The Treadmill

rennagade

Jun 27, 2013
Destiny isn't a bad game, but it didn't live up to the hype or its predecessors(namely Halo).
With the amount of hype that surrounded the game this shouldn't surprise anyone either.
With that said, Destiny has a very vibrant world that just feels empty. Its like they took that fancy world creator they were bragging about a few years back, made these large areas, then forgot to actually populate them, which almost makes sense for an average shooter with a post apocalypse storyline... but it feels like it should be a mmo and I can only go so far before not even Dinklage's voice can't make it seem as lively as one should be.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Why the fuck did anyone expect except mediocrity? It's by Bungie, the patron saints of blandness.

Logience said:
Why is it 8/10? Why is a game you said was shit 80% good?
its funneh cos its liek videogam jornos like to eyaculate tens amirite bro

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
*looks at thread*

Looks mostly like people are saying it's mediocre. If that's "hate," then I think the word's lost all meaning.
And some are more hostile than that, including Grey. But I wasn't just referring to this site anyway. Destiny got metacritic bombed down to 3.3 at one point for crying out loud.

braens894

Sep 27, 2011
When I first played Destiny I was disappointed, I had ignored the hype but still came away thinking that it just wasn't that fun, at least, not for the $100 price tag here in Australia.

I started playing it again the other day and I teamed up with a few guys for some strike missions. I don't think I've had more fun with a FPS in a long time, sure it's kind of boring by yourself but Destiny really shines as a co-op game. The competitive multi-player is engaging and well balanced.

So yeah, I'm glad I gave it another shot.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
major_chaos said:
And some are more hostile than that, including Grey. But I wasn't just referring to this site anyway. Destiny got metacritic bombed down to 3.3 at one point for crying out loud.
But you posted here. And asked a specific question after a preamble that made it sound like the damn inquisition was here, busting down your door.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
I'm rather enjoying Destiny. Yea it's not as good as the hype made it out to be and that's why I don't buy into hype. Skipped Watch Dogs and had a neutral opinion going in and found myself having a good time with my friends.

Off topic: I think the negativity of this site is going to make me stop coming here. I enjoy some of the content but the articles and forums are so negative about everything that isn't related to PCs. Sorry guys but this may be my last post.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I have a friend who was really excited for the game and spent $60 to get the game. He'll probably like it since he watched a lot of gameplay being streamed beforehand, but I need to find out what he thinks of it after playing it.

Overall, I'm glad that I play games that aren't constantly playing commercials and being advertised on websites. The most hyped game I'm looking forward to is Persona 5, and the most we have is a small animated trailer of the protagonist. Probably helps that I don't read up everything about a game, and the most I will look at is screen shots and a few game play trailers, just to get me interested.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Seneschal said:
As a huge fan of (mostly literary) science fiction, Destiny sent all the right signals my way. I thought it would be something in the vein of recent space opera, like The Quantum Thief, Revelation Space, Accelerando, The Expanse series or the Eclipse Phase game. I could not have been more disappointed to learn that narrative was hilariously low on its list of priorities, and that it was completely out-of-touch with recent trends in sci-fi (or maybe modern sci-fi is completely out-of-touch with the lobotomizingly stupid stories everyone is enjoying at the moment).
I'd classify 'Destiny' as science fantasy rather than science fiction. Classifying it as an MMO or FPS may be a bit harder though. 0_0

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
Grach said:
Why the fuck did anyone expect except mediocrity? It's by Bungie, the patron saints of blandness.

Logience said:
Can I please get a civil response, thank you?

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Logience said:
Grach said:

Logience said:
Can I please get a civil response, thank you?
*sigh* It's funny because game reviews have devolved into a system that avoids giving anything triple A a score lower than 8. Probably out fear of the fans (I hope so, the other option is that they're afraid of hurting the developers feelings). In the end you have a scoring method that's not representative nor informative, to the point that independent reviewers employ their own scoring systems (or none at all in some cases). This is not exclusive to gaming, you can get a list of examples here [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourPointScale].

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Hawki said:
Seneschal said:
As a huge fan of (mostly literary) science fiction, Destiny sent all the right signals my way. I thought it would be something in the vein of recent space opera, like The Quantum Thief, Revelation Space, Accelerando, The Expanse series or the Eclipse Phase game. I could not have been more disappointed to learn that narrative was hilariously low on its list of priorities, and that it was completely out-of-touch with recent trends in sci-fi (or maybe modern sci-fi is completely out-of-touch with the lobotomizingly stupid stories everyone is enjoying at the moment).
I'd classify 'Destiny' as science fantasy rather than science fiction. Classifying it as an MMO or FPS may be a bit harder though. 0_0
I agree that it's "science-fantasy" (a bit of an oxymoron; I prefer to say "space fantasy"), but because its narrative is so threadbare that it only satisfies the criteria for Basic Primordial Human Story, ~1,000 BC Edition; i.e., something so poorly defined and reliant on plot-magic to move the story along can only ever be fantasy - bad fantasy, at that. And, to be fair, the trailers showed just that, nothing, but I had hoped, from the visual design and some small speculative details (e.g., rail slingshot on the Moon) that they would stealthily insert one of gaming's first semi-plausible sci-fi stories.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
What reviews has he been reading? Yeah they don't say the game is great, but it's far from being the piece of shit you're claiming it to be.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
lord canti said:
What reviews has he been reading? Yeah they don't say the game is great, but it's far from being the piece of shit you're claiming it to be.
I think his opinion comes from playing the game and forming his own opinion. Not parroting that of reviews.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
lord canti said:
I think his opinion comes from playing the game and forming his own opinion. Not parroting that of reviews.
Well he said" destiny as you might have gathered from review, is shit" that was the part I was talking about.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Destiny is just the biggest "meh" game of all time. The gameplay is all pretty much solid. The PvP is fun. It's pretty much the more casual gamer's MMO. But the game just feels soulless. Like no heart went into it. The lack of story, sometimes tedious gameplay, and artificial difficulty do nothing to help. I've enjoyed the time I've spent playing it, but I regret spending sixty dollars on it.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I'm really glad I didn't buy this. I'm really, really glad I didn't buy a PS4 for this. I know several people that did and two have already tried to get their money back only to be told "HAHA NOPE! NO REFUND ON MMOs!"

They're so extremely butthurt about this game that I can feel their pain...

Now excuse me while i go and mindlessly grind in WoW for rewards while Destiny players grind for non-rewards.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
"Destiny is shite"

"8/10"

Um. Last time I checked, 8/10 was a really good score. Personally, I really love the game and even I'd give it a 7/10.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
rofltehcat said:
Because Destiny seems completely bland, let's discuss more important topics.

What does cocaine smell like? Just out of interest.

Man...now you've got me wondering too. Anyone able to educate us?