The Room

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
This is starting to get sinister.

I think we need a Planet of the Apes story arc next. Where the Pokemon rise up and learn to talk, and the humans are forced to battle each other instead.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait... really?

I haven't payed attention since Red/Blue. Are there seriously 700+ of the little bastards running around now?

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a running shoe stamping on a human face - forever."

"To faint hating them, that was freedom."

Zhukov said:
Wait... really?

I haven't payed attention since Red/Blue. Are there seriously 700+ of the little bastards running around now?
We're up to the 6th generation now, that's less than 100 in each release.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Zhukov said:
Wait... really?

My thoughts exactly, and that alone is enough to make me keep my distance. Then there is the possibility of powercreep with all these new pokemon. Don't know how bad it is or if it's even a problem, but I don't want to find out.

I do admire pokemon from a marketing perspective, though. Everything in it is designed to sell. The roundness of Pikachu to attract little kids (boys and girls). The fact that the pokemon talk with their names to help kids remember their names. It has to be one of the most clever marketing schemes of all time. Gotta catch'em all, after all.

Palora

Apr 17, 2009
SecretNegative said:
Uh, was this humor? No seriously? Am I meant to openly laugh at this? Or chuckle a little bit and say "that's was kinda clever" or what? I know quality control on the Internet is pretty much non-existant but come on. Really?
It's actually, I believe, a Star Trek reference. Picard was doing a secret mission and was captured by the Cardassian who then tortured and tryed to brain wash him (or something as evil). The first step is to get him to admit that there are 5 lights when in fact there are 4. (youtube picard torture) It's a good episode.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Yeah, catching them all is now more of a burden than an achievement.
Also, is anyone else confused on how Fairy types are supposedly "newly discovered" Pokemon? What, did the natives of Kalo's just not see them?
Wait wait. In episode 6 of the original series it was implied that Pokémon might have come from space on comets. It's perfectly possible they arrived just recently on another comet.

OT: Oh man, that poor fella. I wonder what torment he'll be put through next.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I did not catch them all, I did naat.

Oh, hi Oak.

I'm thoroughly disappointed that wasn't the comic. I demand a rewrite.

You can't just title a webcomic "The Room" and then not use a dated meme like that. Goodness. Think of the children.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
And despite all my rage, I am still just a Rattata in a cage.
bartholen said:
OT: Oh man, that poor fella. I wonder what torment he'll be put through next.
He'll be made to update the PokeRap. With every. Single. One.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Palora said:
SecretNegative said:
Uh, was this humor? No seriously? Am I meant to openly laugh at this? Or chuckle a little bit and say "that's was kinda clever" or what? I know quality control on the Internet is pretty much non-existant but come on. Really?
It's actually, I believe, a Star Trek reference. Picard was doing a secret mission and was captured by the Cardassian who then tortured and tryed to brain wash him (or something as evil). The first step is to get him to admit that there are only 3 lights when in fact there are 4. (youtube picard torture)
It's a 1984 reference. You've got the Ratatta in a cage, the name of the comic being "The Room", and the text being "The Ministry of Pokelove".

I'm rather surprised that no other posts have pointed this out.

Edit: It does look like recruit00 got it.

Edit 2: And SirCannonFodder....

...okay, several posts have obliquely referenced it, but I'm the first pedantic killjoy to reference it specifically.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
I thought this was about <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_%28film%29>the best movie ever made, but it turns out it was just some obscure indie game.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Kilo24 said:
Palora said:
SecretNegative said:
It's actually, I believe, a Star Trek reference. Picard was doing a secret mission and was captured by the Cardassian who then tortured and tryed to brain wash him (or something as evil). The first step is to get him to admit that there are only 3 lights when in fact there are 4. (youtube picard torture)
It's a 1984 reference. You've got the Ratatta in a cage, the name of the comic being "The Room", and the text being "The Ministry of Pokelove".

I'm rather surprised that no other posts have pointed this out.
I was going to put "Did anybody else get the reference?", but to be honest I thought it was kind of obvious, for the very reasons you described.

Then again, we had to do an essay on Room 101 in English back in school, so I suppose I didn't have any choice in knowing where it was from.