THQ Downgrades Warhammer 40K MMO

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
As long as the game doesn't end up as some bastard child of single and multiplayer *cough* Brink *cough*, I'd personally say the refocus is good news. I really cant be arsed with MMO's anymore and a single player RPG set in the 40k universe is something I can look forward to

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Well this just sucks. Really. I was actually looking forward to the MMO, well provided it was basicly like Planetside just in 40K. I mean massive Battles with Necrons, Tau and so forth going at each other? Hell yeah.

Still a RPG seems a good Idea too, well if they do it right they can easily spin a MMO out of this later on, which is what Amalur is apparently trying, at least according to one of their head-honchos. I just hope it wont be Space Marines, for one, the Smurfs suck and should die, i do not understand the apparent fetish GW has for them, they have literally triumphed against all odds that would spell doom for literally everyone simply because GW wont let them lose. That and we already have Space Marine which basicly focuses on them, so another, even a RPG isnt really needed. Now Rogue Trader, Dark Heresy or hell even Necromunda, that'd be nice ideas. Hope i can play a Sister of Battle, or really anything that isnt a walking tank of testosterone....Callidus Assassins..now there's an idea. 40K Thief/Splinter Cell RPG.

But yeah its probably rather likely that it will focus on Humans, so we will probably play from one of the multitude of Imperium factions, but time will tell. Still hope they make a proper MMO out of that franchise sometime down the line.

Well now i just have to hope that World of Darkness doesnt face the same fate, else im out of MMOs to actually look forward to :/

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Warhammer simply doesnt have a big enough fanbase to support a mmo.

P.S. capcha: berlin wall
oh no you didnt.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
While its a shame that so many people lost their jobs for something like this, I kinda look forward to a 40k RPG. It's probably gonna deal with SPESS MEHRENES again, but if its Black Templar... that might be interesting. I'm still hoping we get a choice of who to be. Even if it's all Imperial. A Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Black Crusade would probably be better than just more on the Space Marines, but hopefully the game's still good.

I think it is a good idea to recognize that it's probably not the best idea to compete with now unless you can pull off something huge.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
J Tyran said:
kingthrall said:
if warhammer games are not made in an rts style then it shouldn't be made at all. Sonicron you are wrong because I absolutely love single player and if they focused twice as hard on making a good single player rts for 40k, the multiplayer easily follows.

Warhammer is based upon armies and stratergy. Stop destroying a great science fiction brand by ruining the whole priniciples of what it was build for. Or at least call it mordheim or something.
The original Warhammer 40k game Rogue Trader was as much RPG as it was table top wargame you know. Having an RPG video game doesn't ruin any principles at all, in fact when you think about Rogue Trader and Inquisitor they are actually resurrecting the 40k RPG concept.
Like I said, Morheim or Rogue Trader would be a better than because lets not kid ourselves here they will have every player as some kind of moronic hero with ancient artefacts and special armour worn by all the galactic hero's from all the fluff as the description in 40k. That is not rogue trader, you had normal units and a few very select strong types and it was still both rts and rpg.

My favorite Pc game Myth II is built on these exact principles of having a small select group of units and you build their experience up for stronger armies utilising every aspect.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
kingthrall said:
J Tyran said:
kingthrall said:
if warhammer games are not made in an rts style then it shouldn't be made at all. Sonicron you are wrong because I absolutely love single player and if they focused twice as hard on making a good single player rts for 40k, the multiplayer easily follows.

Warhammer is based upon armies and stratergy. Stop destroying a great science fiction brand by ruining the whole priniciples of what it was build for. Or at least call it mordheim or something.
The original Warhammer 40k game Rogue Trader was as much RPG as it was table top wargame you know. Having an RPG video game doesn't ruin any principles at all, in fact when you think about Rogue Trader and Inquisitor they are actually resurrecting the 40k RPG concept.
Like I said, Morheim or Rogue Trader would be a better than because lets not kid ourselves here they will have every player as some kind of moronic hero with ancient artefacts and special armour worn by all the galactic hero's from all the fluff as the description in 40k. That is not rogue trader, you had normal units and a few very select strong types and it was still both rts and rpg.

My favorite Pc game Myth II is built on these exact principles of having a small select group of units and you build their experience up for stronger armies utilising every aspect.
That game already exists, its called Dawn of War II. Done right a single player RPG could be excellent, I see no reason to condemn the concept out of hand because its not an RTS.

Social Pariah

Nov 23, 2007
Oh no... I'm devastated... or should I say that I'm actually interested in the game now.
Long live the minimally single player RPG.

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Well, thats good.

I'm glad they realized that getting into the MMO market just isnt worth the investment.

Keith Reedy

Jan 10, 2011
I feel kinda bad for bein excited about this but hopefully the guys that got laid off will get new jobs. I really don't like mmos and kinda feel like they are were a franchise goes to die. But, again I'm heavily biased against mmos. Really pissed that most likely there will never be a proper single player old republic game in the future that I like. But eh I heard that kingdoms of amalur started as an mmorpg so if it can turn out to be like that but warhammer style I'd love it. It would need to be about like a rogue trader and an inquisitor, to roleplay though, or one of the other races since they've done so little with them in the past its mostly wide open. If its somethin like that i'd buy it well if its for 360 at least. Im not a pc gamer but anyway, oh or a chaos character

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

Keith Reedy

Jan 10, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
Good for THQ. As sad as losses are, an MMO would have bankrupted the entire company.
Sonicron said:
Still psyched for the game, but now that it's a single-player RPG I'm disappointed that it's most likely going to center around the Space Marines again, as they don't really lend themselves to greatly diverse roleplaying. A game like this needs an Inquisitor in the driver's seat.

I feel bad for the folks who got laid off... even though the entire industry seems to be willing to offer them jobs, it must be a tremendous kick in the balls to pour
your creative soul into a project for 4+ years and then be told, "Sorry, most of your work was ultimately for nothing and won't make the cut for the final product as envisioned five minutes ago."
You couldn't do a game on the Inquisition as it's far too varied and far too large. As much as it sounds nice on paper, it'd just be LA Noire with torture and guilty until proven innocent, which makes things a lot less interesting.
Actually since inquisitors act more or less on their own it would be easily done, or you could work for an inquisitor as this would offer alot more class options. The Dark Heresy tabletop rpg is already this

Keith Reedy

Jan 10, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
kingthrall said:
J Tyran said:
kingthrall said:

What about Necromunda or even Gorkamorka? They would certainly work, even as an online RPG.
Yes gorkamorka that would be friken sweet WAAAAAAGGGGHHH!

Aug 1, 2010
[image/]http://funcorner.eu/wp-content/uploads/noooooooooooooooooo.jpeg[/IMG]

This makes me extremely sad...

Though on the VERY bright side, THQ has always been an awesome company, so I am quite excited to see what they do with this.

Also, will people stop screaming about how it shouldn't be about Space Marines/Ultrmarines?
Space Marines make a logical semi-good protagonist for any 40k story. Other than Imperial Guard, the other races take to much work to justify to new players.

I love Chaos as much as the next cultist, but it's hard to sell a game with a main character that has the desire to butcher millions with no other motives.
*awaits 10 people pointing out games*

Keith Reedy

Jan 10, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
Keith Reedy said:
The Cool Kid said:
Good for THQ. As sad as losses are, an MMO would have bankrupted the entire company.
Sonicron said:
Still psyched for the game, but now that it's a single-player RPG I'm disappointed that it's most likely going to center around the Space Marines again, as they don't really lend themselves to greatly diverse roleplaying. A game like this needs an Inquisitor in the driver's seat.

I feel bad for the folks who got laid off... even though the entire industry seems to be willing to offer them jobs, it must be a tremendous kick in the balls to pour
your creative soul into a project for 4+ years and then be told, "Sorry, most of your work was ultimately for nothing and won't make the cut for the final product as envisioned five minutes ago."
You couldn't do a game on the Inquisition as it's far too varied and far too large. As much as it sounds nice on paper, it'd just be LA Noire with torture and guilty until proven innocent, which makes things a lot less interesting.
Actually since inquisitors act more or less on their own it would be easily done, or you could work for an inquisitor as this would offer alot more class options. The Dark Heresy tabletop rpg is already this
Translating in-your-head games to PC is almost impossible. The variety still isn't technically available to allow the game to work.
WHat do you mean the variety isn't available? you could be a gaurdsman tech priest whatever and have a group of planets in a cluster to investigate as teh inquisistor instructs and do it however you want, you could root out a genestealer infestation on one planet and a chaos cult on the next what the big deal? Or are you just boring? Actually dnd in your head games have been successfully brought to the pc many times. Lots of pc games are exactly that.

Keith Reedy

Jan 10, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
Keith Reedy said:
The Cool Kid said:
Keith Reedy said:
The Cool Kid said:
Sonicron said:

Translating in-your-head games to PC is almost impossible. The variety still isn't technically available to allow the game to work.
WHat do you mean the variety isn't available? you could be a gaurdsman tech priest whatever and have a group of planets in a cluster to investigate as teh inquisistor instructs and do it however you want, you could root out a genestealer infestation on one planet and a chaos cult on the next what the big deal? Or are you just boring? Actually dnd in your head games have been successfully brought to the pc many times. Lots of pc games are exactly that.
That's nice & ambiguous; now try to translate that to an actual game that has to run via software.
The big deal should be obvious if you have played/read about games like LA Noire or Heavy Rain. The former became boring for a lot of people, the latter had different routes but one ending. What you are talking about would either be a bland experience of procedural missions, or a ghastly time consuming product to hand sculpt entire worlds, cultures and so on.
Lots of PC games are no way near D&D; they are very, very limiting.

It could be done, but it would have to be a massive world and honestly far too time consuming for both the player and developer to make it work until some better engine comes along.
What makes you think it has to be so massive it could consist of some areas on various planets and has completely zero need to be like LA Noire or Heavy rain I was thinking more along the lines of mass effect or kingdoms of amalur but more shooting heretics. There is no point asking most people if they can translate it to software since we are not programmers.
Never winter nights kotor both successful both based off dnd. But yes far more limited then pin and paper. Please stop trying to lecture me on something that most likely neither one of us knows much about. Once again what do you mean more variety? More races? More areas? I'm in the dark on that one. No game can have as much variety as a tabletop rpg.