Things that Skyrim Needs

Garethp

Jun 14, 2011
You know what I really want? I want to start my own damn rebellion. I want to introduce a third power to the war. I want to take over the world. I hate both factions, and it feels like which is the lesser of two evils. Interesting choice, morally, but I still just want to be able to make my own rebellion and kill them both. Heck, I could probably invade Whiterun MYSELF and take it over. ALONE. With some good use of tactics considering how many units there are when you attempt. But still!

Garethp

Jun 14, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
The ability to Alt-Tab out without crashing the game.
I can do that. But to get back in I need to click the Skyrim icon in my bar, then Alt+Tab again and click it once more to get in

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
They need to nerf the ancient dragons or else stop spawning them in towns. I'm sick of them killing unique NPCs.

Haxxle

Jan 14, 2011
Hard-Core mode from Fallout: New Vegas or something similar. I know it wasn't the most polished thing in the game, but it did add some sort of depth into the game as opposed to the 'Stack on F' loads of ammo from every single 'munition catagory and blast away a city or two'

Edit: Forgot to add; Weapon catagories featured in previous games like throwing knives, ninja stars, throwing darts of doom, shaolin staves which ACTUALLY hit people with the piece of wood or metal, spears for proding cattle and what-not, and finally Cross-Bows. Its been years and 'y no crossbows?'

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
war-refugees and hookers...drugtrade would be nice as well.

What? i like being criminal scum

Enosh_

Aug 27, 2008
some kind of a reputation system
I hate having defeated the ultimate evil, saved the world, killed 30+ dragons, enough bandits to populate a small city yada yada, but still be treated as a common peasant on the next quest I start

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Visually, herds of wild horses galloping through the plains of Skyrim.
More bird.

GP wise, longer Guild missions.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Better writing, more memorable characters, more tough decision making.

Plus better combat, I've gone from playing Arkham City straight to Elder Scrolls games, and the combat feels SO AWFUL, it is terrible, hits don't connect, and fighting in third person is plain clumsy, give us better combat, so it feels more real. Other RPGs don't have a problem with this.

Polyg0n

Jul 16, 2009
A lot more variety in environments and enemies. Also spellmaking. With those three things fixed it would probably become my favourite game ever.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Cliff Racers.
Just think of how much fun reading the forums would be if Skyrim had Cliff Racers, eh?

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
Platypuses. Everything needs at least one platypus.

Also, spears as available weapons.
If there was one improvement they could have made that would have increased immersion by a shitload, it would be spears. And lots of them.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
I wish we would have had an improved "Hardcore Mode", like the one Obsidian had in Fallout: NV.

And better fucking combat... Bethesda's combat has always been bad, and they are not even trying to make it better.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Kikosemmek said:
Of all things, the ability to actually alter the freaking world a bit. You know, you kill the soul-eating god dragon in the sky and absolutely nothing's different. No one leaves gifts at your doorstep. No one stops and offers service to you. Shopkeepers never lower their prices or give you free stuff for saving their bloody world.

A part of this would also entail changing the power structure. I really resent the fact that you can't kill certain people, and that if you did by console command, nothing changes. Wouldn't it be awesome to have quests that had you kill Maven Black-Briar, or one of the Jarls, and let you see what would unfold? Backstabbing to claim their position; civil wars; lynch mobs... how about letting the player hold these positions? Wouldn't it be cool to become a Jarl? Wouldn't it be cool to have a strategy mini-game as a Jarl that allowed you to raise and consolidate troops and then unleash them to take a city or a hamlet, with possibly your corporeal assistance? I know I wasn't the only person disappointed with the civil war quests. A city changes hands- and guards change colors. Nothing changes. Give me a break, Skyrim.

A-fucking-men to that.
The progression of the series from Morrowind to Oblivion almost suggested that the next step in Skyrim would be to have this interactive world, but sadly we got anything but that and NPC's that either bark the same lines at you or do absolutely nothing.

But then I feel Skyrim also missed out on lots of other ideas. Why can we not see caravans etc which you could pillage? Why does the world still feel dead? Why can we not burn crops and watch a town starve? Why can you run around butt naked in a snow storm and be fine?
Sadly I feel that these issues will only be solved with an actual new engine and new hardware.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
I know the modding community is probably working on a few things but I was planning on getting the PC version (I'm a proud 360 player) for the sole purpose of getting a group together to redo the whole thing.

I'd keep the roots of it all but expand so much more.
For example, there was an Escapist news post about mixing the visual beauty of Skyrim with the character depth of Dragon Age... I loved the idea.

How easy would it be to write in a few quests for your spouse after marriage.
Example: I'm sorry my love I am out of supplies for my shop so you will not recieve your 100 septims per day until you bring back 10x 30y and 5z.
Example 2: I just recieved a letter from my cousin in X, he needs help.

Ok they may be weak ideas but with a group and a little thinking I'm sure it could be thrown in pretty easily. Do that for many more characters around the world and you start getting a richer experience.
Add the above spouse idea to your followers... I can't follow you until I have helped my cousin with his rat/Draugr/girl problems.

There must be more than a few D&D players out there who can write a dungeon that is more than
1. Run in
2. Kill everything
3. ???
4. Profit.

Here's one I wanna see.
Beneath a volcanic mountain...
First it is a typical dwemer ruin, constructs and the like roaming the halls and maintaining the peace of their long-dead masters. It is all fairly straight forward but further and deeper in the guardians and traps get more and more lethal and complex. (I imagine that most people at this point have thir uber-character and want a challenge so I would have no problem making it nigh impossible for anyone less than the best.)
Below the city are cracks into the great dwemer mining halls. Here the dwemer constructs are in constant batle with the falmer. You can choose whatever method you like but at this point the constructs will not consider you hostile until you strike them. At which point both factions will attack on sight. Again I think there is no problem with beefing them up here or using superior numbers because who wants it to be a cakewalk.
Then comes the Falmer side where you have to get through the falmer traps and then the falmer city. This time steadily rising in depth but not too much.
The Falmer are all immune to poison and have a heat resistance. You find out why when you reach the other side of their city and pass through their "Temple District" where rivers of lava that emit a poisonous gas flow around statues of dragons.
In the heart of their temple is a great door. On the other side is the interior of a great volcano. The fog weather effect could be used but throughout it there is constant fire and poison damage.
Living in this cave is a great dragon guarding whatever prize that has drawn our character here. He breathes fire, is immune to heat and poison and it is so hot in here that he can even resist your most potent ice spells.

My point is that these projects may seem big but if you can get a group of people together than we can produce great mod and adventures that satisfy all our dreams for this game.
Gygax gave us the game D&D and although we all enjoyed playing the prewritten adventures the best ones have always been the ones we wrote ourselves.
Bethesda have given us Skyrim and a mod kit... We can use this for more than just child killing and nudity.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Akimoto said:
O maestre said:
maybe its just me that is too early in the game, but besides people talking about it, there doesn't seem to be too much a civil war going on.
There is a 'war' between the Imperials and stormcloaks but it's not much. Still it's great fun to sic Odaving on a fort full of enemies. Wish there was more though.

Nouw said:
Giant snakes. It'd be fun to go giant snake hunting!
SNAAAAAKE!!!

a cookie for those who get it
Badger Badger Mushroom Snaaaaake?

Yeah, snakes would be cool. Giant snakes. I loved playing Conan and taking pictures whenever I stumbled over those millstones.

It does already have strange cultists that vomit on you. I liked that bit. It was seriously messed up.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I want Hand to Hand to return as Martial Arts. I will never turn off a game where you can play as an magical elven Viking kung fu-kicking dragons in the face. And killing them.