The worst game of this generation.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
*Thinks for a moment*

Hmm. Wow, I didn't play a lot of games from this generation yet. I think I only own like 10 in total lol.

I didn't play a lot of the bad games like Kane and Lynch 2 or Sonic Riders whatever on Kinect (which Angry Joe described as a game that makes you physically ill after less than 1 lap). Final Fantasy XIII is a game that I really, really hated mostly for the story and the terrible gameplay.

But hands-down the WORST game was Final Fantasy XIV. It wasn't just a bad game, but it was a game that I was thoroughly excited for. Ever since its announcement I was on the FFXIV wiki (Eorzeapedia) forums, meeting all these great people I'd be playing the game with. But as each announcement came out, I found myself less and less excited because the design choices seemed so bad. And then when it came time to try it out in the beta, I was absolutely appalled. The graphics? BAD. The music? BAD. The gameplay? BAD. The user interface? BAD. The servers? BAD. The communication? BAD. The economic systems? BAD. The game's price? BAD.

Absolutely nothing made the game earn any points with me. You'd have to be seriously screwed up in the head to think paying $60 for the game, plus $15/month for the account, plus $3/month per character (requiring at least 4 to play each class), plus $1/month per bazaar mule, plus microtransactions.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Starcraft 2...I played like 80 min and said screw it before I started tossing my zerglings at my opponent en'mass. The game didn't really offer anything 'New'. Sure it was good graphics, and a awesome story, but when you get down to the knitty gritty of the gameplay...it's just a re-furbished model of something I've played before.

Flying Pilgrim

Apr 24, 2009
Modern Warfare 2. Everything about MW2 was bad, the story, the gameplay, even the supposedly "addictive" multiplayer; MW2 turned out to be a big waste of time and money. As gamers, if we continue to buy games like COD, then games will never be seen as art by the general public, only mindless toys. I tried with every part of me to love that game, instead I grew an unhealthy hatred of it.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
BigMak2010 said:
1. Two Worlds
2. MGS 4
3. Sonic anything(excluding classic Sonic)
4. JRPG as a genre
5. Duke Nukem 3D (But Forever will make up for it)
6. Kane And Lynch 2
7. Stuntman: Ignition(Burn in Hell)
Ooh, hating on Demon's Souls, Chrono Trigger, Yakuza, and Persona 3 Portable. Pretty edgy move there.

Stammer said:
But hands-down the WORST game was Final Fantasy XIV. It wasn't just a bad game, but it was a game that I was thoroughly excited for. Ever since its announcement I was on the FFXIV wiki (Eorzeapedia) forums, meeting all these great people I'd be playing the game with. But as each announcement came out, I found myself less and less excited because the design choices seemed so bad. And then when it came time to try it out in the beta, I was absolutely appalled. The graphics? BAD. The music? BAD. The gameplay? BAD. The user interface? BAD. The servers? BAD. The communication? BAD. The economic systems? BAD. The game's price? BAD.

Absolutely nothing made the game earn any points with me. You'd have to be seriously screwed up in the head to think paying $60 for the game, plus $15/month for the account, plus $3/month per character (requiring at least 4 to play each class), plus $1/month per bazaar mule, plus microtransactions.
Since you played it, what exactly did make the gameplay so horrible? Although I have no interest in MMORPGs, I did skim through a preview of the game and I thought the battle system sounded pretty interesting.

Extasii

May 22, 2009
Army of Two
Something about the main characters just bugged the ever-loving shite out of me.
That and I was really not a fan of the stupid back 2 back sequences

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
Hmmm, tough one.
I think the worst game I've ever completed is Phantasy Star Universe for the Xbox 360.
The worst game I've never beaten would have to be Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter.
WAITAMINUTE.
I'm sure I'll get a thousand messages about how awesome it is, so I should first say this: I don't like it, because I could never get past the first 3 levels. I guess it was a little too difficult for me, but oh well.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Everyone appears to be naming popular games they were disappointed with rather than their worst games. That or trolling.

OT:
Rogue Warrior. Short (Like, Portal short) with no replay value, dialogue full of unnecessary and gratuitous swearing, bad graphics, stealth felt broken to the point it was literally useless, story resembling some paper after a burger has been rubbed on it and is so linear and boring that you may fall asleep whilst playing. The worst part is that it was sold at full retail price. THAT is an example of the one of the worst games EVER!

Calumon: Digimon world HD, because it didn't get made! >: (

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Hour of Victory. In the land of samey brown shooters to compete with, adding 'broken' to your list to set you apart will not win you any friends. It revolves around a simple but endearing concept of having a mission, but going about it one of three ways depending on what sort of class you pick. That's nearly a sell right there, except the game is so damned broken that it completely crashes and burns to the ground in an instant.

Perfectly aimed shots never hit, and the worst part is there is a stupid ricochet system that causes bullets to bounce around against walls, the ground, and vehicles and land perfect headshots so often that you may just throw the contoller to the ground (where it will ironically bounce all over the room before plowing right through your skull). Classes are balanced around the idea that one class should be able to do everything while the other two will bug out during their class exclusive abilities making it impossible to win the game with anything other than the straight soldier. Oh yeah, and the only way to defeat tanks is to PUNCH THEM. I know that sounds epic as fuck, but when your rocket launcher won't even cause them to flinch, there is a problem.

Seriously, I'm almost sad that this game didn't get more press so people could see how hilariously broken this game was. It really was the worst thing this generation has put out.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
- Kane and Lynch 1 & 2
- Far Cry 2
- Aliens VS Predator (2008..?)
- Two Worlds
- Too Human
- Mercenaries 2
- Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
- Unreal Tournament Black
- Command and Conquer 4
- Mirrors Edge .............[small]*points for effort though*[/small]
- Killzone 2
- Alone In The Dark
- Haze
- Halo 2 <-> ODST
- CoD 4, MW2, W@W, Black Ops
- Medal of Honor
- F3AR
- The Witcher
- Turok
- Dawn of War 2 + CR........... [small](though DoW2: Retribution is looking up)[/small]

Israirie

Apr 17, 2010
Jaime_Wolf said:
I'm not sure I understand. It is a spiritual sequel to Baldur's gate. It shares the same mechanical concepts, the same genre features, and the same tropes - everything that defines a spiritual sequel.
I think maybe your memory has faded. Baldur's Gate is AD&D based. It uses AD&D derived rules, spells, lore, monsters and character sheets, which are all completely different to DAO. There are a huge number of items and class choices (far, far more than DAO, and again, different). Faerun (a D&D world) is a highly quirky, strange place full of absurdly powerful and insane characters where morality is very much in the eye of the beholder and barely anything is black and white - unlike the extremely straight forward story of DAO. There is stuff like planar travel, advanced magic based technology, a plethora of deities who are actively interventionist.

The two are nothing alike, and to call DAO a spiritual successor is a blatant lie. I don't think that is up for debate. You can't just give a guy a sword and some spells and throw in the ability to issue actions while paused and call it similar to BG. It has nothing to do with BG, in spirit or otherwise.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
Well I tend to avoid bad games, unless they're hyped up to be so horrible it makes me curious.

As a result, my worst game of this generation may be a "quality" title, it just baffles me why people like the piece of shit so much. Yes, it's Oblivion. I'm sure it's no E.T. or Custer's Revenge (never played those though), but it is the worst game I've played this generation. Too Human was broken as hell, but for some weird reason, I still had more fun with it. Once you get used to its quirks, it kinda works on a certain level, a few very frustrating parts notwithstanding.

It's just that as far as RPG's go, Oblivion did everything wrong. Retarded level scaling, copy-paste level design, dull story, dull NPC's, dull combat, omniscient guards, a zillion useless skills, all in the name of great useless freedom, no sense of direction whatsoever, unlimited fast travel so why bother walking even one step, dull world so why bother not using the unlimited fast travel,...

I absolutely despise Oblivion, and I can barely tolerate Fallout 3.

Also, the first Assassin's Creed. Ye gods, that was boring. When it came out I was looking forward to creeping around a medieval world, assassinating it up. Boy was I disappointed. I don't mind the horse-riding, I do mind the endless padding of fighting hundreds of guys on every trip between two cities. Or the controls, dear God. Try to sneak around a camp to stealth-kill a guard, and that dumbass Altair keeps climbing a horse every time I go near it, without my input, inevitably getting detected. The assassinations themselves are heavily scripted linear affairs, that allow no freedom. And the sheer pointlessness of most of the sub-missions culminates in the flag-collecting: no help from the game whatsoever, and when you find them all, you get no reward, not even an achievement.

So AC and Oblivion. I realize they're pretty much AAA-titles, but they pissed me off the most this generation. I'm probably just lucky I don't get games as presents.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
I don't know, to be honest. I don't buy a game unless it's had good reviews and it interests me. As such, possibly the only bad purchase I've made in a while would be Empire: Total War. I just didn't like it, which is weird considering how obsessed I was with its predecessors.

/edit
Or Fable 3. I really, really hated it by the time I'd finished. It wasn't that it was bad; it was just that I found almost nothing good features in it that hadn't already been done, and it lacked the sense of being part of an actual world that Fables 1 and 2 had. Again, this was a surprise for me considering how much I liked the predecessors, especially the original.

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
Personally it's a close call between Fallout New Vegas and Red Dead Redemption. RdR wins I think.

Now I'll be honest when I say that that series never was one of my favorites. But Fallout 3 was at least passable. This game was ugly in both artdesign and graphical design. I could barely play it due to it constantly crashing, freezing and deleting my savefile.
It felt more like playing a badly coded mod for Fallout 3.

RdR I have to give points though for two things. Story and admosphere. I really felt like I was in the wild west and the story was pretty darn good. Good enough to push me through the campaign. What I hated was...everything else. Missions were insanely repetative with only the outer shell being different.
To quote Yatzhee. "The designers thought if you liked doing one thing, you wouldn't mind doing it a zillion f*cking times" though like I said, in a slightly different casing.
Hunting didn't earn you anything other then...well...I don't know actually.
Glitches were everywhere sometimes even destroying the story for you (cutscenes didn't load or autoskipped). The controls were made for a threehanded berserker. I could go on and on about how much I disliked this game and how much everybody hates me for that opinion xD

Oh and Turtles in Time. I had such great memories about that game but the remake was kinda bad too imo.

Bender Rodriguez

Sep 2, 2010
Havzad said:
grand theft auto 4,
it was too gritty, and the ending was overall depressing
by the time the game was over i was hoping too end up with a huge mansion, a shiny car and all idiots who tried to mess with me, dead,(like San Andreas) no such luck...
i play video games to get away from a harsh reality, not to have one worse them my own
Very good assessment, i agree it was too eagerly awaited - Therefore a disappointment.
The friggin town was in Black and white, no sunshine and pretty girls.

Yet i do not agree on it being the worst game of this generation, technicalities and storyline was on its own a very good effort.
As for my worst game of this generation....

MW2, no soul.

(I also ignored KnL 2, its not a game...its a leaked demo)

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I don't know about you guys, but I don't play bad games.

Being one of the testers for Too Human, I actually have to object to that. All the other testers found it soul-crushingly bad, but I ended up playing as it was needed to be played to have fun. Even my friend who had a roommate who also was part of the test team was obsessed with how bad the game was turning out pre-release. He was watching videos of the Silicon Knights boss playing the game and saying how unfun it looked. I then showed him what I could do on the downloadable demo, and he admitted that I was able to make it look fun. He eventually played it about a year after it came out and didn't hate it. Fact is, they did a lot of things right in the game, but it's really easy to just focus on the mess of the other gameplay mechanics.

Now that I've probably broken some NDA rule even though I'm actually praising a game everyone hates, I'll submit Kane and Lynch 2. I didn't play it, but I saw it go for $5 on Steam, and not even that was enough to convince me to buy it. I've also never heard Yahtzee rip into a game quite the same as K&L2. Most of the time he will nit-pick on some petty detail and turn a molehill into a mountain. This time it was obvious that he had a mountain to start with, and didn't know what else to say than "oh lookie, a mountain".