The undefeated video game Boss

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Draconis, from Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal.

Mother.

Fucking.

Draconis.

For the record, Baldur's Gate II is probably my favourite game of all time, and the expansion was mostly very good, with Watcher's Keep being the best part of it: it's the best dungeon in the series, and one of the best dungeons I've played. Unfortunately, the main story of the expansion suffered from serious difficulty spikes that, given the nature of your character by this stage, are hard to believe in the context of the story, and simply frustrating to play.

Draconis is the worst of these. His function in the plot is nothing; he is simply a door guard for his father. However, I couldn't beat him. I still haven't. You meet him alone outside a fortress, so you assume he's going to be pretty powerful. And he is: he's a high-level mage, but nothing your party can't handle by this point. Then, when you kill him, he says "Did you honestly think I'd be so easy to kill?", and transforms into a DRAGON.

Now, by this point, I'd killed a number of dragons. However, by the time he transforms, most of the buffs on my party had worn off, and he'd killed my summoned creatures while in mage form. On later attempts, I would wait until after the transformation before summoning them, whereupon he cast an instant death spell on them, putting me back where I started. As a result, the following battle essentially involved him curbstomping my entire party over and over again. He does things that are impossible by the game's rules; one of the most annoying is that he can still cast certain spells while your mage has stopped time.

After several dozen TPKs, and much completion of side quests in pursuit of more levels and better gear, I gave up.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Ranubis said:
The final battle in Prototype.
For all my helicopter-hijacking skills, I kept taking the pilot seat just in time for a flying hunk of deck to smack me out of the sky, and kept getting insta-killed by the Devestator attack.
This. It doesn't help that the junk he throws impossibly homes in on you as well.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Veloxe said:
viranimus said:
I was going to say FFXIs pandemonium warden or what proceeded it, but its my understanding it has since been defeated as well.
Absolute Virtue. But alas, those glory days are behind us and both NMs have been nerf batted several times over and with being level 90 now they are basically a joke for any half decent alliance.

Also, for me it's the last boss (or close to last boss) in Ninja Gaiden 2, it's been awhile but I'm going to have to go back and try to beat him again I think.
Has the game changed dramatically since they upped the level cap?

I always figured they wouldn't go above 75 so people wouldn't be able to sub red mage for instance and gain access to convert and refresh.

It makes me sad, it's probably the game i've poured the most amount of time into and i'd love to pick it up again but alas it's way too big of a time sink.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I found Wesker pretty easy. Then again that game's inventory management is so awful that you end the game with millions of herbs, bombs, guns, ammo, and treasures.

QT : The Final boss from Shadow of the Collausas. My thoughts at the time : "Oh... This see- NO! Don't push me down! NO! Don't tilt your hand up-sidedown! I'll fall! No!! Now I have to climb up this bastard again!"

4 Hours Later...

"I got to the to-" *Thrown off the side of the cliff* "FUUUUU-"

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
I didn't beat Super Mario Bros. 2 until it was released on the Game Boy Advance.

I never beat Xenogears because I got very near the end to a boss I just couldn't beat.

megajon

Apr 6, 2010
Last boss Ninja Gaiden 2 need i say more its a pain just managing to get to it its the most sadistic game i've played and only ive never beaten curse you.

EagleShard

Mar 15, 2010
Branka in Dragon Age Origins. Sided with the Golem. Thought my party was strong enough to take on anything after finding the rest of the game easy. Was wrong.

naab

Jun 4, 2009
Tenchu.. the original tenchu.... When you have to battle the kicking demon.. The haunting memories of foot in my ass crack.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Final Fantasy XI has a boss that is literally impossible to defeat.
Every time a group of players actually manages to win, the admins patch it to make that same strategy unusable against it.

Original Bubs

Mar 18, 2010
Cogwheel said:
Original Bubs said:
Cogwheel said:
Currently, the Manticore in Etrian Odyssey 3 is giving me trouble. Should try again now that I have Prevent Order.
Which Strata is that in?
Sea quest, actually. Boss of the Dark Forest, comes after the three Mistletoes. It doesn't hit that hard, but lacks elemental weaknesses. Also, all its attacks hit the full party, and have status effects: Darkness Coil (blind/curse), Poison Tail (poison), Lullaby (sleep) and, worst of all, Petrivoice (confusion/petrify).

Basically it's a colossal pain to fight. Prevent Order and Party Heal, once I get them, should help a lot.
I remember that boss now. I got by with him just fine with high level party heal and refresh, and a Zodiac keeping the dark ether going on the front row.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Original Bubs said:
Cogwheel said:
Original Bubs said:
Cogwheel said:
Currently, the Manticore in Etrian Odyssey 3 is giving me trouble. Should try again now that I have Prevent Order.
Which Strata is that in?
Sea quest, actually. Boss of the Dark Forest, comes after the three Mistletoes. It doesn't hit that hard, but lacks elemental weaknesses. Also, all its attacks hit the full party, and have status effects: Darkness Coil (blind/curse), Poison Tail (poison), Lullaby (sleep) and, worst of all, Petrivoice (confusion/petrify).

Basically it's a colossal pain to fight. Prevent Order and Party Heal, once I get them, should help a lot.
I remember that boss now. I got by with him just fine with high level party heal and refresh, and a Zodiac keeping the dark ether going on the front row.

I won eventually. Prevent Order from my Zodiac/Prince helped. Going up against it without was... painful. I also lacked Party Heal the first time.

Ruin Caller's much more fun to fight, so far.

Nov 24, 2010
Well for a while it was Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts 2, but not I can defeat him with my eyes closed. He's really predictable once you try a few dozen times.