This is Why Criticizing Anita Sarkheesian is Irrelevant and Pointless

Wyvern65

May 29, 2013
Vrex360 said:
Wow, what spectacular arseholes.
Seriously those responses are some of the most meanspirited and entitled misogynistic crap I have read in a long time and no there is no justifying that.
I agree completely those posts are /vile/ and in a perfect world no one would ever be subjected to them. I hope no one reading my own post thinks I was in any way supporting that level of vitriol. I went on to try and posit some of the reasons I believe people generally act like jerks on the internet. Reasons aren't excuses.

However about Anita . . . .

Did you note the part where the posts were self-selected and shorn of all context to create a very specific narrative? Because that's what she /does./

She posted to two of the top twitter feeds of the day. Tens of thousands of people were tweeting. You know what most of the gamers were talking about? Gaming-related things. DRM. How much the XBone sucks. Various dudebros being amped about the upcoming sports titles. People were happy and excited and very much focused on gaming.

Yes, posting a feminist plaint was inflammatory - not the content of it but in how it was /bound/ to draw a response - and yes I believe she knew precisely what kind of a response she'd get, because I respect her intellect.

You know what she didn't post on Feminist Frequency that you didn't read? The thousands of tweets supporting her. The tons of people who called those twitter folks out for their idiocy. All of the feminists and non-feminists alike that said, 'you know what, she had a point, and even if she didn't this is out of line.'

Instead she chose the most disgusting and bilious posts and gathered them all carefully together and then immediately sent out a tweet to her supporters saying "look what these gamers said about me."

What you don't know and will never know is what percent of the responses to her tweet were of the type she presents, and what percentage of the responses were more measured, defended her, called out her attackers, or were simply dismissive.

Just as we don't know what percentage of games use the DiD trope.

Context actually /does/ matter to me, perhaps it doesn't to you. Perhaps the mere fact that /any/ hateful things were said to her is sufficient to generate outrage.

I sincerely hope the fact that there are vile, hateful people in the world doesn't come as a surprise to you. It didn't to me.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
The-Traveling-Bard said:
1. Welcome to the fucking internet.
Thanks

2. First rule of the internet. Don't feed the fucking trolls.
She expressed an opinion on twitter, how is that feeding the trolls? My entire point was that nothing she said honestly struck me as incendiary or any more than anything anyone else has said about the Xbone.

3. Everyone will say anything online because they can without punishment.
I'm free right now to spout racist and misogynistic and homophobic stuff online but I still don't. 'Everyone' will say 'anything' is bullshit. Online or not there's still such a thing as basic decency and I will call people out when they fail to do that.
The internet gives people the power to say what they want free of consequences, but that's still not an excuse.
4. Taking anything, anyone on the internet for 100% truth is stupid
Again if someone can say stuff like that in such hateful ways I don't care if it's the internet or real world or anywhere else, they are still a fucking piece of shit.

I've already said I'm not going to talk about her views or her video and have no interest in debating those points because I don't want to waste hours of my life in online debates. I only wanted to point out that shitty things said of twitter typically come from shitty people and Ms. Sarkeesian can not be held accountable for that.

That said:

Seriously watch some of her youtubes videos some time. She turned a loving romantic song into something that's supposedly "sexist".
I've watched all of them. At the risk of sounding like a hipster 'I knew about Sarkeesian before it was cool' and while I don't agree with everything she said for the most part I found hr points agreeable and never once felt confronted by them. I certainly disagree with some of her more extreme points but then I usually disagree with every internet personality at least once.

But all the jokes about her being in the kitchen, kitchen video games, etc. Is pointed at her just to get her angry which she is buying into it all the time. She acts like these people are REALLY SEXIST when they are just insulting her out of angry. (Which we ALL do.)

If I said a sexist joke. Does that make me sexist? Nope.

In Anita's eyes it is.

Why?

She has no understanding of my favorite context! :D
Oh yeah angrily shouting that she deserves to get raped or, again, 'this ***** makes my dick soft'.
Truly a laugh riot.

EDIT:
I'm just waiting for her to say Game of Thrones is sexist. I am surprise she hasn't yet to be honest. But when she does. I am going after her blood. Because if she says ANY federal setting is sexist. I am just going to out right kill her for her stupidity.
Look I love Game of Thrones and I love the female characters in it, Arya is a badass little girl who is cute and awesome at the same time. Daeneryis has the boldness of a warrior, the mind of a queen and the gentle heart of a saint and Breanne of Tarth is awesome and kickass and its genuienly cool to see a non conventionally attractive female lead in a story.

I also admit the sexism in the story for the most part is a theme in the story and universe and is something commented on a lot and characters like Arya and Dany in particular are constantly fighting against it and becoming feminist icons in their own right.

HOWEVER I do sometimes feel that the level of nudity and objectification goes on a bit too much. FOr a while the nudity was limited just to sex scenes and in the brothel scenes but now female nudity is just about everywhere.
When I'm introduced to a new female lead my first thoughts should be, 'who is this? what's her story? what's her motivation? Is she a goodie or a baddie?'
It should NOT be 'well, how long till this one takes her clothes off?'

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Wyvern65 said:
Vrex360 said:
Wow, what spectacular arseholes.
Seriously those responses are some of the most meanspirited and entitled misogynistic crap I have read in a long time and no there is no justifying that.
I agree completely those posts are /vile/ and in a perfect world no one would ever be subjected to them. I hope no one reading my own post thinks I was in any way supporting that level of vitriol. I went on to try and posit some of the reasons I believe people generally act like jerks on the internet. Reasons aren't excuses.
Okay fair enough, don't worry. Like I said in my post I tried to avoid direct confrontation with any posters.

However about Anita . . . .
Not wishing to talk about all you said I would just like to say that while one can make an argument that she stripped the context and that these guys represent a vocal but still miniority portion of the gaming fanbase (I feel she could mention this wasn't a majority thing) to me it only really highlights that these guys are like Joffery Baratheon in that they aren't vicious they are also stupid and incredibly bad at forward thinking.
(Sorry if you don't watch/read Game of Thrones and don't get that reference though I suspect you probably get what I mean)

I mean it shows a bit of self awareness right? Like how doing this obviously just makes her point seem stronger and she can obviously use that against them and it'll obviously lead people to hating them. I mean just like with the original harrassment thing she had on her youtube description before comments even started that there was going to be immature hate and anger and it's a sad state of affairs that not only is it incredibly easy to predict gamer backlash to sexism discussion but that even when someone more or less openly admits that by having a sexism backlash they are helping give their argument ammunition they still do it anyway.
Sorry if this isn't as clear as it should be, I'm kind of tired at the moment and not thinking too clearly.

I guess my point is you can technically argue that Ms. Sarkeesian can be guilty of using the shittiness of shitty people from time to time but she herself cannot be blamed for the people being shitty, that they do themselves.

I sincerely hope the fact that there are vile, hateful people in the world doesn't come as a surprise to you. It didn't to me.
The existance of awful people isn't really shock but it does always sadden me how low they really will sink.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Debates are rarely for the purpose of changing the opposition's mind, but for the betterment of those watching/reading. Apart from that, you seem to imply that criticisms of Anita fail to address any of her actual points and instead focus on her delivery, which...isn't true. I really don't know what the reasoning is. Criticising her is as relevant and pointy as any argument over an issue.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
Vrex360" post="9.410252.17179970 said:
The-Traveling-Bard" post="9.410252.17179888 said:
Snippy
You're quite welcome.

Also I do agree with you she stated her opinion, but I also stated she is now the person the world hates even if she is right. It doesn't matter what Anita does she will be hated for it even if she was donating her life to save humanity.

My number 3 rule still stands. It also clearly true and visible every almost every site you go on.

But when she takes things out of context (When let's be honest. 90% of the time she does).
Or when she says something is sexist just because it doesn't fit HER idea of females that will mean she is (Or at least trying to) opposing her will on other people. (Which has done before in fact pretty much always does)

Oh this girl is weak and needs a man! SEXIST!
Oh this girl is strong and independent! OKAY!

Woman need man
and man need woman.

IT'S THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SINCE THE DAWN OF FREAKING TIME.

About jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKgwczruOSQ

Your point is completely invalid since this aired on national tv with a massive audience chairing this shit on.
Don't give me. "It was one a time thing." because a one time thing that millions of people agreed that it was funny, and he deserved it.

I believe in making fun of everyone for any reason because if you can not laugh at yourself. Why?

" very depressing when you can't make honest cultural commentary without having to disavow the assumption that your feelings are motivated by an irrational hate-trigger response to different levels of melanin. You know what? A society where anyone can make jokes about anyone else and everyone laughs is a truly tolerant society. Political correctness-charged censorship only serves to engender resentment and distance between social groups. "

Also just because you don't share the same sense of humor as someone else. That doesn't mean the other person is a sexist/racist/whatever. That also doesn't give you the right to take away their personal enjoyment.

I like dead baby jokes.
Are you offended?
Good.
Now you can do what they teach you in fucking pre-school although people have forgotten this as they grow up into adults.

Get up. Walk your ass some where else.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
While I do agree that Anita has a right to her complaints, and that she does have some valid points in her vidoes, she doesn't get a pass this time. She is mad because Microsoft didn't reveal any games with a female protagonist. This is silly because an E3 reveal doesn't cover everything and they are under no obligation to reveal games to meet some kind of "gender quota". It's silly to get mad at a company for not revealing something that they were never obligated to reveal or talk about. At this point she is just being silly.

Then the fact that she keeps taking the hateful and spiteful comments and highlighting them. It's like she's trying to show us how "tough" and "virtuous" she is for going up against the vile hoards of the internet. It's the simple idea of "You cannot reveal virtue by trying to reveal virtue." She calls attention to those attacking her so she can then say, "See, look at me, look at how I fend of these trolls! Aren't I so great?" Which is sad, because I think she does have something to offer to the discussion, it's just that she always goes about it in the wrong way.

EDIT - Also... Mirror's Edge 2. Female. She may be Asian but she is still Female. Stop being Racist Anita. Or you know wait til the very end before you send out snarky comments.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
ninjarafter said:
Wait, I'm confused. In the link she says "Thanks #XboxOne #E3 press conference for revealing to us exactly zero games featuring a female protagonist for the next generation"

But an article on the front page of the Escapist says "Mirror's Edge 2 was announced at the EA E3 2013 press conference moments ago"

So am I missing something here?
Well, let's just say that Little Miss Sarkastik Sunshine here isn't the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to crunch time, actual effort or applying anything that deserves the label 'scientific approach'. She has a track history of being rather lazy, jumping to conclusions and not really even trying to back thesis, theory and observations up properly. She just applies her chosen slice of feminist (misandrist, revolutionary, communist) lore to whatever happens to catch her attention for a little while, spouts her stuff, gets applause from similarly inclined minds, on with the show, yay.

Anything and everything that can be used to 'prove' her point will immediately be used. Anything that contradics it will, most probably, be either ignored or get dismissed with little or no explanation. It's how totalitarian systems tend to function. Just watch her space, the hardcore lulz are guaranteed to come, as they are inevitable.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Also I do agree with you she stated her opinion, but I also stated she is now the person the world hates even if she is right. It doesn't matter what Anita does she will be hated for it even if she was donating her life to save humanity.
Which doesn't validate anything. The fact that people are willing to hate and dispute her even if she is clearly right is THEIR problem, not HERS. They cannot claim she MADE them act like this.

My number 3 rule still stands. It also clearly true and visible every almost every site you go on.
Yes and my point still stands, you can be decent in online forums without being a dickhead. To demonstrate I apologize if I came across as too personal or offensive to you.

But when she takes things out of context (When let's be honest. 90% of the time she does).
Or when she says something is sexist just because it doesn't fit HER idea of females that will mean she is (Or at least trying to) opposing her will on other people. (Which has done before in fact pretty much always does)
To be fair though she bases a lot of her views on other works.

Woman need man
and man need woman.

Except presumably for the gay cavemen, yes?

About jokes.

Your point is completely invalid since this aired on national tv with a massive audience chairing this shit on.
Don't give me. "It was one a time thing." because a one time thing that millions of people agreed that it was funny, and he deserved it.
1. You won't hear me defending that either.
2. There was a big controversy over that as well.
3. The shitty behavior of a shitty show doesn't undo the shittiness of direct hateful insults being fired at people.

I believe in making fun of everyone for any reason because if you can not laugh at yourself. Why?

" very depressing when you can't make honest cultural commentary without having to disavow the assumption that your feelings are motivated by an irrational hate-trigger response to different levels of melanin. You know what? A society where anyone can make jokes about anyone else and everyone laughs is a truly tolerant society. Political correctness-charged censorship only serves to engender resentment and distance between social groups. "
'This ***** is making my dick soft' is not honest social commentary!

Also just because you don't share the same sense of humor as someone else. That doesn't mean the other person is a sexist/racist/whatever. That also doesn't give you the right to take away their personal enjoyment.
My point is that none of those tweets were jokes. They were direct hateful insults full of bigoted language and slurs designed to intimidate and bully a person into submission.
If these are jokes then the big bully who punches the smaller kids and takes their lunch money is Dylan Moran.

Now you can do what they teach you in fucking pre-school although people have forgotten this as they grow up into adults.

When I was in pre-school I was taught that bullies should be called out on their bullying. That is what Sarkeesian is doing, whether or not you agree with her or not don't mistake 'fuck you, you stupid **** I hope you get raped' as open mike night at the local comedy club.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Ahahahahahahaha. She's a joke, "these reactions show the male privilege in the gaming community". It's like she's a cartoon figure. A cartoon damsel in distress at that, she can't help but show how much she's a victim of the ebil internet. Come on white knights rescue the damsel!

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
Vrex360 said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Which doesn't validate anything. The fact that people are willing to hate and dispute her even if she is clearly right is THEIR problem, not HERS. They cannot claim she MADE them act like this.

Yes and my point still stands, you can be decent in online forums without being a dickhead. To demonstrate I apologize if I came across as too personal or offensive to you.

To be fair though she bases a lot of her views on other works.

Woman need man
and man need woman.

Except presumably for the gay cavemen, yes?

About jokes.

1. You won't hear me defending that either.
2. There was a big controversy over that as well.
3. The shitty behavior of a shitty show doesn't undo the shittiness of direct hateful insults being fired at people.

'This ***** is making my dick soft' is not honest social commentary!

My point is that none of those tweets were jokes. They were direct hateful insults full of bigoted language and slurs designed to intimidate and bully a person into submission.
If these are jokes then the big bully who punches the smaller kids and takes their lunch money is Dylan Moran.

When I was in pre-school I was taught that bullies should be called out on their bullying. That is what Sarkeesian is doing, whether or not you agree with her or not don't mistake 'fuck you, you stupid **** I hope you get raped' as open mike night at the local comedy club.
;-; If you would be so kindly as to message me how you do this so we can have a better discussion. It would be great! :D ( I hope you're not getting angry.)

Anywho back on topic.

She is at fault completely. Since other people have also clearly she is just feeding to trolls to feed her own agenda that makes her worse than fucking Hitler. Preying on the weak and stupid because they don't know any better? Lawl. How low can you go.

Do you notice her face on the CNN news when the Lady told her "have you ever heard of don't feed the trolls?"
Her face just went "OH SHIT. I AM CAUGHT" but people are too stupid to read into what really went behind on that news cast that day. That YES Anita is literally using the hate to feed her agenda.

She's just has bad as School Shooters.

Oh! Nobody is listening to me! I'm going to go shoot up a school so people will pay attention to me.
ME, ME, ME, ME, ME.

It's also a worse fact that her SELF A PERSON FIGHTING ABOUT SEXIST IS ACTUALLY MOTHERFUCKING SEXIST!
She clearly states in her video that the only reason why man go after their loved ones is to fulfill a masculine duty that has been wounded.

Despite.. you know. The person took away the person they loved, built a family with, and other crap.

NOPE MASCULINE DUTY!

Let's not talk about gays. :b We don't need another flame war do we? Hahaha.
Even gays need a women to pass on their genetic Legacy.

Sex isn't about love yo. It's about baby making.

Okay, well yes. It's not a honest social commentary but that also wasn't my point.
My point is people are going to make fun of you regardless of who you are.
Anita isn't a fucking victim because she is a girl. She a victim of her own demise and stupidity which I will never, ever find acceptable and righteous by no means. America in general LOVES to play the victim game and it's down right sickening and disgusting how people can buy into this bullshit.

Anywho onto the actual angry comments.

Yeah, but do you honestly truly believe those people are actually sexist?
Or do you think they're just angry that this idiotic girl is trying to oppress her will on other people?
Do you think that the hate their have for Anita comes from any male superior thinking.
HELL! Do you even think for a second they even took a neno second to think about what they just posted?

All girls belong in the kitchen.
^ took me about a second to right that. No thought, no feeling, no complex secret hidden agenda behind it. Nothing.
People will say what they want on the internet because they get punished for it.
People also say things without thinking.
People do a lot of stupid things.

Jokes/insults. Fine.
Threats? Yeah, i'll agree with you. That's going too far. I'm asshole. I'm not a total asshole.

Anita asked for this shit.
Anita KNEW and is playing us ALL to get her way. That's the bottom line.

The fact she is *clearly trolling with that twitter posts proves it* because there was a few games when the main character was female.

IN FACT THEY EVEN HAD A FEMALE PLAYING IN- GAME WITH OTHER MALES BEING ALL NICE BUDDY, BUDDY.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Vrex360 said:
While I'm not trying to defend some of those tweets, which were pretty scummy, not all of them were actually that bad or insulting. I don't think "Stop pushing your feminist agenda in video games" (8 on her list), "shut up" (11&12) "so what?" (20) or "Who cares?" (22) are direct, hateful insults. I think the inclusion of such tweets in her list "which exemplify the male privilege and male entitlement endemic in the gaming community today" is either padding, becuase there weren't enough actual offensive tweets for her victim complex, or that she's militant enough to not be able to differentiate between disagreement and hate speech.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
Megalodon said:
Vrex360 said:
While I'm not trying to defend some of those tweets, which were pretty scummy, not all of them were actually that bad or insulting. I don't think "Stop pushing your feminist agenda in video games" (8 on her list), "shut up" (11&12) "so what?" (20) or "Who cares?" (22) are direct, hateful insults. I think the inclusion of such tweets in her list "which exemplify the male privilege and male entitlement endemic in the gaming community today" is either padding, becuase there weren't enough actual offensive tweets for her victim complex, or that she's militant enough to not be able to differentiate between disagreement and hate speech.
I almost, ALMOST feel like jumping on twitter just to say that I think Anita should stop acting like a school shooter, and if she has a problem with me saying something like that. Come do a live interview with me.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
imahobbit4062 said:
I love her solely for the fact that she's sent so many people into uncontrollable nerd rage.

She's a master troll, and it's fucking hilarious.
This. Nerds are such a great community, they just want to fucking offended. You know, like the feminists they decry. It's this brilliant circle of trying to be offensive and then being offended.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Scummy reponses from scummy people (the twitter trolls), but it's pretty tiresome how she pretends its because she is a woman criticising games, rather than an issue people have with her specifically as an individual. She has a persecution complex of an almost astounding degree, or else she is just a very clever and manipulative person.

People go onto twitter and tell celebrities that they wish that their kids would get cancer and other nasty things, it doesn't "prove" anything at all. Except that anonymity causes people to act nastily, which most of us have known for years.

She is completely blinkered by sexism and is incapable of looking at anything beyond it.

Or to put it another way, if somebody such as Susan Arendt had said what Anita did, she would not have received these kinds of responses. If it was purely down to misogyny on behalf of gamers, then this kind of thing would happen to all who complain about it, not just a select few.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
The-Traveling-Bard said:
;-; If you would be so kindly as to message me how you do this so we can have a better discussion. It would be great! :D ( I hope you're not getting angry.)
It's okay, really. I should probably sign off soon anyway, I have study I should be doing.

She is at fault completely. Since other people have also clearly she is just feeding to trolls to feed her own agenda that makes her worse than fucking Hitler. Preying on the weak and stupid because they don't know any better? Lawl. How low can you go.
Can we leave Hitler out of this please? I hate Hitler, dude was a dick.
But again I don't see how she's feeding the trolls, considering people will take anything she says and find some way to make a controversy out of it (as you said) it seems unfair to hold up the idea of her feeding the trolls if she's at a point where she literally can't say or do anything without being trolled.

Do you notice her face on the CNN news when the Lady told her "have you ever heard of don't feed the trolls?"
Her face just went "OH SHIT. I AM CAUGHT" but people are too stupid to read into what really went behind on that news cast that day. That YES Anita is literally using the hate to feed her agenda.
Can't really comment on that, didn't see it.

She's just has bad as School Shooters.

Oh! Nobody is listening to me! I'm going to go shoot up a school so people will pay attention to me.
ME, ME, ME, ME, ME.
Except, you know, she hasn't killed anybody. So substantially different.

She clearly states in her video that the only reason why man go after their loved ones is to fulfill a masculine duty that has been wounded.
I didn't interpete it that way, I saw it more as her saying that what should have been a relationship comes across more like a maculine possession thing largely because the female characters are given so little screentime or presence that they barely register as much more than a plot device.
The difference between a damsel we barely know getting kidnapped or a characters wife/girlfriend dying at the start of the story and it actually having emotional weight is how it is portrayed. Like in Gears of War 2, Dom's wife is given virtually no character at all. We see her once, in a dream and we barely get any idea of what she's like, her relationship with him, her own personality her backstory or anything. We know she exists and Dom wants to get her back and... that's about it. She's not a character she's the idea of a character. Similar to Nicole in the first Dead Space, we know about her.
Because of their lack of characterization it is hard to gtake seriously this whole 'loved one' thing especially when usually the female lead dying is just set up for the male character to shout 'noooo' then go back to killing more baddies again.
Hell she mentioned Damsels that subvert the trope showing up in a later video and maybe she could bring up Cortana in Halo 4, as much as I've complained about that the central theme of Cortana slowly dying is handled really well. It's not just set up for Masterchief to get angry, we see how Cortana reacts to her encroaching finite existence as well and it actually gets pretty deep and even sad. Plus we already know Chief and Cortana's relationship because it had spent three games building up on it, she is a character in her own right. Not just a thing to be stolen or killed to start up a plot.

That, I think, was Sarkeesian's poi- wait a minute! I said no talking about her views. You tricked me!

Okay, well yes. It's not a honest social commentary but that also wasn't my point.
My point is people are going to make fun of you regardless of who you are.
Anita isn't a fucking victim because she is a girl.
Perhaps but surely you have to admit the very specific way people target her is because she's a girl, right?

quote]Yeah, but do you honestly truly believe those people are actually sexist?[/quote]
Yep. I'm sorry I just can't excuse some of the attitudes shown in those comments.

Or do you think they're just angry that this idiotic girl is trying to oppress her will on other people?
That's probably what they tell themselves but if they honestly think youtube videos are going to destroy gaming they are not only sexist but also hilariously paranoid.

Do you think that the hate their have for Anita comes from any male superior thinking.
No, just plain ol' idiotic sexism.

HELL! Do you even think for a second they even took a neno second to think about what they just posted?
Perhaps but they really should have because now they are being publicly vilified for that I do not feel sorry for them.

All girls belong in the kitchen.
^ took me about a second to right that. No thought, no feeling, no complex secret hidden agenda behind it. Nothing.
Perhaps but when you shout that down as a way to angrily refute someone talking about sexism suddenly it looks pretty bad.

People will say what they want on the internet because they get punished for it.
Part of the reason why I;m actually kind of glad she's highlighting these comments because at least now people will know they are reprehensible turd monsters.

People also say things without thinking.
Yep, but they should think before they type. I actually gave it serious thought before I posted for the first time on this thread for example and I was careful to mention I wasn't addressing anyone in this thread specifically.

People do a lot of stupid things.
No argument here. Just that 'stupid' and 'sexist' are not mutually exclusive.

IN FACT THEY EVEN HAD A FEMALE PLAYING IN- GAME WITH OTHER MALES BEING ALL NICE BUDDY, BUDDY.
Well that's good of them I guess. I admit I didn't see the Xbone e3 footage because looking at the Xbone keeps creating an image of the death of modern art in the name of a quick buck which depresses me but I will give them that if it's true.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Megalodon said:
Vrex360 said:
Yeah but shouting 'shut up' isn't exactly a brilliant response either. They aren't all direct insults, true, but none of them are particularly respectable.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
The_Scrivener said:
I didn't compare the two people. I compared two situations where the greater issue was of obviously greater importance than nitpicking the pointless details/minutia that people get caught up in.
Regardless, her latest Tweet just seems to seethe with inflammatory material as if she's trying to spark something. Why do we give this Twat attention anyways?

I don't particularly care for her and her horrible representation of feminism. Christ almighty, half the time she utters anything about sexism she makes herself look like the stereotypical feminist most misogynistic males paint them out to be.

It's just painful to watch.

And in response to Anita's idiotic tweet totally disregarding Mirror's Edge 2

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I guess she missed Mirrors edge 2 being unveiled then?
You can still criticism her. Unless your criticism is "there is no misogyny in the gaming community at all" this doesn't really invalidate anything. It just shows once again that people are horrible.

Legion said:
Scummy reponses from scummy people (the twitter trolls), but it's pretty tiresome how she pretends its because she is a woman criticising games, rather than an issue people have with her specifically as an individual. She has a persecution complex of an almost astounding degree, or else she is just a very clever and manipulative person.

People go onto twitter and tell celebrities that they wish that their kids would get cancer and other nasty things, it doesn't "prove" anything at all. Except that anonymity causes people to act nastily, which most of us have known for years.

She is completely blinkered by sexism and is incapable of looking at anything beyond it.

Or to put it another way, if somebody such as Susan Arendt had said what Anita did, she would not have received these kinds of responses. If it was purely down to misogyny on behalf of gamers, then this kind of thing would happen to all who complain about it, not just a select few.
While I agree too some extent a lot the comments she gets are misogynistic crap aimed at woman in general. Though of course sexism is everywhere not just in the gaming community and comments and twitter seem to attract the worst of people.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
Vrex360 said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
No, I don't think she is target in a certain way just because she's a female. Why? Because people are generally dickheads.

As for the plot device bullshit..

"I didn't interpete it that way, I saw it more as her saying that what should have been a relationship comes across more like a maculine possession thing largely because the female characters are given so little screentime or presence that they barely register as much more than a plot device."

I didn't read past this. Why?

IMAGINATION.
You seriously need everything spelled out for you to understand that people love each other?
Do you need a complex story to understand that two people love each other?
No. You fucking don't.

The idea of LOVE isn't good enough for you to go save someone? You really need a 6 hour back story?

Which is kinda funny because she uses Max Payne as an example that already have like 5 games that explained everything and why he does the shit that he does. So again .FAILURE ON ANITA!

This is almost like saying the opening stage of Skyrim is bad because they didn't detail why you got arrested. Therefor the game is... "ism" against criminals. Now the reason why I put a ISM in their is the symbol of that word.

Let's say Skyrim main character black. (You had no choice.)
Anita would most likely say the game is Racist because of some society ways people view black people as thugs, blah, fucking blah.

... What is she missing here?
1. Context.
2. Imagination.

Games are *not* in-depth-complicated-on-the-scale-of-game-of-thrones-books. Seriously can you imagine how much money, and time it will build a game that the plot size is exactly as big as the Game Of Throne series? Even the HBO series can't do it and that's why the killed off several characters within the tv show that they had continue plots within the books. Do you even realize HOW FUCKING BIG GAME OF THRONES REALLY IS?! It has got to be in at least the top 5 most complicated novels out there.

They are *not* meant to be story driven. (Well some of them aren't) That's why we call them GAMES, not books. Because it's about the GAME not the story. (Unless it's RPGS. Then yeah.)

I think Bioware writer stated how she was fed up about how story's gets treated in the video game industry and although I agree with her. I do wish video games did have more complicated stories in them, but look at the market right now.

60-80 millions dollars are being bumped into Triple A gaming and 50 million of it is spent advertising the damn thing.
The average game isn't meant to be about the story. They're just meant to be a "plot device" and when you argue something that's just there just to push the game along without any hidden underlying messages. You're quite fucking fool and a idiot. You're arguing about something THAT DOESN'T EVEN EXIST.

Again Anita has NO concept of context and from you stated has no imagination at ALL while she playing a game to think of a back story for herself and why she cares about this loved one.

And by your first paragraph alone also states she has no concept how to design a story.

Edit: Wow what is with me tonight and not snipping things correctly? Sheesh.