The Room

Chris Ingersoll

Jun 21, 2013
SirCannonFodder said:
Zhukov said:
Wait... really?

I haven't payed attention since Red/Blue. Are there seriously 700+ of the little bastards running around now?
We're up to the 6th generation now, that's less than 100 in each release.
On average, yes. But Black/White added about 150 on their own last gen; this gen compensated for that by only adding like 60.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
hentropy said:
A Brazil reference would have been a lot more hip and cool. I'm disappointed in you guys. I thought you were cool.
Look at the background in panel 1.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Grey Carter said:
hentropy said:
A Brazil reference would have been a lot more hip and cool. I'm disappointed in you guys. I thought you were cool.
Look at the background in panel 1.
Well played, sirs. It did look familiar... still, something about Team Rocket being a state-orchestrated, made-up terrorist organization to scare the people into loving Pokemon would be fitting.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
I laughed so hard when I saw this. Great reference!
PokƩmon is such a retcon nightmare, has been since Gold/Silver. You'd be amazed what the people of this world just fail to notice. Still love the series though.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
Yeah, catching them all is now more of a burden than an achievement.
Also, is anyone else confused on how Fairy types are supposedly "newly discovered" Pokemon? What, did the natives of Kalo's just not see them?
I believe they get around this in the game by specifically saying that it's not a "new" type per say, only a new classification of type. After all, many of the fairy type pokemon are ones that already existed.

I find it weirder that they can retcon in prevolutions like Pichu that they didn't have in the first game.

EDIT: And as amusing as it is that some people thought it was a Star Trek reference, I know have the urge to rewatch that episode, does anyone know which series it was from?

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
I guess that makes more sense, but I wonder what Fairy only Pokemon were classed as before they came up with the classification.
99% sure that they were all just "normal" type, like Clefairy for example: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Clefairy_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

TizzytheTormentor said:
Yeah, those Baby Pikachu from "Pikachu's Goodbye" suddenly don't make a lot of sense huh?

I think Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged can explain this one:
"Why didn't Pegasus use the Egyptian God Cards during the Duelist Kingdom battles?"
"Because the writers hadn't come up with them yet"
Yeah pretty much... Also that makes me think that there really should be a Pokemon abridged.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
So the Gen Wars have started again, huh? *sighs resignedly and heads over to the nearest Cold War fallout shelter*

Off-topic: Progressive can kiss my ass.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
SecretNegative said:
Ok, it's a reference. Still not humor though.

Then again, it is a webcomic and something other than Zero Punctuation and Unskippable on the escapist,, so not much quality should be expected.
It's funny if you know the source material, fair enough if you don't but that doesn't mean it isn't humorous for the many people who do get the joke. Just saying, all reference jokes are going to be lost on some people so you can't knock this one because you personally don't know the source :)

Zachary Amaranth said:
But then, we reach the obvious issue: More people on The Escapist are likely to remember the Star Trek episode than a book they only read because it was a high school requirement.
You say that but I'm pretty sure more people recognised it's true origin, on the thread so far there's been at-least ten or more posters either directly acknowledging the influence from Nineteen Eighty Four or posting 'pokefied' quotes from the novel whereas only four users have mentioned Star Trek.

OT: One of your best yet, bravo. Love the pokemon theme going right now.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Ishal said:
Zhukov said:
Wait... really?

I haven't payed attention since Red/Blue. Are there seriously 700+ of the little bastards running around now?
My thoughts exactly, and that alone is enough to make me keep my distance. Then there is the possibility of powercreep with all these new pokemon. Don't know how bad it is or if it's even a problem, but I don't want to find out.

I do admire pokemon from a marketing perspective, though. Everything in it is designed to sell. The roundness of Pikachu to attract little kids (boys and girls). The fact that the pokemon talk with their names to help kids remember their names. It has to be one of the most clever marketing schemes of all time. Gotta catch'em all, after all.
Not exactly. While there certainly are fewer Pokemon per generation that feel useless (I'm sorry, Flareon :( ), there are plenty of Pokemon from the first games that can be used competitively.

Gens IV and Gen V did go kinda crazy with Legendaries, but they cut back on new ones in X/Y (so far only 3)

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
Legion said:
This is starting to get sinister.

I think we need a Planet of the Apes story arc next. Where the Pokemon rise up and learn to talk, and the humans are forced to battle each other instead.
"Take your stinkin' paws off me you damn dirty Mankey!"