Trailers: Warhammer 40k: Space Marine: Combat System

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
Looks good, but will I just be mashing my attack button and occasionally going to my gun?

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
Hobo Steve said:
Okay now I am really curious about the battle system. Is it one dude, the 4 dudes we were told originally and it swaps for missions or do you just swap between them since it appears they are all hanging around at once.

Anyway, they need to work on a few things. Don't get me wrong. I love Dynasty Warriors but the Orks just standing around like DW basic troopers just aint good enough. Have them doing something, not all just crowding around with their fingers up their asses waiting to get slaughtered.
And the Plasma gun shooting the Bloodletter and it just bouncing off the walkway. Wtf? Plasma gun shoulda melted it.
They really need to work on a few things before it ships.
I think the DW style is just them testing the system. Wouldnt do well to put in a new system and then get wtfpwned as you figure out what to do.

Then again to a space marine it might as well be them standing with a thumb up their ass. :D

And you have to keep in mind this might not be Gold gameplay footage. Could still be beta.

@4 guys: some of the shots show the other space marines with the main character. Possible swap or choose this guy and follow him a la DW.

Liquid Paradox

Jul 19, 2009
Namewithheld said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Exploding Bolter rounds! They finally got it right!
And the bolter looked semi-automatic too!

Seriously, it pisses me off so much when bolters are shown being automatic. ONLY HEAVY BOLTERS DO THAT, GOD!
Bolt pistols and bolters are both only Semi-automatic, but can fire bursts of two. The heavy bolter, on the other hand, is fully automatic, though it doesn't fire at the rate of, say, a heavy machine gun irl.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
So... it's Dynasty Warriors: 40k?

Sorry, just not interested. Unless you're playing as a Space Marine Chapter Master (someone like Marneus Calgar or Commander Dante) this game concept just does not work. A Space Marine is a mighty warrior, sure, but single marines don't cleave through entire armies single-handedly. Look at those early fight scenes with the orks, they're just standing around kung-fu-movie-mook style while he cuts them down, only a few trying to attack him at once. If this was REAL Warhammer 40k they would have dogpiled all over him and torn him apart in seconds.

The essence of 40k is that it is savage, brutal and meaningless; ANYONE can die and they do so in droves. Having a single space marine cleave through entire armies of orks and chaos marines (who are supposed to be roughly the equals of the space marines) devalues their entire races as opponents. This is why 40k is great for strategy games like Dawn of War where units on both sides die in droves, but is just implausible for games where you control a single character and are expected to conquer and survive, like this and Fire Warrior (of course, Fire Warrior had the additional problem of just being plain rubbish).

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Got a lot on pre-order already. Although this certainly looks interesting, I'm still on the fence about ordering in advance. Will wait and see a few more previews - or, even better, a demo.

ShadowFighter15

Jul 11, 2009
Samnite said:
Looks good - combat seems to flow pretty well. Although I've a horrible feeling they'll make you chose a close combat weapon and a gun at the start of a mission and no be able to change them for ages...
I doubt it - one of the things they mentioned in the video was that they wanted the player to be able to seemlessly swap between melee and ranged.

Or do you mean the specific weapons the Marine's carrying? Like choosing a bolter at the start of the mission and not being able to swap it out for a plasma gun or meltagun for a while?

ShadowFighter15

Jul 11, 2009
teebeeohh said:
oh and please let me recolor my armor and pretend i am a marine of a much cooler chapter.
They've got those as pre-order bonuses, Gamestop gets you chapter skins of the Space Wolves and Black Templars, Steam gets you Blood Ravens and BestBuy gets you Iron Warriors and Emperor's Children (yep, Traitor Legions).

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
ShadowFighter15 said:
teebeeohh said:
oh and please let me recolor my armor and pretend i am a marine of a much cooler chapter.
They've got those as pre-order bonuses, Gamestop gets you chapter skins of the Space Wolves and Black Templars, Steam gets you Blood Ravens and BestBuy gets you Iron Warriors and Emperor's Children (yep, Traitor Legions).
this kinda sucks
since i don't have best buy around here i probably will, for the first time ever, buy something at game stop. Just for a blueish grey.

Alavar91

The guy who rarely posts.
Aug 5, 2009
The game certainly looks pretty and I think it'll probably do well when it ships. Although I am sad that they haven't demonstrated any of the 'RPG' elements they were originally talking about.

Another quibble is that, as stated before by Canadish, that the Chaos Marines don't seem to be all that powerful, and if Chaos Marines are one thing other than bat-shit bonkers then it is powerful. They seem to have made the Chaos Marines not even slightly up to the standard of the Ultrasmurfs which is, in my opinion just turning this game into a generic experience where you can cut through entire hordes with ease and then only moderately tougher 'boss' battles.

Either way though, it still looks shiney enough to warrant the possibility of a purchase from me, lets hope what I said before is disproven when it is released, and now that I have seen what the combat is like, and it is good and visceral just like it is in the 40K lore, it might just be starting to turn things around already for me. :)

One thing missing though..... TYRANIDS!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
ragestreet said:
Screw the smurfs! Imperial Guard or nothing! Seriously how fun would it be to play a baneblade tank captain?
or indeed, as Commissar Ciaphas Cain.

teebeeohh said:
ShadowFighter15 said:
teebeeohh said:
this kinda sucks
since i don't have best buy around here i probably will, for the first time ever, buy something at game stop. Just for a blueish grey.
Blood Ravens?! By Horus, why? Nobody likes them!

JayDig

Jun 28, 2008
I hope it's not literally all mob-murdering,.. but this vid was about the combat system.
I'm sure there are exploration bits, story bits, some ubiquitous RPG elements and at least three turret-on-moving-vehicle segments.

Also, I vote for 4 player co-op (and not just some lame survival mode)

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Arcane Azmadi said:
A Space Marine is a mighty warrior, sure, but single marines don't cleave through entire armies single-handedly.
Only because they're hilariously nerfed for tabletop. In real 40k all those orks would rush him at once (probably fighting each other to 'ave a go first) and then he would kill all of them.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
GloatingSwine said:
Arcane Azmadi said:
A Space Marine is a mighty warrior, sure, but single marines don't cleave through entire armies single-handedly.
Only because they're hilariously nerfed for tabletop. In real 40k all those orks would rush him at once (probably fighting each other to 'ave a go first) and then he would kill all of them.
Yes, I believe they released rules for the movie/lore marines once. You got like 5 for the cost of an army.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
ragestreet said:
Screw the smurfs! Imperial Guard or nothing! Seriously how fun would it be to play a baneblade tank captain?
or indeed, as Commissar Ciaphas Cain.

teebeeohh said:
ShadowFighter15 said:
teebeeohh said:
this kinda sucks
Blood Ravens?! By Horus, why? Nobody likes them!
No Imperial Fist, but traitor legions??

NyteRaven

Nov 12, 2009
teebeeohh said:
ShadowFighter15 said:
teebeeohh said:
this kinda sucks
according to the thq website, its only for MP that you can use the reskins, and he got the listings wrong, at least for here in the UK, might be different in other countries, here, I'll post a link. :p http://www.thq.com/uk/gamenews/show/15273/5386/ just read that news feature :)