Titanfall On PC Will Require Origin

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
Yep, another bunch of lost sales here. My game group won't buy anything riddled with Origin.

Your loss, Respawn.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Weaver said:
Saulkar said:
Weaver said:
Origin is okay now-a-days. I still find steam more useable, but since EA changed their EULA to not steal every file from my hard drive if they wanted I haven't had that many issues with it.
I am still wary as my work PC is also my gaming PC and my boss prefers that I not risk it, something I am personally OK with as E.A. has done little to build any trust for me. I have also tried sandboxing both Steam and Origin and the latter always gives me errors about trying to access folders that have nothing to do with it that I gave it no permission to access while the former swims pretty.

In summary: Origin throws a tantrum when I sandbox it.
That's interesting! I might give it a try over the weekend. I'm quite curious as to what it's accessing.
Mainly random OS folders it had no business in on my renderfarm nodes.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
Meh, was never really too interested in this. Not muchly into shooters. The only way I would ever have gotten it would have been on a Steam Sale.
Not that I'm really fundamentally against Origin or anything, but I won't install it for something I'm only half interested in to begin with.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
You know it's funny news when people who really hate origin really didn't see this coming, it's not that hard to put two and two together.

Even with people complaining that origin sucks, Steam rules all, I really just can't wait until there's a universal service where I can buy all and any games digitally without having to use any shit stupid service that attaches itself to my games, basically just my games and nothing more, no DRm, no Steam.

That's what I want, and no fuck off if you're going to suggest the likes of GoG,GMG,Amazon etc, just clear the fuck out.
Sounds to me that what you want is a console. :p
More specifically, a console from 2 generations ago.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
J Tyran said:
That was expected really, the Origin hate is getting old though. It was never ever spyware, they have better customer service than Steam and a better refund policy. The prices are fine compared to anywhere else you buy a game, they have plenty of sales as well.

It lacks the community features of Steam but at the end of the day its only a slight nuisance having more than one DD platform the same way Uplay is, Origin and Uplay are also competition for Steam which can only be a good thing.
I'd say that is true about the Store only in some regions. Origin is still a terrible place to buy new releases in Australia. It is cheaper to import hard copies from the UK (same region? I guess because we still mostly use UK spellings) even cheaper if you buy a activation code with no hard copy. Old games do come up more often in sales, sometimes at reasonable prices.

Still, I was there at the launch of Steam and Origin has at least always worked from day one. I find Uplay much more annoying, mostly because it stacks on top of Steam and I can't launch controller based games from Big Picture without keeping a keyboard handy. Also I hate Ubi more than EA because they are 95% dickeads.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Really? EA's new IP that they are hyping the shit out of and obviously wanting to be the next big FPS is going to be exclusive to Origin?

What a twist!

Honestly, I doubt half the people saying: "I would have bought it but this is a deal breaker" actually even had any intention of getting the game. I see this selling way more on xbone since, as people have mentioned, there's better options already available on PC.

Anyway, I never had any intention in getting this game. However, if an Origin exclusive game ever comes along that I really want, I wouldn't have any qualms about getting it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Anyway, I never had any intention in getting this game. However, if an Origin exclusive game ever comes along that I really want, I wouldn't have any qualms about getting it.
I'd made that realisation not too long ago myself, I've never let consoles in the past deter me from getting what I want, I'm certainly not going to let a free online service stop me from getting that game, I'm still sold on getting it but for those that claim it's their loss didn't sound interested to begin with and let themselves become deterred from what they want.

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
Origin-exclusive is just an unimaginative Sales gimmick. I go to Steam because it's painless to browse titles. Likewise Gog. EA is who now? The company that used to be known for putting out fun non-sports games in the 1980's?

I really don't want to maintain a bunch of different logins for different games.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
octafish said:
J Tyran said:
That was expected really, the Origin hate is getting old though. It was never ever spyware, they have better customer service than Steam and a better refund policy. The prices are fine compared to anywhere else you buy a game, they have plenty of sales as well.

It lacks the community features of Steam but at the end of the day its only a slight nuisance having more than one DD platform the same way Uplay is, Origin and Uplay are also competition for Steam which can only be a good thing.
I'd say that is true about the Store only in some regions. Origin is still a terrible place to buy new releases in Australia. It is cheaper to import hard copies from the UK (same region? I guess because we still mostly use UK spellings) even cheaper if you buy a activation code with no hard copy. Old games do come up more often in sales, sometimes at reasonable prices.

Still, I was there at the launch of Steam and Origin has at least always worked from day one. I find Uplay much more annoying, mostly because it stacks on top of Steam and I can't launch controller based games from Big Picture without keeping a keyboard handy. Also I hate Ubi more than EA because they are 95% dickeads.
True Origin doesn't demand you run it and Steam at the same time the way Uplay does, I suppose I can understand disliking a publisher and Origin in some respects because it was the same for Ubisoft with me for years. The always online DRM and the way they seemed to consider every PC gamer a pirate led me to not buy a Ubisoft game for years, It was only Blood Dragon and then Ass Creed 4 that broke that.

Australians get the shaft wherever they get their games but I guess by what you are saying Origin must be even worse for them, that must rub salt in the wounds and cause a negative attitude. Here in the UK its often cheaper to buy a hard copy of a PC game from somewhere like Amazon than either Steam or Origin, £5 off the £30-35 price is fairly common. I guess thats down to Amazons bullying tactics and tax shenanigans though.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
After hearing all the hype about the game I figured I might try get it on PC a little while after it comes out if it doesn't get awful reviews. I forgot about Origin though, I won't be getting it now that I remember Origin exists and will be required for it.

I just don't trust EA enough to want their software on my computer or to make a games library with them. The last EA game I bought was Kingdoms of Amular and so far im not regretting any of the games I have missed out on, the only one I might regret is Dragon age: Inquisition but im still waiting for the Escapist post describing how much they ****ed that up.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Origin isn't as distracting now as it was before, i would prefer to get the game on Steam however but hey ho.
My main problem with it being on Origin is EA's pricing, it's OUR game only on OUR service, £45!

Screw that, it's a multiplayer focused shooter and the most expensive game i've seen in awhile.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Really? Did you not see this coming? If its by EA and its going to be on pc origin is happening. Get used to it.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Syzygy23 said:
I don't know about you, but Origin is a no-go simply because I do not want to give EA any money ever again. After they blatantly lied about SimCity I refuse to support such scumbag business tactics. "The game wasn't designed to suppor tsingle player, it's impossible." Modder proves the game can support singleplayer literally two days later.

Jesus Christ.
What does this have to do with an EA-published game? Shouldn't you already be boycotting it?
The best way to boycott a company is to vote with your wallet, and that's exactly what I'm doing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Syzygy23 said:
The best way to boycott a company is to vote with your wallet, and that's exactly what I'm doing.
No, the best way is to make your displeasure known. Its not "voting with your wallet" that as effected changes in EA, after all. "Voting with your wallet" is why Origin exclusives still exist. Continue to vote with your wallet and we will continue to see Freemium elements on 60 dollar titles, on-disc "DLC," Origin, and so on. And EA will cry all the way to the bank.

The point, however, was that it's an EA published game, so it should have been a non-starter and the fact that it was on Origin should be completely moot.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
It's a shame but oh well. They're the only ones who will miss out on anything. There are plenty of superior shooters already available for PC anyway. All of which are much cheaper than anything EA will release.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
First thought: Can't really say I'm surprised by all this.

Second thought: Lord help me if I ever wish a customer "Bon Voyage" in that manner.

Third thought: Given the Sim City and Battlefield 4 debacle from last year, and the Dungeon Keeper controversy that going on right now, I don't think that EA can be trusted to deliver a polished product on launch. I really hope that people whom really want to play this game will hold off for at least two weeks before they hand over their hard earned money to EA, no matter what platform. Given their record from last year and their strangle level of apathy that I'm getting from them now, I don't think that the game will be playable for the first to weeks anyways.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Titanfall apparently not having any Aus/NZ servers already sealed the deal for me.

Who the fuck ignores an entire continent, besides MMO developers?