The Stanley Parable is... is... wow...

Feb 22, 2009
Yep. It's incredible, and you can't describe why to people in order to get them to play it. It's got that perfect combination of a deep understanding of narrative, and a great sense of humour to offset any accusations of 'pretentiousness'.

Game of the year and I feel sorry for you if you don't like it/give it a chance.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Honestly, this is a game that people are going to love and going to hate, but I still think it's something everyone should at least try, simply because it's so odd, and so far removed from anything that you've (or at least I've) ever experienced before, that you just have to experience it at least once.

What I like about it, and one reason it feels so unique, is that it's one of those things that literally could not work in any other medium besides video games. Also, people are asking "how long is it?". The honest answer is "I have no idea". I've had games last 30 seconds, I've had them last 30 minutes, and I still have no idea how much more content there actually is, because there are almost always parts where you can make different decisions.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
The Lugz said:
the bottom line is simply, this is a 1 hour long game
It's patently not an hour long, I put four in during my first session and I've still not seen everything. Check the hours linked from my Escapist profile.

Bottom line is you're saying it's something it's not, perhaps it's best reviewed by people who have actually played it?

roski

Oct 19, 2013
Anyone who finds Douglas Adams funny will definitively get a good laugh out of this. If you don't like D. Adams, or hated the Hitchhiker's Guide you should probably stay away from it.
Personally, I think it's worth every cent, even though it's relatively short, and I wouldn't pay more for a 100 hour-long tour to a Skinner box.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
GoaThief said:
The Lugz said:
It's patently not an hour long, I put four in during my first session and I've still not seen everything. Check the hours linked from my Escapist profile.

Bottom line is you're saying it's something it's not, perhaps it's best reviewed by people who have actually played it?
How long does a single run last though?

OT:

As much as I enjoy games like these (I really enjoyed the demo. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face) I feel empty once I've finished with them. That makes it harder to justify buying them when they're $5+

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm going to be 100% honest here: My problem with the game is everyone refuses to actually describe what it is and the replies whenever anyone asks are all meme spouting fuckheads who then flood the thread with "8" and "Tuesday" and things like "It's 30 seconds and it's 10 days".

Give me a fucking break; the fanbase has killed my interest in this game already.
If the game is like the demo, then it's not "indescribable" by any stretch of the imagination.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
IamLEAM1983 said:
bluepotatosack said:
I was turning off computers like a mother. Until... "Input received."
Then this begs the question. Did you reach Heaven?

Because buttons.
Not yet... I've found two of the computers that had the input screen. The bar makes me think I need to find two more.

Pseudoboss

Apr 17, 2011
The mod seems to me to be a metagame. One playthrough isn't much more than a short video. Taking all the various options and decisions that you can make after replaying it is where the game differentiates it from video and begins to be a game.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Weaver said:
I'm going to be 100% honest here: My problem with the game is everyone refuses to actually describe what it is and the replies whenever anyone asks are all meme spouting fuckheads who then flood the thread with "8" and "Tuesday" and things like "It's 30 seconds and it's 10 days".

Give me a fucking break; the fanbase has killed my interest in this game already.
If the game is like the demo, then it's not "indescribable" by any stretch of the imagination.
It's not so much that it's "indescribable" as that it's very hard to talk about it without going into serious spoiler territory. I hope you try it at some point, preferably after the annoying fans have long since shut up about it. It really is a worthwhile game to play.

The best way I can describe it without spoiling too much is this: the narrator is trying to tell a story. You have the opportunity to completely throw it off the rails, and it is glorious to behold.

You don't need to worry about it being pretentious either. It's clever, but it's much closer to Douglas Adams than it is to Pynchon.

Don't let the fans ruin it for you. Portal is still a good game, no matter how many obnoxious memes it spawned.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
GoaThief said:
The Lugz said:

you know what? i haven't timed it, but the story the game is based on under even the most convoluted path cannot take 4 hours, unless there's an 'maze ending' hidden somewhere.. and i honestly wouldn't put it past them so kudos for finding that. because even if you pace in circles in the rooms you'd just end up with some silly ending or another so essentially you've been off achievement hunting, but yes there are a whole bunch of endings that's very true and even a few new objects to click if you reset the narrator often enough.

does that honestly pass for content nowadays? we used to call that a new seed.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
The Lugz said:
does that honestly pass for content nowadays? we used to call that a new seed.
Oh don't you worry, AAA publishers got you covered with tacked on multiplayer, co-op, DLC and addons. Oh all the glorious content.

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
I don't want to spoil anything about this game because it really is just awesome, it will teach you something about yourself. yeah it's not a lot of content for 12 dollars but judging artistic endeavors by content is stupid. You still pay 10 dollars to go see an hour and a half movie as you would a 3 hour movie. In the 1 hour or so I played it so far I got to experience something wonderful, and that experience I can guarantee you is worth your money. I'd much rather pay 12 dollars for a quality and awesome experience than 12 hours of quantity. This isn't a game, it's an experience, don't buy it if all you want is a game.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Honestly these are the types of games that I really enjoy and I would buy it OP if I had the right platform for it. E.I I don't have a gaming PC.
Also, I watched the Mod version on Youtube and it was differently the most entertaining thing I watched in a long time, but has this question been answered yet?

The_Echo said:
Is there anything new compared to the original mod?
If the answer is no, I'm going to have to agree with others and say its not really worth my time and money. It sure is unique, but I can't see myself paying for content I've already seen for free.

fish iron4

Dec 6, 2010
I really want to express to everyone that this game isn't a "Gamez is art" type of experience, I cannot describe it but the Stanley parable is downright amazing, its worth not spoiling ANY of it and can change dramatically on how you play
it can be boring and short (Obeying the narrator) or by going off and going in completely random directions it can be downright hilarious and genuinely brilliant.
I reckon it's at last worth giving the demo a shot and seeing if its kind of humour is to your taste.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Story said:
If the answer is no, I'm going to have to agree with others and say its not really worth my time and money. It sure is unique, but I can't see myself paying for content I've already seen for free.
Same here. They'll have to have thrown in quite a bit compared to the original mod to justify a $14 purchase, at least twice as much content if not more. If not, I can just save my cash and play the original mod instead.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
wulf3n said:
GoaThief said:
The Lugz said:

How long does a single run last though?

OT:

As much as I enjoy games like these (I really enjoyed the demo. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face) I feel empty once I've finished with them. That makes it harder to justify buying them when they're $5+
#Warning, spoiler tag below#

firstly, if you enjoyed the demo you'd probably really like the game. it's just more of the same.

and the answer is anything from 30 seconds to 15 minutes
you add up a few playthroughs and that's going to be mr average joe's experience of the game.

it's definitely not possible to sniff down every corridor and poke a pen in all the electrical sockets and collect all achievements in 1 hour, however you can play through what i'd define as 'the content' a better description is below for those who have played the game, are brave or don't care about spoilers.

the problem is this game is hard to define without explaining it in plain terms.

as most of the endings are accessed from 3/4 choice rooms and a corridor or two. you can experience a good chunk in 1 hour. if you stand around for long periods you occasionally get some extra flavour dialogue along the lines of 'well this was worthwhile, wasn't it' or 'perhaps the game is giving you a hint' or 'i've totally lost it this time, go back to the beginning'

there are, according to the steam forums about 14 endings along with several set redressing events if you ignore the speed running and silly side events, that's 10 paths with a possible different decoration, which average out to say 12 minutes each ( this is assuming we know all the endings, we probably don't it's usual for these games to have a couple Easter eggs tucked away for a moth or two )
but that all works out to roughly 120 minutes, which is two hours but that assumes you're following and know the exact path you need to take to get a new parable, which for most people is impossible so you'll probably just get a re dressed set or stuck in a loop where you experience the same 3/4 parables from a slightly different path which could extend the game to 5/6 hours.

so, are we clear? you're running in circles because of the complex game gating that's going on, you're being fed 'waiting dialogue' in rooms and run ragged by drill Sargent narrator.

it's taking the concept of a rogue-like procedurally generated game to mix the main story up, but then they've recorded appropriate dialogue for the correct spots in said game to create the illusion the game is following your actions and the narrator is really there.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Maze1125 said:
Have you ever enjoyed a movie or TV programme?
On rare occasion, but I don't follow many TV shows (still haven't seen a single episode of breaking bad or Game of Thrones) and I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that was still in theaters

In which case, why can't you imagine yourself enjoy media that's part game and part movie?
Because if I'm playing a game I'm seeking to be involved as a player, and if I watching a movie my intent is almost always to kick back with a bowl of popcorn and/or a small bottle of vodka and relax. A game that mixes the two doesn't give me the enjoyment and stimulation of the former, but forces just enough interaction to prevent the "feet up, brain off" relaxation of the latter.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
The Lugz said:
GoaThief said:
you know what? i haven't timed it, but the story the game is based on under even the most convoluted path cannot take 4 hours, unless there's an 'maze ending' hidden somewhere..
Actually, the four hour thing involves a Baby and a Button. I won't spoil anything else, but that's what takes 4 hours.

OT: I plan on getting this game ASAP. I really want to test out some Ideas I've got from watching LP's of it...