The Old Republic: How does it measure up?

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
So those of us who decide to invest in what magazines have named the "fastest growing MMO of all time", Star Wars: The Old Republic, have had a decent chance to play through. A great deal of people have already reached maximum level and it seems like the production company is trying it's best to scramble together good end game content above and beyond what it put out for release.

My question to the escapist community is this: How do you think it measures up as an MMO? Will it dethrone WoW or at the very least rise up to the same level? Or is it another samey clone, no pun intended, destined to be relegated to the free-to-play section in a few months like DC Universe and just about every other MMO in the last few years.

I'm not putting my own opinion up because frankly I want to know what the general public thinks as a whole since frankly this whole will be decided by how many people like it, not singular forum trolls like myself.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wow. No replies. The Escapist doesn't seem to have many TOR fans (or haters). Maybe they are too busy playing it? I think that should change.

Anyway. I like it. It has everything I liked about WoW but I find that I actually care about the universe and the characters. At times, I actually have to think before making a decision. Something that WoW could never claim. Combat feels more visceral to me. Enemies can actually be threatening. There are some minor issues, but every MMO ever will have issues and nothing can ever be perfect.

Is it perfect? No. Is it good? I like it. Will it go Free to Play? I certainly hope not.

Full Disclosure. I played in the November Beta. I've been playing since December 13th (yeah I was a very early preorder). I currently have 5 characters (42 Juggernaut, 16 Assassin, 26 Mercenary, 27 Sniper, 4 Jedi Knight).
I'm such a geek.

Kingme18

Destroyer of Worlds
Mar 26, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Terribly.

Riddled with game breaking bugs and exploits. Thats forgivable for an MMO, but the way they have handled these problems? Unacceptable.

Then of course theres the lackluster combat, no trading allowed... Etc. Could go into detail but I cant be bothered right now.

To summarize, its pretty shit. I reckon it will go F2P in about a year and a half, and drop under 200,000 subscribers in the next 8 months.
I disagree with this statement almost more than I disagree with people who say COD is the best game series of all time. Not only is it an amazing MMO with a ton of work put into it, but it is also exceptional for a launch MMO. The combat is fun, if familiar if you've played WOW, and yes, there is trading allowed. There is one exploit that I know of, which is the dancing one, and I have yet to encounter a game breaking bug, along with the hundreds of members of my guild. They have more than handled these problems in acceptable manners. My question to you is, why do you hate this game so much?

To answer the OP: It's faring greatly, and is the fastest growing MMO of all time. If it doesn't dethrone WoW, it will definitely make a huge dent in WoW's fanbase.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
I realize that a lot of magazines are touting the whole 'fast growing' thing and I will say this about it: it's a misleading premise. You see SW:TOR is a well known and beloved franchise despite all of Mr. Lucas's efforts, and has a devoted and dedicated fan base. This virtually ensures a good return in the first month or so.

My question is how will it stand the test of time? Even just in terms of one year at the very least. After playing for a month can you see yourself doing the rest of the content for the next, oh say, six months? or twelve?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
lordmardok said:
I realize that a lot of magazines are touting the whole 'fast growing' thing and I will say this about it: it's a misleading premise. You see SW:TOR is a well known and beloved franchise despite all of Mr. Lucas's efforts, and has a devoted and dedicated fan base. This virtually ensures a good return in the first month or so.
"Fastest growing" is lazy magazine writers quoting Bioware's press releases word for word. Said press release was issued around a week ago, so how they managed to measure 'growth' when the game had been live for about 10 days, if that,... well, only EA/Bioware's PR department knows how they did that.

Anyway, I'll say what I always say about TOR. It's a good game but a bad MMO. The main class quests are well up to Bioware's usual standard and if you're looking for the closest thing you will likely ever get to KOTOR 3, or a typical Bioware RPG, then you'll have fun.

If you don't like heavily linear MMOs then look elsewhere. TOR is the themeparkiest themepark ever, and the worlds feel more like movie sets than actual worlds.

My question is how will it stand the test of time? Even just in terms of one year at the very least. After playing for a month can you see yourself doing the rest of the content for the next, oh say, six months? or twelve?
It will not beat, or even rival WoW. TOR launched with about 1.5 million players and that's as good as it will ever get for them. Very few MMOs ever maintain steady growth from their launch numbers these days, and TOR will be no exception.

I'd speculate two years to some kind of F2P model - less than two years if the update schedule sucks or EA gives in to temptation and starts pushing microtransactions at its subscribers. I'd guess it'll stabilise at 200 - 500K maybe, which would be good for any other MMO, but not for TOR.

I simply don't feel it has the depth to last. The people that came for the story aren't going to stay en masse for the raiding, and the raiders will eventually go back to WoW, like they always do...

...well unless Mists of Pandaria is even worse than expected.

Coldie

Oct 13, 2009
Kingme18 said:
I disagree with this statement almost more than I disagree with people who say COD is the best game series of all time. Not only is it an amazing MMO with a ton of work put into it, but it is also exceptional for a launch MMO. The combat is fun, if familiar if you've played WOW, and yes, there is trading allowed. There is one exploit that I know of, which is the dancing one, and I have yet to encounter a game breaking bug, along with the hundreds of members of my guild. They have more than handled these problems in acceptable manners. My question to you is, why do you hate this game so much?

To answer the OP: It's faring greatly, and is the fastest growing MMO of all time. If it doesn't dethrone WoW, it will definitely make a huge dent in WoW's fanbase.
Regarding trading: there were reports of account suspensions for buying up something off the AH and reselling at a higher price. I don't know if it's legit or not.

Exploits: there were at least three: the dancing combat bug, already fixed, a credit duplication exploit, and an infinite commendation exploit. There are claims of billions of exploited credits.

Fastest growing: even if that is true, it's completely pointless. The game is extremely heavily instanced. The planets are instanced, plus there are tons of personal instances in them. A typical planet instance will have a hundred people, which is acceptable for tiny planets, like the starter worlds or the Fleet, but later on planets become ludicrously huge and just as empty. Tatooine is gigantic, but you'll be done with it's 20 quests in a few hours and leave. Hoth is even bigger and even emptier - you might not even encounter a player in your time there. It's all for the better though. The game does not handle more than 20-30 players in the same area all that well.

The typical complaints for the game include:
* Horrible and non-customizable UI. No addons or macros of any kind. In addition to playing whack-a-health-bar minigame, raid healers are enjoying an additional challenge in health bars not showing actual health. No target-of-target, no threat indicators, no combat log.
* Terrible vanilla-WoW talents. 1% more healing, woo-bloody-hoo. The crafting is pretty bad, too.
* No automated LFG, no global LFG channels, but hundreds of group quests that require properly-specced tanks and healers. Also, no dual-spec. Your fleet pass to go respec has a cooldown of 18 hours and flying anywhere in your ship requires a whole lot of running around and several loading screens.
* Dead world. Every location is either a huge, empty area, packed with static groups of 3-5 mobs + a patrolling elite or two, or a series of identical huge corridors, packed with exact same mobs. That's it, that's the entire game, huge, static, empty. The towns are "populated" with mannequins that you can't even target. Everything is enormous, so you spend a lot of time running around (or fighting the same pack over and over to move forward). Travel is a huge timesink in this game.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
TOR is a pretty good game. I don't know how long it will last, though, since that's dependent on end-game content. Of the several MMOs I've played in the last few years, I'd have to say the leveling up process is definitely the most fun and it doesn't feel nearly as much like a "WoW-clone"(which is a retarded phrase anyway) as its detractors portray.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
The problem with end game content is that it has to at least feel like it has a purpose. In WoW the release content alone was fairly significant and the end game content was consistent and felt like a real event in the world. From BRD in vanilla WoW to BT in Burning Crusade and ICC in Lich King. It all felt like it was a real part of the world rather than a shoe-horned in high-difficulty dungeon placed arbitrarily at the end of the game.

Vidi Kitty

Feb 20, 2010
I am greatly enjoying the fully voiced interactions. It makes you feel more involved in whats going on with the quest instead of the usual "click on quest giver, click accept, check the tracker for what needs to be done" situation of other MMOs. I hardly even realize when I level up because I'm more set on experiencing the world than increasing my effective numbers.

And I am playing this sucker on an outdated XP system that barely scrapes up 10 fps in the game, so that should say something about how enjoyable it is.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
I like it a lot. Ive played a lot of MMOs, and this is the only one that can sustain my interest. Dunno how itll do in the long run, but in my opinion, its the best MMO since Ultima Online. Y'know, the first one.

Killspre

Aug 8, 2011
I like it, I have fun playing it, but its hardly perfect. A lot has been said but my main problem is how easy it seems to reach the level cap there are already so many lvl 50s pvp has been reduced to which ever side has more and to reach level cap so quickly just takes away the feeling of accomplishment of reaching the level cap. Don't get me wrong I don't think leveling should be a chore but its too easy I have been playing my sniper for a week and am already almost at the cap.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Much, much better than WoW was at launch.
Though the current WoW is better than ToR is now.
It's worth playing.

John1307

Sep 12, 2010
I got the game a few days after launch at the moment i am a level 38 sith sorcerer so far i love the game. Combat is fun, the story is amazing and ofcourse there is the UI pretty bad yes but nothing is perfect. Speaking of perfect the bugs are quite bad i grant you however it is a month old guys.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
Many complaints, but the way I see it most are comparing it to WoW. I don't think its fair to judge it on that. Gonna quote the large list of complaints, and go down the list.

Not sure if these are Coldie's complaints or is just generalizing on most players opinions. But here we go.

Coldie said:
Horrible and non-customizable UI.
*I think the UI is fine, serves its purpose at a basic level.

No addons or macros of any kind.
*Game doesn't need macros. Key-binds work just fine.
*Addons muddy up the game to the point groups will require players to have certain addons.

In addition to playing whack-a-health-bar minigame, raid healers are enjoying an additional challenge in health bars not showing actual health.
*Not sure what you mean by whack-a-health-bar minigame.
*But I see the health bars not showing as a bug, probably on the list to fix asap.

No target-of-target, no threat indicators, no combat log.
*Target of target is something they DO need to add. Threat indicators aren't needed but would be nice. No combat log? Most players wouldn't use it. Only to find out what killed them.

Terrible vanilla-WoW talents. 1% more healing, woo-bloody-hoo. The crafting is pretty bad, too.
*Not sure what to say about the talents... There will always be lack luster talents, and no group will be happy.
*Crafting is actually a nice change of pace for me. But needs to be reworked. Once you hit level 50, crafting is nearly useless. Also crafting is a huge money sink. Something I think WoW needed, instead of blowing the economy up with daily quests.

No automated LFG, no global LFG channels, but hundreds of group quests that require properly-specced tanks and healers.
*A LFG system would be nice, but isn't needed at the moment considering the amount of players in each zone. Something they will need to implement eventually.
*Global LFG channels would be filled with so much spam no one would even see your message.
*Many of the group quests can be completed with damage specs alone, as long as there's a healer. Crowd control is very useful if a group can work together. Later levels are tougher to accomplish them, as they should be.

Also, no dual-spec.
*Dual spec would be nice.

Your fleet pass to go respec has a cooldown of 18 hours and flying anywhere in your ship requires a whole lot of running around and several loading screens.
*I admit, lots of running around, there are however ships that take you to the fleet at every planet near your ship.

Dead world. Every location is either a huge, empty area, packed with static groups of 3-5 mobs + a patrolling elite or two, or a series of identical huge corridors, packed with exact same mobs. That's it, that's the entire game, huge, static, empty. The towns are "populated" with mannequins that you can't even target. Everything is enormous, so you spend a lot of time running around (or fighting the same pack over and over to move forward). Travel is a huge timesink in this game.
*Dead world with static groups? Gee that sounds like WoW. Towns with useless NPC? *coughWoWcough*
*Spend alot of time running around? How many times must I compare this game to WoW? (Since many people are already doing it.)
*Flight paths are faster than other games. Travel will always be a timesink in games. You cant move from place to place instantly. It takes the concept of open world and throws it out the window. (I use open world loosely.)

Just my opinions. *Raises Flame Shield*