The Suicide Squad (James Gunn) Trailer

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just realized they're trying to be the next Ocean movies, and they're about as good as Ocean's 8. I don't know what's going on with Margot Robbie, but she needs to fire her agent. She's a wonderful actress and usually the highlight of her movie, but she's never been in a good movie. She is always that little spec of gold dust in a pile of dog shit, if she doesn't go for a good movie soon she'll go the Leslie Neilson rout of being a parody of herself.

I mean wow, between this, Suicide Squad, that God awful Harley Quinn movie, its like DC is determined that yeah, you liked Endgame? You thought Winter Soldier was good? We'll we're Bizzaro Marvel, and for every good movie you get, you're getting a huge dogshit pie to the face from us.
Suicide Squad was a clearly hacked apart and stitched together slog of a movie with major plot points coming and going, being forgotten about, and then it just ended. Birds of Prey wasn't a movie, it was a variety show of scenes loosely connected by characters sharing the same name, but every scene was a different tone, lighting, setting, personality, motivation, drive and plot, and it just kinda ended having not done anything.
This movie looks equally as bad. Why they're still doing the DCEU is beyond me, especially after the Synder Cut proved that the execution of the projects was never the problem, they were fundamentally flawed from the beginning and even an extra 4 years of development, $70+ million, and 2 more hours couldn't make a horrible movie good, it was merely passable.
Dude, chill out. I get it, you don't like the direction the DCEU is going, but like it or not, at least the DC movies stick out compared to most MCU films (especially and importantly Phase 2). Yes, WB/DC screwed up at the beginning, but everyone falters. After Snyder dropped and new blood/other talents were hired in, reception was mostly even on both ends. Critics, audiences, and box offices. Wonder Woman, Aqua Man ($1 billion, baby!), and Shazam were smash hits. I watched those movies more than I care count most of the MCU. I watched Man of Steel more times over most of the phase 1 films. Not to mention, DC got more experimental with their projects before the MCU did with WandaVision and Falcon & Winter Soldier. I do look forward to the latter the most.

The Snyder Cut I still have 0% interests in, but it struck a chord with both audiences and critics. I may not like the film, but if people are happy about it, I live and let live. I look forward to SS2 and future DC works. Peace out.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I just realized they're trying to be the next Ocean movies, and they're about as good as Ocean's 8. I don't know what's going on with Margot Robbie, but she needs to fire her agent. She's a wonderful actress and usually the highlight of her movie, but she's never been in a good movie. She is always that little spec of gold dust in a pile of dog shit, if she doesn't go for a good movie soon she'll go the Leslie Neilson rout of being a parody of herself.
I think that I, Tonya is an excellent piece of work, and Mary Queen of Scots just about holds together.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Dude, chill out. I get it, you don't like the direction the DCEU is going, but like it or not, at least the DC movies stick out compared to most MCU films (especially and importantly Phase 2). Yes, WB/DC screwed up at the beginning, but everyone falters. After Snyder dropped and new blood/other talents were hired in, reception was mostly even on both ends. Critics, audiences, and box offices. Wonder Woman, Aqua Man ($1 billion, baby!), and Shazam were smash hits. I watched those movies more than I care count most of the MCU. I watched Man of Steel more times over most of the phase 1 films. Not to mention, DC got more experimental with their projects before the MCU did with WandaVision and Falcon & Winter Soldier. I do look forward to the latter the most.

The Snyder Cut I still have 0% interests in, but it struck a chord with both audiences and critics. I may not like the film, but if people are happy about it, I live and let live. I look forward to SS2 and future DC works. Peace out.
I mean sure they stand out, in the same way a bread submarine stands out, but that doesn't make them good. I would say even the bad MCU movies like Iron Man 3, Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel are by far better than even the best of the DCEU movies, including and limited to the first half of Wonder Woman, and that scene from BvS where Batman saves Martha.
I think if you want any clear evidence of the difference between MCU and DCEU, Marvel is still going, and DC may have done their swan song with the Synder cut. The rest, including Suicide Squad 2 feels more like contractually obligated to release this, rather than this is a on-going part of the world building. I would be surprised given that Batman and Superman are being rebooted, Flash is likely never to have a movie, Cyborg is gone, Wonder Woman is in the time-out corner, Shazam 2 is in constant rewrites, and who knows where Hollywood falls on Aquaman 2 and deciding if Amber Herd or Johnny Depp is the better actor to side with, if the entire DCEU is closed and they just run out the clock on contracts.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The rest, including Suicide Squad 2 feels more like contractually obligated to release this, rather than this is a on-going part of the world building.
Fine by me. I prefer they have a stand alone ending without any sequel hooks.

I would be surprised given that Batman and Superman are being rebooted
That's technically already happened with both of them. The Batman, but it's post pone due to Robert Pattison catching COVID. Then there is the Superman and Lois TV show. Different universe and all that jazz, but it shows they are experimenting, trying, and succeeding with their other projects. Animated or Live Action.

Flash is likely never to have a movie, Cyborg is gone,
Sad, but there is always a next time.

Wonder Woman is in the time-out corner
She'll be back.

Shazam 2 is in constant rewrites, and who knows where Hollywood falls on Aquaman 2 and deciding if Amber Herd or Johnny Depp is the better actor to side with, if the entire DCEU is closed and they just run out the clock on contracts.
Did not know about the Shazam 2 situation. I'm sure something will work out. As for AM2, if they have to drop Amber Herd, so be it. And if none of these sequels happen, it was great run. I am always looking forward to new things.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I am always looking forward to new things.
See I guess this is my sticking point, I'm not looking forward to new things, I'm looking forward to good things, and the two are distinctly different.
I want good DCEU, oh fuck do I want it. I've always loved the Batman/WonderWoman relationship and would love to see an actually good, chemical, version of it. I think the Flash is one of the best heroes ever, period, instead in the DCEU we get this weird scrawny, cowardly, waddling Flash whose #1 power is one Wonder Woman and Superman already share, and sorta kinda beat up a boomerang guy that one time in that movie that didn't make sense.
Not form a new standpoint, but merely a good one, Henry Cavil, Batfleck and debatably Gal Gadot are the only reusable casted character. Actually I'm being unfair, Ray Fisher's Cyborg deserves to continue, but unfortunately Joss Whedon and his racism torpedoed his career.
Keep them, reboot the stories, and try again. Its not new inherently, but it can be good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
See I guess this is my sticking point, I'm not looking forward to new things, I'm looking forward to good things, and the two are distinctly different.
True, but you can have something good and new at the same time. And by new, I mean a new product.

Henry Cavil, Batfleck and debatably Gal Gadot are the only reusable casted character.
Fixed. Ain't a debate about it.

Actually I'm being unfair, Ray Fisher's Cyborg deserves to continue, but unfortunately Joss Whedon and his racism torpedoed his career.
I knew Whedon had asshole moments, but I did not know it wen that far. Thank Christ, I was never a fan of him to begin with. He stole from Outlaw Star too, but that's a super minor offense compared to racism on the set.

Keep them, reboot the stories, and try again. Its not new inherently, but it can be good.
Fine by me either way, just learn to balance and mix it up every once in a while.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I knew Whedon had asshole moments, but I did not know it wen that far. Thank Christ, I was never a fan of him to begin with. He stole from Outlaw Star too, but that's a super minor offense compared to racism on the set.
Oh yeah Ray Fisher had this whole thing about racism on the JL set, and said it was Joss, and the Studio cleared him of wrong doing, and then it came out Joss did a lot of casting couch shit on Angel and Buffy, actresses like Charisma Carpenter have come out that Joss was visibly upset when she brought her husband to watch filming and asked her if she wanted to keep her baby, and other actresses like Michelle Trachtenberg have come out and said during their filming, underage mind you, crew were under strict orders not to leave her alone with Joss. The dude, like a lot of male feminists, turned out to just be a creep.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ah. Alrighty then.

Ok, I didn't think the first Suicide Squad or Birds of Prey were all that bad. Lots of room for improvement, but I am well aware that they could have been much worse, you don't have to prove it to me with this film. That looks awful.

Fingers crossed that the trailer isn't representing the movie very well, but I - oh hey, is that Pete Davidson? Huh, looks like, oh yeah, his name is in the credits, Pete Davidson is in this film *googles* playing Richard Hertz *more googles* who I don't know or care about.

The dude, like a lot of male feminists, turned out to just be a creep.
In his case, not to the surprise of many, people (who'd followed his career but didn't know him personally) had been dubious about him for ages. Very good at making the right noises, less so about following through.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I don't know. I like everybody involved, but the jokes here were hit or miss. The gore looks good though, in the way that it's not childishly abundant. I am kind of excited to see what kind of stupid comic book bullshit we're going to see, exhibit A being Starro.
Woah whoa whoa! Hold on a second. Exhibit A being what?? *checks trailer*

...Yep. That's "Exhibit A" alright. And I have to say, that's pretty high up on the list of characters I never expected to see in live action.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The movie is good, and you know it. Not perfect, but just regular good.
It's about having a standard for what makes a movie good, great, masterful, abysmal, mediocre, forgettable, etc. If Wonder Woman is a "good" film (7/10) then a worse movie like WW84 can't be "good" so it's maybe a 5. When you've seen enough movies and like to review and critique them, some sort of a continuity forms from The Room to Citizen Kane with all other movies in between. Like, I couldn't call Birds of Prey a good movie even though it's better than The Room because it's infinitely worse than Citizen Kane and still clearly beneath Aquaman for example and Aquaman too is far from being Citizen Kane (The Room being an example of an abysmal movie and Citizen Kane of a masterful movie).
Oh yeah Ray Fisher had this whole thing about racism on the JL set, and said it was Joss, and the Studio cleared him of wrong doing.
He did throw the race card at things that weren't about Joss or race (color correction and characters who would've been cut from the theatrical version anyways) so it's the studio clearing themselves.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's about having a standard for what makes a movie good, great, masterful, abysmal, mediocre, forgettable, etc. If Wonder Woman is a "good" film (7/10) then a worse movie like WW84 can't be "good" so it's maybe a 5. When you've seen enough movies and like to review and critique them, some sort of a continuity forms from The Room to Citizen Kane with all other movies in between.
Welcome to life. everyone has their own opinions and standards.

being Citizen Kane (The Room being an example of an abysmal movie and Citizen Kane of a masterful movie).
CK ain't a bad film, but it's way too over hyped and overrated. Most people put up so high just to sound smart, peer pressure, or be glorified yes men/women to old farts.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Welcome to life. everyone has their own opinions and standards
Yes "and you know it", right?
CK ain't a bad film, but it's way too over hyped and overrated. Most people put up so high just to sound smart, peer pressure, or be glorified yes men/women to old farts.
Some people's opinions are bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes "and you know it", right?
I have standards, but I don't have a stick in my ass about them. Sometimes it's best to let loose do what works for "you" and not what "everyone else" thinks.

Some people's opinions are bad.
If you're referring to me, guess what? 0 Fucks given! If not, some people have bad opinions on films, tv, games, etic. I don't care. As long as the people or person in question don't act like complete assholes about it.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
As long as the people or person in question don't act like complete assholes about it.
Then you understand why I'd defend calling Birds of Prey a godawful movie (an opinion that I share), because you cared enough to comment on that and now you're saying you only care if someone's acting like a complete asshole.

edit: Personally I do wonder how people come up to baffling conclusions on what kind of a movie is considered good and bad and so on, but in my experience it's mostly down to having a different outlook on movie watching in general.

edit2: and your second sentence about Citizen Kane is just wrong. It's used as an example of an old masterpiece, sure, but you describe a bad stereotype of some brainless elitists.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then you understand why I'd defend calling Birds of Prey a godawful movie (an opinion that I share),
Oh, right I did say the "you know it". That part was me, playing around, so my apologies for coming off like an ass. That was not my intention. You don't like it, fine by me. Me and a whole bunch of others love it.

edit: Personally I do wonder how people come up to baffling conclusions on what kind of a movie is considered good and bad and so on, but in my experience it's mostly down to having a different outlook on movie watching in general.
I am of a similar way, but I prefer things being different. If everyone shared the exact same opinion right down to the letter, this world be beyond so fucking boring.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I prefer things being different. If everyone shared the exact same opinion right down to the letter, this world be beyond so fucking boring.
Yeah, and I get that if someone's dislike for a movie comes from "it's different and I don't like it" without qualifying that properly then it doesn't hold much weight. Then again when they do qualify it I'd trust them to having figured that out for themselves instead of parroting public opinion.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Then again when they do qualify it I'd trust them to having figured that out for themselves instead of parroting public opinion.
Which is still a huge problem when it comes to YouTubers reviewing games or film. The amount of people I've met parroting Cinema Sins and not backing their shit up is astonishing. I am exaggerating a bit, but there are some people who don't wanna act like they can't think for themselves or pretend to think for themselves.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I just realized they're trying to be the next Ocean movies, and they're about as good as Ocean's 8. I don't know what's going on with Margot Robbie, but she needs to fire her agent. She's a wonderful actress and usually the highlight of her movie, but she's never been in a good movie.
Not even The Big Short?

Yeah, it's a cameo, but still...

I mean sure they stand out, in the same way a bread submarine stands out, but that doesn't make them good. I would say even the bad MCU movies like Iron Man 3, Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel are by far better than even the best of the DCEU movies, including and limited to the first half of Wonder Woman, and that scene from BvS where Batman saves Martha.
IMO, IM3 and Dr. Strange are two of the best MCU movies, while Captain Marvel is right in the centre of the list (yes, I've seen every MCU movie, and like many movie series, I've got a ranking list stored - bite me).

On the other hand, if I'm comparing the DCEU and MCU, I have to give it to the MCU in terms of quality. The MCU's never produced something as dire as Batman v Superman, and the DCEU has never produced something as good as Spider-Man: Far From Home.

I think if you want any clear evidence of the difference between MCU and DCEU, Marvel is still going, and DC may have done their swan song with the Synder cut. The rest, including Suicide Squad 2 feels more like contractually obligated to release this, rather than this is a on-going part of the world building. I would be surprised given that Batman and Superman are being rebooted, Flash is likely never to have a movie, Cyborg is gone, Wonder Woman is in the time-out corner, Shazam 2 is in constant rewrites, and who knows where Hollywood falls on Aquaman 2 and deciding if Amber Herd or Johnny Depp is the better actor to side with, if the entire DCEU is closed and they just run out the clock on contracts.
I think it's a fair point, but I think the dye's pretty much cast - the MCU built its first 'saga' on film to film continuity, getting especially heavy in Phase 2 onward (whether this is good or bad is debatable). The DCEU tried that up to Justice League, now it's using string continuity. So I figure the DCEU will keep going, just without any grand arc, unless The Flash movie does a do-over.

Honestly, I think a better comparison to the MCU would be the Arrowverse - both have stronger inter-series continuity, both have regular team-ups, and the Arrowverse has had a more positive reaction than the DCEU.