Trailers: Warhammer 40k: Space Marine: Combat System

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Been able to switch between shooting and Melee whenever i want? Awesome!

I will be picking this up easily, Just hope the Multiplayer survives :L

Btw...i nerdgasmed at this!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Alavar91 said:
The game certainly looks pretty and I think it'll probably do well when it ships. Although I am sad that they haven't demonstrated any of the 'RPG' elements they were originally talking about.
This was a trailer about combat, wait for other for the RPG section :p

Alavar91

The guy who rarely posts.
Aug 5, 2009
arc1991 said:
Alavar91 said:
The game certainly looks pretty and I think it'll probably do well when it ships. Although I am sad that they haven't demonstrated any of the 'RPG' elements they were originally talking about.
This was a trailer about combat, wait for other for the RPG section :p
Damn it....I got hit with a logic-bomb D:

truckman1

Jul 28, 2010
Tklebis said:
Just to make sure of something...Did anyone notice the fact that the video was ''approved for ALL audiences'' lol? And I'm adimit that I don't know pretty much everything about the series, but shouldn't the game value strategy or stealth sometimes? But maybe I'm just wrong...
?Subtlety
?Warhammer 40k

Pick one.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
This looks great but I would love some like DLC were we get to play a couple missions as a dreadnaught oh the fun.
probably already pointed out but a dreadnaought is were you are permanently cyberneticly linked to it making it impossible to leave the dreadnaught.

OT:lascannon was wAAAAAAAAAAy too small it is exsposed to have a back mounted power supply and the gun itself 2.5 times bigger also the orks they are bloodthirsty warneeding creatures who are if lacking finesse are natural swordsmen not to mention the gretchins would not fight unless forced by a runthered. also orks are in gigantic warbands even small ones number at least 200, and you yourself would have already fallen by the number of them. and chaos? they are basically you but transformed by the warp making actually a bit stonger. the plasma gun about 1.5/2 times bigger and it would over heat and explode if not carful. oh and if those blood thirsters appered you better move away from the damn planet because if even 1 daemon is there and not expeled along with everything else that means the planet bascially is BONED.(yes that is the way you say deamon in W40K)and also space marines rely on either there battle brothers or on sound tactical stealth and planning to fight if only a single man, also in order to even get a thunder hammer you have to be very high ranking.oh and also a fu**ing stomp attack? WTF a space marine is strong but not god he cant cause a strong enough stomp that would make a shock wave not even a dreadnaought can.

sorry if this turned into a rant

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Not sure about it.. First, Ork blood isn't red. This matters to me because the fluff matters to me. Ork blood is a blackish green. So, there's one complaint.

I also don't like the enormous stamp which gibs nearby Orks. I suppose it's fine if a dreadnought does it- with its fist- but in this case, with the power-armour clad space marine, it just looks really crap.

Meh. Might get it if and when it goes in the Steam bargain bin.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
teebeeohh said:
ok relic, you have me confused
one the one hand it looks like you finally understand how a bolter works(semi-auto, almost no recoil and whatever gets hit EXPLODES) on the other hand that thing was NOT a lascannon, lasconnons are so heavy space marines need to have them integrated into their armor to use effectively, and the energy cell is good for one shot only.
oh and please let me recolor my armor and pretend i am a marine of a much cooler chapter.
sorry dont know how to double quote
1st there is recoil in a bolter if you were to shoot it you would die from the recoil
2nd a lascannon would never be used if only ONE shot per power pack(correct me if i am wrong on what you said)but can be fired multiple times if just not as accurately and overheating would be a problem.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Exploding Bolter rounds! They finally got it right!
YES!!!!!

I wasn't particularly interested, then THE BULLETS EXPLODED LIKE THEY SHOULD :D :D these guys get it ^_^ Plus back when it was first announced I remember it not being confirmed on PC and now it most certainly is, so double yay ^_^

That said, it could still turn out to be just a pretty gory hack n slash, and the story could go either way. Given how well it looks like they've got the IP right on the weapons, I'm cautiously optimistic :]

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Timedraven 117 said:
teebeeohh said:
one the one hand it looks like you finally understand how a bolter works(semi-auto, almost no recoil and whatever gets hit EXPLODES) on the other hand that thing was NOT a lascannon, lasconnons are so heavy space marines need to have them integrated into their armor to use effectively, and the energy cell is good for one shot only.
oh and please let me recolor my armor and pretend i am a marine of a much cooler chapter.
1st there is recoil if you were to shoot it you would die from the recoil
2nd a lascannon would never be used if only ONE shot per power pack(correct me if i am wrong on what you said)but can be fired multiple times if just not as accurately and overheating would be a problem.
i wouldn't die from the (minimal) recoil, i would die because the bolt would explode at my feet since this is about as high as could lift a bolter but those things have almost no recoil, since not all the propellant is ignited at once. I think at one point somebody actually build a rifle that worked the same way(shooting small rockets) and it had almost no recoil.
I don't have my old warhammer literature here but i am pretty sure that you need to change the power pack on a lascannon after every shot, unless you are a devastator marine and carry a power pack on your back to feed the thing(or some other way to have multiple power packs/another energy source hooked up to a lascannon). And i distinctly remember that while you can recharge the power pack for almost every laser weapon by just letting the thing lie in the sun lascannon power packs burn out and cannot be recharged.
Of course i could be totally wrong, my active warhammer days are over and I was always way more versed in (the significant superior) tau weaponry.

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
First of all That?s a lasgun Standard flashlight of the Imperial guard. Second, you play as a Brother-Marine Captain, Of course you are going to go though standard Ork boys like a Hot knife though butter. As for the Nobs and the Traitor legions I expect them to be a more cunning foe to fight.

I hope we get to see multiplayer soon.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
ragestreet said:
Screw the smurfs! Imperial Guard or nothing! Seriously how fun would it be to play a baneblade tank captain?
or indeed, as Commissar Ciaphas Cain.

teebeeohh said:
ShadowFighter15 said:
teebeeohh said:
They've got those as pre-order bonuses, Gamestop gets you chapter skins of the Space Wolves and Black Templars, Steam gets you Blood Ravens and BestBuy gets you Iron Warriors and Emperor's Children (yep, Traitor Legions).
this kinda sucks
since i don't have best buy around here i probably will, for the first time ever, buy something at game stop. Just for a blueish grey.
Blood Ravens?! By Horus, why? Nobody likes them!
What's so bad about the Blahd Rahvens? They areh theh Emprah's Fureh!

Withard

Feb 4, 2010
It IS a lascannon im afraid. Same model just smaller.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101210191226/warhammer40k/images/2/29/Space_Marine_Lascannon.gif

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
Timedraven 117 said:
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
This looks great but I would love some like DLC were we get to play a couple missions as a dreadnaught oh the fun.
probably already pointed out but a dreadnaought is were you are permanently cyberneticly linked to it making it impossible to leave the dreadnaught.

OT:lascannon was wAAAAAAAAAAy too small it is exsposed to have a back mounted power supply and the gun itself 2.5 times bigger also the orks they are bloodthirsty warneeding creatures who are if lacking finesse are natural swordsmen not to mention the gretchins would not fight unless forced by a runthered. also orks are in gigantic warbands even small ones number at least 200, and you yourself would have already fallen by the number of them. and chaos? they are basically you but transformed by the warp making actually a bit stonger. the plasma gun about 1.5/2 times bigger and it would over heat and explode if not carful. oh and if those blood thirsters appered you better move away from the damn planet because if even 1 daemon is there and not expeled along with everything else that means the planet bascially is BONED.(yes that is the way you say deamon in W40K)and also space marines rely on either there battle brothers or on sound tactical stealth and planning to fight if only a single man, also in order to even get a thunder hammer you have to be very high ranking.oh and also a fu**ing stomp attack? WTF a space marine is strong but not god he cant cause a strong enough stomp that would make a shock wave not even a dreadnaought can.

I didn't say it had to be the same character just some DLC where you get to run around as a big ol Dread stompin orcs for the Big E.Also the character you're playing is supposed to be a captain of the Ultramarines thus you have access to pretty much all the equipment you want.Also chaos is strong but you can have supplements of daemonic Invasion without full scale corruption and warp spawning terror.See Lord of Night,A few excerpts in the CSM codex a few of the GG books and Ciaphas Cain novels.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
teebeeohh said:
Timedraven 117 said:
teebeeohh said:
1st there is recoil if you were to shoot it you would die from the recoil
i wouldn't die from the (minimal) recoil, i would die because the bolt would explode at my feet since this is about as high as could lift a bolter but those things have almost no recoil, since not all the propellant is ignited at once. I think at one point somebody actually build a rifle that worked the same way(shooting small rockets) and it had almost no recoil.
I don't have my old warhammer literature here but i am pretty sure that you need to change the power pack on a lascannon after every shot, unless you are a devastator marine and carry a power pack on your back to feed the thing(or some other way to have multiple power packs/another energy source hooked up to a lascannon). And i distinctly remember that while you can recharge the power pack for almost every laser weapon by just letting the thing lie in the sun lascannon power packs burn out and cannot be recharged.
Of course i could be totally wrong, my active warhammer days are over and I was always way more versed in (the significant superior) tau weaponry.
well actually you would there is a reason that the bolter is semi/burst weapon beacause of the recoil that is why the imperial guards bolters are of LOWER power because of the recoil in the deathwatch book there is a quate from a metalica weapons last words as he was about to test the weapon to the client and it also says that the weapon's scale, weight, ect are all a problem as well as recoil, also yes for las cannons they have back mounted generators and i am impressed you know that Standered las weapons power cells can be recharged in the sun kudos chum and you are right that tau Ranged weaponry is much better but they do lack in Melee.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
good point
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
Timedraven 117 said:
Jazzyjazz2323 said:

I didn't say it had to be the same character just some DLC where you get to run around as a big ol Dread stompin orcs for the Big E.Also the character you're playing is supposed to be a captain of the Ultramarines thus you have access to pretty much all the equipment you want.Also chaos is strong but you can have supplements of daemonic Invasion without full scale corruption and warp spawning terror.See Lord of Night,A few excerpts in the CSM codex a few of the GG books and Ciaphas Cain novels.
very good points and ya that would be fun to crush the orks underfoot like a bug

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
Oh my lord I feel like I'm on the Dakka or BOLS forums!!!Are we seriously getting in to bolter discussion folks?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
AugustFall said:
Doesn't look like there's a lot of weight behind it. Looks more like wading through paper dolls than orks.
I'll keep an eye on it though. Loved DoW.
Really? It looked pretty solid to me. Or at least the impacts and the combat action looked solid.

I'm looking forward to seeing more about this.

Samnite

Sep 21, 2009
ShadowFighter15 said:
Samnite said:
Looks good - combat seems to flow pretty well. Although I've a horrible feeling they'll make you chose a close combat weapon and a gun at the start of a mission and no be able to change them for ages...
I doubt it - one of the things they mentioned in the video was that they wanted the player to be able to seemlessly swap between melee and ranged.

Or do you mean the specific weapons the Marine's carrying? Like choosing a bolter at the start of the mission and not being able to swap it out for a plasma gun or meltagun for a while?
The latter, yeah - I don't doubt that you'll be able to draw your bolter swiftly after hacking people with your chainsword (in my mind it flows Arkham-Asylum style) but halting to change weapon from a bolter to a plasma gun would break flow. If you're going to be in combat all the time, where would be a good point to do it? If there are weapon lockers or something, that would work, but I have a bad feeling they'd just make you stick with your original choice.