The Half-Naked Elf Problem

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Purplecoyote said:
I'm just going to throw out here that as a heterosexual girl, I'm DYING to play this MMO and the character design and clothing is one of the main reasons I want to do so.
Really? You even like the Loli stuff? Well, good on you I guess, but as a heterosexual guy I don't want a game to be so fucking stupid.

Seriously, have some integrity.

Sorry, that sounded insulting, I only mean, well, don't play a game with such shitty morals.

Simon1

Feb 14, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Actually i have heard of Tera, the biggest thing i heard about it is that is basically has a "Scantily Clad Loli" class. No seriosuly look;

Yeahhhh... im not comfortable with whoever designed those. Stay the fuck away from me

Ok, that is wrong on SO many levels. That is n't even armor,thats just tissue-paper spraypainted silver and glued to spandex.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Ashannon Blackthorn said:
I have an issue with this whole thread... even getting off the original topic of female over sexualization in video games.

Kahunaburger is the lead one for this, I showed this thread and his comments ot my Korean room mate who is a quiet 22 year old female exchange student. All she could say is why is he so racist toward my culture?

And Kuhuna and other like him(her?) are. Korean culture is not American. They have much different views on what is acceptable sexually then Americans do. (to a lesser extent Canadians and Europeans but Americans tend to go right off the prude scale quite easily)

Now before Kahunaburger starts yelling I support paedos or somesuch. I don't. I think paedophiles should be executed. If found guilty beyond doubt, bullet to the head.

I'm also aware not everyone thinks like me, or every culture is the same as mine.

So I disprove of paedophilia? Yes I do. DO I think the makers of Tera are pandering to paedos with that loli foxgirl crap? No. and anyone who blindly screams they are is a fucking idiot at best or a fucking idiot racist at worst.

Try and keep some perspectives here people and realize not every human on the planet views things the same way as you do.

I'm curious to see the ratio of Americans to either Canadians, Europeans or asians in this thread. I think it would be kind of interesting and telling in some ways.
Well, the game features little girls in outfits that are commonly used by adult females to appear sexually attractive. Therefore, it is trying to appeal to people who find little girls attractive. That's just logic.

I'm pretty sure Asian people don't think it's acceptable to think little children are sexually attracitve. (although actually I think it's allright to THINK it, but I don't think it's ok to act on it, for example by making a game that features scantly clad little girls.)

And if they do, well, I hate to break it to you, mate, but that it NOT OK.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
animehermit said:
That sentence got a bit garbled from brain to page. Like I mentioned, it IS disappearing, big western games are moving away from it, mostly because it's a negative stereotype.

and like I said, just because it sexualizes every other race, DOESN'T excuse this kind of disgusting designs.
Ah, I see where you're coming from now. :p Yes, the first point can be easily illustrated with the Elin, of all things. In Tera's Westernization process, the Elin were toned down a bit, while leaving the other races completely untouched... http://www.bitgamer.su/imagebucket/Elin-2.jpeg End results are kinda fugly, though. A huge chunk of the fanbase cried foul, and En Masse ended up closing threads speaking against it. May have even banned a few people, wouldn't surprise me.

I guess that's more an example of good intentions with poor implementation than anything else, iddnit? 'Course, now I'm kinda worried how Blade & Soul and Kingdom Under Fire II are gonna get localized. ._.

But now that you mention it, you have a point... where're all the smexy women at in our games? D:/ (j/k j/k... sheesh)

I'd beg to differ on Tera's characters being of "disgusting designs", but... meh, that's just a clash of opinions, and no real winner emerges from that kind of fight. :p

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
animehermit said:
Moromillas said:
animehermit said:
Moromillas said:
animehermit said:
Eamar said:
Totally agree, character models are a major problem, perhaps more so than the outfits. Something that bugs me in particular is the lack of variety (again, it all comes down to choice). While still limited in many cases, there does tend to be a lot more variation in male body types in games (compare males and females here: http://en.playpw.com/heroes.html )I can totally understand some people wanting to play as a supermodel lookalike, but I'd prefer my characters to look like they can handle the weapons they're supposed to be using. My personal preference would be for powerful, muscular females who looked more like elite athletes than models.
I think TOR, and for the most part, Bioware RPGs in general do this pretty well.

In TOR there are 4 male and female body types: small, regular or supermodel, Amazon, and finally curvy, which mirrors the male counterparts :p.
TOR actually has the same problem as Tera.
I wasn't aware TOR had sexualized children in it.
Not the off-topic pedo thought crime bashing thing, but the limited armor choices mentioned in the article.

In TOR there's one class where pants are difficult to find, and have a vast amount of skirts that go down to your ankles. There is custom armor that you can stick mods in, sure, but if you want "the best" armor you have to wear one of these skirts that completely covers your lower shins.
Nope, that isn't true, if you want to wear pants, it's pretty easy to find a piece of customizable gear that's a pair of pants. and the new "best armor" can have mods removed to be placed in any other piece that can be modded.

TOR has a vast variety of armor choices you can make, and it's even bigger if you're one of the light armor types that usually wear long dresses.
Incorrect.

The armor you're talking about doesn't have augment slots, and is not the "best armor." The only light leg armor that have augments, are all re-textured ankle skirts.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
LOTRO has the least-revealing outfits of any game I've played, MMO or otherwise, for female characters. There are some outfits that are slightly more revealing than others (low-cut dresses), but you probably wouldn't be wearing a ball gown into combat.
You havn't played SWTOR, obviously.

Honestly, Tera does kind of push the limits of sanity with its outfits. The boob jiggle physics are amusing, though. Also, the Elin race is wrong on several levels in my opinion.

Heh...I should probably read threads. But yeah...elin...funny.

Jan 22, 2011
animehermit said:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
Oh I am just loving the moral fag butt-hurt level in this thread. Guess what people this game was developed in South Korea for the people there get over it, you don't like it then don't play it. We are not or never intended to be the target audience for this game. Oh boy... I love the butt-hurt tears so much. On a different note I hate mmo's so I don't care how many loli's they throw at me the majority of those type of games are s*** to begin with and this includes WoW
You should really try harder next time, I don't think everyone quite got your point yet.
maybe i should be that would require effort on my end and I am to drunk/lazy to do so lol

Riki Darnell

Dec 23, 2011
"Half-naked Elf problem"...that sentence doesn't make sense. Unless you mean "Half-naked Elf problem...because there isn't enough half-naked elves" :p
How is it that over macho men, or overly muscular or rough men don't "break the story or the game b/c of what they are wearing" yet people say it happens with women?
As a woman, I like my women dressed sexy-like. If I'm gunna play as a female I want her to be good look and showing it off. (but that's my preference)

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Scrustle said:
It's sad that this is still an issue. Gaming really needs to grow out of it. I hate all these BDSM looking female characters in games. It doesn't do anything to dispel the gamer stereotype of us all being perverted basement dwelling virgins.

But I don't really like the system of wearing one set of clothing but appearing to wear another. It just seems to make itself redundant to me. Why bother making different sets of armour with different stats if you can just ignore the stats and wear whatever you want? Maybe it would be best if there was some sort of system where what you wear isn't connected to your armour stats at all. Maybe you could make it so all armour sets have no effect on their own, but all have enchantment slots in which you can place magic gems or something which give the item the stats you want. That sounds like a workable system which makes sense to me.

EDIT: This idea is going somewhere... It could also be organised in a way that there are different classes of armour and only certain types of gems can be put in to certain classes of armour. That way you don't get people walking around in magic robes that give the same armour ratings as the biggest beefiest platemail, etc. That could be seen as a bit too restrictive, but I think it just makes sense and wouldn't unbalance the game. And so that it makes sense to unlock "better" armour as you level up, higher level armour could have more slots for these gems than lower level stuff. But there would also be an option to add extra slots to lower level armour if you wanted to keep with that style. The ability to unlock these extra slots correlate with the unlocking of higher level armour.

If that system was in a game I think it would be totally awesome. If there's anyone here planning on making an MMO/RPG any time soon then feel free to steal my ideas, because I know I won't be using them.
What would be the point of that system, though? You'd still be collecting new armor sets that are more powerful as ones from before. Just now, you'd have another layer of menus to go through and a few more minutes added to the process of improving armor.
Weapons and armor exist as they do now in games because they're one of the many carrots dangled in front of the player's nose to keep them going. The look of an epic new armor set and the high stats it promises is as enticing as any level up or awesome skill or big boss to take down. Take that out and what are you left with?

I hate the fact that I'm forced to look a certain way, though. That's the point here. If I'm wearing Badass Bone Armor, I look exactly like every other high level dude wearing the same armor. And what if I just started collecting a set of Enchanted Green Leather Armor? Now my pants are layered, studded green leather with bits of fur here and there and everything else is massive, dark skeleton-looking gear. But should I dare take the pants off or try to mix it with weaker but more fitting gear, I lose out on a lot of really good stats and buffs.

I hate looking bad in an MMO. I want my character to look a certain way, and I don't care if that changes as I go because I find more armor that looks cool and works together. The look AND stats of armor can still be enticing in a system where you can appear to be wearing anything. In fact, I'd say it only enhances the desire to obtain more armor, because you might want to look for lower level armor to improve your appearance, whereas otherwise you'd just sell that armor to the nearest NPC without that system in place.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
MorganL4 said:
The method Shamus just mentioned has been in place for DC Universe Online for a REALLY long time
Not the only MMO either. Age of Conan had this from launch and made a minor fuss about it as well...but they also made a fuss about it having tits so I guess that off-sets it.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I do like player characters to be both available in male and female forms. I totally do not get the point of having pandas or other furries in my fantasy MMORPG, and I have little sympathies for furries running around doing furry stuff in my online fantasy world demanding a monthly paying fee for taking part in somebody else's twisted furry fantasies.

When I am playing as a female, as I normally do since I cannot relate much to a male hunk, and staring at his ass move gets really boring after, say, five minutes or so.

The only thing I really care about is that I can make use of the stuff I find/loot/buy/create without ever feeling discriminated because of gender.

Fallout: New Vegas had me destroy the whole Roman camp mainly because the Neo-Roman head honcho was a sexist twat, and because I was locked out of the arena. I also felt an urge to basically murder/maim/nuke the jailers and really hate just about everyone on The Strip - and beyond.

I don't really mind if TERA has jiggly physics, as long as it does not degrade the overall performance of the game. Yes, you are bound to find female characters bouncing a whole lot more than they should, and you are bound to find female avatars strangely standing still for an embarrassingly long time, but that's life and hormones to you.

I feel the need to say that, even though I am very open and accepting, adding "Asian devs and artists" to the mixture of life and hormones does tend to get well into severely messed up and wrong territory in just about no time. Sometimes, I wonder how reproduction rates remain stable in, say, South Korea or certain cities in Japan.

ACM_Shadow

Aug 6, 2009
as someone mentioned, rift does this good. (my female rouge seemed to be wearing a trenchcoat for most of her time, and then i swapped to full body leather armor... actually full body minus the helmet) has a good amount of sensible armor for both sexes.

But as people have proven, sex sells.

also on a second note, by recollection guild wars had quite a bit of non-revealing armor, but it had revealing stuff too.

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
animehermit said:
Moromillas said:
animehermit said:
Moromillas said:
animehermit said:
Moromillas said:
animehermit said:
Eamar said:
Totally agree, character models are a major problem, perhaps more so than the outfits. Something that bugs me in particular is the lack of variety (again, it all comes down to choice). While still limited in many cases, there does tend to be a lot more variation in male body types in games (compare males and females here: http://en.playpw.com/heroes.html )I can totally understand some people wanting to play as a supermodel lookalike, but I'd prefer my characters to look like they can handle the weapons they're supposed to be using. My personal preference would be for powerful, muscular females who looked more like elite athletes than models.
I think TOR, and for the most part, Bioware RPGs in general do this pretty well.

In TOR there are 4 male and female body types: small, regular or supermodel, Amazon, and finally curvy, which mirrors the male counterparts :p.
TOR actually has the same problem as Tera.
I wasn't aware TOR had sexualized children in it.
Not the off-topic pedo thought crime bashing thing, but the limited armor choices mentioned in the article.

In TOR there's one class where pants are difficult to find, and have a vast amount of skirts that go down to your ankles. There is custom armor that you can stick mods in, sure, but if you want "the best" armor you have to wear one of these skirts that completely covers your lower shins.
Nope, that isn't true, if you want to wear pants, it's pretty easy to find a piece of customizable gear that's a pair of pants. and the new "best armor" can have mods removed to be placed in any other piece that can be modded.

TOR has a vast variety of armor choices you can make, and it's even bigger if you're one of the light armor types that usually wear long dresses.
Incorrect.

The armor you're talking about doesn't have augment slots, and is not the "best armor." The only light leg armor that have augments, are all re-textured ankle skirts.
That "best armor" isn't needed to see all of the content of the game, and is only really gonna sought after by the min/maxers. even then any new orange gear is gonna be able to RE it to get the craftable version of it. That includes the pants that come with the contamination set you get for doing the rakghoul event. They nerfed augments pretty hard in 1.2 and many people just aren't gonna bother with it.

I'm not sure why you're railing on TOR for having 1 class that wears dress robes all the time though, it's meant to represent a certain class type from traditional RPGs, which always had the wizard characters wearing robes.
Again, this is incorrect. You don't get craftables from RE custom gear. Just because it's not a requirement doesn't mean it should be overlooked, especially when it is the best there is.

No. No no no, I support TOR as I have done from launch. What I don't support is restricting player choices and only catering to this tiny part of what is a very large and diverse demographic. Too many assumptions.

Not just the pants slot, they gave Artifice a grand total of 2 (yes 2) schematics with which to craft sabers with augments, and they both look like unshaven ass imo.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Ashannon Blackthorn said:
I have an issue with this whole thread... even getting off the original topic of female over sexualization in video games.

Kahunaburger is the lead one for this, I showed this thread and his comments ot my Korean room mate who is a quiet 22 year old female exchange student. All she could say is why is he so racist toward my culture?

And Kuhuna and other like him(her?) are. Korean culture is not American. They have much different views on what is acceptable sexually then Americans do. (to a lesser extent Canadians and Europeans but Americans tend to go right off the prude scale quite easily)
Sounds like your alleged roommate is a little over-sensitive, there. I highly doubt that this sort of pedo crap is mainstream in Korea. Disliking sexual abuse of minors and imagery that evokes sexual abuse of minors isn't being a "prude," it's being a decent human being. That's true regardless of where you're from.