The Room

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
And yet Prof. Oak uses a Gen 1 rodent. Rattata is the most ferocious and terrifying beginning area rodent/small mammal. 1 Hyper Fang critical hit will kill anyone early on, except Geodude.

Jedisolo75

Aug 12, 2009
Thanks, I really needed a reminder of that, the nightmares were almost gone.

Seriously though, nice reference.

Sejborg

Jun 7, 2010
Grey Carter said:
The Room

The Ministry of Pokelove

Read Full Article
Pretty sure you mean "Room 101" and not "The Room". The Room is an entirely different thing.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
As a side note, for those of you who didn't get it; you should totally read 1984. It's a great book and an important piece of literature (IMO).

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
Ishal said:
My thoughts exactly, and that alone is enough to make me keep my distance. Then there is the possibility of powercreep with all these new pokemon. Don't know how bad it is or if it's even a problem, but I don't want to find out.

I do admire pokemon from a marketing perspective, though. Everything in it is designed to sell. The roundness of Pikachu to attract little kids (boys and girls). The fact that the pokemon talk with their names to help kids remember their names. It has to be one of the most clever marketing schemes of all time. Gotta catch'em all, after all.
Powercreep is actually not a problem. There are less things being banned from tournament play with each new generation (since DPPt, anyway). The meta game gets mixed up a bit (BW introduced some highly aggressive play that actually worked in the meta, and XY introduced the fairy type, a new way to counter dark, dragon, and fighting types, some of the most obnoxious in tourney play), but no real power creep. What mostly happens is the introduction of new type combinations and movesets, which simply shifts the meta, no powercreep.

Also, because I'm THAT guy, pokemon don't actually say their names. For the first time ever, Pikachu will saay "Pika pika" or some variant thereof on the battlefield, but everyone else still uses their "cries", which are more like animal cries than what the Anime would have you believe. Because as far as those into the games are concerned, the Anime is not, actually, canon.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Palora said:
SecretNegative said:
Uh, was this humor? No seriously? Am I meant to openly laugh at this? Or chuckle a little bit and say "that's was kinda clever" or what? I know quality control on the Internet is pretty much non-existant but come on. Really?
It's actually, I believe, a Star Trek reference. Picard was doing a secret mission and was captured by the Cardassian who then tortured and tryed to brain wash him (or something as evil). The first step is to get him to admit that there are 5 lights when in fact there are 4. (youtube picard torture) It's a good episode.
It's referring to 1984. I think the Star Trek episode you mentioned was actually referring to 1984 as well. There's a scene in 1984 where the main character is being brain washed into thinking that 2+2=5. Both were inspired by the same source material.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
A Brazil reference would have been a lot more hip and cool. I'm disappointed in you guys. I thought you were cool.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Freedom is the freedom to say that there are 151 pokemon. If that is granted, all else follows.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I thought a Pokémon's Dex number was based on when they were discovered.

Is that no longer true? Was that never true?

Zhukov said:
Wait... really?

I haven't payed attention since Red/Blue. Are there seriously 700+ of the little bastards running around now?
Yeah. (Though it may be worth noting that Digimon has had 1100+ for years.)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Also, is anyone else confused on how Fairy types are supposedly "newly discovered" Pokemon? What, did the natives of Kalo's just not see them?
It's even more confusing when you figure that some of the old Pokés are now Fairy type. In Kanto? Useless to dragon. In Hoenn? Useless to dragon. In Kalos? IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Or maybe that's what they WANT you to think!

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
From what I gathered, there is a reference to a book here but it anyone else also get a Game Of Thrones vibe ?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fox12 said:
It's referring to 1984. I think the Star Trek episode you mentioned was actually referring to 1984 as well. There's a scene in 1984 where the main character is being brain washed into thinking that 2+2=5. Both were inspired by the same source material.
Further, the intro post mentions the Ministry of Pokélove, making it fairly obvious where it comes from. Also, the use of a Ratatta, reminiscent specifically of the rats from the scene[footnote]And the very creepy implications of a use for Ratatta[/footnote]. Pretty sure Star Trek doesn't use rats in that ep.

But then, we reach the obvious issue: More people on The Escapist are likely to remember the Star Trek episode than a book they only read because it was a high school requirement.