The New Shiny Escapist

Cirocomic

Nov 5, 2010
I can live with the colours and the general layout... But god, OH GOD, PLEASE BRING BACK THE LIST OF LATEST VIDEOS ON THE SIDE OF THE SITE!

I mainly come hear to watch the video content this site has to offer. The list was one of the most convenient and unique things about this site (on the video organization side of it at least.) I loved being able to watch a video then in mere seconds scroll down to another that I had yet to watch.

Please bring it back, the site is annoyingly inefficient with out it, and I'd rather not have to make a bookmark for EVERY series on this site.

Crod

emechbjm

Jun 8, 2010
To be constructive: a scrolling news window is silly. Do I really have to sit and wait for up to a minute to see a news item that might interest me, and then do it again after I've followed a link to see what stories follow after?

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
I don't see any rhyme or reason to the order of the news snippets on the left side. They look messy, disorganized and completely arbitrary. Can't we have some sort of hierarchy like in the old site? Latest highlights up front, chronological news updates next, issue features, and regular features summary last?

That would make the site so much better. And of course, dial down the white to a less bright hue and close the sides of the site with a darker color.

Thank you.

RGman

Aug 28, 2011
So people of the PubClub have access to a magical button that restores the Escapist to the... you know, BETTER VERSION? DO want. (not enough to subscribe though).
That's a nice slogan though: Join the PubClub, access the Escapist, keep your retinas.

Ok, I'm just bitter because I hate changes... and I don't like having to use sunglasses to read articles in the computer.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
RGman said:
So people of the PubClub have access to a magical button that restores the Escapist to the... you know, BETTER VESRION? DO want. (not enough to subscribe though).
We do have the button. The downside is that it doesn't work.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
It's bluuuuuuue. that being said it feels about the same with less clutter and smaller links.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
ChocoCake said:
I'll just say, isn't this what websites upgrade from?
I rather enjoyed the past design, much more appealing.
I'll check back in a few days to see if its been changed.
E for Effort.
I agree it all looks so primitive. Like the escapist decided to downgrade its forum back to 2004 days. This is a a really horrible redesign with the too bright white, and it's also difficult to tell what's a button and what is just words. Twice when i've tried logging in i couldn't find how to login because i overlook the simple tiny lettering beside the User and Password input. I'd like to say again, this is all incredibly unnecessary. I wish you guys hadn't done this. ='(

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
It took me a while to find a different news site and changed my home page. I'll be checking back periodically for about a week or so in case this amateur design is either shot down or there is a function to allow users to revert back to the older format.

I've expressed my opinion on the new changes in a prior post and still feel the exact same way about the site.

It's a shame I have to move away from a website that has been growing on me since I was a refugee from those horrible gawker media implementations.

If this took 6 months to create well, you guys got ripped off. I have a nice bridge in Brooklyn I'd love to sell.

Well, I may have to come back to this website eventually to show people I know who are getting into / interested in web design that this bright bloated mess is a good example of what not to do.

Either way I shouldn't leave on such a sour note and wish all the contributors and staff at the escapist good luck and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Ok, I am not sure what this says, exactly, but there is the unmistakable "navigation to the webpage was cancelled" sign in the background. Same thing with all of this sort of popouts on the site. What is up with that?

This is IE8. In Chrome it works alright.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
Nasrin said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate it, yeah it's unusual and seems a little unpolished in some ways but I'm sure I'll grow to like it.

Also if the moderators could stop warning people for their opinions that would be great. I mean:
mgirl said:
I have 2 problems with it:

1 - the loading times are a lot longer since the update, but I imagine that will get smoothed out soon enough.

2- it's too goddamn bright. It may have something to do with the fact I have adblocker on firefox, but the entire background is bright white. Seriously, I can't look at this website for more than a couple of minutes before my eyes start to hurt.

Other than that, I have no issue with it. But please, PLEASE make it less 'makes your eyes bleed' bright.
A warning for this? I mean I know you're infamous for abusing your powers but come on guys...
Advocating ad block has always been against our Code of Conduct.
False.

Advocating the use of ad block has been against the rules since December 2010. Before then people were just mass banned for talking about it despite not being against any rules at the time.

Edit: I'm certainly not disputing the warning.

It's nice to see the way The Escapist is handling criticism at the moment. It's also nice to see users, for the most part, keeping it civil.

BreakdownBoy

Jan 21, 2011
I am trying to find the podcast logo, but can't...oh wait, the easy navigate section for all the Escapist shows on right is gone! Wow, what a way to improve navigatioN!!!!!!!!

Please revert and ask web designer to go to his room and think about what he/she has done.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Please change the Font of your text! It hurts my eyes!

Who can read this? http://i.imgur.com/gt7jh.png

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I noticed I can't change back to the old site, with the setting under subscriptions even though I am in the pub club. I hope this gets fixed :)

Lunkis

Aug 7, 2009
The amount of empty space makes me think that something isn't loading.

Like, all the pretty images were replaced with... white?

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
At first I was confused when I opened up the site, but after a second I was all like, "Yeah, this is pretty neat." Some of the text and stuff is a bit too light, but nothing I'm going to complain about.

BRENDOG28

Nov 23, 2011
The new layout for the escapist is shit, why did they decide to fuck with it, i liked it the way it was, now im all confussed and the escapist now looks like a bunch of homeless people did it, theres nothing on it, it looks bad because there are white gaps everywhere and theres no functionality anymore......you disapoint me Escapist :(

Artlover

Apr 1, 2009
What can I said that hasn't been said already. I sure don't like it, that's for sure.

a more beautiful and readable site....easier navigation
Uh...

1 - Too bright, poor color scheme.

2 - General look & feel. This is not moving forward, this is moving backward. This is the way web sites used to look years ago when things were more primitive.

3 - Lack of function. It was nice having everything accessible on the side of the screen with a single mouse click. Now you gotta navigate to a menu bar, pick a section, wait for the pop-down, then pick what you want. Not to mention, the auto pop-down effect that is typical of these things is annoying and gets in the way. Sometimes, I just want to move the mouse out of the way, not pull down a menu. I will give you guys credit on one point tho, at least the menu goes away as soon as you mouse off, unlike some sites that require you to press something once it's opened. Regardless of doing the wrong thing the right way, it's still wrong. Adding extra effort and more mousing around is not "easier".

Then I wonder how much this cost? And I wonder if maybe it wouldn't have been wiser to spend that towards paying off all the contributors you guys owe money to rather then waste it on unnecessary, unwanted and largely disliked changes to the site that no one asked for?