The Suicide Squad (James Gunn) Trailer

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
God, would it have killed them to call it something else?

Anyway:

I don't know. I like everybody involved, but the jokes here were hit or miss. The gore looks good though, in the way that it's not childishly abundant. I am kind of excited to see what kind of stupid comic book bullshit we're going to see, exhibit A being Starro.
Agreed basically.

Gore looks good.

Jokes seem quite immature and not really fitting it just seemed like they were added for shock value which if this were a Troma film like Gunn used to work on then sure but it's not it's Suicide Squad and that's always had more of an edgelord grim humour to it. I mean really the Harley Quinn Angel spunk joke just felt so off. I get she's meant to be somewhat weird and oblivious to social norms but that felt really way too far off. Especially as she's on about stuff she likes and the implications of ......... you know what I'm gonna stop right there with that thought.

I will say The Polka-dot man joke landed well though the just absolute nihilism felt quite funny especially how deadpan it was.

How on God’s green Earth are this pack of wankers meant to counter a threat like
Starro the Conquerer?
. This is the same misguided bullshit from the first one that these fucking no hopers were to be the counter to Superman if he decided to give no fucks and kill everything.
They're expendable so it doesn't matter that's the point. They either manage to do something or they hold out long enough to buy time for a proper response. In the New 52 comics they were able to take down a giant flesh golem before.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I mean sure they stand out, in the same way a bread submarine stands out, but that doesn't make them good. I would say even the bad MCU movies like Iron Man 3, Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel are by far better than even the best of the DCEU movies, including and limited to the first half of Wonder Woman, and that scene from BvS where Batman saves Martha.
I think if you want any clear evidence of the difference between MCU and DCEU, Marvel is still going, and DC may have done their swan song with the Synder cut. The rest, including Suicide Squad 2 feels more like contractually obligated to release this, rather than this is a on-going part of the world building. I would be surprised given that Batman and Superman are being rebooted, Flash is likely never to have a movie, Cyborg is gone, Wonder Woman is in the time-out corner, Shazam 2 is in constant rewrites, and who knows where Hollywood falls on Aquaman 2 and deciding if Amber Herd or Johnny Depp is the better actor to side with, if the entire DCEU is closed and they just run out the clock on contracts.
I don't know, I think for better or for worse you can see each directors style more with DC films while Marvel (other then when Whedon was doing stuff) you couldn't really feel a major difference between directors for the most part.

The funny thing is the DC animated and DC TV universes have been doing far better it's just weird really they can't seem to get the films right.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
They're expendable so it doesn't matter that's the point. They either manage to do something or they hold out long enough to buy time for a proper response. In the New 52 comics they were able to take down a giant flesh golem before.
There's expendable and then there's waste of time. The Suicide Squad as I've seen them would basically be the first to fall against a threat of this calibre.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
There's expendable and then there's waste of time. The Suicide Squad as I've seen them would basically be the first to fall against a threat of this calibre.
I dunno depends on which version of the characters they're going with as the James Gunn version has

The Polka-Dot Man who in some version is a joke in other's he can basically create portals.
RatCatcher has poisons and the power to control rats, so an army of rats could do some damage.
The Thinker can do telekinesis and mind control
King Shark will also likely try and eat the thing as a way to solve the problem.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Seems like a worse version of the first trailer, I wonder why they bothered.
Nah this one is better.

Less of the jokes more brutal nihilism, also Ratcatcher 2 actually got to do something in this one or at least show off her abilities.

I think this was a better show of the jokes there I mean I think the Peacemaker joke in this one landed so well. Also the sort of meta commentary at the beginning too felt on point.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Neither do you but I'm not asking how you are holding a map. Also, technically a box turtle

Reactions: Hawki

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I never liked the Suicide Squad no matter who's behind making it.

Also the Shark is just way too cartoony.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never liked the Suicide Squad no matter who's behind making it.
I never liked Amanda Waller as character. Like most people, my first introduction to her was in the Justice League cartoon in the 2000s. With that said, the squad itself never bothered me too much.

Also the Shark is just way too cartoony.
He fits in just fine to me. It's a comic book movie. Embrace the weirdness and goofy tones. Embrace them!

Enough of this realistic/grounded/"deconstruction" shit. You can only do that so many times before it becomes old hat, overdone, and boring.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I never liked Amanda Waller as character. Like most people, my first introduction to her was in the Justice League cartoon in the 2000s. With that said, the squad itself never bothered me too much.

He fits in just fine to me. It's a comic book movie. Embrace the weirdness and goofy tones. Embrace them!

Enough of this realistic/grounded/"deconstruction" shit. You can only do that so many times before it becomes old hat, overdone, and boring.
I would if the entire movie was an animated cartoon. But its live action, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. And the thing is he's animated in such a cartoony looking way. I mean I'm not asking for him to look like Killer Croc in the first movie, but this looks like something out of Disney.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
but this looks like something out of Disney.
You must be forgetting this is James Gunn. Worked for Disney on two films, and gives 0 fucks. He'll do something weird and go full blast. I can deal with the CGI Street Shark, because I have seen so much worse and distracting way before he showed up.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Frankly there is going to be a need for suspension of disbelief for a superhero movie to work. Of course its going to be silly: Its a super hero movie!

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh yeah Ray Fisher had this whole thing about racism on the JL set, and said it was Joss, and the Studio cleared him of wrong doing, and then it came out Joss did a lot of casting couch shit on Angel and Buffy, actresses like Charisma Carpenter have come out that Joss was visibly upset when she brought her husband to watch filming and asked her if she wanted to keep her baby, and other actresses like Michelle Trachtenberg have come out and said during their filming, underage mind you, crew were under strict orders not to leave her alone with Joss. The dude, like a lot of male feminists, turned out to just be a creep.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Okay so it was Ray Fisher thought they wanted him to be a stereotypical black hero with a catch phrase, and be like the Teen Titans cartoon version of Cyborg that loves BBQ and fried chicken and cars and has a black girlfriend, and Ray Fisher was like "Yeah comicbook Cyborg never says Booyah, that's an invention of the cartoon show." and then Joss and Warner Bros executives were like "We can't have an angry black man in our movies!"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay so it was Ray Fisher thought they wanted him to be a stereotypical black hero with a catch phrase, and be like the Teen Titans cartoon version of Cyborg that loves BBQ and fried chicken and cars and has a black girlfriend, and Ray Fisher was like "Yeah comicbook Cyborg never says Booyah, that's an invention of the cartoon show." and then Joss and Warner Bros executives were like "We can't have an angry black man in our movies!"
I never read the Teen Titans comics once, so I can't confirm the booyah in that version. Ray definitely had to deal with a lot of bullshit and backstabbing false friends. Whedon's definitely an asshole, and once again, I am glad not to be fan of the majority of his work.