TIE TIE FAW

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
Perhaps because people are still playing it, and they're too drawn in to the big sprawling world of the game to say much about it. Or they're trying to get the cars to drive right. Just touching the accelerate button sends the cars rocketing off and the handle like ass.
Yes, of course, people are too busy playing the game to defend it.
They are also too buys to defend Infestation: Survivor Stories when someone decides to bash on it.
Or Ride to Hell: Retribution.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Honestly I burned out on Titanfall in 1 hour after I got my beta key, must be some kind of record.

The freerunning was sort of ok, but it felt inferior to Warframe, which I'd played a lot of. Key word: felt. It was too floaty, no weight to the moves, it didn't feel fluid, it ran out too soon, or was too limited, the enviroments supported it badly(wallruns and wall jumping works so much better when you can chain them, which requires less open enviroments), and it didn't work nearly as good in first person as in third.

The gunplay is bland, the titans were fun the first 10 or times or so.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Klagermeister said:
I assume all the people who call it that have never actually played it.

It's weird; the only people I've sen who smack-talk Titanfall have never actually played the game, whereas every single person I know who actually owns it and plays it loves the hell out of it.
If there's any "downfall" to this industry, it's people who pass judgment on something they've never experienced, or parrot the negativity they hear without even giving it a shot.
Pretty much this. And holy crap - does this forum love being smug about it.

I didn't enjoy the game either, but I know some folks who absolutely love it, yet don't like CoD. As far as I know, the whole "CoD + robots" is kinda bullshit.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
SKBPinkie said:
I didn't enjoy the game either, but I know some folks who absolutely love it, yet don't like CoD. As far as I know, the whole "CoD + robots" is kinda bullshit.
Mirror's Edge multiplayer with CoD gunplay, and robots.

Except the enviroments are less suited to parkour, and it's less supported, but you get a super-limited jetpack to kinda sorta make up the difference.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
shintakie10 said:
So much for the next big thing.
History shows again and again how nature puts right the folly of men that the "next big thing" almost certainly won't be.

Hell, if I had a nickel for every WoW killer or CoD killer on the market, I would have enough to fund my own studio and still enough to build a giant robot. Maybe not a good robot, but still a robot.
This sums it up nicely, and appeals to my musical sensibilities. Thank you. To expand on your premise: Overestimation is the heart of development in both art and science (see: The Jetsons).

Achelexus

May 31, 2014
Barbas said:
Achelexus said:
I was expecting WGDF and the shitstorm between white-knights and trolls :|
Are you saying that you joined the site just to see that?

I thought it was bad enough that people who had been here for years were eagerly anticipating the prospect of another firestorm...usually the same people who complain about the forums descending into arguments and the death of civilized conversation, and usually not twenty-four hours later.

Something is very wrong here.
I just want drama, bro, I don't even play video games.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Achelexus said:
Barbas said:
Achelexus said:
I was expecting WGDF and the shitstorm between white-knights and trolls :|
Are you saying that you joined the site just to see that?

I thought it was bad enough that people who had been here for years were eagerly anticipating the prospect of another firestorm...usually the same people who complain about the forums descending into arguments and the death of civilized conversation, and usually not twenty-four hours later.

Something is very wrong here.
I just want drama, bro, I don't even play video games.
You know, despite how disheartening that is to hear and the fact that saying it will likely get you a warning from the mods, I really wish more people were that honest.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
Metalrocks said:
never see this game as cod with giant robots. in cod you cant double jump, wall run and dual wield guns and call in support like the very annoying helli. besides your titan, there is nothing else.
Pretty sure you can dual wield guns in CoD.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I don't own it, but I played it a little on PC. It reminded me of classic Quake more than anything else, only you don't really need to aim. I haven't played C.O.D. multi-player since C.O.D.2 came out, but from what I've seen most of the modern games are slow, much slower than Titanfall. But then again I like Battlefield so what do I know.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shirkbot said:
This sums it up nicely, and appeals to my musical sensibilities. Thank you. To expand on your premise: Overestimation is the heart of development in both art and science (see: The Jetsons).
In fairness, it may not entirely be overestimation. I do wonder if they feel the need to say these things to appease investors. A good chunk of me doesn't want to believe that the entire industry is really that delusional.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Once again, one of the most insightful and spot on strips of the series.

Job well done.

Congrats.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
wAriot said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
This is the industry as it is today. We heard about nothing but Watch_Dogs for six months leading up to the launch. The game has been out for merely a week, and nobody is really talking about it anymore.
That's what happen with "reviewer-chosen" GOTYs. Almost no one talks about Infinite or Gone Home anymore, even if supposedly they were "the Citizen Kane" of video games, and won a trillion awards.
That's not quite an apt comparison in this case, though. Gone home and Infinite were both single-player, finite experiences that had only a limited amount of content, so obviously discussion would wane with time. To use your movie example, Citizen Kane is an excellent film by most accounts, but very little new discussion is left to be had on it.

Titanfall, on the other hand, is an exclusively multiplayer experience that can continue to be relevant for as long as players are filling the servers and the creators want to continue developing content. that it's fallen off the radar so quickly (faster than either Infinite or gone home, for that matter) is a bigger deal.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
major_chaos said:
Critical Miss? Meh, just CTR+ALT+DEL with hamsters.
That's Fancy Rats, not hamsters, an important distinction, I'm sure you'll agree.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Its kind of funny; but the Titans actually tend to get in the way of the really fun and interesting infantry parkour combat. Titans absolutely ruined CTF until they made it so they can't carry flags.

And DotA2 isn't a League copy - League is a copy of DotA1, and DotA2 is just DotA1's sequel.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
major_chaos said:
Yea the funny thing is its really not true. Try to play TitanFall like its CoD and you are going to get minced.
A lot of people seem to disagree. I have to wonder if the whole "it's nothing like COD" is little more than people taking umbrage because it's "cool to hate" COD.

The Wooster said:
You may now continue defending EA.
If you're going to say stuff like that, you need a microphone to drop.

BX3 said:
The weird thing is some of those are sort've correct.

Which is not to say there's something inherently wrong with that. Originality's little more than taking a thing and putting another thing on top of it to make it different.
Originality's overrated. It seems like nobody's out to say "let's make the best (x) we can" anymore, it's more "what shiny but pointless thing can we slap on to increase sales and what buzzword can we slap on it?" Originality is a nice element, but did anyone actually complain that Avatar: The Last Airbender was thoroughly predictable?

balladbird said:
Gone home and Infinite were both single-player, finite experiences that had only a limited amount of content, so obviously discussion would wane with time.
People are still discussing Final Fantasy VII and Majora's Mask. Hell, people are still discussing Limbo's story, despite there being virtually none.

I think a "masterpiece" of a game, a "Citizen Kane" if you will, should be able to generate discussion for more than a year. You use the actual Citizen Kane as a contrast, talking about how discussion has died down. And it has. But Citizen Kane fostered discussion for longer than video games have been a major medium, and it did so without the internet. Hell, the Star Wars movies still had a rampant fanbase discussing the original movies when there wasn't much else to discuss. And those are big-budget B-movies.

Movies are also a "finite" experience, one that's far more linear. Could it be that these games simply weren't all that amazing? I think so. Maybe Bioshock Indefinite was a good shooter, but was it really a masterpiece? Don't people want to revist, rediscuss, reinterpret masterpieces?

If the story mode of games are treated as "one and done," can we truly have masterpieces, Citizen Kanes, etc?

Banana Hammer

Mar 17, 2012
I'm sorry, but while reading the comic, the only thing that came to mind was someone from Brooklyn saying "Card games on Giant Robots."