The Old Republic: How does it measure up?

n00dle37

Aug 29, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Suthainn said:
Theres also a ton of bugs and exploits, for example the ability to farm infinite currency after one particular quest, or the dancing one you mentioned, or that you cannot unsubscribe from the game if you are banned... Just a thousand small and not so small annoyances, met with either ignorance or mass ban hand outs by EA.
There are patches every single day currently fixing these bugs and getting the game better and better.
Personally, for a game that is released, costs 60 bucks and a monthly fee to play, I dont think thats good enough. But each to his own.
To be fair to the game for an MMO it has been a smooth launch. Most MMO's that I've played have been much more broken then SWTOR on launch, however you still have a right to be annoyed. It's clear that the game was pushed out to meet Christmas.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I didn't play much because I got bored half-way through the starter zone so I can't really put out a fair opinion of the game from my experience except that as you may have guessed I found the combat extremely lacklustre.

I know several people who own the game and when I tell them of my dislike for the combat system and how it feels like a WoW clone they tell me about how good the storyline is and how that's why they're staying and since it's a Bioware game im inclined to believe the story may well be very good, with that in mind I don't see it going free-to-play but instead buy-to-play a few months from now when the initial burst of users has completed the game and quit because the story is all that held them to it.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I have one level 25 character. I found the story is getting me through the side quests. It's what I expected as an MMO. I believe I will get one character for all classes through the story. What SW:TOR has after I have done that will be the big decider if I stay playing it or move on. Either way it's a great game. If they have/add lots to do at level 50 or DLC to add more story (and levels). I will keep playing.

The main thing that stopped me from playing WOW was the lack of story. Whatever I did it didn't feel like it mattered. I know there was an overall world story if you read every quest and talked to everyone, read all the ingame books. My heart isn't in the WOW world as much as it is for the Star Wars one.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
I don't know, to be fair. I've played the beta, and all I could think was... Wait, who modded WoW with Star Wars themes? The mechanics are identical, the much hiped Bioware TM story is meh, and it's only real advantage over WoW is (barring the StarWars rabid fandom) the fact that it's fully voiced. WoW actually has some great quest lines if you bother to read the text.

I really didn't like the gameplay with the ranged classes (the Smuggler in particular feels like playing a Siege Tank in Starcraft: deploy, nuke, un-deploy, deploy, nuke, un-deploy, and so on) and the time I had to spend on Coruscant as a Republic character was, and I'm really not exaggerating here, some of the worst time I've had with a game in my life. And I had to do it, because I really, really wanted to enjoy ToR, and I though, fine, fine, it's horrible here, but it has to get better later, right? Well, not really. And since leveling a character is one of the things I like about MMORPGs, having to go through that again? No. Just No.

Also as a WoW player, it's just not worth picking up a full priced game and paying the same subscription for what is currently a slightly more annoying version of the game I'm playing anyway.

However I see the game is very successfully, despite the fact that I thought it wouldn't quite be. I don't know if this is just Star Wars fandom, WoW hate, a combination, or something else. All I know is that, for me, a person who enjoys this kind of game, TOR was just not fun for some very clear reasons.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
The graphics/aesthetics look horrible from the videos I found. One of the reasons I didn't buy it.
A game from 2003 that looks better. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
I'm just gonna say one thing - you should all have better memory. AoC, RIFT and WAR had exactly the same rapid growth and super reviews. That's because such things are dependent on early game. MMOs however are based around end-game, and the only judge of it will be time.

I can go on and on for pages about game breaking bugs and abuses, about horrible moderation and customer service. But this game downfall will be in it's endgame and design choices, same as with WAR (btw Warhammer sub curve is now legendary)

Endgame od TOR:
PvP - everyone is grouped together, lvl 50 pros and lvl 10 scrubs are playing together, this makes for horribly unbalanced and, well, "un-fun" pvp. It quickly becomes boring and frustrating, and very limited number of maps does not help this situation. People that are in for pvp won't resub.

PvE - Bugs and lack of content will take it's toll. There is a reason that blizz is churning out content like crazy right now, and it's because people are "burned out" on this type of PvE. They get bored fast, I mean really fast. And any WoW+ will bore them as fast as regular WoW. There is very little things to grind for anyway. Everything interesting might get implemented in the future but they ran out of time. Guild capital ships, GOOD space combat, more BGs and more competetive PvP, more instances and raids - they won't make it in time. And even if they will, people will get bored with it as it's to similiar to wow.

And for dessert, legendary Warhammer curve and funny bug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGsU_T9-pfo

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I'd like to try it but the instancing really puts me off. One of the things I loved about World of Warcraft was that it felt like a living, breathing world. I just don't feel the same about TOR. It seems to me that every time a new MMO is released people are quick to tout it as the "next big thing" but to me, TOR is no different than any of the other "WoW-killers".

All of these "WoW-killers" had a certain gimmick they marketed to gamers and they all eventually failed because whilst their specific gimmick was well realized, the rest of the game was not. Warhammer had its public quests and innovative PvP system, Age of Conan had its "visceral skill based combat" and Keep Building/Sieging and TOR has its story focused "campaigns". The problem with these MMO's is that they're not only trying to be too much like WoW but are also trying to dethrone it. If MMO's focused more on cohabiting as opposed to overthrowing, they'd do a lot better.

World of Warcraft managed to overtake Everquest by being the better game. Blizzard's intent was not just to make money but to also create an amazing game, the latter being a concept that is sorely absent from the minds of post 2004 MMO developers.

Dumbfish1

Oct 17, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Dumbfish1 said:
It's a clone of EQ, but it's a very good one. So good it's actually the best EQ-clone there is, including WoW. If you want an EQ style MMO this is the best one. I find myself playing it for the story (Sith Inquisitor) more than to level up my character. There's virtually no grind.

However it does nothing to innovate, it copies the best features of other MMOs, but I think this is a dying format. It's most likely going to be the last great EQ style game, there's plenty of interesting looking MMOs coming up, planetside 2 and Guildwars 2 to name a few.
I fixed your post for you. I really wish more people weren't laboring under the impression that the genre started in November 2004. It might give them some perspective, as well as understanding that "WoW clones" are just the evolution of a distinct sub genre of MMO that has been around for over a decade now and started with Everquest.

They're not going anywhere any time soon, either. GW2 is an evolution of this sub genre as well.
That's a moot point though, isn't it? WoW popularized it, which is why every one calls them that, but it dosn't matter which game was first.

"WoW clones" are just the evolution of a distinct sub genre of MMO that has been around for over a decade now
SWTOR does nothing to innovate, It just combines the elements of other very similar games. The best you can say about it is the voice acting. I'm not saying it's a bad game, just that it isn't very original. My point was that the whole Everquest sub-genre dosn't have much shelf-life left.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
I've had a great time in ToR so far and I hope to continue doing so for a while yet.

However, their are number of issues with the game. The animations, the textures, the standard MMO hot key combat are all reminiscent of games before it. ToR does not try to rewrite the MMO handbook but merely slap a combination bioware dialogue with a star wars licence on to existing MMO features. Now personally I'm not too bothered by this, I bought the game knowing all that ToR would bring little in terms of innovation.

If you're looking for innovation of the MMO genre in ToR you will be disappointed, if you're more like me and just want to be entertained by bioware dialogue and the Star Wars setting then you most likely be fine.

Oh and on a side note I'm pretty much playing the game solo, playing this way the game is far closer to being knights of the old republic 3 than it is a proper MMO. Whether that says alot about me or the game is up for debate.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
DressedInRags said:
It's the only MMO I've tried (of which there are many) that has kept me playing. Make of that what you will. I have really enjoyed both the grouping and solo content.

But then, I really liked Tabula Rasa, so... I guess I just really want an MMo that lets me play as if I'm actually in control of the character. TOR has given me that sensation more than the other MMO's I've tried, with the exception of tabula Rasa, which I honestly quite liked.

I WOULD be playing Eve right now, but making your way in Eve is like trying to make your way to mountains of gold in the centre of 10km-wide swamp filled with dog shit and people who occasionally hurl you back to where you started.
My advice regarding EVE would be to find a corporation that's willing to teach you and fill in a role they need. There are plenty around, especially the ones running high level ops. They will provide you with what you need, as long as you have a fairly basic skill level. Just get in touch with some of them, and they will find a place for you. This is a very good way to learn about the game and make some money too.

Trust me, there's plenty to do even for a starter char, like hauling loot around (somebody's got to do it, and you get payed well for it) or exploring and making sure the route is safe.

KageUsagi

Jan 8, 2012
I think it looks exactly like WoW except with a better story. But, to me I would rather experience a great Bioware story by myself. I also don't understand why people from WoW would drop it and play this when they have large communities on WoW. I'm pretty disappointed in Bioware IMHO.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
ravenshrike said:
*insert golf clap here*
Ew.

Because a MSI Z68 GD80, i5 2500k OCed to 4.8 Ghz on air cooling with a max processor temp on prime 95 of 59 degrees Celcius, and an MSI Twin Frozr III 6950 certainly qualifies as a crap computer.
Oh c'mon, you're "this" guy? Now I feel stupid for engaging.

So you have a lot of discussions over the technical specifics of the graphics of SWTOR and Rift with living, breathing, shitting, eating human beings do you? I also find it amusing how you assume end user options equals better graphics. While greater customizability allows for better tailoring of graphics to individual systems it does not by any means follow that the underlying graphics are better. The only thing currently that Rift is technically superior on over SWTOR in terms of graphics is AA and texture lag upon initial load in to a planet. And with regards to AA that's because SWTOR's implementation of AA was extremely buggy so they removed the option entirely quite early in beta till it could be fixed.
And particle effects. And texture work. And... you know what, there's no point in trying to argue this further.

One of these games is ridiculously lush. One looks like WoW. This was *intentional*; they specifically gimped TOR graphics so it would run on more machines. I think the DEVS would admit that it doesn't hold up to Rift.

As for the pvp bugs, specifically the lag, that's because the code is still relatively unoptimized and the fact that the physics calculations and animation interactions are much, MUCH more complicated than anything showcased in Rift. Also partially because all the server hardware is run and maintained by HEROENGINE who clearly did not understand the computing speed needed for this MMO. Bouncing someone out over a pit or fire trap and force choking them in mid air is still one of the coolest things I've seen in an MMO.
Yeah, that would make sense except a) there's no reason for the code to be this poorly optimized, and b) the lag shows up, reliably, when none of the animation interactions or physics calculations are even in play yet.

The bit about the computer hardware, server-side, not being up to snuff is just a straight-up excuse, isn't it? I'm not looking for reasons why the ability lag sucks. I'm looking for it to get fucking fixed.

There are currently some nasty Flashpoint/Op bugs, possibly because the system is needlessly complicated. I can see why they wanted the options they put into the system, but it's introduced some issues.
What is so complicated about it? I didn't see much evidence of anything appreciably more complicated than what we've seen from other MMOs. More dialogue and cinematics, certainly, but those should be fairly bug-free, right? I mean the player has minimal control over those segments.

I hope they fix the ability lag and the bugs. I'd like another MMO with solid controls and enjoyable pvp. Until then, I think it's a mediocre game - based on, you know, my criteria. If I were in the market for another by-the-numbers Bioware story, I'd probably be more forgiving. I understand that a lot of people are happy with the game for this exact reason. But even if they fix the controls and take the story somewhere interesting, it still won't be as visually impressive as Rift.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Short shelf life.

Fun questing, fun leveling. WoW clone in every other way, bad PvE, no/poor end game. Combat isn't fluid in PvP and has responsiveness issues, but they are already working on fixing that.

On a technical level, it's a big fail. Many bugs, extremely poor graphics(there's no difference between medium and high, the textures should be much better), too many loading screens.

I'm still playing because of the story's and the PvP is probably the most balanced i've ever seen in an MMO. However, World PvP, Ilum, Combat and Warzones all need some serious polish.

Kinda wish they had just made KOTOR 3 at this point.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
May be fast growing but can it hold onto its subscribers? Will it still have the same amount a year from now? Will it have more time will tell.

For what its worth some people I played warhammer online with are playing it and they seem to be enjoying it. I think the biggest problems many people are having are the long wait times on some of the more populated servers but then again I'm not playing it atm so I could be mistaken.

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Think of the potential Jedi combat, for instance, has. Then compare it to TOR. Click on enemy, go make a cup of tea, maybe click an ability from time to time (which has a 0.5 second lag on it, by the way, game breaking in PvP).
Uhhhh... that doesn't work dude. You have to click each time you use an ability, including attack.

Post nitpicking aside, brilliant game. It's still buggy, but WoW wasn't much better at the start. I'm giving it some more time before I lay into it's shortcomings, it's still working itself out (WoW was pretty bad when I first started playing it).

Siyano_v1legacy

Jul 27, 2010
My personal small review

plus side:
companion, having someone at your side in combat or send other do your dirty works (crafting) is quite interesting concept

neutral side:
no/few music, personally not a big deal for me since I usually don't listen to game music itself
too story driven, well this is really more of a personal dislike because I don't usually read story (hyperactive brain) and just want to go in and play, all quest require choice and most of the time its just randomly choose or choose the option that give the wanted alignment
crafting seem useless, i'm not putting that in downside because it can be fixed

down side:
traveling between quest require too much running around and loading screen when changing planet
gameplay is just like any other mmo, press 2-3 button to kill one target
questing also is just like any mmo, kill X number of thing, loot X number of thing, activate X number of thing
talent feel like the old WoW talent, either you have +3% bonus damage, critical chance or attack speed, really? some other are just not a choice like most of the 31st talent.

other:
leveling at some point become tedious and its just about grinding your way to max level all over again like all mmo. At some point I know what to do to kill a single elite mob and don't need to just do the same 1-2-3-1-2-3 button to complete 90% of the mission do I really have to "suffer" from this boringness for another 20 level just to finally get to the "fun" part of end content.
emergency skill with 20 minute cooldown, I always hated those kind of skill that had more than 10 minute cooldown, what is the point? does it serve a purpose to have such kind of thing that may save you a couple of credit to not die and then just use the mecial probe that spawn you right at the same place?

Again all my opinion

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
I just unsubscribed.
While I enjoy the story and the questing in general there are 2 points that in combination take out all the fun and motivation to keep playing.
The biggest issue is the unresponiveness that was mentioned before. This leads directly to point 2.
PvP. It's just unplayable. Huge delay on all abilities, don't know how I'm supposed to interrupt enemy casts with ~2 sec delay on my interrupt. Everyone has a AOE knockback that can counter instant cast spells, again, only with luck because everything is so fucking delayed.
I understand they are working on it.
I'll follow the progress on that but as long as this isn't GREATLY improved, I'm not paying any more money for this game.
WoW has many flaws. But at least it doesnt feel like I'm playing with a 2k ms ping. So I'll stick to it for now