seen a Star Wars film in over a decade, if at all. Now that everyone's on the same page I'm hoping the rest of the sequel trilogy is confident enough to forge its own identity rather than living in the OT's shadow.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Neverhoodian said:
I liked it...though Rogue One blew it out of the water. Best damn Star Wars movie I've seen in a LONG time. It might even be my #2 favorite Star Wars film after ESB.

TFA's strongest moments for me are most of the first act, where it focuses on the new main cast. Things kind of fall apart when Death Star 3.0 Less Retarded Sun Crusher Starkiller Base shows up, and the Rathtar scene was totally unnecessary (just like the Bor Gullet scene in Rogue One. Stop trying to put hentai monsters in my Star Wars, LucasFilm). I was also disappointed to see the same old X-Wings and Tie Fighters instead of different ship designs (Tie Defender is still canon...just sayin'), along with the lack of a decent space battle. That said, the final act is engaging enough to make up for these complaints.

And now, for the most nerdiest of nerdy nit-picks of TFA you've ever seen...

I also like to think that Kylo Ren's mask originally belonged to a "Disney canon" version of Darth Revan.

At the end of the day, I'm perfectly fine with TFA being a Star Wars film "for the masses." It was made to get the general public back on board with the franchise and re-familiarize themselves with the setting, as many of them probably haven't seen a Star Wars film in over a decade, if at all. Now that everyone's on the same page I'm hoping the rest of the sequel trilogy is confident enough to forge its own identity rather than living in the OT's shadow.
Rogue One is okay, but I don't think its as good as TFA. Really suffers from a cluttered first act and really weak characterization in places.