Things that instantly kill your interest in a game

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Anime art style. Yea, that's petty, but if I don't like looking at the game I'm playing, how am I expected to enjoy it? Also can't stand grinding. Neither are really game-killers, but those games had damn sure better be awesome.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
When a game tries to sell itself purely on boobs.
Instant interestkill.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Anything that involves WWII or contemporary warfare. So yes, that includes anything CoD, Medal or Honour, etc. If it doesn't have some kind of supernatural, horror, sci-fi or fantasy element (and no, fancy fictional guns don't count) then it almost always leaves me cold. Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is the only exception I can think of.

Also: Any game that generally involves little more than item collecting (Animal Crossing, I'm looking at you).

Also Also: Anything bearing the words "Developed by Dimps".

Jack O'Shea

Jul 17, 2011
when a game says multiplayer and it's only online multiplayer, without clarifying it on the box.
quick-time-events that require you to repeatly press the same button really really fast.
anything that requires me to get up, wii, kinect, motion-sensor in general. i'm a lazy shit and proud of it.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
The backread of any gamebox.

Seriously, I don't read them. I refuse to. The words on the back display a way to bright expectation of it, which can only diminish during gameplay.

Then again, sometimes the boxart also turns me away. I dunno why but..

Thigns that turn me away from the gameplay while playing the game?
Faulty controls, unoperable gamepads, annoying multiplayer, bad overview of the situation, laggy multiplayer servers, terrible host connections, flickering monitors and things that just are plain annoying like the ASC II "YOU HAVE MONEY IN YOUR VILLA COLLECT NAO!" continuous notions. I turned off all visual aspects to fully enjoy the game, counting my own ammo, getting the maps in my head and it's breaking it for me honestly =/

Zenkem

May 3, 2009
MMO it is. It means that the plot affects nothing in the world, gameplay is grinding, and stupid NPC:s are more often than not stupid people instead.

Not to mention that the MMO:s reward you for spending more time in them, meaning that you'll be a loser if you do something else with your time.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Well, the words "Total War", or any variation immediately turn me away from the game.
Most of the time, I give them a chance, but what really turns me away from certain games are the fan base. I really don't like SC fans because they claim to be the best at "the best RTS ever!" bullshit, play a real game where winning is based on strategy rather than massing troops or zerg rushing. I hate CoD fans for the obvious, "I think I'm a professional gunsmith because CoD tells me this gun does this." I don't like many PC gamers because, let's face it, we're a bunch of elitist assholes.

Other than those, I will not buy a game based on medieval times, but that's just because of a personal experience with a past friend...
lunncal said:
Other than that, I avoid any games with an over-abundance of brown or grey, mainly because I've yet to find a game like that which is actually fun.
I dunno, Dishonored looks like it'll be fun.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Anything that isn't either tongue-in-cheek or hilariously short and to the point in the game's description instantly makes me cringe. So I don't look at the boxesBAWKSES.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Nothing makes me lose interest on it's own surprisingly enough, except maybe a fast paced RTS... I like being able to take my time in stratagy games... And putting my buildings into pretty patterns

Yeah i prefer turn based combat (specifically Persona 4's turn based combat)

Also anything from Activision can fuck right off until they learn what the words "new IP" means

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
My girlfriend telling me to "stop playing, because we're going to the movies".

Yep, instantly obliterates any interest in a game. For the moment, at least.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
When I see these damming letters: 'RTS'

I've given RTS titles a chance but since I'm more of a console player than anything I never really had much of a selection of RTS titles. Starcraft was alright but I knew the cheats and I've never enjoyed any other. Also, PC exclusives. My current PC is powered by one very old and slightly over-weight gerbil so gaming isn't really an option for me on this machine.
actually, something that's pc-only is a MAJOR turn-on for me, because I know that it's probably going to be something unique and niche that simply wouldn't be viable releasing on all three major platforms.

ArbiterX13

Jul 2, 2011
drakythe said:
When the primary selling point is the game's multiplayer.

I don't mind this in games like Brink or Quake, obviously, those are purely MP games, so they get a pass. I'm looking at you CoD, BF, Killzone, et al. Sell me on the single player, not the MP that I don't play.
This. Multiplayer ruined CoD MW2 for me, as they clearly decided to work more on that than the single player campaign (which I liked, mind; it was just short). This is also the reason why I now play almost exclusively single player games now. No multiplayer excuse that way.

TheVurdmeister

May 2, 2011
Indefinitely the words "3-D". I really don't see the point in it in a game. But beside that, if the words "bullet-time" come up, all I can think of is "unoriginal". T.T

gamermunki

Aug 29, 2011
1. all women in the game are stupid or helpless
2. war, war, war and more war (don't we get enough on the nightly news?!)
3. cat people
4. dialog in-game outweighs play time (final fantasy, blarg)
5. you must endure an hour of cut scenes before getting to play
6. no female characters in a game that touts massive character customization options (Brink)
7. Only on console, must use a controller (carpal tunnel problems = controller is a no-go)
8. Cold, callous characters who are on a rampage for no particular reason
9. Being "on a rail" and not given the opportunity to explore the game world and go on tangents
10. arriving at a level or boss that is for no reason 100 times harder than anything you had experienced to that point in the game, and having to try over and over again to beat it. (aka having to memorize a sequence from a walk-through online and then execute it quickly and perfectly to beat it)

?and just to put a little positive spin on this thread - things that instantly make me want to play or finish a game:

1. powerful female characters whose dominant feature can't be described by a single letter.
2. someone took the time to make the characters lovable, a la Pixar
3. cheeky humor that makes you laugh out loud (Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, Portal)
4. games that allow non-hardcore gamers an easy/story mode and a chance to have a great experience in the game without being a master of keyboard controls (Thank you Fallout!)
5. good user interface! If the game looks great, put the polish on the UI bits, tutorials, online forums, websites, documentation, etc too please, these are part of the game experience.
6. games that build and support a community of happy players
7. a community of people in the game that is positive, encouraging and makes your experience awesome, especially when you come in as a newb.