Trash-Talking Sony Engineer Blasts Kinect Lightsaber Game

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Well it's a Star Wars game, so it's most likely a Lucas Arts game, which means it's most likely going to suck no matter what controller it uses.

Hell if I was Microsoft I'd probably try to stop them from making it, because they're bound to make Kinect look bad.
Like they needed any help anyway

*zing!*

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
my motion control system is better. though I will say this though, all my friends who have a kinect are quite impressed with it. but I'm the "down with motion controllers until I'm too drunk to hold a controller" type of gamer. that very rarely never happens

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Dana22 said:
AugustFall said:
Dana22 said:
Here you are, Kinect lightsaber, with a stick. Remember that this is amateur work using freeware drivers.
That's what he's getting at, the kinect's "thing" is the lack of peripherals. And that's no ordinary stick, it has special sensors on it.
However I would like point out using the Force in a kinect game would be far superior to the move.
I see no reason why they couldnt do it in retail games.
Because then you've just made a Move for the Kinect, in fact you've TURNED the Kinect into the Move. Except you have even LESS control. The reason for the 'dildo head' is so the move can track and transform into various handheld products, like a mace or a hand gun or a sword, or a ball of lightning that when you punch forward sends out thunder bolts.

The Kinect theorecicly could do this in the future but they have nothing to track on you. they can't get the intrinsics of your body to morph, and if you have to hold a stick it wont turn into a light saber you need to modify it to turn into the lightsaber.

Everything has unlimited potential but Kinects will purely exist with its homebrew demographic as of right now. even the 'holo computer' Minority Report used had a control device a pair of gloves. we need SOMETHING to be tracked to get this to work. Actually I could totally go for some motion gloves (proper gloves not Power Glove styled)

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
HK_01 said:
Why is it news-worthy when someone from one company bashes the other? It happens so often and it's not in the least objective.

He's probably right though.
Perhaps we should have some sort of ban on "X badmouthes competitor Y's product Z" stories appearing as news.

We had the other one about GT5 recently, you could more or less just change the names involved and little else and get every similar story published.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Move might be better at the lightsaber part, but I would guess that Kinect could be better at the force powers part. Though, as others have said, the chance of the game actually being good no matter what system it's on is fairly minimal.
ninja'd

but yeah the idea of a good game with motion controlled lightsabers is all but dead

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
SpaceMedarotterX said:
The Kinect theorecicly could do this in the future but they have nothing to track on you. they can't get the intrinsics of your body to morph, and if you have to hold a stick it wont turn into a light saber you need to modify it to turn into the lightsaber.
Not really. The camera just has to know what to track movement of. One green ductape piece at the end of the stick, one above the "hilt", and voila.

Even better. Let the camera scan the stick just as it does with a body.

Its just the matter of writing a software.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Sneaklemming said:
You still have a depth issue... kinect games will end up like a window-washing type minigame..
There was one of those in Lego Star Wars on the Ds and it was hella fun

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
First of all, the teaser video that came out at e3 during the Microsoft press conference was (like almost all of the Kinect demonstrations), pre-rendered and acted to by somebody who was paid alot to memorize the exact movement sequence. They did this to fool people into thinking there was no serious lag, and that you could even use a lightsaber effectively without having an object in your hands.

Second, while Microsoft made a big deal about Kinect being special because it didn't need controllers, it would be more profitable to them to release peripherals, and only incite hate from the 5% of the buyers who care/remember. The general populace tends to forget these kinds of things, and they could just as easily turn around and say "well we never explicitly said it couldn't use peripherals".

Third, apparently people aren't aware that Move operates with a CAMERA, and could also be used for force-pushes and such.

TheLiham

Apr 15, 2010
I seem to recall something about some Kinect, or Project Natal as I refuse to call it something as stupid as Kinect, games having peripherals.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Oh noes~ A bad Star Wars game! That's unpossible!

As 'unpossible' as Sony dissing the Kinect's capabilities.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
No sword swinging game of any kind can work without proper force feedback

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Anton Mihailov? Helped invent one motion control system and is bashing the others... Is he from Bulgaria by any chance?
Not bashing my country, but most of us really are a little complacent.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
I never would have guessed that a controler based game would be better on a console with a controler.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
manythings said:
Well I would think any lightsabre game would be a problem. How would you actively fight with no beam-to-beam resistance?

mjc0961 said:
Well it's a Star Wars game, so it's most likely a Lucas Arts game, which means it's most likely going to suck no matter what controller it uses.

Hell if I was Microsoft I'd probably try to stop them from making it, because they're bound to make Kinect look bad.
Kiinect looks good?
I guess he meant ""looks worse"".

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Not even a month out and the two are already slinging shit.
Get the popcorn. [sub]Dibs on the butter![/sub]

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I agree with him. I don't see how Kinect will pull this one off unless it uses gesture based animations rather than 1-1 tracking (like the Wii is good at).

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
This just in, Hitler thinks german built rifles are better then russian rifles.