Titanfall On PC Will Require Origin

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
another one lost here, but then i wasnt overly exited for it anyway. for me its not that i hate origin , actually never used it, its a little bit that i dont trust EA enough to allow them to install something on my PC and a lot to do with simply not wanting to propergate the situation where every damn publisher in the world decides they need their own version of steam running on my pc.

May 29, 2011
I really don't like origin, and I really don't like how EA games aren't on steam primarily because they want to charge me 30 euros for the DLC of a 4 year old game. EA understands the concept of a GOT release but they're greedy bastards.

At one point I could have gotten Mass Effect 2 cheaper on Origin then a SINGLE ONE of it's 5 dlc. It's money grabbing garbage and I despise it, a sentence that's been perfect to describe EA for half a decade now.

But having Origin on my computer doesn't directly feed EA money, and I don't see why I should punish myself for them being assholes.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Oh look, more people horrified that Origin exists... despite it being about on par with Steam.

Never would have guessed.
My thoughts exactly. Really, Origin is cleaning up and this is not really off putting. I can see potential in it as well.

I just have to say that I still want it. I refuse to get it on Xbox because I know my PC will give me a better experience regardless. Seriously, I will happily use and tout the PC experience (even with the so called bullshit people call Origin) then bend over backwards and cough up $500 for a shit console. And just for ONE GAME!

Shadow-Phoenix said:
You know it's funny news when people who really hate origin really didn't see this coming, it's not that hard to put two and two together.

Even with people complaining that origin sucks, Steam rules all, I really just can't wait until there's a universal service where I can buy all and any games digitally without having to use any shit stupid service that attaches itself to my games, basically just my games and nothing more, no DRm, no Steam.

That's what I want, and no fuck off if you're going to suggest the likes of GoG,GMG,Amazon etc, just clear the fuck out.
Um...hell yeah. Until then I think that the best options are to release on as many possible clients, OR none at all and just sell it so it downloads and installs directly on the OS and comes with its own online client program. I remember those days...just pop in the CD and run the install...

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Lightknight said:
No. EA is in competition with Steam. It's not rocket science. This is akin to asking why Sony doesn't develop games for Microsoft consoles even though Microsoft would love to have their games. Origin and Steam are essentially the software-based console equivalents on the PC.
If that is the case how come I can still buy older versions of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Crysis, Need for Speed, Battlefield, or any Sims 3 expansion even the newer ones after Origin was released on Steam?

If they were really pulling everything off the competitors service I believe they would even remove the older games and not just when new DLC was released and new titles. If Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 didn't just disappear when new DLC was released and any of the Sims 3 expansions being available on Steam even the 2013 releases I could see what you suggest more of a possibility.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
AuronFtw said:
And you don't think Steams complete lack of any return policy on games isn't just one big gigantic fuck you to customers? Even EA has a return policy yet Valve can only be bothered to allow people to cancel preorders (I'm still curious if it was impossible to cancel a preorder before that announcement) or get a refund if there's such a gigantic outcry that they absolutely have to give refunds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Amazon can give full refunds for any reason, includin literally tellin them I didn't enjoy the games endin (ME3 obviously) and they even tossed me a five dollar credit to my next game purchase then Steam can at the very least give refunds for shit that doesn't work.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I knew this the moment I saw it was an EA game. Really how can anyone be surprised?

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
shintakie10 said:
AuronFtw said:
And you don't think Steams complete lack of any return policy on games isn't just one big gigantic fuck you to customers? Even EA has a return policy yet Valve can only be bothered to allow people to cancel preorders (I'm still curious if it was impossible to cancel a preorder before that announcement) or get a refund if there's such a gigantic outcry that they absolutely have to give refunds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Amazon can give full refunds for any reason, includin literally tellin them I didn't enjoy the games endin (ME3 obviously) and they even tossed me a five dollar credit to my next game purchase then Steam can at the very least give refunds for shit that doesn't work.
I have run into an issue with Valve with buying a game that they charged my credit card for, but it never registered in their system, so even sending them a copy of my credit card bill they refused to even give me the game I paid for. Thankfully it was a Steam Sale so it wasn't a lot of money, but I still remember that when I go to buy a game off their site.

Fyffer

Sep 10, 2013
Ah well. I hadn't been following it that much so I didn't know EA had its claws in this one.

For me its not an issue that its on Origin, just that its ONLY on Origin. I rather value being able to run games with the steam overlay to easily talk to my friends while in the game. While I'm sure someone has found a way to do that with Origin games, I don't feel like fighting with every new one I get.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Definitely not getting it then.

I already have Steam, and I'm not having more than one shitty DRM platform on my computer.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I've had Origin for a couple years now.

My computer has not exploded. It has not become sentient. I have not had games sold to me I didn't want to buy. I have not has the NSA come knocking on my door for things I've said or done on my computer through Origin. I have not had any crashes or errors. It doesn't make games run worse than on Steam. It doesn't even have as many pop-ups as Steam.

Shit, guys, Valve has some pretty scummy business practises too.

So does Johnson and Johnson. And Ford. And McDonald's. And Viacom. And every other fucking business on the planet.

Edit to add: Will you all pitch a fit when the next Half Life (ha!) Or Portal game requires Steam? Or should I just say "next game developed by Valve"?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Sanunes said:
Lightknight said:
No. EA is in competition with Steam. It's not rocket science. This is akin to asking why Sony doesn't develop games for Microsoft consoles even though Microsoft would love to have their games. Origin and Steam are essentially the software-based console equivalents on the PC.
If that is the case how come I can still buy older versions of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Crysis, Need for Speed, Battlefield, or any Sims 3 expansion even the newer ones after Origin was released on Steam?

If they were really pulling everything off the competitors service I believe they would even remove the older games and not just when new DLC was released and new titles. If Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 didn't just disappear when new DLC was released and any of the Sims 3 expansions being available on Steam even the 2013 releases I could see what you suggest more of a possibility.
They were there before Origin became a thing. I imagine that once a product is sold on steam, there is some sort of ongoing contract for its continued presence considering that steam, like origin, is a persistant game library rather than just a store. I assume you know that Origin didn't get its initial release until June 2011. Both Dragon Age II and Crysis 2 were released a few months before then in march and april. Additionally, you wouldn't want to necessarily tether big titles to the client installer before the service is more established or you could potentially kill hundreds of thousands of first party sales. Now that origin is more established they can afford to do that. Or they think they can, I haven't purchased one game through them. The Mass Effect 3 ending was bad? I couldn't tell you despite having loved 1 and 2 on pc.

Futhermore, if you are selling DLC to consumers for games that were already sold on other platforms, why would you constrict them to a platform that didn't exist when the majority of users would have purchased them (the majority of purchases of a title are within the first few months)?

They're a business. They're in it to make money. I don't begrudge them for that and I accept their tethering their games to Origin to make origin more competitive with Steam as a legitimate business decision. What I don't do is trust Origin any further than I can throw them. I'm not going to trust this company with a history of terrible decisions and anti-consumerisms to take care of my game licenses. Talk about letting the wolf guard the sheep.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Trying not to be absolutist about it; EA has made some noises that they're trying to change their corporate culture, and I could imagine changes to both the service and the company providing it that would allow me to sufficiently trust both that I wouldn't feel used and mistreated for installing Origin, and that the quality of titles it would allow me to access would be worth it. (Sufficiently long and hard to parse run-on sentence?)

But we're not there yet, and Titanfall isn't the game to bring me there.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
A game does not have to be on Steam for me to play it on PC, that being said a game DOES have to be on something other than Origin for me to play it...

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Well, the bigger problem for me is that buying Titanfall on the PC will require buying another PC game from the same guys who made MW2 for the PC. No way i'm stupid enough to do that again.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Eh, knocks it down a few notches for me anyway. I don't generally have anything against EA but Origin has never been good to me, even Uplay hasn't been as bad. Can't really say I was that excited about it to begin with though.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I knew when I saw EA as publisher, I had no more interest in this game. Choose your publisher better next time Respawn, better hope they don't milk you or hammer your IP into the ground like they do with DICE..

EA lost all trust with me after fucking up the Dead Space series with Dead Space 3 and Command and Conquer with that piece of shit they call C&C4.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
*shrugs*
Should anyone honestly be that surprised?
EA launched Origin specifically to get away from Steam.

I wouldn't have a problem with it...if I didn't have serious problems with the company that owned it.
(Just passed 6 years into my EA Boycott now. I still have no reason to stop it, and have no regrets from missing their games.)