THQ Downgrades Warhammer 40K MMO

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
kingthrall said:
if warhammer games are not made in an rts style then it shouldn't be made at all. Sonicron you are wrong because I absolutely love single player and if they focused twice as hard on making a good single player rts for 40k, the multiplayer easily follows.

Warhammer is based upon armies and stratergy. Stop destroying a great science fiction brand by ruining the whole priniciples of what it was build for. Or at least call it mordheim or something.
The original Warhammer 40k game Rogue Trader was as much RPG as it was table top wargame you know. Having an RPG video game doesn't ruin any principles at all, in fact when you think about Rogue Trader and Inquisitor they are actually resurrecting the 40k RPG concept.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
80Maxwell08 said:
PingoBlack said:
So instead of WH40K based MMO they will do a WH40K based 3rdPS with chest high walls?

I do wonder, have they thought this through?
Where did you get that idea at all? They didn't mention any genres even once. They didn't even say the single player RPG part so I have no idea where the escapist got that especially with them not giving any sources. Also even Space Marine didn't use chest high walls so I really don't know where you got that idea.
You missed my point, it's not about mechanic of the game. It's about a massive amount of single player FPS games at the moment trying to capitalize on nostalgia. As you said yourself, we saw a WH40K single player game just recently, now we are getting another one.

I hope for your (and their) sake the new game is distinctive enough.

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
VonKlaw said:
Still pretty exited about this, aslong as it keeps some of the MMO-ish features (e.g. I don't want to have to play as a spehss mahreen)
Agreed, as long as i have my XV8 Battlesuit, i will be happy. Then again, I'm good at being a nob in real life, so maybe ork's will hold some attraction for me...

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I hope one day game developers will realize throwing large amounts of money at something isn't what will make it successful, making it unique and fun will do that as many Indie devs can attest to.

Kiardras

Feb 16, 2011
As long as its not a space marine wankfest, I'm a hell of a lot more interested in this game now. Shame about the layoffs, though.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I didn't really like where this was going as a MMO to begin with. a 40K MMO should have been about rogue traders and hive gangers not space marines. space marines should be the NPC allys/enemies.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I am okay with this move, though I would really like a futuristic MMO that doesn't have Star in the title. On the upside I won't have to slosh through hundreds of hunt and fetch quests ad nasium for days.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Not really liked Vigil's previous undertakings, but this seems interesting. A bit depressing that 118 people were fired though. That really sucks.

I swear though, if THQ touch Relic's budget, or cut their development time for DoW3, I will actually become completely unstable.

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Steel Legion forever.

Metalix Knightmare said:
I'm so effing sick of the Smurfs.
Fucking smurfs.
While these two sentences I'm absolutely in favor of, I'm actually disappointed that it won't be an MMO. I was really looking forward to a 40k MMO done by Joe MAD. He is the one man who could make 'epic' into 'unspeakably epic'.

nonroker

Aug 13, 2009
Another generic single player game that will feel lackluster and empty because it was originally designed to be filled with players. I'm looking at you Kingdoms of Amarula or whatever.

Spark Ignition

Sep 29, 2010
It really sucks that so many people got laid off. As someone currently striving against the odds to find a job I highly sympathise, and wish them the best of luck finding something else.

That said, from a purely consumer point of view I'm actually more excited about this. MMOs have never been my thing, and it's very tempting to think that if the game is released as a single player experience then the writing and storytelling will almost certainly be a lot better and more involving, without the crutch of 'oh it's an mmo, it's not about that' that previous incarnations of this idea may or may not have leaned on....

Findlebob

Mar 24, 2011
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Findlebob said:
Wow i never thought a developer would click on they couldnt competitive with wow.
Can't compete with WoW? That's odd, because I'm pretty sure The Old Republic was the most successful launch in MMO history and continues to hold the record for highest amount of paying subscribers after release. I could also list the dozen or so MMOs that make bank, but I think you get the idea.
And how many wow killers have went bust.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Fuck yes! Not everyone wants MMORPGs - there's many things to be said for games that are about the game, not about stringing things out as long as possible to get the most out of subscriptions or "convenience" microtransactions!

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Well there goes being anything other then a Space Marine. I mean it's not like a 40k MMO was going to let me play Tyranid or Necron anyways, but I'd least want to roll Ork. I wouldn't have been happy with a MMO anyways unless every faction was alone. They ruined WAR by focusing all the factions into chaos/order. It would have been a more popular game if all 6 factions warring amongst themselves.

Tay051173096

Jun 10, 2011
PingoBlack said:
80Maxwell08 said:
PingoBlack said:
So instead of WH40K based MMO they will do a WH40K based 3rdPS with chest high walls?

I do wonder, have they thought this through?
Where did you get that idea at all? They didn't mention any genres even once. They didn't even say the single player RPG part so I have no idea where the escapist got that especially with them not giving any sources. Also even Space Marine didn't use chest high walls so I really don't know where you got that idea.
You missed my point, it's not about mechanic of the game. It's about a massive amount of single player FPS games at the moment trying to capitalize on nostalgia. As you said yourself, we saw a WH40K single player game just recently, now we are getting another one.

I hope for your (and their) sake the new game is distinctive enough.
If you are a spacemarine you don't need a wall, only eldar need walls...

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Call me the pessimist, but I am not reading this as an "upgrade". I am reading this as "we realize if we released against WoW and SWTOR we would tank, badly. We can't cancel it outright as we have spent way too much investor money to get here (although we did think through every conceivable way to pull that off without getting sued) so instead we will release it as a half assed single player retread that it was never built to be. Sure it will probably tank, but not as badly. It will recoup some of the money and noone will be able to sue us since we did deliver a releasable product, just not what we said we would or spent all of the money on."

Yeah, this is going to go well... NOT.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Tay051173096 said:
If you are a spacemarine you don't need a wall, only eldar need walls...
If you're a space marine you are the wall for lesser mortals to cower behind.

Unless you're in terminator armour, in which case you're a wall wearing another, larger wall capable of kill things by throwing walls at them.