Things that cause you to nerd-rage.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I had some heated debates in the past on Dr Who, especially on whether RTD was better then Moffat, or the other way round. I guess I'm still susceptible to that.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
thecoreyhlltt said:
holy christ, whenever someone tries to tell me i'm wrong about a Star Wars trivia question... or when so called star wars fans say episodes 1-3 are shit and what not, if you think they suck; then A) you're not a star wars fan. and B) YOU SUCK!
I don't care if people don't like the original trilogy. But I've had more people call me a moron because I DO like the movies. There seems to be a lot more hate towards fans of them then haters.

larysalove

Apr 15, 2011
Whenever a movie proves it knows nothing about mythology. Or a book. Or a person. Mostly Greek myth. I think the original details are interesting enough without changing them for "mass appeal."

Troy being one of the worst offenders, (that I actually saw) in my opinion.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
Quaxar said:
Pretty much any show involving computers screws their facts up.
Games do not work without any kind of HUD.

And for fuck's sake... why do you guys manage to make a show about doctors solving complex illnesses but at the same time make them suck at basic life-saving skills?
CPR does not work like this, doctor House!

Captcha: Vitamin allesos - do you get enough of it?
When I was doing first aid a few years ago, the course was changed from checking for a pulse to checking for 'lifesigns' (pass the tricorder Mr. Spock!) because med-students in their 3rd year couldnt find a pulse on a life subject, but could on a plastic doll. Just sayin'.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
000Ronald said:
When people refer to Adam (Frankenstein's Creature) as Frankenstein. And call-or imply-that he's stupid.

...yeah, Frankenstein was one of my favorite books.
Umm, then surely you'd know that Frankenstein's monster had no name. I can see where the Adam could come from (and how it would be a very appropriate name), but the fact is that it doesn't have a name.

OT: What causes my nerd rage?

Nerds not using their apparent intelligence actually reading or watching classic books/films etc. and instead spend it memorising all the minutia of the Star Wars expanded universe or collecting copious amounts of anime and starting hundreds of threads on internet forums about it.

Huh? I seems to have paraphrased this entire forum. My bad.

larysalove said:
Whenever a movie proves it knows nothing about mythology. Or a book. Or a person. Mostly Greek myth. I think the original details are interesting enough without changing them for "mass appeal."

Troy being one of the worst offenders, (that I actually saw) in my opinion.
I didn't think Troy wasn't that bad for inaccuracy. Firstly, they were going for a more realistic take on the book, thus omitting the Gods from the story, the characters still believe in and refer to them but they don't actually exist in real life, so yeah. Not in the film, same with the myth that Achilles was actually invincible, save for his heel.

Secondly, they only changed a few events around (such as Patroclus' role in the story) but I reckon that was just to make the story work better as a film, rather than a thousand year old epic poem.

Thirdly, we can't really berate the film for inaccuracy, seeing as we don't actually know what happened during the Trojan War, besides what Homer wrote (and even then, did Homer really exist? Was he the pseudonym for a group of writers?). I myself highly doubt that the Greeks somehow managed to sneak into Troy in a giant wooden horse at all.

dosp5

May 14, 2011
Instant K4rma said:
Stupid players in League of Legends. Not necessarily bad players, but stupid players. I understand if you die in lane because you're playing a new champ or just aren't very good. Fine. Perfectly acceptable. But then there are those people. You know of whom I speak. Those people that charge headfirst into a 1v5 with you standing beside him, and then blames you for not helping once he inevitably meets his demise. Those people really irritate me to no end.
This. I gave up on the online play after going into match after match of try-hards and cry babies. Which is a shame because the game is really enjoyable.I just play co-op vs AI and private matches from now on.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
When I make a joke about something in pop culture (for basic example: "It's not like little junkyard slaves ever grow up to be someone like DARTH VADER!!") and someone insists on demonstrating their intense knowledge of the subject in a way that ruins any humor or conversational value. (example: "Actually, Anakin wasn't the only one who did that. If you read some of the extended universe, blab blah")

OptimisticPessimist

Nov 15, 2010
People bitching about their cell phones. Really, take out your cell phone right now. Now look at it. Do you have any idea just fucking amazing what you're looking at is? Wanna[i/] know how amazing? If you took that fucker back in time a couple centuries, you'd be burned at the stake for being an agent of the devil. How crazy is that? That bastard sends a message to space. Just let that sink in. SPAAAAAAAACE[i/]!!! But you just can't for the life of you wait for five goddamn seconds for it to do that? Know what? Fuck you. Hard. With something large. And shiny. And spiky. And...purple.

(this is not aimed at people who don't ***** at their phone)

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Aetera said:
What triggers do you have that send you into a nerd-rage?

One of mine is when people ask why they didn't just ride the eagles to Mordor/Rivendell/etc. The eagles are heralds of and were devised by Manwë himself, the leader of the Valar. When they help, it is basically divine intervention. It's not like calling a horse or something. The eagles are not at your beck and call.

I know that I have others, but I can't recall them right now. Share yours!
I still think they could have at least asked the eagles. After all, people have known where they live ever since The Hobbit...though I suppose they live so far up that there's no way to get up there without wings. But couldn't they just bring Gandalf and have him amplify his voice with magic? (Can wizards do that in the books? Saruman did it in the Fellowship movie at Cahadras, but that scene was absent in the book) My point is, I think the Eagle's would probably listen if you told them Middle Earth will likely be destroyed and/or enslaved unless a ring is thrown into a volcano. Middle Earth is their home too, after all.

Moving on, I'm not sure if this truly counts as 'nerd rage' in the common sense, but it's still a bit nerdy. I am sick of seeing argument over argument over the correct definition of irony, especially since the post/comment that sparks it usually uses it right. But then some stuck-up asshole always has to come and say it wasn't ironic, even if it really was ironic. I mean good god, can people at least look up the definition before calling people out on it?

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Squarez said:
000Ronald said:
When people refer to Adam (Frankenstein's Creature) as Frankenstein. And call-or imply-that he's stupid.

Umm, then surely you'd know that Frankenstein's monster had no name. I can see where the Adam could come from (and how it would be a very appropriate name), but the fact is that it doesn't have a name.

Nerds not using their apparent intelligence actually reading or watching classic books/films etc. and instead spend it memorising all the minutia of the Star Wars expanded universe or collecting copious amounts of anime and starting hundreds of threads on internet forums about it.

The Creature refers to itself as Adam, and so did Mary Shelly.

hilarius117

Jan 24, 2011
People who accuse other people on not being 'true gamers" because they don't like to play the same games or are not very good at games. Also, people who claim to be "true gamers."

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
'Animation is for kids'

I want to see these peoples' kids faces after they watch Watership Down

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Valkyrie101 said:
Angerwing said:
Valkyrie101 said:
Angerwing said:
When people say "Evolution is 'just a theory'". It just tells me they profoundly misunderstand science, and it makes me angry inside.
Remind that evolution is a theory, but so is religion. That equalises the positions, so you can play the Evidence Game.
Christ... No. Just no.

Evolution is a theory in the way that gravity is a theory. The way that colours are a theory. The way that germs are a theory.

When you learn the theory behind a subject, you're not learning about the speculative ideas behind something. You're learning the principles that explain said subject.

There is a profound difference between a scientific theory (as in the case of "Theory of Evolution") and a 'theory' in common parlance. The scientific equivalent to a 'theory' is a hypothesis. A scientific theory is a very robust and testable explanation of how something works.

You can disagree with evolution until the cows come home, if you have something to back up that claim. But denying evolution because it's "just a theory" means you're a fucking idiot.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was saying that they can call evolution a theory, but then religion is also a theory. Then you go about comparing evidence, and that's when opponents of evolution start to lose (because they don't have any).
That's still very wrong. I'm not sure how I can say this in another way that might make sense for you. I'm really not sure where to go from here.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
000Ronald said:
Squarez said:
000Ronald said:

The Creature refers to itself as Adam, and so did Mary Shelly.
If memory serves me correctly (it's been a while since I read Frankenstein), he only refers to himself as Adam once, and only in a metaphor. I'm not one for authorial intent, either.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Anything to do with only using 10% of the brain and that using more would give us some sort of powers. It's entirely bullshit.

Also, bees wings not being explainable by science. For starters, being completely unexplainable by science doesn't make sense. Secondly, we know how they work, it's just not like how most wings work.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
Every time someone demands Blood Elf Druids or Undead Paladins on the WoW forums I just want to slap them.

Contrary to popular belief, Blizzard still somewhat cares about the lore, and Belfs just don't work. Blood Elfs focus on arcane magic, not nature, their culture is built on arcane magic. Then they always cite the same boss who turns into a tree while screaming "Nature bends to my will!". Yeah, that guy totally sounds like a nature loving Druid. Half the Horde are Blood Elfs already, do we really need more of them? Roll Alliance if you must be an Elf Druid.

As for Undead Paladins, that works even less then Blood Elfs. The only reason you can use holy magic to heal Forsaken is due to a gameplay mechanic, in lore all Forsaken Priests are Shadow Priests. Final Fantasy rules apply, healing hurts undead, if a Forsaken Paladin decided to cast exorcism he'd burst into flames. There's also the little matter that Paladins can only use the light if they believe what they are doing is right and for a higher power. Forsaken are pretty well aware of the fact that they're evil and only do things for themselves.