Things that instantly kill your interest in a game

AnotherBrowncoat

Aug 29, 2011
Anything Japanese.

I genuinely can't stand anime and the like, and the way Japanese games usually try to show a western influence by having a protagonist who doesn't necessarily look Asian. It doesn't fool anyone, and all we end up with is either extreme angst that would put a 13 year old emo kid to shame, or a bizarre creation that just looks and sounds ridiculous.

I read a review of Catherine, and was intrigued by it. Then I realised quite how Japanese it is and instantly lost all interest.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
DLC, Online Multi-player.

Then when I'm playing if I could across too much repetition, I'm out.

Also any game that starts with a long cut scene, or inserts long cut-scenes before I've earned them or give a shit about the game. Cut scenes are rewards for gameplay, not chances to foist your half-assed story on to me.

rmb1983

I am the storm.
Mar 29, 2011
Hisshiss said:
RPG's that "Close doors behind you" so to speak, like if it has a stat growth system that requires you to be in this place wearing this item or something at a certain point, and just screws you if you didnt, or in a more literal sense, RPG's that just dont ever let you backtrack for stuff, that one chance and one chance only thing always makes me feel like Im constantly missing important stuff that Im going to wish i had later, and it drives me crazy.

It's why my favorite kinds of RPG's now are MMO's, sandboxes, and diablo style ones, because those all allow you to either repeat a mission, go back there again, or in the case of diablo, it doesnt matter if you missed something because its all randomly generated anyways.

You could say im horribly OCD about RPG's, I just hate knowing I can't go back and get things I missed.
This.

OT: I generally give a fairly lenient chance to most games, even those I wouldn't think I'd be interested in. I am a bit notorious on my "Do everything, see everything, kill everything." game ideology, though, so if a game punishes you at some point for missing something earlier on (obscure or not, though the former is a lot more annoying), I'll typically put it down right then and there.
Seriously, how do developers think this is a good idea, on any level?
Missing hidden gems is one thing; not being able to progress or complete a task (side-quest/etc. or not) because of improperly labeled items or just hiding something somewhere it'd be easily missed is absurd.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
sheah1 said:
Arina Love said:
if game too difficult like with demon's souls and because it was too hard i will not be buying Dark Souls because of that and that alone.
Are you.... being ironic? Sarcastic?
Butting in here; based on what you've quoted, I do not see any hint of irony or sarcasm. A person can be turned off by to much challenge while others revel in it.

gery900

Mar 8, 2011
I don't really READ the "selling points", if I'm really interested, I probably heard it from some post, or guy, or friend, and I'm not going to look at "back of the box" stuff.
I read some video reviews, or GoG comments, that kinda stuff...

Get Off My Lawn

Jan 6, 2009
1. Attempts to put sex appeal in a game. Sex games are a genre of their own. Keep it over there, please. Leave it out of other genres.
Which brings me to...
2. Female protagonists who's main selling point is sex appeal and nothing else. That disgusts me. Mostly because it takes no effort to do, and the game designers just want to cash in. It also largely takes away from the character's personality that -COULD- have had potential if they didn't turn them into some bimbo.

3. Overly realistic gore in a video game. It unnerves me. I'd prefer for it to be more cartoony.
4. Bad voice acting. This is the worst and it instantly makes me uninterested in whatever they have to say. (Fallout: NV had a couple of obvious ones...)

Sam Cohen

Mar 22, 2011
I enjoy earning achievements. And nothing pisses me off more than online multi-player achievements. Especially the ones where you have to get the to highest possible online lvl, which requires hours and hours of repetitive gameplay, having no social life, and being constantly killed by abusive children who scream insults at you. Its not fun, and game companies need to learn that it is a massive turn-off for gamers.

subfield

Apr 6, 2010
this is an interesting question. For me its if the story is black and white. the villains are "dark shadowy creatures" and the good are "shining white knights". Makes me want to eat a gerbil, ffs. example: Nier.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
deathbydeath said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
When I see these damming letters: 'RTS'

I've given RTS titles a chance but since I'm more of a console player than anything I never really had much of a selection of RTS titles. Starcraft was alright but I knew the cheats and I've never enjoyed any other. Also, PC exclusives. My current PC is powered by one very old and slightly over-weight gerbil so gaming isn't really an option for me on this machine.
actually, something that's pc-only is a MAJOR turn-on for me, because I know that it's probably going to be something unique and niche that simply wouldn't be viable releasing on all three major platforms.
The most I can do for online gaming is flash-based games like you'd fine on Newgrounds and, Adultswim and, etc. Good stuff on the whole but that's where I'm stuck with. I am bitter for being unable to play The Witcher

CJSinc

May 1, 2011
Advanced crafting or any variation, if i see that on the back of a game box i put the game back, if i see it on a steam store page, i press store home...

Quebkim

Aug 29, 2011
Seemed like so much fun, I created an account so I can complain too!

Coverhugging in 1st person - The Killzone 2 single player is awful. (although by this point I'm pretty sick of first-person shooters. I still like 3rd person though.)

Overcomplicated squad controls in non-RTS/turn-based strategy games. Anyone played Freedom Fighters on PS2? That had squad control almost nailed as far as I'm concerned - a simple 3-button system, with all the controls you need (barring 'hold fire' for when I want to sneak).

When you're an unkillable lord of death, but dealing out said death is not fun.

Stat-heavy games that don't explain what all the stats mean. (Final Fantasy are bad offenders here) This is becoming less of an issue with wikis becoming official documentation, but it used to really bug me.

Single player only RPGs with easily achievable level caps (as in, can be reached playing the main campaign, doing all side quests, little unecessary grinding) - you've let me become an unkillable badass by this point already, any further progression won't make me functionally any more powerful, just give me more toys (by which I mean, fuck you KOTOR, lightbroomhandles won't make me forgive you this one).

Also, anything by bioware where they continue to show me they really liked the combat system system for neverwinter nights (KOTOR and DA:O).

Anything that's been obviously ported from PC to console and done badly (like in DA:O where it's cleary designed so you can have the crapload of hotkeys available on a computer, then restricting me to 6 shortcut commands. Coupled with the fact that that type of combat is only really fun on a computer, where target choice is quick and easy).

Any game that ruins things previous titles in the series worked so hard to set up - like Fallout 3 getting the Fallout atmosphere all wrong and bringing in a fresh batch super mutants for some reason. Or Mercenaries 2 by introducing some silly revenge motive opposed to the plot being: you are a mercenary, go kick ass (and also the game being rubbish).

And finally, anything that is really buggy (if it freezes all the time, I find it no fun).

Oh, also any PC game with above pants computer specs, My EEE just cannot handle it...

Golem_the_Golem

Mar 20, 2011
What really kills a game for me is veteran players who insult new players when they ask a simple question. Its really unneeded the time they waste on insulting the new guy could have been used to answer his or her question and moved on. too much of that really kills a game for me.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
1, Child characters in positions of authority or power.

2, Origin exclusive.

3, Company disregard for gamers with reliance of fanboyism. (see Blizzards whole mess)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Mcupobob said:
Well escapist I was browsing GoG for a good strategy game.
Me too, ended up with Dungeon Keeper 2(Finally, a version that works with Vista!). Awesome game, I recommend it.

So my lovely escapist what kills your interest in a title immediately upon reading the description?
While it doesn't completely kill my interest(if it were something I was looking forward to anyway), I tend to give a loud *ugh* at the word "innovation"/"Innovative". The Wii is the primary reason for this, they overused it and changed the meaning of the word innovation to 'different but not necessarily good'(extreme example that doesn't exist as far as I know: the start button function is now mapped to the right trigger - marketing blurb: Innovative, new control scheme!). It tends to be stupid more often than not.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
No imagination in it. This is why I can't get into war-shooters, sports games or regular racing games. Where's the aliens, timetravel, demons or other preposterous things? Where are all the prime colors? Where is everything that makes games fun!?

The Breadcrab

Mar 20, 2011
When a review of a game says "Terrific gameplay! Excellent graphics! Amazing audio! There's just one thing. The story is absolute sh-" (exits review) Seriously developers, it's 2011. You're pumping millions of $ into your games. How can you not afford to hire a half-decent writer? I need a decent story to keep me playing unless the gameplay is absolutely amazing.

And of course I'll buy and play the game anyways and say "yeah it was pretty good." V_V

Also... 3D, motion controls, "rich story" (right), "dark, gritty, mature setting" (NO!), "Third-person cover-based shooter" (puts gun to head), "Based on the hit movie!" (puts bazooka to head) no single-player at all, and the words "Final Fantasy."

EDIT: Also, extremely realistic games. Real life doesn't always make for fun scenarios, thank you very much. That's not saying I need something trippy and over-the-top all the time, but when you can't take three bullets, can't jump, and sprint at the speed of a disabled snail, you've gone too far.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
sheah1 said:
Arina Love said:
if game too difficult like with demon's souls and because it was too hard i will not be buying Dark Souls because of that and that alone.
Are you.... being ironic? Sarcastic?
no i'm serious. i just don't like difficult games.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
When a game is nothing but set-piece action moments with no contrast. For Example: I loved the first Modern Warfare. However, the the franchise starting going down hill with action sequences that kept coming one after the other. It started with Modern Warfare 2 and just got worse from there.