Toadfish1 said:
EXos said:
-I know what I said-
(a) that offers only 60% of the performance power of the Ps4,
(b) its still more expensive,
(c) you didn't include a screen.

Trolling fail.
(a) Nope the same if not more.
(b) True but we get out games much cheaper.
(c) Wow Ps4's are sold with a screen? That changes everything!!!

-pats Toad on the head- There there... Have a cookie.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Ten years ago I had a birthday party where we all sat around taking turns at 4 player Medal of Honour on Xbox. A few days ago I was hanging out with some mates and we had an Xbox 360, but shunned it because at best you could get two player co-op on Gears or Halo. Instead we played several rounds of Settlers of Catan.

When a boardgame has more involved local multiplayer than a console, you really have to question what the point of one is.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Phrozenflame500 said:
Toadfish1 said:
(a) that offers only 60% of the performance power of the Ps4,
60% is a bit much, but <a href=http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ilV2>here's a better build with a better GPU and 1tb of storage.

Toadfish1 said:
(b) its still more expensive,
Still cheaper then an X1. And you don't need PS+/XBL.
Toadfish1 said:
(c) you didn't include a screen.
You didn't include the TV with the price of your console.

Toadfish1 said:
Trolling fail.
How eloquent of you.
And that ones even more expensive. And still only at 90% equivalence.

Who the fuck cares about the One? I mean, apart from PC fanboys who are desperate to use it in some false equivalence since they can't discredit the Ps4? If you're gonna include the One as if its somehow an equivalent, I'm gonna bring up every single shitty overpriced underpowered PC on the market.

And wow, I had no idea that PC's actually gave you free AAA legal non-F2p games every single month. Because thats the only way you could claim some equivalence between paying the extra cash for a PC and buying Ps+.

People who don't own a cutting edge screen vs. People who don't have a fucking TV. Yeah, I can see how those two groups are just of complete equivalence.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
FallenMessiah88 said:
Remember when some people claimed that PC gaming was dead? Turned out they were wrong.

As such, I urge people to not jump to conclusions. Calm down and play nice.
I support this motion.

Consoles could pull a trick out of their sleeve at any time that keeps them relevant, or they'll do what PCs did and just keep on keeping on until they force their way back into the spotlight. Or the next gen might drop back into what made old consoles great.

And if we cannot play nice, then we'll never get true PC/console multiplayer crossover, and me and my friend will be very sad.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Toadfish1 said:
And that ones even more expensive. And still only at 90% equivalence.
Where's your source for this? Everything I've heard puts the PS4 on par with a 7850.

Toadfish1 said:
Who the fuck cares about the One? I mean, apart from PC fanboys who are desperate to use it in some false equivalence since they can't discredit the Ps4? If you're gonna include the One as if its somehow an equivalent, I'm gonna bring up every single shitty overpriced underpowered PC on the market.
Well, it's a console that's a direct competitor to the PS4. It's pretty relevant if we're talking about consoles vs PC.

Toadfish1 said:
And wow, I had no idea that PC's actually gave you free AAA legal non-F2p games every single month. Because thats the only way you could claim some equivalence between paying the extra cash for a PC and buying Ps+.
Two Words: Steam Sales. And you don't need to pay 60$ a year to access them.

Oh and don't forget those sweet, sweet humble bundles. 5 AAA games for 5$? Yessir.

Toadfish1 said:
People who don't own a cutting edge screen vs. People who don't have a fucking TV. Yeah, I can see how those two groups are just of complete equivalence.
Then connect your PC to your TV then. Because you can totally do that, you know.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
QUINTIX said:
When the PS4 and xBone have the first and second largest pre-holiday sales for any home console ever respectively, it is hard to believe they are anywhere near dead.
The Wii U was Nintendo's fastest selling home console ever, until January this year.

I don't think either new console will suffer that kind of brick wall, but it will be interesting to see if and how the consoles maintain momentum. Microsoft have really shot themselves in the foot with all the F2P garbage in their launch line ups (a couple of people have brought Xbones back to 'my store' and got refunds over this, only a couple, but that's never happened before, ever). It could make for some hilarious (European) sales figures come February, although Titanfall will likely save them from any embarrassment at the end of the financial year.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
Toadfish1 said:
And I'm sure the fact that you failed to mention the Ps4 at fucking all won't undercut each and every one of the supposed faults you are claiming are endemic of "consoles".

Here, I'll just pop in my copy of Assassins Creed 4 to show how long the install time is, and then I'll - huh, the thing installed before I managed to finish my sentence. Weird.
Don't know if you know this but in a recent video he put up on youtube he said he hasn't gotten a PS4 yet.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
Well, there goes Bob's argument on "PC gaming is dead" Haha.
I forgot how tedious manually installing games on PC were. Especially on the MSDOS. PC has gone simpler while consoles have become needlessly complicated.
Blowing shit up in Just Cause 2 sure is a great way to get rid of all the tension for the day. Surf a jet into a military base because just cause. Then, for the extra fun, mod the explosion power to 10x. Ah, mods. Another plus for the PC gamer.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
IrisNetwork said:
Well, there goes Bob's argument on "PC gaming is dead" Haha.
I think Bob's argument was that the traditional concept of a single centralized PC would be dissolved into the various different devices we use in day to day life, devices like phones, tablets, laptops, the software built into your TV, and stuff like that. It's not necessarily the polar opposite of what Yahtzee is saying. For example: if you hook your gaming rig up to a television, plug in an Xbox controller, and start playing a game that clearly wasn't programmed for a mouse+keyboard hasn't your PC essentially turned into a console?

Basically he was saying PCs would change, people would stop adapting the world to them, and start adapting them to the world. Which is why the full title of the video was "PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming"

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
Mrkillhappy said:
Toadfish1 said:
And I'm sure the fact that you failed to mention the Ps4 at fucking all won't undercut each and every one of the supposed faults you are claiming are endemic of "consoles".

Here, I'll just pop in my copy of Assassins Creed 4 to show how long the install time is, and then I'll - huh, the thing installed before I managed to finish my sentence. Weird.
Don't know if you know this but in a recent video he put up on youtube he said he hasn't gotten a PS4 yet.
So the blame rests on his own willful ignorance, then?

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
Toadfish1 said:
So the blame rests on his own willful ignorance, then?
I wouldn't say willful ignorance but just ignorance as he does plan on getting a system at some point it is just that right now there isn't much to get for it in terms of PS4 exclusives since a lot of the launch library was pushed back to early next year. So I would state that outside of the minor graphical upgrade he doesn't have much of a reason to buy a PS4 at this current time. I also believe the anecdote about ryse and the xbone to be that of his first impressions of this console generation out of the two big dogs.

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
Neither console really excite me at the moment. My plan is to wait 6 months to a year, getting which ever has better looking exclusives, otherwise no reason to buy one when the consoles really are trying to emulate PCs.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
I think there was a missed opportunity in this article. It should've been "I got Just Cause just because, now bugger off." or something to that extent.

May 14, 2013
It's funny he mentions Just Cause 2, JC2-MP has been the only thing that has been making me feel better after a long day. I know Yahtzee's distaste of multiplayer shoved into games, but JC2-MP is from the Saints Row school of multiplayer sandboxes. Where you're set loose to do whatever you want and given extra powers to increase the pissing-around coefficient where it feels fresh again (like the power to boost vehicles of all kinds to insane speeds). It's amazing how playing as a Ninja who can fly boats feels so lethargic and soothing.

It's a reminder that a community keeps the game alive. So when next-gen console environments attempt to keep the community safely in a padded walled garden from which there is no escape, I can understand the utter disgust and feeling of wanting out. It's more apparent of the differences of console vs PC when I'm piloting my motorcycle going 1300 km/h.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
On the topic of price I'd say that whether or not a console is the cheaper solution depends largely on what the user is planning to do with the thing. My brother in law got a PS4 to play Fifa on it and that's all he's ever going to use it for. Naturally in his case that's by far the cheapest solution. If you're a core gamer and especially if you plan on playing online, the cost of Live or PSN and more expensive games is going to make a huge difference in the long run. You'll be paying 50$ a year for 8 years at least this generation, so the cost of your device just doubled. With PSN you get a bunch of really great games every month for free, but you don't get to choose which ones you get and you loose them if stop paying but it's still a great deal. The Xbox One seems completely irrelevant in this regard. You pay 100$ extra for a device that barely any core gamer is ever going to use in any substantial way and the free stuff you get each month so far doesn't seem to be worth a fifth of what you're paying.
Finally, with the PC you pay 700$ for the system up front, but you never pay for online multiplayer, you get Steam sales, games that are 10$ cheaper on day one in most cases and you get to choose between several different stores at any time.

All in all, I'd say the PS4 is a great, cheap choice for casual gamers and Single Player only core gamers, PC is cheapest in the long run for everyone else and the Xbone, at least at this stage seems overpriced in every regard.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
I've resolved to focus more on the PC because there is no longer any rational reason to use a console instead.
Ummm, yeah, no rational reason except for the one reason we all play games. You know, the games.

As someone who's favourite genres include JRPGs and fighting games I see a rather large problem with considering PC the be all and end all of gaming. Technical issues aside, and I agree that consoles are very much becoming more PC like every year, it's a pretty silly argument to leave the whole "game" factor out of "gaming."

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I love echo chambers so much.

There are plenty of games I like that are console-only. So no, they aren't dead or pointless. I play a lot of games on my PC, but the day I start feeding into a "conversation" like this is unlikely to ever come.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Compatriot Block said:

There are plenty of games I like that are console-only. So no, they aren't dead or pointless. I play a lot of games on my PC, but the day I start feeding into a "conversation" like this is unlikely to ever come.

He mentions that in the last paragraph.

The only problem consoles now solve over a PC is the problem of not being able to play their exclusive titles, a problem which the console created by making the games exclusive in the first place.
Granted, there are some Japanese devs that don't have any PC experience, but with the standardised architecture of the new gen of consoles this excuse won't hold water for long.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Ed130 said:
Compatriot Block said:

He mentions that in the last paragraph.

The only problem consoles now solve over a PC is the problem of not being able to play their exclusive titles, a problem which the console created by making the games exclusive in the first place.
Granted, there are some Japanese devs that don't have any PC experience, but with the standardised architecture of the new gen of consoles this excuse won't hold water for long.
Okay, but that only shows that there is a problem. I honestly doubt that we'll ever see a time where all games are available for all systems. If we do, then feel free to find this thread and I'll admit all my wrongness because I'd love to not have to worry about missing cool exclusives, but until then all he has done is acknowledge the problem.

Not to mention there are plenty of games exclusively on the PC that could absolutely run on a console, but nobody is calling that a problem.