The Guide to Skyrim Modders: Part 2

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
"This isn't consistent with the loooore."
Good gravy, I laughed so much at that panel. I think I'm going to have to go to Google now. My curiousity is acting up.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
GoodApprentice said:
These are the salad days of Skyrim, when thousands of game-changing mods have yet to be released. My New Vegas game is one massive, violent battlefield of strange.

I've never understood the desire to turn Bethesdas games into depraved sex romps, and the mods that make characters look like pretty(?) Japanese cartoons have always freaked me out, but to each his own.
Pretty much my thoughts. What I don't understand, personally, is how people would automatically jump to creating skimpy versions of female armour in a place like Skyrim.

Think about it for two seconds: you're playing someone who's very likely to climb her way to the Throat of the World, with its skin-scorching blizzards that actually require a Thu'um to be dispelled and its high abundance of snow. This is literally the coldest spot in all of Skyrim... and you want to get there wearing nothing but metal shoulder pieces, a Battle Bra, a flimsy bit of loincloth and ankle-high Battle Buskins? The whole of it being made out of *steel* pressed directly against your skin?

Ooooh, yeah. Frostbites sure are sexy. I loves me some desiccated bitches, all mummified by extreme cold and shit... HNG. UNF UNF.

I just-

I can't wrap my head around that. It was barely acceptable in Oblivion, in that you could at least stretch plausibility to its very limits and assume that in Cyrodiil, Battle Bras are just as useful as a full suit of plate armour. In Skyrim? Fuck, I'd say the worst enemy you'd be facing wouldn't be Alduin; it'd be all those damned Frost Dragons and the snow and the ice caves and just the all-around Nordic cold of this entire place!

TL;DR: I just don't get the compulsive modders. Stop turning Skyrim into a glorified Sims 3 and go kill some freaking dragons with appropriate gear, for a change!

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:
GoodApprentice said:
These are the salad days of Skyrim, when thousands of game-changing mods have yet to be released. My New Vegas game is one massive, violent battlefield of strange.

I've never understood the desire to turn Bethesdas games into depraved sex romps, and the mods that make characters look like pretty(?) Japanese cartoons have always freaked me out, but to each his own.
Pretty much my thoughts. What I don't understand, personally, is how people would automatically jump to creating skimpy versions of female armour in a place like Skyrim.

Think about it for two seconds: you're playing someone who's very likely to climb her way to the Throat of the World, with its skin-scorching blizzards that actually require a Thu'um to be dispelled and its high abundance of snow. This is literally the coldest spot in all of Skyrim... and you want to get there wearing nothing but metal shoulder pieces, a Battle Bra, a flimsy bit of loincloth and ankle-high Battle Buskins? The whole of it being made out of *steel* pressed directly against your skin?

Ooooh, yeah. Frostbites sure are sexy. I loves me some desiccated bitches, all mummified by extreme cold and shit... HNG. UNF UNF.

I just-

I can't wrap my head around that. It was barely acceptable in Oblivion, in that you could at least stretch plausibility to its very limits and assume that in Cyrodiil, Battle Bras are just as useful as a full suit of plate armour. In Skyrim? Fuck, I'd say the worst enemy you'd be facing wouldn't be Alduin; it'd be all those damned Frost Dragons and the snow and the ice caves and just the all-around Nordic cold of this entire place!

TL;DR: I just don't get the compulsive modders. Stop turning Skyrim into a glorified Sims 3 and go kill some freaking dragons with appropriate gear, for a change!
Do you for a second actually believe that people who mod in supermodel bodies and skimpy armor actually give a damn about how much sense it makes?

And regardless of the mod type, let people enjoy their crazy mods. It's not like this is an MMO where appealing to one group of people could make the game less enjoyable for others.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'll agree on one point: people have the right to enjoy moddable games any way they damn well please. What gets my goat is that if you pay attention to any Nexus site, you realize that almost irrevocably, the focus shifts away from practical modding and into using the game as some sort of alternative to Poser. The more time passes, the more intelligent and inventive mods get swamped out by stuff I wouldn't even consider eye candy, past a certain point.

Skyrim, just like any other Elder Scrolls game, is steeped in lore. Sorry if this seems incredibly naive to you, but I always thought people bought 'em *because* of that lore and the sense of painstaking immersion the series tries to deliver. Not because it's easy to mod extra boobies and anatomically correct penises into it, or to play as the one and only Kawaii supermodel-type figure in a world where everyone but you is covered in grime and almost just as rugged as the terrain itself.

On the flipside, when I hear people cheer when a new core Sims game comes out, I understand. The Sims series is shallow and is well aware of it. It's one of its strengths, in fact. This is an experience that's tailor-made for the sort of stuff you see in some of the more egregious Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3/New Vegas mods. If I could, I'd point these mod-makers to The Sims 3 and tell them to have at it. They'd get the same enjoyment they would out of modding Skyrim.

Again, I might be naive, but if you're playing a game that places you in sub-zero conditions (as defined in Celcius), I figure you'd get a tad more enjoyment out of it if you tried to adhere to certain rules. Skyrim isn't something along the lines of Ar Tonelico, for instance, where the less clothes the females have, the stronger they become.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
GoodApprentice said:

I just-

Well, I don't get it at all.
Full plate is totally sexier than a chainmail bikini.

Hmm ... now I'm tempted to do a panel 3 and make a Charlotte Christine de Colde mod.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Is that giant mudcrap from actuall mod? If so what is it name and where can I get it!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Danceofmasks said:
Well, I don't get it at all.
Full plate is totally sexier than a chainmail bikini.

Hmm ... now I'm tempted to do a panel 3 and make a Charlotte Christine de Colde mod.
Heck, look at Samus' Varia Suit. It's armoured up the wazoo, and it still manages to be feminine. As a protagonist, she absolutely doesn't need to show off.

Considering this, why would anyone honestly consider that their Skyrim experience is incomplete if they can't do the main quest attired as a Playboy Bunny? That's my argument. I've got nothing against those people who mod Skyrim into some sort of personal runway for virtual models, but I figure they'd be better off playing the game vanilla, first off. That way, they'd get a sense for the feel of the place - the lore and the Dovahkiin's place in it. Otherwise, you're left with the odd concept that being Dragonborn gives you a free pass for personal health and safety.

Lydia: "Be careful, my Thane! This dragon's breath burns bright!"
DovahPlayboyKiin: "S'totally fine, Lydia. Like, I'll make kitty faces and poses, flutter my eyelashes, angle my head so the camera catches my super-glossy modded skin, and it'll go away. Eventually. I've got God Mode turned on."
Lydia: "But... What of me, my Thane?
DovahPlayboyKiin: "Oh, you? Um... You die horribly. Kthnxbai! ^_^ "