Things you aggressively don't care about

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Beatles.

I like "Hey Jude" and "All You Need Is Love" well enough, but I have never listened to an album. And after I've had multiple die-hard fanboys insist to me that Revolution 9 is an unprecedented classic that will never be surpassed, I refuse to listen to one out of principal.

They're OK. They're not great.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Auron225 said:
I aggressively don't care for extensive apathy ;D

Honestly? I truly couldn't care less about celebrities and whatever mundane thing they happen to be doing that for some reason is headline news. That's not to say I dislike all celebrities - I'm sure lots of them are ok people. It's the ridiculous obsession/worship of them that drives me up the wall.
I am kind of in this boat but I'm going to expand on it due to where I live. I'm sick of it being shoved down my throat and people telling me how "great" Hollywood is (because I'm only an hour ish away from Hollywood). Or LA in general. Hollywood culture out here is fucking ridiculous. Most of the women in my city alone (I don't even want to know the stats for LA on this) have had so much plastic surgery to look like x celeb or y celeb (at least in body type) that it's ridiculous. We have a lot of women who have pumped up their lips, enlarged their breasts to slightly ridiculous portions(and when I say ridiculous I mean they literally look ridiculous because their body doesn't match the proportions. IE: superly thin girl looks like a strong gust of wind could knock her over, HUGE fucking breasts. And they usually brag about how much work they've had done which is why I know how many and which women in my city have had work done. Loudly. and in public.), liposuction to make themselves thinner(though that's more rare since most of them either have anorexia or bulimia and again are fucking proud of it) or to get that thigh gap because y'know muscle in your legs is unattractive when it makes your thighs touch....., or whatever else (too lazy/tired to remember the rest of them not to mention my lack of caring I'm just tired of hearing it). I mean I get it if you have a breast reduction. I get it if you had breast cancer and lost one or both of your breasts and get surgery to get them back. I get it if you're trying to lose weight and you just can't for whatever reason so you have the weight reduction surgery. Or a medically necessary surgery. But having it just because you're vain and want to look like what Hollywood portrays us Southern Californians as.....-sighs- I don't watch tv, don't search out popular media or anything on the internet. Due to friends who obsessively follow it and then tell me no matter how much I say I don't care, I can tell you just about any basic plot line of any show. Also, it's fucking everywhere here. Billboards. Amusement parks. Shopping. Hell, I've met a few celebrities in my life and some of them I didn't even realise who they were. They're nothing special. Just a human with a very publicized life/job. The idolization bothers me greatly.

AngloDoom said:
When people one-up someone else's misfortune.

"...and since then, I've lost the use of my left hand."
"Yeah, I've got the same AND I've gone blind in one eye."

A'ight. Good for you?
My mother does this constantly. And I despise people who do it. And then they get offended when you call them out on doing it. Because they don't like not feeling like the center of attention.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Dragonbums said:
I used to have a slight inkling for things like Homestuck last year. That stopped immediately when my tumblr dashboard was 80% Homestuck. Now that tends to happen with me with other fandoms as well. But once the hype dies down my interest peaks again. I can't say the same for Homestuck. Even though it makes up 1% of my dashboard now I still can't give two shits about it.
I've somehow managed to avoid Homestuck until fairly recently. In general I try to avoid fandom debates as much as I can, even ones I'd normally find myself caught in. Take ME3's ending for example, I'm a fan of Bioware games (the only game I didn't care about was SWTOR and Shattered Steel)and while the ending did piss me off, it didn't ruin the game for me. The shitstorm that followed disgusted me to no end and I avoided it like the plague.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Facebook. I have an account, it exists, technically. But the amount of crying, conspiracy theories, and the Yahoo-news level of political discourse (if you're not aware of this, go to the front page of yahoo, click on something vaguely-political, and then read the comments. I'm sorry) makes me glad my account exists only for logging into websites I'm too lazy to do otherwise.

Profession-based reality shows. You own a pawn shop? Good for you, I don't care. You drive a truck? Good for you, I don't care.

Pop music. It's bad, it's always been bad, and if it's any good, it'll get played as something other than pop music. Also, you cover yourself with meat to draw attention to your bad music? Good for you, I don't care.

YA Fiction. Oh dear lord does YA Fiction have a massive hatedom considering how easy it is to avoid.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Tomodachi Life. All the issues that LGBTOMGWTFBBQs face around the world and this piece of sputum is what people choose to vent their spleen about? Seriously? A game based around making a life from Miis, when it took less than a quarter of a second after the invention of the Mii system to make Miis of Hitler? A game which mostly seems to involve people throwing NES Zappers at each other? This is what the world has decided to be offended about? Sheesh.

That whole debate was people deciding that they couldn't fight a real battle but had to fight something.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Michael Tabbut said:
Dragonbums said:
I used to have a slight inkling for things like Homestuck last year. That stopped immediately when my tumblr dashboard was 80% Homestuck. Now that tends to happen with me with other fandoms as well. But once the hype dies down my interest peaks again. I can't say the same for Homestuck. Even though it makes up 1% of my dashboard now I still can't give two shits about it.
I've somehow managed to avoid Homestuck until fairly recently. In general I try to avoid fandom debates as much as I can, even ones I'd normally find myself caught in. Take ME3's ending for example, I'm a fan of Bioware games (the only game I didn't care about was SWTOR and Shattered Steel)and while the ending did piss me off, it didn't ruin the game for me. The shitstorm that followed disgusted me to no end and I avoided it like the plague.
It wasn't even Homestuck fandom debates. It was just pages after pages of fanart, shipping pics, shipping fics, and text posts about characters and situations I had no fucking clue about yet alone cared about.

As for the Mass Effect debates over the ending a lot of it was simply contained to the Bioware forums itself. With some of it being on the Escapist (I would know I was part of it). But the most vile crap came from the homefront. Felt kind of bad for the staff over there. Then again they only escalated the issue with the "2deep4u" mentality to back up their endings. Oh and then there was that incident when they lied about taking surveys stating that more people liked the endings. When asked to back it up it was met with silence.

But eh. I'm not gonna buy ME4 until Youtube reviews come out. If it's trash then that's a done deal with the series for me.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
delta4062 said:
To add to it. Guys really need to stop white knighting sexism in games all the fucking time. If it truly bothered you that much then you would of started discussing the issue long before it was the fad.
Wouldn't the white knighting of sexism ACTUALLY achieve fad status if they stopped talking about it all the fucking time? I thought fads were more defined by their sudden ends, not their persistent presence.

Eddie the head said:
TakerFoxx said:
Eddie the head said:
TakerFoxx said:
The whole evolution vs. creationism debate. I get why other people care about it, especially those involved in education/science/religion/whatever, but as for myself, I really don't care about how something that happened a fuckton of years ago took place. I'm just glad that it did.
Evolution didn't just happen "a fuckton of years ago" it's still happening. It doesn't end with us.
=sigh=

I know. I was referring to the whole origin of the species/world thing that people get so heated about. I wasn't there, me taking a side on that debate isn't going to impact my life or anyone else's in the slightest, ergo I don't care.
What you appear to be talking about isn't even evolution. That's abiogenesis. Not the same thing.

Also the theory of evolution dose impact your life and the lives of others. Immunologist's use it to predict how the flu virus will change. Even if we disregarded that just because we don't know of an application for a theory at the time doesn't mean it won't be useful later. The theory of relativity was considered largely useless at the time, but now satellites would fall out of the sky if we didn't compensate for relativity.

I'm not saying this to belittle you but appear to have little to no understanding of what the theory of evolution is. That's fine ignorance is your right. I'm not trying to take that away form you, but I don't want you misinforming other people. You don't care I get that, but I do. If you don't care about it so much don't talk about it.
"I'm not saying this to belittle you but" virtually never continues a conversation cordially.

Especially since you make nearly no personal effort to explain the theory of evolution you care for so strongly (as to 'offhandedly' insult someone else). If you really felt that he was ignorant/apathetic and yet you care for the issue, you'd still make the effort, letting him be potentially ignorant or apathetic for the cause. Which is up in the air, since I've taken it that he's apathetic to the perceived 'debate', not necessarily the theory of evolution itself; his knowledge of arbitrary, since it's just an opinion anyway.

Also, his initial point is actually kind of right. Evolution DID happen "a fuckton of years ago". It just so happens to have happened again right after that, and right after that....all the way to the present and beyond.

In any case, wield passion with care.

OT:
Auron225 said:
I aggressively don't care for extensive apathy ;D
^

EternallyBored hit upon it, but 'aggressively don't care about X' might as well translate to 'I'm annoyed by X'. Which just leads to petty opinion slinging in the end. Opinions don't convince me one way or another on their own; the way they're baselessly slung on the internet, they just show ugly people.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Slyaap said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Can I point out that there's no creationism vs evolution "debate", the same way that there was no flat earth vs round earth "debate" after the round earth "theory" became widely accepted. A vocal minority of very silly people denying, without producing any rational scientific justification whastoever, what the scientific communities of every first world and most third-world countries on earth accept - those scientific communities having produced logical arguments backed up by observable phenomena to support their position - does not constitute a "debate".

If I gather a large group of people to picket restaurants serving onions, on the basis that cutting into them releases so much gas into the air that pretty soon the world's entire population would not be able to stop crying, and then everybody in those restaurants told us to shut the hell up, that also would not constitute a "debate". It'd be a bit more sensible than the "evolution vs creationism" thing, but still not a debate.

I do agree, however, that the topic is tiring.

Anyway, on a lighter topic, my choice would be the Marvel movies. The only ones I've really enjoyed are the "Thor" movies. I don't begrudge people from enjoying them, I just wish that some of the publicity used to market them could be used for films that I think are much better (and there've been several this year already). There's just way way way way way too much marketing and I just... don't... care.
However well presented this post was I have to object. You make a perfect example of exactly the type of arguement other people have mentioned. I don't see how creationists could be right. I think they have no scientific reasoning. I think they have no logic.I. I. I. I. I. I. I............there could be a boatload of evidence on one side or the other, but to say that people haven't EARNED a right to voice their beliefs...that scares me. It really does. Hope we can be civil.
I agree with you completely here. I think that anybody should have the right to voice their opinion - you take that away and we lose a pretty essential freedom.

That said... I don't think that that automatically means it should be listened to or acted upon by anybody else. That's the part that you have to "earn", and the way that you do that is by stating your position with clarity, rationality and reason. While obviously some creationists are more articulate than others, in the end they're arguing a position that I find indefensible, and none of them has managed to convince me otherwise. And that's overstating it, because what they are saying does not constitute an "argument" in the sense that I've just defined it. They're not arguing a position, they're shouting as loud as they can in the hope that others will think they're right. Fine, let 'em shout! But don't expect me to dignify what they're doing as "debate".

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Lately, most of you.

No really, that's not me trying to clever, this site and it's users are starting to really get on my nerves in certain regards.

I'm no saint, certainly not a genius, but holy fuck you guys irk me out quite a bit sometimes.

Hell, the entire basis of this thread is pretty much why.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
TheNaut131 said:
Lately, most of you.

No really, that's not me trying to clever, this site and it's users are starting to really get on my nerves in certain regards.

I'm no saint, certainly not a genius, but holy fuck you guys irk me out quite a bit sometimes.

Hell, the entire basis of this thread is pretty much why.
I'm right with you there man. I feel like anyone that could weave a colorful counter-argument to some people's bullshit was weeded out years ago with the aggressive moderation we have. Mostly, that's a good thing, but I'm getting tired of walking away from discussions and arguments because I like being able to talk on this forum. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
As has already been mentioned I'm not sure how you can "aggressively" not care about something, but alright I'll play along.
1. Twilight. I haven't read it or seen the movies, but it's sounds like something that spawned from a 13 year old's fantasy journal. However it's not something that's worth my time. I'd rather devote my energy towards my toast landing butter side down.
2. My Little Pony. Ok I'll admit I'm sick of seeing this all over the place, but like Twilight and can't bring myself to get all that upset about it.
3. And like the OP, sexism, racism or anything else with "ism" on the end. I'm all for equal rights and getting rid of discrimination and whatever, but when people start seeing isms in EVERYTHING, that's when I start getting annoyed.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I usually have something to say about everything, and if I don't, I simply don't care in the non-aggressive way. ...Or so I thought, but there is at least *one* thing that qualifies. That one thing is: "tragic" news especially about some celebrity's early death or animals getting abused somewhere somehow. Every time something of the sort pops up (for example on my Facebook) I must fight the urge to post a passive-aggressive/morbidly sarcastic comment. Sometimes I do it, but usually I manage to simply hide the piece.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
Lieju said:
I aggressively don't care about white cis hetero men.

I get it, you exist.
Stop pushing it down my throat.
If this is not sarcasm:

I still laughed, but it kind of reinforces my avoidance of people that are transgender. I've never been upset that a transgender or homosexual does their whole "existing" thing and anything that comes with that including using changing rooms that don't match genitalia or PDA. It doesn't affect me in the least and good for you for living like a person should live. But that is not reciprocated and aside from a few, I can't stand to be around any of them because their attitude is just unpleasant. I mean, I was born this way, dammit.

If this is sarcasm:

I laughed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CloudAtlas said:
Well, if I do think about such arguments, I often come to the conclusion that the people making such arguments haven't really thought about their arguments themselves. Or that perhaps the wish was father to the thought, but that is something I rather not think too much about.
And I agree. I don't think people put any thought into these arguments/statements before saying them. This is also why they fall apart so quickly.

To make an argument like the one I quoted, you have to assume that women don't play games/watch movies/read books or that if they do they don't really care about having heroes of their own gender they can identify with, that the men who're advocating for the same are just caring about it because it's novel (or because they're white knighting, of course), that - like you said - strong male and female characters are fundamentally different from each other because the male variant has been ubiquituous for millenia - pretty long for a "fad" - all pretty dubious assumptions if you ask me.
It also might come from a place where women are only getting involved in gaming for the sake of activism. While I hope this isn't the case, we've seen it before. I mean, the most notable case is You-Know-Who....

Actually, you know what? It's kind of funny you mention white knighting (though perhaps it was intentional), since men who are okay with women in gaming are being called names based on one of the most persistent clichés in history, and one that dovetails with things like "damsel in distress" and "save the girlfriend." And now I'm wondering if there's more to that.

Indicating there's a fad going on seems inherently dismissive, and I think this is less apathy and more an attempt to rationalise antipathy. It reminds me of the people who vote down gay marriage and say they don't hate gays, they're just against ALL marriage. But only ever take a stand against gay marriage. Rather than address the issue, we build up a specious claim.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
newfoundsky said:
I still laughed, but it kind of reinforces my avoidance of people that are transgender.
Even though she's not trans?

Does it also reinforce you avoidance of people of colour?

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I cannot answer this question because all of the things that I don't care about are things that I do not know about yet.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
newfoundsky said:
I still laughed, but it kind of reinforces my avoidance of people that are transgender.
Even though she's not trans?

Does it also reinforce you avoidance of people of colour?
Generally, no.

I get the "cisscum" thing from those that are transgender predominately, as it is predominately a slur used by Transgender people, and to a lesser extent the rest of the LGBT community. I realize, yes, that it is wrong to blanket the whole group. I try to avoid it. But, when your primary interaction with a group of people is negative even though you support that group, it starts to take a toll and you get knee jerk reactions like the one I made.

I'm sorry I assumed her to be Transgender, but understand that the community is becoming more and more toxic to people not like them, even though the first to go to bat for them if they see injustice or ignorance are predominately cisgender.

Really, it would not matter if she was transgender, gender neutral, cisgender, or a cactus, the fact that the statement was said in all seriousness (like I mentioned, it could very well be sarcasm, however) is enough to make me want to push myself further from the community that I support, and it is really hard to support an effort without being involved in it.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
You know, the easiest way to deal with this is to just turn off the TV. I think the great irony in my life right now is that my only exposure to celebrity BS is when my friends are bitching about how much they hate it on Facebook.
It is a very difficult thing to avoid if you have access to any form of media. I tend to just ignore it but it does annoy me

I tend not to watch much TV anyway and when I do I dont get much exposure. I think the radio can be worse sometimes and considering I live in a rural area I only really get BBC radio 1 and 2. I prefer radio 1s music but the inane celebrity chatter (especially that nick grimshaw in the morning) is a lot worse

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
newfoundsky said:
Really, it would not matter if she was transgender, gender neutral, cisgender, or a cactus, the fact that the statement was said in all seriousness (like I mentioned, it could very well be sarcasm, however) is enough to make me want to push myself further from the community that I support, and it is really hard to support an effort without being involved in it.
It's not like I actively hate white heterosexual cis men.

I just aggressively don't care about them.