The New Shiny Escapist

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Reduced text size, tried to stuff even more into the home page, the site is even slower than it was before. Seriously it took 3 minutes to load the home page and 7 minutes to load this page something is VERY VERY wrong and I'm on a 30mbs/15mbs connection here. The site went from viewable to a cluttered slow mess.

I really find it amazing this got past the concept stage, actually DID this go through the any sort of concept stage?

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I hope you realize the front page is a mess, it's cluttered and hard to tell what is what, it's hard finding some older (and by older I mean yesterday) news articles without using the search button, and the light blue on white is not exactly appealing to the eyes, as well as making the comments section like this one seem unfinished as now there is no background. My advice, add a background, clean up the front page, bring back the previous box with descriptions that made it easier to tell if that was the story you were looking for, and these only solve some of the bigger problems.

Edit: I swear this site now takes so much longer to load, whenever it does load.

DPunch4

May 6, 2009
kiwi_poo said:
I just want you to know that I'm wearing sunglasses. it's 10 PM and i'm on the northen hemisphere, and I have to wear sunglasses. just thought you might want to know.
otherwise the layout is... well it worse than before, but could be a lot worse (as youtube demonstrated). If you change the colors back to the previous version I think I could live with this.
Otherwise, I'll either get used to it, or decide I'm fed up with internet companies fucking over their customers and see if I can find a better website somewhere. (fat chance)
Oh god! Thank you! I didn't even think of wearing sunglasses! Much easier on the eyes now.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Reduced text size, tried to stuff even more into the home page, the site is even slower than it was before. Seriously it took 3 minutes to load the home page and 7 minutes to load this page something is VERY VERY wrong and I'm on a 30mbs/15mbs connection here. The site went from viewable to a cluttered slow mess.

I really find it amazing this got past the concept stage, actually DID this go through the any sort of concept stage?
Gotta agree, it looks like an artist (that's either new to website design or isn't active in that field at all) had a field day with maximum creative freedom and no betatesting whatsoever. The lack of structure (because that totally makes everything so ~light and sleek~) makes everything look so cluttered.

I'm usually in favor of "less is more", but this went over the top. And I prefer the new YouTube design with the exception of the mainpage!

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Everything on the front page is so hard to read... Tiny black writing on bright white? Yeah, no dice.
tangoprime said:
It looks like facebook now. Like... the current facebook. The bad one. With boxes and feeds everywhere, and everything way too spread out and inefficient.

Before it was compact, streamlined, efficient, and warm. Now, its facebook.
Perfectly said.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
Everything is so white. Why so much white?

I'm actually getting a headache.

Also, the front page seems much more cluttered. I prefer the older design, much more streamlined and easier to find everything.

Please no more white...

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
first impression: I don't like it. I think the biggest complaint I have is that the color scheme kinda messes with my eyes. I'm sure I'll get used to the new stuff and it'll be fine, but could we maybe go back to the old shade of blue instead of this light-blue color?

EDIT: It also seems to be VERY cluttered. Like, more so than the old layout.

EDIT2: also, is it just me or does the white background seem super-white?

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
I like the gradient blue scheme. Give me a bit to get used to where items are located and I'll get back to you on that. But I do have to say that the website does NOT work on the PS3. That kinda stinks for me because I like watching Escapist videos on that more than my computer.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
E not bad, but I liked the older one better honestly... however it now runs a lot slower on my phone and I don't like the color scheme...

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
It wouldn't bother me if it weren't slow as all hell. Dunno why, but it took like 5 minutes to load this page, and it times out as often as not.

drednoahl

Nov 23, 2011
Not bothered about looks, I like things to be functional.

60 odd scripts running though... well, I won't be coming back. A "shiny escapist" doesn't cover the dirt underneath.

RGman

Aug 28, 2011
First YouTube and now you! WHY IS EVERYBODY CHANGING?

On a serious note: Was there any demand for this? I mean, I've never had any problems with the old layout. It was a good layout... it was a damn good layout now that I come to think of it. Oh well, guess I can only apreciate something when it's gone.

I really don't like this new design. It looks like a clunky work in progress of an amateur web designer. And the white is hurting my eyes. And I hate changes...

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
There's just... not enough colour. I like colour, I get lost in this sea of white.

Like everyone else I'll get used to it, many headaches later.

EDIT: Can you imagine what it's going to be like when the weekly Yahtzee devotee's rampage through the site, it's bad enough today with all the long loading times.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Marik Bentusi said:
Snotnarok said:

Gotta agree, it looks like an artist (that's either new to website design or isn't active in that field at all) had a field day with maximum creative freedom and no betatesting whatsoever. The lack of structure (because that totally makes everything so ~light and sleek~) makes everything look so cluttered.

I'm usually in favor of "less is more", but this went over the top. And I prefer the new YouTube design with the exception of the mainpage!
Yeah I'm not against new, I actually liked the new facebook and youtube (agreeing with the main page thing the last one was better with subs all in one line) but this is just....unorganized awful.

As a webmaster, this site burns my eyes, as a webviewer it makes me angry because of the clutter.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'm having a lot of problems with certain texts since the redesign; the letters sometimes overlap, but only do it haphazardly. It seems only to happen when they're italicised or bolded or something like that, but it may happen to only a few of the letters in a word, or the whole word itself. It's weird. I took a picture [http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8324/escapistsite.png] of it if my explanation is insufficient. Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: also, I don't think I'd enjoy waiting about 3 minutes for every page to load. I sort of let it fly when I checked out the new design a couple of days ago, as I assumed it was something that was going to ironed out by the time the new design was rolled out. On top of that, some pages refuse to load altogether. Again, it's haphazard. There are still lots of bugs, so I don't see why the new design is being rolled out now.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
For those of you getting your retinas fried by all the white, I'm going to repeat what I said over in the off-topic forum:

Those of you running Firefox can install the NoSquint [https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nosquint/] add-on, which lets you set your own colors for background, text, and links. Just right-click on the page you want to change settings for, and you'll get a menu that lets you set everything.

I've got it installed right now, and the background is a nice soothing dark gray with white text. Ahhhh.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
When I got a Beta preview of it, my first act was to change it back. I can't do that anymore, can I?

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
You know... maybe there is a world-wide conspiracy to make everything homogenized and sterile. I've been talking about this for a while, and I've seen a few interesting points made. Like this whole "Web 2.0 Sleek and Sterile" thing is appalling. It's ugly. It's one-part cheap design for iPhone addicts, one-part sterile and one-part colorless, and it's taking over the web like an unwanted bright-white blizzard.

Like, whats the point here, what am I missing. It's like an office building. It's like a hospital. It's like every car looking the same on the market. It's like Facebook, as previously said.

What's going on here?!?!