The New Shiny Escapist

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Trujkin said:
this revision not only creates a more beautiful and readable site, but also includes substantial new underlying technologies. This new tech facilitates easier navigation
Uhh... not to be rude or anything, but how long does it take for that to kick in? I can't seem to find anything anymore. Took me about 15-20 seconds to even figure out where the article was. An option to switch back to the old theme would be awesome.

Edit:

And holy hell... I don't know if it is the new layout or the servers being slow, but it is taking 20-30 seconds to load every page (any other website I go to works fine, so doubt it is on my side).

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
This is what I get when I open the front page.

And yes, I did just learn how to make a screenshot for the sole purpose of this. Come on.
So at least I'm not the only one who has that problem, seriously, what happened?

Dalvyn

Sep 4, 2011
I really thought out of all the websites, The Escapist would be one of the ones to do it right... This site hasn't made me this sad sense we lost Extra Credits....

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Benndak said:
Saw this coming since I'm Pubclub. Gotta say I don't have much to rage about, but I kind of wish the color scheme was a little warmer. Easier on the eyes.
I am getting eyestrain with the new layout. Way too much white in one place, only offset by Twitter Blue without any kind of gradient. In fact, the forum bars look out of place now since they still have the nice reflective gradient blue.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
ALl of the new features are great. They're convenient, they're accessible, and they're actually useful. The main page looks nice too. But the rest... yeesh. It actually looks almost amateurish to me. A plain whit background all over is bland and says "Word Document" to me, especially with the blue outlines, and the fact that now that add at the top of the page just sits up there in white space is obnoxious. That's literally all I have to complain about: The incredible amount of new white.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Hate to say it, but it appears your six months of hard work has turned into something monstrous. I'm sure there were good intentions, but the homepage has no structure, the combination of blinding white/light-blue doesn't work at all, and there appears to be a legion of fans ready to lynch you guys the second they see you in broad daylight. Yes, there are some nice things, like the little navigation bar at the top of the screen, but they can't begin to outweigh the cons. Also, if you don't want anymore complete outrages like this again, don't hit us with a train of change. Introduce new things one at a time and try to limit new aspects to one every few days.

ThunderWalrus

Dec 16, 2010
I personally don't like it very much. One of the things I loved about the previous layout was how exciting it looked. It made the site seem like a busy hub of gaming geekdom, which it still is. But now it looks dull, plain, and confusing. It took me a few minutes just to be able to find the latest Jimquisition. Plus, when I first loaded it I thought Facebook got yet anoter layout.

It'd be the bees knees to have the old one back, but if not, we'll get used to it.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
HalfTangible said:

I came here to rage, but... eh, people are already doing that.

I just wish we still had the sidebar that went straight to the shows...
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssss!!

The new layout is not easy to use and it is definitely not beautiful to look at. It lacks the color and soul and collage feel of the old layout(the better layout).

Get rid of all the white, or at least bring back the dark blue borders, they helped tone down the white in the old layout.

Oh, switch back to old layout link, oh how I miss you.

Now I have to leave because I am literally getting a headache from all this bright whiteness.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Oh, and one more thing, do something about the loading problems. It is even worse than before the site change, heck, I would have edited my previous post to add this, but it hasn't even shown up yet and no matter how many times I hit refresh, it doesn't show up.

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
I could actually find my way around better before this. Also I don't like all the empty white spaces. It's too...clean. I miss the clutter.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I haven't posted here in ages. Decided to come back to see what was up only to be hit by this...mess. You messed up. This new layout is really, really bad compared to the old one. It looks empty and dull yet somehow manages to be cluttered at the same time. I wish I could give more solid criticism but it just overwhelms me with the number of problems. It almost feels like I'm missing parts of the site that haven't loaded or something.

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
Overall, not...bad, I guess. I think I'll need a few days to really know whether I can adjust.

Though I can say there are a few things I noticed right away that made me sad:

The white is too bright, as has already been mentioned a few dozen times, so I'll just leave it at that.

I miss the content bar on the right :(

And--and this is probably the smallest complaint in terms of aesthetics, but it probably bugs me the most, after the whiteness--the font, especially on the video titles, on ZP's or Unskippable's page for example, looks really unprofessional. I can't precisely say why, but it feels off--I think it's too big for the size of the preview box if that makes sense. But when the page loaded, I thought it had loaded wrong and that's usually not a good sign.

You said you were going for "airy", but I don't think you quite hit the mark. It feels, like a poster above me said, stark. "Airy", if executed properly can still be welcoming. I do not feel welcomed.

I think color has a lot more impact than we give it credit for, beyond just brand association. Bring back the blue, lessen the rage.

Rune342

Aug 26, 2008
It's a lot to get used to, which hopefully I will with time. And everything's a bit slow. Hopefully that will sort itself out as well.

NoPants2win

Dec 4, 2010
Buzz Killington said:
For those of you getting your retinas fried by all the white, I'm going to repeat what I said over in the off-topic forum:

Those of you running Firefox can install the NoSquint [https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nosquint/] add-on, which lets you set your own colors for background, text, and links. Just right-click on the page you want to change settings for, and you'll get a menu that lets you set everything.

I've got it installed right now, and the background is a nice soothing dark gray with white text. Ahhhh.
This man speaks the truth, I just installed it and now I don't have to sit 5 feet away from my monitor anymore.

Metaphysic

Jul 1, 2011
Site runs slower, colours are too bright for my taste.

Edit: I can't see any topics in either the Gaming Discussion or Off-Topic Discussion sections.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
As with many sites...this one changed when I don't think anyone was truly calling for one.

Initial impressions are not positive as the site has been running poorly since the change (though this could be completely coincidental).

The headings of articles and videos look budget with their large bold text that feels out of place but are easier to read.

I'm sure with time I'll get used to this layout and perhaps even prefer it. For now, that's simply not the case.