This "cod hate" is getting out of hand.

Triple AD

Apr 1, 2009
MacJack said:
*Le Snip*
As for cod being for 4 hours? Well their competitors moh and homefront were 3 hours with a far weaker campaign.
Also bearing in mind that these games may competitors to CoD but they were both rated pretty badly so this is probably a bad example to use.

And to answer your question. There are some parts of the gaming community that's just full of trolls. There's no denying it it's true. And since CoD is not only a mainstream game but has been blamed for the recent rise in Generic FPS's (Generic is arguable) and has also been blamed for other games following the same mechanics as CoD which people don't like. So the 'trolls' will criticize CoD due to this.

Now the reason why CoD is disliked by most people (Partly projecting my own opinion here) is that it rarely brings any thing new (Most unique addition in CoD 7 is probably Replay IMO), the fan base is fairly bad (Trust me I've raged at the community of CoD plenty of times) and this is the 8th game. Let's be honest when you've released essentially the same game almost 8 times it's obvious you're milking the franchise.

I can understand why people like the game though but I don't.

And that was my opinion.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
but it's pretty obvious in my mind that TF2 is much better than CoD.
Yeah. I'm not going to deny that TF2 is a better game than CoDBattlefield. Never will those words... escape... my fingers(???)

I'm just saying that it's not the holy grail of gaming either. I only play it because it's a fun enough cartoon shooter where I can heal people with a gun that shoots pure SCIENCE! Gonna level with you, though. I only play(ed) it so that I've got a game to play until a much more interesting title comes out. Now it has, and my review is on its way. As soon as I can get a buttload of booze.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some awesome game to play.

stewox

Dec 25, 2009
Macrobstar said:
To some up my posts, cod has haters because opinions are a thing
The same reason every game has haters
it's not about the game it's about the industry

I did play MW2 singleplayer , it's short and not what i was used to , spec ops was good surprisingly , but the multiplayer is totaly dumbed down.

ofcourse i support the hate , i know what's going on.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I agree. What do people have against cods?
OH! You mean Call of Duty? Well you're right that CoD is being singled out, but Call of Duty richly deserves the shit it's taking. True Dead Space 2 and New Vegas earned stick as well, but they generate a fraction of the intensely unwarranted hype that CoD recieves.

ExplosiveTiger

Jul 4, 2011
The games have gotten extremely stale. It's the same shit every year, maybe if they took their time and actually made noticable gameplay changes like other companies *cough*DICE*cough* their games would improve. Does anybody even remember why COD4 was so awesome? It was such a drastic change from the other COD games.

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
Well, I don't mind the fact that a new Call of Duty gets released every year because a bunch of game series do it and it's putting bread on the table for Activision. What annoys me is all the douches that play it online. You know who I'm talking about. The guy that only plays Call of Duty and Madden and thinks that he's such a hardcore gamer.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Meh, it's the next Halo.
Some of the hate is quite justifiable; we can't have variety or try new things in FPSes while CoD4.x is still using its regurgitated formula to set record sales year after year.
Same thing happened with the Halo series (until CoD4 replaced it).

After three years, I've played/seen two (maybe three) FPS titles that looked and played like they were actually inspired (Bioshock 1, Borderlands, and Left 4 Dead). The upcoming Deus Ex game looks like it might, just MIGHT also break that formula a bit (though since it's being developed for consoles first, I seriously doubt it).

Until then, we get to watch a parade of CoD clones roll by, each with minor or superficial differences, but all essentially doing the same goddamn thing.

Until then, I'm sorry to say but Call of Duty will continue to be a focal point of hatred until it gets punted off of the best seller's list.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
MacJack said:
Sthey are like "go play cod" like its some knida insult when in reallity its one of the most sucessfull franchises thus a very good geame.
Succesful =/= good you are using an Argumentum ad populum. Just because something is popular or sells well does not make it good. Some of the deepest, best written and interesting games, films and books have sold terribly because they were poorly marketed or because people are afraid to try new things, or both. In the case of COD, it sells well because COD4 was a really good shooter with a great single player campaign as well as great online play. All the COD games since then have just been the same thing only with a worse single player campaign and more overpowered bullshit in the online play, this is why people hate on it, because it's like a cream cake that's been in the fridge too long, it's stagnating and acquiring mould and it really needs to be thrown out and replaced with something new, and perhaps a bit different.

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
Cogwheel said:
Jezzy54 said:
But I do hate cod, it's nowhere near as good as salmon.
As much as we really shouldn't derail the topic like this, good call. Salmon is amazing.

Come over here some time, we get salmon coming up the river in november. Really.
I live in Everett, and I'm so sick of Pacific salmon at this point. The only fish that I can stand anymore is Alaskan Halibut. Expensive, yes; but if I'm putting in the effort to buy a fish or eat out, it's gonna be something that I'll enjoy.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Yah, the thing though is that the games aren't necessarily popular because they're exceptionally good, other games do their formula better and don't sell as good, it's because all of their friends are going to get it and play it so it's draining everyone's wallets for the same game with updates (true for other franchises, but they're different in the sense that they're more able to switch things up, like say Fallout, each new game has new quests and new weapons).

Dramerc said:
The cod hate is because most COD fans think they know everything about guns yet they know jack about them so they look like fools and also its not all based on change i refused to play COD after World at War because i hate playing in the modern time as the only enemies your allowed are either the Russians (who would never invade the USA) or Terrorists or PMCs so i can see where the hate comes from.
Well to be fair other games like say Homefront do the same thing, except it and Crysis try to actually make North Korea a threatening international power which is so laughable it's hard to tell why they would do such a thing. I know that when those games started development North Korea was at the top headlines but c'mon? I know China and Russia are less hostile but they're still more threatening because their militaries can actually conquer their neighbors while with North Korea it isn't the case. And you can't make terrorists your enemies that invade the USA because they're unorganized groups that just want something other then complete destruction of America. They can't garner millions of soldiers and get them across the ocean with enough hardware to counter America's arsenal.

mechman123

Nov 6, 2006
I think some of the Hate stems more from a declined interest in several prominent themes that have pervaded many of the shooters for the past few years. Games like COD, Battlefield,MOH, and so on are primarily centered around Western (American and European) involvement in the Middle east OR revived Conflicts with Russia (Cold War all over again) and sometimes China (because they both have had communism i guess) In Modern day with Modern Weapons; This is of course when they are not making another game about WW2 (which really needs to stop, enough with the Nazis for a while).

As COD is one of the more commercially successful titles, people go after it simply because it is the easiest target. People love to hate on mainstream stuff. There is likely more to it but since I don't play those games I don't care about them. They aren't Bad, but they are not terribly creative as I explained above, IMHO. These games may be fun (and COD is alright gameplay wise), but they are not terribly creative in terms of setting or imagination (aesthetically).

~To each is own said the old lady when she kissed the cow.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Reusing the same gameplay can be fine as long as you add more to it to make it a bit different. Howver, my problem with Call of Duty is that it's boring. The level design is stale and uninteresting, everything is ugly and brown, the enemies are all the same (aesthetically and gameplay-wise), there's no flavor to the weapons (pistol, machine-gun, another machine-gun, a few more machine guns, a shotgun, some grenades and an RPG), and overall it just bored me.
However, the fanbase of the game is probably accentuating what I mentioned before. In my time giving the game the chance to impress me, I thought "Well maybe the multiplayer is better than the campaign"
I was greeted by the problems I mentioned before accompanied by wailing headset banshees with horrible tempers and swearing problems. Oh wait, it was the fanbase.
It would be biased to call every COD player this, but from my experience, this is what a lot are like.
Oh, and which Call of Duty was I playing? Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. If Modern Warfare is the best game in the series, I shudder to think of what the others are like.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Your Nightmare said:
Continuity said:
MacJack said:
when in reallity its one of the most sucessfull franchises thus a very good geame.
Whoa hold it right there buddy, if you're premising this tirade on that deduction then you fail from the start.

Just because something is popular does not make it in anyway good, it may be enjoyable but enjoyable and good are two different things. Take soap opera programs on tv, collectively they have more viewing hours than all movie and theatre combined, does that mean that soap opera is better than movies or theatre? No. It just means it's more popular.

What can I say, the people like junk.
I disagree. If something is popular, then it means it is good. What you failed to mention it the demographic of what said product is aimed at. Just because you don't fit the demographic, doesn't mean that other people out there don't.

Again, I disagree with your example. Why can't both of them be good?
Furthermore, what are you basing these statistics from? Did you consider that most soap operas are on the standard free television service, don't cost a large amount of money (£7 to go to the film plus expense of travel) Soap operas are easy to access, require no effort from the viewer and guess what - they're aimed at a target audience. And to this adience, the soap operas are great. This doesn't mean to say they don't enjoy a film at the cinema, which requires a lot more effort. Maybe the viewer has formed a para-social relationship with a cast member? Maybe it's the highlight of their day and can't wait to watch it (and wouldn't miss it to go to the cinema which they could go to any other time of the week. Soap operas are on all year round for most days in the week (Atleast here in the UK) so it's little wonder they get more viewers.

Have I made my point? You just have to think about other people and that we are all unique :)
You have made your point but you have also not really contradicted mine. CoD (and wow for that matter) just like soap operas is mainstream and features accessibility, it also targets a broad audience but, like soap opera It does so by catering to basic enjoyment mechanisms to the nth degree. To draw a cuisine analogy soap opera and CoD are like a bucket of chips, enjoyable, satisfying, and addictive but ultimately unsophisticated and devoid of artistic merit.

Theatre and film have the potential to be edifying and in their finest form can be savoured for their qualities like a meal prepared by a Michelin chef...

or, there is a bucket of chips.

I guess this boils down to the fact that I believe that objective quality exists where as you only seem to be recognising popularity. To employ Reductio ad absurdum, it follows from your logic that if sticking forks in our legs were popular then it would also be a good thing to do.

Pardon me for not wanting to stick forks in my legs. :)

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Sinoda said:
Another comment: Anyone that says they truly "hate" a game is an idiot. Sure, you can dislike it. It doesn't have to be your 'cup of tea'. You can not want to deal with annoying players, and say that a majority of them are pains in the ass. But saying you actually HATE it? Now that just seems silly.
That game killed my pa! I hate it I tell ya!

Right onto my real topic.

After reading all these posts all I can do is laugh and say I am sick of realistic shooters. It may be time we find a new insult though...

Go play DNF noob!

Does it work? I was aiming for the same feel but a new game.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
I don't hate COD, but I've stopped giving a shit about it. I've been playing since COD 2 and now the games have just gotten stale (Count 8 of them). I'm not going to spend 60 bucks this november on MW3, or any time after that. There are so many games coming out, and many of them deserve my money a lot more than MW3, for example: Arkham City, Skyrim, Hitman, Revelations, Rage... etc. I'm not expecting a new experience from MW3, which might be fine in some cases but the thing is, I've been not expecting it for the past 3 CODs.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Jegsimmons said:
you mean...like the post you just made criticizing his?
Great, and now YOUR post contributes nothing to the conversation EITHER! I HAVE TO BREAK THIS CYCLE OF NON-CONTRIBUTION!

pwnzerstick said:
I don't hate COD, but I've stopped giving a shit about it.
Have to say, you're joining a large group of my friends. I know almost nobody who is buying the next CoD game. Or any CoD game ever again. Horray!

Bobby Kotick, you're going to do to CoD what you did to Guitar Hero. Aren't you?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Atmos Duality said:
Meh, it's the next Halo.
Except Halo actually is fun and has good gameplay. And jetpacks.
and innovation, and a good community with a great company to back it up, and a actually damn good story that branches out into other mediums like books (excellent read by the way), and some funny in jokes.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
Kahunaburger said:
Atmos Duality said:
Meh, it's the next Halo.
Except Halo actually is fun and has good gameplay. And jetpacks.
and innovation, and a good community with a great company to back it up, and a actually damn good story that branches out into other mediums like books (excellent read by the way), and some funny in jokes.
Haha, seriously. I will never get all the Halo hate, TBH - it's actually a really good game, and is popular for a reason. FPS fans getting mad at halo makes about as much sense to me as fighter fans getting mad at Smash Bros.