The Old Republic: How does it measure up?

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
cieply said:
And for dessert, legendary Warhammer curve and funny bug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGsU_T9-pfo
Wow, I knew people left warhammer but I didn't realize how fast it happened. Same for AoC. Also interesting is that EVE keeps steadily going up. Interesting graph.

Vapus

May 15, 2010
Kingme18 said:
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Terribly.

Riddled with game breaking bugs and exploits. Thats forgivable for an MMO, but the way they have handled these problems? Unacceptable.

Then of course theres the lackluster combat, no trading allowed... Etc. Could go into detail but I cant be bothered right now.

To summarize, its pretty shit. I reckon it will go F2P in about a year and a half, and drop under 200,000 subscribers in the next 8 months.
I disagree with this statement almost more than I disagree with people who say COD is the best game series of all time. Not only is it an amazing MMO with a ton of work put into it, but it is also exceptional for a launch MMO. The combat is fun, if familiar if you've played WOW, and yes, there is trading allowed. There is one exploit that I know of, which is the dancing one, and I have yet to encounter a game breaking bug, along with the hundreds of members of my guild. They have more than handled these problems in acceptable manners. My question to you is, why do you hate this game so much?

To answer the OP: It's faring greatly, and is the fastest growing MMO of all time. If it doesn't dethrone WoW, it will definitely make a huge dent in WoW's fanbase.
It will only scratch wows paint, untill diablo ships.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
ravenshrike said:
I'm not even gonna point out that you were the one who brought up e-peen. Well, I suppose I just did.
I was trying to give you an out from a ridiculous statement, guy. I believe the only way someone could say TOR looks better than Rift, with a straight face, is if he/she plays on a mediocre computer. If you turn down all of Rift's settings, it starts to look more like Star Wars. At that point, if you prefer the TOR aesthetic, I can see how you might view it as the visually superior game. But that's the only instance, really.

More importantly, you showcase the nicest looking dungeon, even though gameplay wise it probably sucked the most, vs the first flashpoint where no one has any nifty abilities worth mentioning from a 6 month old beta vid, using a 7-8 month old beta build.
Gameplay-wise? Why do you keep injecting other factors into the discussion?

These videos were among the earliest high-res results I could find for both games using a random youtube search.

Course, there's the fact that constant floaty particle effects have little to do with the star wars universe and light constantly floating around your character would look stupid in the context of star wars.
As someone who never watched the Cartoon Network CGI animated series, I think the entire SWTOR aesthetic looks pretty out of place in the Star Wars universe. As someone else pointed out, The Force Unleashed is a far better example of what a current-gen SW game should look like - you know, actual texture work and detail, and character models that aren't woefully exaggerated and cartoonish.

I also won't mention that the The Old Republic's foliage looks nicer than that, as do the environments. Hoth from the top of Highmount looks better than anything I saw in Rift. Then there's the fact that if you look at individual animations, like the SCs lightning, it's not any better than than the Inquisitor's lightning. The engine could easily push that many particle effects, and in the heat of pvp warzones sometimes does, but they are not a common part of the game because they make zero sense context wise. Whereas in Rift you're a superzombie who when they were alive was at the top of their game already and get a big boost from eldritch forces. Well ,at least if you played Defiant, which had the only storyline worth a damn. The Guardian storyline made me want to kill myself. Fucking busybody gods.
You're bringing a lot of narrative elements into a graphics discussion...

I'm not talking about the raw number of particle effects. I'm talking about the fact that the light saber and lightning effects in TOR are simplistic and relatively weak. It's a very cartoonish aesthetic, which is great and all, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't take loads of pressure off the texture design and the graphics in general. I also think it's a rather vanilla and boring aesthetic - especially when the character models are so plain.

No point debating this, I suppose. I just think there are way, way more people on my side of the fence here. And that's even with blind license-induced fanboyism coloring everything in favor of TOR.

demotion1

Mar 22, 2011
I love TOR so far. It is extremely addictive and the gameplay is great so far. Battles are intense and if you go on a battle unprepared you will die. I have played many MMO's, WOW was not one of them though so i will not compare them.
I also think the music is amazing for TOR. Most of the time it has low volume and it raises the volume when necessary, in such a way that it is natural.
I like the fact you can do most things alone because some times you just want to play alone.
Grouping makes the game easy though i only group for Heoric missions.

Certainly worth my money and i will definately keep the sybscription for the foreseeable future.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Horrible EA customer support, bugs and general low quality on everything but voiceacting are making sure i'll never buy this game.

I'll rather wait for gw2.

Kvaedi

Jul 7, 2011
Well, the real problem with TOR, and most MMO's...they're nothing special. They're all WoW in space, or WoW in the Renaissance, or just WoW without playable Orcs. This gives most people interested in MMOs no reason to switch, except to check it out and have some fun, then get bored with the slight change in scenery. They're not going to become bigger than WoW, because you'll never beat someone by copying them. They know their idea better than you ever will. Throwing in a few changes but keeping most principles of the standard MMORPG in place will never be enough to be the best.