Thief Steals Laptop, Returns Data on USB Stick

kjh242

Jan 7, 2010
hum... actually i'm a bit more frightened now. It means that thieves are either somehow becoming considerate (as the article states) or that thievery has become more and more of a game for them.

Zelbio

Mar 29, 2009
A weird little story with mixed feelings about this.
I guess in the end, I'd appreciate the fact that the data was returned.
Pissed of that the laptop was taken but they're replaceable. The data could not be.
Not sure what to think...

Turbo_Destructor

Apr 5, 2010
I love it! the thief's like "Sorry about this dude, its nothing personal, I just really need a laptop".

But lets not forget that he did still steal the guys laptop - and his very generous returning of the data does not fully absolve him

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
about two weeks ago I found a laptop at my school (college). It was sitting there, alone in a dark room late at night. Late as in, there are 5 students in the entire school. I could have taken that laptop. It could have been mine repercussion free. There were no cameras, and the last class in the day was out at 6pm or so. So there's no telling which student could have made off with it.

What did I do? I turned it into the lap monitor one floor up. yes, I thought about taking it. I stood there a solid minute thinking about it. Times have been hard for me. I couldn't bare the idea of making life hard ($2000 hard) on someone else.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Honor among thieves?
In this day and age?

I'm suprised, i mean he is still a criminal but at least he isn't a total ass

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Well this has brighten up my day a little bit. A thief with honer...

Any thing can happen i guess.

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Firia said:
about two weeks ago I found a laptop at my school (college). It was sitting there, alone in a dark room late at night. Late as in, there are 5 students in the entire school. I could have taken that laptop. It could have been mine repercussion free. There were no cameras, and the last class in the day was out at 6pm or so. So there's no telling which student could have made off with it.

What did I do? I turned it into the lap monitor one floor up. yes, I thought about taking it. I stood there a solid minute thinking about it. Times have been hard for me. I couldn't bare the idea of making life hard ($2000 hard) on someone else.
I would have just backed up the data onto a USB stick and then taken the stick, which would have likely sat around doing nothing because I never have the motivation to poke them. >_>

Raykuza

Jul 1, 2009
This is definitely a fresh computer theft story. The last one I heard involved some dumbass who stole a monitor and left the tower.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
You have rolled...

UNLAWFUL GOOD

The thief must be Unlawfully Good, He's still a thief, but that he went out of his way to get the data back, not even a neutral thief would have done that, too much energy and risk.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Best. Robbery. Ever!

well not really, the guy is still 600 odd Euros down, which sucks but at least he got the irreplaceable stuff back. If my laptop got stolen, I'd be happy to at least get my Hard Drive's worth back.

Is it wrong that (a relatively expensive) theft is warming the cockles of my heart?

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I've stolen computers before, and I've done this - for some people. Think of me as karma's angel.

Nin9Worlds

Jun 7, 2010
DayDark said:
You have rolled...

The thief must be Unlawfully Good, He's still a thief, but that he went out of his way to get the data back, not even a neutral thief would have done that, too much energy and risk.

Couldn't resist...

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
U no... My friend stole a laptop bout a month ago... He would have gotten away with it too. But he forgot the power cord. So he went back in to get it and guess what happened... He got his ass caught. XD This made me think of that.