Total Recall Remake Trailer Remembers Things Differently

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Total Recall Remake Trailer Remembers Things Differently

Columbia hopes the new Total Recall trailer will get asses into theater seats.

The way I see it, the new Total Recall film is just a few steps from greatness. All it needs now is Michael Ironside, Ronny Cox, Arnold Schwarzenegger, a mutant hooker with three boobs and some good old fashioned special effects, and it will be nothing short of super-awesome!

What's that? There's none of that stuff is in this movie? It's all CGI? No Sharon Stone? No Benny? No Richter? In what bizarre universe is a Total Recall movie without Richter even remotely conceivable? Not that I'm one to rush to judgment, of course, and I'm certainly not going to call it a CGI-laden crapfest just because it's laden with generic-looking CGI and... well, best not to go too far down that road.

In all seriousness, I have no idea if this film will be any good or not and so much has changed - they don't even go to Mars! - that comparisons are almost irrelevant. They're also inevitable, but as much fun as it is to go off half-cocked on the internet, we should wait until we have more than this to go on before we really start flinging them around. Total Recall [http://www.welcometorecall.com/] - the new one, not the good one - is slated to hit screens in August of this year. See you at the party, Richter!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I don't know why but the look and feel to it remind of Deux Ex: HR. Either way the trailer does make it look good but I'm only sold if it get good reviews.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Really?

I thought the original was a mediocre action flick, and that the new trailer shows promise. I doubt it's going to be great (why the hell do we need to keep remaking existing films, anyway?) but I think Andy either has a distorted view of the original or just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Looks like it might be a decent futuristic generic action movie. But it's no Total Recall remake.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Seems like they're taking more information from Philip K. Dicks' work then the 80s version did...it's probably only called Total Recall because 'Overdrawn at the Memory Bank' is less dramatic.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Oh for fucks sakes, what is with remakes and making things gritty? I'll stick with the Arnie film.

ED-Tw0 ZeRo N9nE

Jan 12, 2012
They're remaking Minority Report already??? Damn Hollywood, way to really drive home the fact you've definately run out of ideas.

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
Metal Brother said:
Really?

I thought the original was a mediocre action flick, and that the new trailer shows promise. I doubt it's going to be great (why the hell do we need to keep remaking existing films, anyway?) but I think Andy either has a distorted view of the original or just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
because it a viable source of money execs know how much a movie made and also know they wont have to invest heavily in a "new" story so if a mediocre or crap movie i.e. transformers (first 1 that came to mind) it gets remade even tho there is no reason to do a remake/reboot

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So:

Basicially Cerberus is hunting Colin Farrel (to give the Reapers some Irish charm?) and by some kind of trans dimensional doohickey they've all ended up in Minority Report a few years after Captain Anderton turned the world to shit by disproving pre-crime's reliability.

Begs the question, when is Commander Shepard going to jump in with Seth Green in tow to rescue and recruit old Colin? That is a movie I'd pay to see...

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Can we stop calling this a "Total Recall remake"? It's not. It's another movie based on Dick's original. Whether that's "better" or "worse" than being a remake is up for debate. Personally, I would've liked them to go to Mars...

It's like, when the Cohen brothers' True Grit came out, that was not a remake, that was just another movie based on the same source material as the John Wayne version.

ETA:
nikki191 said:
actually an honest question for everyone. when do you guys think the dark and gritty bubble will burst for tv and movies?
Hopefully never. *loves me some dark and gritty*

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I'm saving up all my reboot criticism for the new Robocop, though I'm sure Total Recall will try really hard to ruin my day.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
I don't know why but the look and feel to it remind of Deux Ex: HR. Either way the trailer does make it look good but I'm only sold if it get good reviews.
What I saw reminded me more of a new Syndicate game, it was bad! Also, I'm not seeing from the trailer how one could call this movie a remake! It looks just as far from the original Total Recall as the latter was from the original Philip K. Dicks' story.