Things You Can't Prove, But Believe

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
I believe that if this world didn't have religion, there would have been much less wars.

However, I also believe that if we didn't have religion, everyone's morals would also be different to what they currently are, seeing as the rules that everyone follows are based on christian commandments, and that peoples morals coincide with these commandments.

Don't want to discuss religious beliefs or anything else annoyingly tedious, just that without religion (religion lacking now wouldn't matter, as all western cultures follow the commandments anyway) at any point in time, peoples morals would be much different.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Whateveralot said:
My existence.

I THINK that I'm here, but is that really the case?

Life gets wierd, when you think about it..
The philosopher Descartes had something to say about this actually. He tried to sweep all facts off the table, to doubt everything that could not be solidly proven, and all he came up with in the end is that since he is experiencing doubt, there must be some force performing the action "doubting." This eventually became written down as "Cogito ergo sum" "I think, therefore I am."

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
That humans have a spiritual side, but it cannot be affected by anything physical and that it is not born from a god but nature itself. I believe it because its impossible to imagine not existing so I believe time has and will be enternal and we are simply reincarnated physically when life throws out a new life. If there are more lives than souls then a new soul is created and if there are more souls than lives then our souls exist in a waiting room of sorts which is kinda like sleep as in you wont remember any of it afterwards but were concious the whole while. I know it sounds stupid but it just feels right and its not a religous theory but one of existance if that makes sense.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
Personally I believe in Ki and Chakra's

Though quite honestly it's not for me to decide who's right or wrong for believing something.

Usually I'll let science decide that for me, but I don't think there's a way to monitor it, making it unprovable.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Deathmageddon said:
DoPo said:
OT: No, not really. I believe in things that can be proven, directly or indirectly. That which cannot be proven should not be accepted or rejected as truth. Blind faith is the root of ignorance and stupidity.
Try saying that to anyone with a PhD in physics. Almost all current research in physics involves hypotheses that can't be proven, at least not yet.
Being unable to prove something at the moment isn't grounds to automatically discard it. After all, there is a high chance something led you to this hypothesis, so unless people are just making stuff up, there may be some minimal proof in it.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Shoggoth2588 said:
One more: I believe that every fictional universe created by Man is an actual one we are merely unable to get to. We are a pocket-dimension that exists alongside others such as that Marvel and, DC universes to name two (of the millions) but they can't directly interact with ours in any way more significant than how they already do (ie: inspiring the artists, storytellers, etc of tomorrow.)
Against my better judgement, a tiny part of me sort of believes this too. I'm fully aware that it's a case of wishful thinking and a way for me to handle the disappointment of not being able to interact with all the awesome stuff in fiction, but I can't make the niggling little "but what if it IS all true" thought go away...

Similarly, a little part of me believes that someday I'll wake up with superpowers and/or magical abilities...

Also, despite *really* believing that there's nothing after death (which I also can't prove, obviously), a little bit of me likes to think that everyone "wakes up" in whatever world they want/expect to wake up in after death. Again, a way of not letting go of childhood fantasies I think, but if there's even the remotest sliver of a chance that I might get to live out eternity in Asgard or Middle Earth, I'm going to hold onto that thought!

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
That at one point Dragons existed. Nothing could span that many culture without having some for of origin

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Everything I take to be real.

You see, while science can provide evidence towards something, it can never definitely prove it.
And yeah, I prefer to not use the word 'believe' it implies blind faith, whereas I am skeptical.

TehCookie said:
I'm invisible when no one looks at me (cameras included).
Technically you are, as you cannot be seen whist you aren't being observed.

keinechance

Mar 12, 2010
Captain Pirate said:
Some form of God.
Now, before you all have a rant at me, I said 'some form of'. Not "The Christian God" or any other one, but some kind of creator.
I just find it immensely hard to believe that we, humans, who have advanced beyond our primal instincts so much that we barely resemble our fellow animals, happened by accident.
The world is too awesome for me to just think it was all random.
Humans - Chimpanzees -> 96% identical genes.

Humans - Mice -> 80% identical genes.

As for "unique" behavior:

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Human_and_ape_behavior

http://www.jqjacobs.net/anthro/paleo/primates.html

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
I Believe in the paranormal 100% but i cant prove it .. i can just make observations and stuff but its something id like to think existed especially ghosts even if they would scare the shite outta me :D

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Related to gaming:

-You can't actually slip into a "dream world" playing games, immersing yourself into the world presented to you completely.
I've oftenly been accused of that but that's just not how it works.
This is hard and frustrating to argue against, especially when talking to non-gamers who go by their "it quacks like a duck, its a duck" logic when they see me being focused on playing a game.

-Violent games don't make you violent. Seeing an action does not inform it.
This applies not only to violence, of course.
Again, hard to argue against for the lack of "proof".
Ain't no magic word out there explaining it all but you just know it's true. I hope.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I believe in luck.

I know that everything happens through a chain of events, but a lot of things to seem to end up in my favour more often than not, while others seem to never get their own way.

I'm lucky :D
Clearly you are not in fact Obi Wan Kenobai... my entire belief system is shattered...

Equlan said:
The existence of an external world. I mean, how would you prove it?
There's far more proof for the external world than for idealism, though...

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
keinechance said:
Humans - Chimpanzees -> 96% identical genes.

Humans - Mice -> 80% identical genes.

As for "unique" behavior:

http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Human_and_ape_behavior

http://www.jqjacobs.net/anthro/paleo/primates.html
Well obviously.
But do those animals speak multiple languages, or have cars?
Do they do art, or science?
No, and that's my point. We're so different in other ways than genes and common behaviour.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
That Lee Harvey Oswald was the only person responsible for JFK's assassination.

The moon landing was real.

I would say the Indoctrination Theory for Mass Effect 3, but that's more like wanting it being true, not actually believing it is.
infernovolver said:
There's a word out there that rhymes with "orange".
Range? Arrange? Syringe?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Duskflamer said:
PrismaticDragonGirl said:
That we all see different colours but call them by a universal name.
I can sort of understand this one if you concede that the different colors we all see at least interact with each other in a consistent manner. Otherwise the entirety of color theory (things like Orange being the compliment of Blue) wouldn't work, as everyone would see different colors as having various properties with each other with no consistency. That color theory exists and is consistently accepted at least shows that the different colors we see interact on a consistent basis.
This actually relates to something I once thought about as a child.

What if everyone's perception of colours is different. So if you saw someone's perception, what they saw as blue you might see as brown. But because we're all unaware of each other's unique perceptions, and assume they're the same, the language still works as a means of communication about colour.

That would also explain why people are colour blind. Two different colours might be intensely similar to them in their personal perceived colour scheme, etc.