THQ Joins the Used Game Fight

Firebane

Aug 17, 2005
Oh shit, I guess I best avoid buying a used car, and used Vinyls. If this tactic of serial keys were to work it'd have to be in either A) A steam form, which I wouldn't mind as I never sell games anyway or B) A 1 use CD key, which would mean anyone suffering a hard drive crash would lose all their games with no chance of recovering them. If they went for the second approach that would be stupid, besides, if there was a ban made of trade ins at game stores then people would just lend out the games they're not trading in, damaging the store and the company.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
It sure didn't take long for EA's "experiment" to morph into "the way things are."
It looks like this is the future, kids. I suggest you get used to it.
The revolutionary, how-come-no-one-has-thought-of-it-before, SOLUTION to the used game problem...

Make your game so that you want to play it again and again and again and again - and never get around to selling it on.

e.g.

1. Create a world which can be explored in a multitude of different ways and along a diverse number of paths. Provide "freedom of choice".

2. Ensure the player feels empowered so they soon forget that they are merely manipulating a gamepad's control scheme. Avoid "disability".

3. The rules that consistently govern the behaviour of the 'props' not only need to be carefully balanced, but everything should "interrelate".

4. Populate the world with context-dependent artificial life, which acts as well as reacts with itself and yourself, yielding "emergent behaviour".

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
joystickjunki3 said:
And just like that, I will not support THQ anymore.
Just because they are watching their own butts? This is a classic KneeJerk reaction. Think about this...If you buy it used for $50, and then pay another $5 for the online code, you still get it cheaper than if you were to buy it new. So, as long as you pay less than $55 for the game used, which anyone remotely intelligent will, and then buy the Online Pass; you still get a good deal.

Seriously, they are just trying to generate revenue, is that so wrong? No money equals no games, plain and simple. You want the cool games, then throw the publishers a frikkin bone here, ok?

AnarchistAbe

The Original RageQuit Rebel
Sep 10, 2009
Uncompetative said:
...Make your game so that you want to play it again and again and again and again - and never get around to selling it on....
Go ahead and program that, and I will buy your game. Go ahead...we're waiting....

No matter how fun your game is, people will sell it. Some people are into the Play and forget philosophy. They dont want a "relationship" with a game, they just want a one-night sex-fueled extravaganza with their games. Metaphors aside, people will sell games no matter how good you make them.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
redmarine said:
The question still remains, will Blizzard eventually join the flock?
Blizzard is not really a major publisher. Big name in developement - yes, but they make about 1 game ever 4-5 years. WoW doesnt need anything like this, SC2 multiplayer is already tied to your battle.net account which uses serial number and so will be Diablos 3. You cant input same CD KEY into two different battle.net accounts.

Anyway, i dont mind. It doesnt change anything for me. For all you people saying you wont support the publishers anymore tho, have fun as soon you will not have many games to play <.<

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
JeanLuc761 said:
However, one thing I tend to notice is that many people buy used because "it's cheaper." Maybe if developers would lower the prices of their games a bit quicker, buying new would feel like a better idea.
If people knew that games wouldn't take very long to get to a reduced price, they'd no doubt sell fewer copies at full price as players would know to just wait a little to get their copy at a reduced price. This would hurt the game makers in the long run, and realistically makes 0 business sense.

osric90

Sep 14, 2009
I don't have the £40+ that it is going to cost me to buy games that I want, so I usually buy a copy of the game that is cheaper a few months later. This is usually a second hand game, why should I then be charged more money that I don't have. This is all utter rubbish.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
What is it with the games industry? Waah, piracy! waaahhh! used games sales!

They're even whinier than the players.

Perhaps they'd sell more if they sold games for a reasonable price? Or made good games?

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
AnarchistAbe said:
joystickjunki3 said:
And just like that, I will not support THQ anymore.
Just because they are watching their own butts? This is a classic KneeJerk reaction. Think about this...If you buy it used for $50, and then pay another $5 for the online code, you still get it cheaper than if you were to buy it new. So, as long as you pay less than $55 for the game used, which anyone remotely intelligent will, and then buy the Online Pass; you still get a good deal.

Seriously, they are just trying to generate revenue, is that so wrong? No money equals no games, plain and simple. You want the cool games, then throw the publishers a frikkin bone here, ok?
Oh yes it is really a deal to have game companies rip out stuff to make trading games pointless so that new game prices can stay exactly where they are. If so many people are buying used it means that the new game prices need to come down, not that people need to stop buying used, or deal with five dollar dlc codes. It is nonsense especially when you think about what happens if the codes are set to expire after a certain period of time.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
dfphetteplace said:
Instead of punishing those that buy used, why don't they reward those that buy new?
^ this
I cant even say anything more. This says it all

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Space Jawa said:
JeanLuc761 said:
However, one thing I tend to notice is that many people buy used because "it's cheaper." Maybe if developers would lower the prices of their games a bit quicker, buying new would feel like a better idea.
If people knew that games wouldn't take very long to get to a reduced price, they'd no doubt sell fewer copies at full price as players would know to just wait a little to get their copy at a reduced price. This would hurt the game makers in the long run, and realistically makes 0 business sense.
Hmmm, good point. Didn't think of it that way.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Bretty said:
Good
Goood
Gooooood

About time. Console gamers have had it easy. Now it is time to see it from the side of a PC gamer.
Very correct. The days of pop the disc in and enjoy the game are long over for both parties.

Unless you play Nintendo. Which is fine by me.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
tisk tisk tisk, dammit thq, you were doing so well with giving us cookies like you did with darksiders, why stoop to this shit

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Darkness62 said:
Riobux said:
First THQ feels the need to make you sign up for an account if you want to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call Of Pripyat online, and now this...

Thanks for contributing to the death of gaming culture, along with EA and Activision. I'm sure Rockstar Games will be joining you in time.
lol THQ didn't publish S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat, BitComposer did. THQ hasn't published a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game since Shadow of Chernobyl.
You learn something new.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Great. No more new games for me. Guess I'll go back to the last gen when this shit didn't happen. Ps2, Gamecube, those were the days...

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Well, hopefully if people begin to thing that second hand games will require more money to get fully functional used game prices will drop - ideally even on ones which don't have any such scheme, heh. Complete rip-off as it is :/

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I've never understood the people here that suddenly cry "I'll never buy anything from you again!"

It's ridiculous. THQ aren't going to miss you, you're an significant drop in their ocean, the only thing you'll accomplish is to restrict your choices when buying games, and if you tend to buy used anyway, then they really aren't going to be put out that you aren't 'supporting' them.

Whether people like it or not (I personally do), this is the way things are turning. It makes sense for the developers/publishers to want more of a cut of the market than the middle-man. People need to stop whining about it.

Edit: *Prepares flameshield*

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
SniperWolf427 said:
Andy Chalk said:
It looks like this is the future, kids. I suggest you get used to it.
*Ba-dum pish*

In all seriousness, I have no problem with this new solution. The developers need to make money and this is an understandable way to do it. It's much preferable to intrusive DRM, the apparent solution to piracy.

And the 3 - 4 dollars you save buying used is never worth it anyways.
If they want/need money, they should start making good games...

And you can't compare second-hand buys to piracy, it's one thing to protect one own's games, but spoiling it for others?

Oh and what is when i don't want to play online, does THQ give me my 5 bucks back or do i get the game cheaper?..

I don't want to know what they create next... offline playing where i pay for the hour? ...

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
GLo Jones said:
I've never understood the people here that suddenly cry "I'll never buy anything from you again!"

It's ridiculous. THQ aren't going to miss you, you're an significant drop in their ocean, and if you tend to buy used anyway, then they really aren't going to be put out that you aren't 'supporting' them.

Whether people like it or not (I personally do), this is the way things are turning. It makes sense for the developers/publishers to want more of a cut of the market than the middle-man. People need to stop whining about it.
So people should just accept being screwed because these people can't figure out how to actually compete in a market. Yes that makes so much sense. Instead of lowering the prices on new games they resort to scamming people. I wonder what will happen with code systems that have the serial keys expire over time. What happens to the person who waits for the price to fall before they purchase? They bought the game new but they still have to pay yet again to get what they should already have.