The World Does Not Hate Captain America

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Always found the character more amusing than offensive, to be honest.

fix-the-spade said:
they don't take the America part of the name too seriously
But what are we left with, then? Captain?

You know, someone needs to make a new superhero and call him Captain Lieutenant or something, just to confuse people.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
Greg Tito said:
Only three nations opted to use the shorter title of The First Avenger - Russia, Ukraine and South Korea - but that's kind of expected given the political leanings of those countries. (As my father-in-law would say, "Screw those commie pinkos."
Second of all, why the South Korea remark? Their political leanings are really pro-American as far as they go in that region.
A surprising amount of people assume there's little difference between South Korea and North Korea. They still seem to understand that there's some difference between North and South America, though.

Cogwheel said:
You know, someone needs to make a new superhero and call him Captain Lieutenant or something, just to confuse people.
"Master Chief"?

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Cogwheel said:
"Master Chief"?
Fair point. Still not confusing enough, though.

I vote for Commander Haddocksalad.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
soapyshooter said:
You know why? Because it was the right kind of patriotism, not this
http://www.omelete.com.br/capitao-america-o-primeiro-vingador/cinema/capitao-america-o-primeiro-vingador-critica/

http://www.parana-online.com.br/colunistas/332/87316/

http://oglobo.globo.com/blogs/cinema/posts/2011/07/23/comic-con-um-capitao-america-bastardo-inglorio-chato-394030.asp

THose 3 sites are the most visited pages about reviews in Brazil (one of the first countries to open Cap. America - First Avenger). Reviews said it was an Ok fim, they realised that the 1940 and 1950's Cap. America was toned down to appeal an international audience. Cap. America 21 first century is like the second review says: the guy who is using the costume is a good guy, with that any person can relate.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I find it funny as a long time comic reader how everyone says that people liked it because Cap's big schtick is about being a good person and doing the right thing rather than being all america up in people's faces.

Because this is NORMAL for captain america. Even in the 70's during the cold war he was pretty much just a super hero boy scout.

The marvel civil war he was the one that went against the gov't.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I saw it in Australia. My wife and I sat next to an obviously muslim couple as the woman was wearing a hijab.

The movie was fantastic, easily in my opinion the best Marvel effort to date. Yes - I liked it more than Iron Man.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Maybe I'm just a horrible person, but I'm usually a cynic, and I always enjoy Ryan Reynolds in movies. Granted I have not seen, nor will I ever see Green lantern, so I cannot comment on his performance there.

Is there a memo I missed that says Ryan Reynolds is a bad actor?

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
I just find it hilarious that the movie with a low budget did twice as good as a movie that cost the industry 200 million XD

Still, loved the captain america movie, I advise everyone to go see it. :)

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
Greg Tito said:
Only three nations opted to use the shorter title of The First Avenger - Russia, Ukraine and South Korea - but that's kind of expected given the political leanings of those countries. (As my father-in-law would say, "Screw those commie pinkos."
First of all, Russia. Unfortunate. That's not what we want out public image to be, is it? I mean, yeah, it probably wouldn't do so well in Russia under the title "Captain America", but removing that part is just... kinda shifty.

Second of all, why the South Korea remark? Their political leanings are really pro-American as far as they go in that region.
Not to mention the whole "war with North Korea" thing. North Korea are the true "commie pinkos" in that relationship. I would almost say South Korea is more pro-USA, pro-capitalism than Japan.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
I don't get why anyone would hate Captain Aemrica, it's not like he fights FOR America, only for the "American values" of freedom, liberty and choice.

I mean, they even retconned out the Cap hating Communism, and I may be wrong but at the end of WW2 America was starting to veer very left, sadly before their President died and an extremem right one replaced him.

What could have been for America, and the world, it makes me sad. :(

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I think it may be due to the fact that Captain America isn't portrayed as the typical American "screw everyone else, we rule" army propaganda, and is actually a likable heroic character. Despite being dressed in a flag, he doesn't rub the US in your face. It's a good movie.

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
Xzi said:
IMHO First Class has been the best superhero movie by far this year. Captain America was also pretty good, though. Thor was a straight-up meh, and you can forget it if you think I'm ever going to pay to see Green Lantern.

Snowalker said:
Greg Tito said:
Oh, Green Lantern. I think you may have single-handedly ruined Ryan Reynolds career. And for that, we thank you.
Speak for yourself, he's a good actor, Waiting and Buried? Hell, he was even decent in Blade and Wolverine even though those movies sucked. He has the tendency to be in bad movies, not being a bad actor.
He doesn't have any range. He's the same offbeat comedian in every role he plays. Which is exactly why he was the wrong guy to be in all these action flicks. Chances are that he has no respect for the source material and so just views the roles as a chance for some easy extra cash. Thus the reason he accepts one after the other so eagerly, despite having been highly criticized for the previous ones.
Doesn't have any respect? Do you have any idea how much effort he put into Deadpool in Wolverine: Origins? He trained for months just to use the swords and do the stunts himself. He really is just put into shit movies. I watched Buried and he was great in it. There wasn't any comedy in that by the way. Before iRobot or I am Legend everyone thought Will Smith was just some comedic idiot with no range, clearly he isn't.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
If you're on the fence about seeing Captain America in 3D, I can certainly say this is one of the few films this year that is MADE for a 3D experience. Stereo effects aren't going to wow everyone, but it does add a certain special something to certain kinds of movies. In this case, the kind where there's lots of action, explosions, and cool stuff flying at the screen.

Yes, Cap is a 2D to 3D conversion, but you'd never know it. This is the first movie I saw in 3D that didn't give me a massive headache. Just saying.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Sure, America isn't exactly Mr. Popular right now.
And the name 'Captain America' comes across as INCREDIBLY douchy at first glance.
But the movie is just good.
I can appreciate that.

Feb 11, 2009
Just thought that I mention the fact that Russia, Ukraine, and South Korea are not communist states. Also, the latter two are fighting against the communists for a long time...

On the topic of Captain - it was a good movie and I enjoyed it, regardless of the sometimes funny propaganda-like moments of wanking off to The Great US of A.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Oh, Green Lantern. I think you may have single-handedly ruined Ryan Reynolds career. And for that, we thank you.
Deadpool begs to differ.
Greg Tito said:
South Korea? I'm sure he knows about the Korean War.

I'm assuming you were meant to say North.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
do the comics sell so much worse than outside the US?
besides, most people who watch the movie are a)looking for a good action movie or b) watching it because it's part of the avenger thing or c) all of the above.