Ironic Pirate said:
Psychosocial said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
1.Avenged Sevenfold
2.Coheed and Cambria
3.Linkin Park
4.System of a Down
5.Any other generic bands that suck.
Yeahhhh.... I don't think you're allowed to call bands generic when you've got a Metallica avatar.
And also when his username is a Motley Crue song...
What's so bad about Motley Crue?
Nothing, they just sound similar to a lot of other Glam metal from the 80's. Again, not bad, pretty good even, but kinda generic.

Also, SOAD, even if you don't like them, don't seem generic. The only album I've heard os Toxicity, and it seemed different from anything else I'd ever heard.

I was just wondering why you called them generic.
I'll admit, it is sometimes hard to tell Motley Crue from other bands of the era.

Honestly, System of a Down isn't actually that original. Other bands have tried to do the whole "anti-establishment" thing; the way I see it, they're no more original than anyone else.
SoaD's song structure is some of the most unique and original you can find within rock/metal regardless of which decade you look at.

I have no idea why you dislike them so much. You can't seem to get past some of their lyrical themes, and write them off as generic and gimmicky.

By generic, I'm sure you're referring to them being one of hundreds of other "anti-establishment" bands, right? Cause really, I dare you to link me bands with similar song structures as System.

Take your time. I'll be waiting.
Well, erm, Coheed and Cambria for one. :D

Unique/original song structure doesn't mean good. They are one of the most overrated bands out there. The overall way they sound when you put everything together does not appeal to me at all. A big part of my hate for them is, in fact, how overrated they are.
Heh, that's a bad example.
Whether they're good or not isn't the arguement. That's subjective.

A unique and original song structure makes the song... oh boy, unique (opposite of generic, which is what this WHOLE fucking argument is about. HELLO?)
You also contradicted everything you've said so far in this thread about SoaD in the second line of your paragraph.

System is an original band with a unique style and sound.
Fact.

When I read "A big part of my hate for them is, in fact, how overrated they are.", I almost broke my neck with the force of my facepalm. Please try to fail less or I'm gonna have press charges for attempted murder by epic fail.
Did I actually say that they were original? No. Did I say that original doesn't mean they sound good? Yes, that's more like it.

I'm saying that IF THEY WERE original, they still wouldn't sound good

When you said song structure, I assumed you meant the arranging of the chorus, verse, and solo, etc. But now I see that not only are we not on the same page, we're in a different book.
Oh woooow. You're beyond salvation.

Rarely do I see such ignorance and arrogance.
Even when you have no idea what you're talking about, you persist.

Let's end this now. I've had enough of your utter retardation for a lifetime.
I'm gonna stop wasting my time on you and do something more constructive like bleaching my asshole.
That's just nasty.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Music industry guy in a band hate thread, woo!

Actually I like the large majority of the stuff named in this thread, especially the crunkcore.

I suppose I should add my contribution:

If you'll excuse me I'm now off to go and give my ears a good clean...

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Dr. Feelgood said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Psychosocial said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
1.Avenged Sevenfold
2.Coheed and Cambria
3.Linkin Park
4.System of a Down
Yeahhhh.... I don't think you're allowed to call bands generic when you've got a Metallica avatar.
Nothing, they just sound similar to a lot of other Glam metal from the 80's. Again, not bad, pretty good even, but kinda generic.

Also, SOAD, even if you don't like them, don't seem generic. The only album I've heard os Toxicity, and it seemed different from anything else I'd ever heard.

I'll admit, it is sometimes hard to tell Motley Crue from other bands of the era.

Honestly, System of a Down isn't actually that original. Other bands have tried to do the whole "anti-establishment" thing; the way I see it, they're no more original than anyone else.
I meant more the rapid shifts and such, from slow acoustic, to fast and yelling, to slow again.

I view the lyrics in music as another instrument, I don't really listen to what their singing about, which is admittedly a weird way to go about it.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
BonsaiK said:

Actually I like the large majority of the stuff named in this thread, especially the crunkcore.

Was that sarcasm? Because regardless of taste those are some of the best songs ever written.

If it was sarcasm, it was a bit melodramatic, but we could use some good music in here.

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
Dr. Feelgood said:
Rawker said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
1.Avenged Sevenfold
2.Coheed and Cambria
3.Linkin Park
4.System of a Down
I almost feel like you're trying to troll people here. Avenged and SOAD, are a tad more mainstream, and the Linkin Park horse has been beaten to death, you're going so far as to say Co and Cam is generic? Really? you can hate the band, I don't care about your taste (or lack there of) in music, but one adjective that cannot be used to describe Coheed and Cambria is generic.
I think if you've heard ANY of their songs, you'll know what I'm talking about. The fact is, they simply don't sound good.
I have all of their albums. I think have some knowledge on the subject. And no, I really don't see what you mean. Each album has a unique sound to it, and I love their sound.

Dr. Feelgood

Jul 13, 2010
Rawker said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
Rawker said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
1.Avenged Sevenfold
2.Coheed and Cambria
3.Linkin Park
4.System of a Down
I almost feel like you're trying to troll people here. Avenged and SOAD, are a tad more mainstream, and the Linkin Park horse has been beaten to death, you're going so far as to say Co and Cam is generic? Really? you can hate the band, I don't care about your taste (or lack there of) in music, but one adjective that cannot be used to describe Coheed and Cambria is generic.
I think if you've heard ANY of their songs, you'll know what I'm talking about. The fact is, they simply don't sound good.
I have all of their albums. I think have some knowledge on the subject. And no, I really don't see what you mean. Each album has a unique sound to it, and I love their sound.
Then I give up.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ironic Pirate said:
BonsaiK said:

Was that sarcasm? Because regardless of taste those are some of the best songs ever written.

If it was sarcasm, it was a bit melodramatic, but we could use some good music in here.
No it's not sarcasm. I could write lengthy essays on why all those songs should be forgotten about and never heard from again, please don't tempt me.

Dr. Feelgood

Jul 13, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Psychosocial said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
1.Avenged Sevenfold
2.Coheed and Cambria
3.Linkin Park
4.System of a Down

I meant more the rapid shifts and such, from slow acoustic, to fast and yelling, to slow again.

I view the lyrics in music as another instrument, I don't really listen to what their singing about, which is admittedly a weird way to go about it.
If you look at it that way, I suppose you're right. Rapid tempo shifts, oddly enough, are a bit of an untapped resource.

Skullman 125

Jan 25, 2010
Xan Holbrook said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dbU2f90OAw

Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here.
You think that's bad. Look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9J65j2GNzw

Shivarage

Apr 9, 2010
Psychosocial said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
1.Avenged Sevenfold
2.Coheed and Cambria
3.Linkin Park
4.System of a Down
He got you there =P

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I can't believe no one has said U2 yet. For the life of me, I will never understand how such talentless hacks got so popular.

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
Though my lists consists of mostly artsts, I'll list them-

Akon
Justin "Beaver"
Jonas Brothers
Korn (far too popular...plus Nu Metal only works for me in rare cases)
Linkin Park- Use to like them in high school but no so much anymore (too much whinning)
My Chemical Romance

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
BonsaiK said:
Ironic Pirate said:
BonsaiK said:

No it's not sarcasm. I could write lengthy essays on why all those songs should be forgotten about and never heard from again, please don't tempt me.
Now I'm curious! How about a sample, or a summary?

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Ironic Pirate said:
BonsaiK said:
Ironic Pirate said:
BonsaiK said:

Oh no, don't get me started. Once I start I tend to not stop...

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
BonsaiK said:
Ironic Pirate said:
BonsaiK said:
Ironic Pirate said:
BonsaiK said:

Oh no, don't get me started. Once I start I tend to not stop...
Not even a sample? I really want to know at this point...