Free-Dom
I just remembered something.

I was terrible at this game.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
LostGryphon said:
I just remembered something.

I was terrible at this game.
Ya lol me too, but I'm getting there. I was getting decent scores than I hit 7 or 8 and started getting paired with people with gold badges and I went back to the bottom of the scoreboard.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
In just two days of reasonable playing time I'm at 20,000 XP, halfway to most guns, or with almost enough to buy two classes (infiltrator and tech sound fun!). I think I'm going to get the classes I want first, then buy a few upgrades for the weapons I already have. I think the model is very reasonable - weapons are way more expensive than they should be, but I've been watching videos from people way more skilled than me, and it seems like the weapons are very well balanced. Except you seem to start off with some pretty shit 'nades. I haven't had any trouble taking down people with more gear than me.

The thing that seems to marginally improve a class are the perks, which are priced so that they take 2-3 games to earn enough XP for.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Luca72 said:
In just two days of reasonable playing time I'm at 20,000 XP, halfway to most guns, or with almost enough to buy two classes (infiltrator and tech sound fun!). I think I'm going to get the classes I want first, then buy a few upgrades for the weapons I already have. I think the model is very reasonable - weapons are way more expensive than they should be, but I've been watching videos from people way more skilled than me, and it seems like the weapons are very well balanced. Except you seem to start off with some pretty shit 'nades. I haven't had any trouble taking down people with more gear than me.

The thing that seems to marginally improve a class are the perks, which are priced so that they take 2-3 games to earn enough XP for.
Ya it doesn't seem to take very long to get decent equipment in the game, mostly, because the game starts you off with a half decent kit. That being said some of the guns are really pricey. I want the jackal for the infiltrator, and I got like 40k right now, but when I think about it for the price of the jackal I could unlock 2 of the more expensive classes and fully upgrade 2-3 perks.

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
Cheers. I played some yesterday and I didn't need to redownload. However, I seem to have kept my levels and unlocks which, while I'm only level 7, seems a little unfair to people who didn't play beta.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
TheGauntman said:
Cheers. I played some yesterday and I didn't need to redownload. However, I seem to have kept my levels and unlocks which, while I'm only level 7, seems a little unfair to people who didn't play beta.
Um.

How is it unfair? You played, you got the EXP. They didn't. They can still play and get the EXP...

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
TheGauntman said:
This may seem a silly question, but: I was playing in the beta - do I need to re-download the game or can I just keep playing from the version already installed on my computer?
I think you should be able to keep playing since I think the game downloads through the launcher, so I think you'll just get a patch notification.
Hmmm...apparently my quote got eaten first time, so again: cheers. Had no problems playing on the version I already have.
The Crotch said:
TheGauntman said:
Um.

How is it unfair? You played, you got the EXP. They didn't. They can still play and get the EXP...
I just assumed after beta everyone would start on a level playing field. Having players with higher levels, better weapons, and better perks at launch puts other players at a disadvantage.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
TheGauntman said:
NightHawk21 said:
TheGauntman said:
This may seem a silly question, but: I was playing in the beta - do I need to re-download the game or can I just keep playing from the version already installed on my computer?
I think you should be able to keep playing since I think the game downloads through the launcher, so I think you'll just get a patch notification.
Hmmm...apparently my quote got eaten first time, so again: cheers. Had no problems playing on the version I already have.
The Crotch said:
TheGauntman said:
Um.

I just assumed after beta everyone would start on a level playing field. Having players with higher levels, better weapons, and better perks at launch puts other players at a disadvantage.
1: Nature of any game with EXP and unlockable equipment. You can not avoid that. People who play more get more, and it's not like they couldn't have played during the open beta (which had been going on for a while) or even the closed beta (which had many, many keys if you knew where to look). So why take away the progress of people who have been playing for months? Especially if they've paid money...

2: Low-level players have their own segregated servers. They don't last long, but they exist. Wish the game did a better job of it, though. Maybe 1-5, 6-11, 12-50.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
The Crotch said:
TheGauntman said:
NightHawk21 said:
TheGauntman said:
The Crotch said:
TheGauntman said:
Um.

1: Nature of any game with EXP and unlockable equipment. You can not avoid that. People who play more get more, and it's not like they couldn't have played during the open beta (which had been going on for a while) or even the closed beta (which had many, many keys if you knew where to look). So why take away the progress of people who have been playing for months? Especially if they've paid money...

2: Low-level players have their own segregated servers. They don't last long, but they exist. Wish the game did a better job of it, though. Maybe 1-5, 6-11, 12-50.
I think you guys also got a special vet badge either if you played at all or played and hit some level. Still I can't really complain I had a couple closed beta keys and decided/didn't have time to use them, so no one to blame but myself.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
A badge and 10,000 EXP if you were at level 10 on release. 15,000 if you were a VIP (had spent any amount of money on the game), 20,000 if you had an EXP boost running, and 30,000 if you had VIP and an active boost.

I've still got craploads of stuff to unlock, but I'm sitting on my EXP until the doombringer gets some new toys. I figure the brute'll get a class pack next week and the doombie will get new gear in late May; if any other classes get new stuff before those two, I will be a sad heavy. Good-golly-Miss-Molly do I wish I could switch out this saber for anything else.

EDIT: And if you played the game substantially before February, you should have a ton of EXP. Pre-February-patch, the game was way different (read: way worse), and some of the many changes made resulted in a huge influx of EXP for old players. Shame I hadn't really played before then (srsly, the game was pretty weak before the February patch), but... eh. I shall survive.

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
The Crotch said:
That I didn't know, and should smooth out any advantage from playing beta.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Played a soldier for the first couple of days, mucking about in Team DM. Was ok, but then I found my happy place, nestled between some lovely jugs. Now I'm fusion mortaring the hell outta the whole map and lovin' it :) Saying that, really got too save for new secondary, having 2 explosive weapons when your being chased down in deathmatch is a pain the ass.

Gonna have to crack on and give CTF a try tomorrow. Anyone on the EU side feel free to add me, handle is Morninglord.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
TheGauntman said:
The Crotch said:
That I didn't know, and should smooth out any advantage from playing beta.
To clarify, only the 1-5 servers exist. The 6-11 is only my wishful thinking. It can be a very rough adjustment.

I accidentally joined in on a "newbie game" the other day (I had joined a level 9 friend who had himself joined in on his level 4 friend), and found myself massacring people with my maxed-out doombringer before I realized what was going on. In my defence, that one level five dude was coming at me with a bolt launcher and a LAR.

Once I realized what was going on I just fucked around in a tank. Also, walked the flag across Sunstar with my juggernaut.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
The Crotch said:
A badge and 10,000 EXP if you were at level 10 on release. 15,000 if you were a VIP (had spent any amount of money on the game), 20,000 if you had an EXP boost running, and 30,000 if you had VIP and an active boost.

I've still got craploads of stuff to unlock, but I'm sitting on my EXP until the doombringer gets some new toys. I figure the brute'll get a class pack next week and the doombie will get new gear in late May; if any other classes get new stuff before those two, I will be a sad heavy. Good-golly-Miss-Molly do I wish I could switch out this saber for anything else.

EDIT: And if you played the game substantially before February, you should have a ton of EXP. Pre-February-patch, the game was way different (read: way worse), and some of the many changes made resulted in a huge influx of EXP for old players. Shame I hadn't really played before then (srsly, the game was pretty weak before the February patch), but... eh. I shall survive.
Super sad now, I stopped playing the beta at level 9. Not because the game was bad, I just started Uni, started playing LoL with some friends, kinda forgot about it. No special badge for me...

Anywhere I can find out about these weapon packs? Only started playing again recently, didn't play the beta for long so I know nothing about their update schedule. Are the packs regularly scheduled? Also, why hate the saber? Admittedly I don't main Doombringer, I usually only switch into him when there's an enemy vehichle around, but I find the saber quite effective in discouraging flying, and I can usually get a few kills with it if I wait until they're high up to start the lock.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
brunothepig said:
The Crotch said:

Super sad now, I stopped playing the beta at level 9. Not because the game was bad, I just started Uni, started playing LoL with some friends, kinda forgot about it. No special badge for me...

Anywhere I can find out about these weapon packs? Only started playing again recently, didn't play the beta for long so I know nothing about their update schedule. Are the packs regularly scheduled? Also, why hate the saber? Admittedly I don't main Doombringer, I usually only switch into him when there's an enemy vehichle around, but I find the saber quite effective in discouraging flying, and I can usually get a few kills with it if I wait until they're high up to start the lock.
The only pack out right now is the infiltrator pack - two skins, a remote-detonated sticky launcher primary, exploding knife secondary, and smoke grenade belt item (mostly used to make infiltrators more viable in arena/TDM). Hi-Rez has said that they want to do packs about once every three weeks or so, and they've hinted that brute (the saddest of the classes) and the doombringer (a class that lives almost entirely on the power of its primary weapon and landmines) will be getting their stuff before any others. If you buy them with gold, don't buy them idividually; there's a separate menu option (promos or something) where you can get some or all of them at a much better rate (for as long as the deal lasts, at least).

As for the saber... it takes no skill to use, it's not much fun to go up against, and it never hits anything that wasn't going to die anyway. Hi-Rez said a while back that they were considering an anti-materiel projectile, essentially a heavier heavy bolt launcher, as a new secondary, but I'd really take anything.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
The Crotch said:
As for the saber... it takes no skill to use, it's not much fun to go up against, and it never hits anything that wasn't going to die anyway. Hi-Rez said a while back that they were considering an anti-materiel projectile, essentially a heavier heavy bolt launcher, as a new secondary, but I'd really take anything.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I've gotten missile locked a few times, and was ready to try to shoot the thing down, but it never came. How fast/dangerous are they? I watched a tutorial that made them look pretty brutal. And if it does come to shooting them down, how are you supposed to do that if you don't have an AR or pistol? Can you dodge and weave to avoid them?

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Luca72 said:
The Crotch said:
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I've gotten missile locked a few times, and was ready to try to shoot the thing down, but it never came. How fast/dangerous are they? I watched a tutorial that made them look pretty brutal. And if it does come to shooting them down, how are you supposed to do that if you don't have an AR or pistol? Can you dodge and weave to avoid them?
They're dumber than Minsc and a good deal less charming. Putting anything between them and you results in the rocket crashing harmlessly. They move slower than a shrike. They have a long lock-on time (if the doombringer can even get them to lock on to the right frigging target). And they explode if any attack hits them. This is easiest with an automatic or a pistol, but they're big, easy-to-see targets that fly straight, so anything is feasible. I've heard that some pathfinders have trouble hitting them with the shotgun due to a combination of lag and the spread of pellets, but then, good pathfinders can outrun 'em, too. They can, in theory, one-shot a light, though on the odd occasions I actually hit with them (I'll sometimes toss 'em out against a high-flying light that I've got no hope of chaining down), they usually only do partial damage and send the guy flying.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
The Crotch said:
The only pack out right now is the infiltrator pack - two skins, a remote-detonated sticky launcher primary, exploding knife secondary, and smoke grenade belt item (mostly used to make infiltrators more viable in arena/TDM). Hi-Rez has said that they want to do packs about once every three weeks or so, and they've hinted that brute (the saddest of the classes) and the doombringer (a class that lives almost entirely on the power of its primary weapon and landmines) will be getting their stuff before any others. If you buy them with gold, don't buy them idividually; there's a separate menu option (promos or something) where you can get some or all of them at a much better rate (for as long as the deal lasts, at least).

Ah yes, I had heard mention of that pack. And came up against it in an arena match, that was painful. Admittedly the guy was also gold rank, but still, a vicious shot with those knives.
Packs would be a cool idea, and I do tend to play Juggernaut the most out of the heavies, so maybe some packs for them would add some veriety to my play.

I'd agree that the saber is skill-less, obviously. That's the way it functions. And I can see how if you used Doombringer frequently it would be annoying to have only the saber to choose. Like I said, I just bring it out for vehichles, for which it performs admirably. Also noobs flying everywhere, because you can easily get two missiles fired off and kill them. An anti-material projectile thing would be great though. And then the Brute can get a heavier version of that! A heavier heavier heavy bolt launcher...

Sangnz

Oct 7, 2009
Tribes = awesome game way ahead of its time
Tribes 2 = awesome game expanded the map sizes but slowed down the gameplay a notch
Tribes: Vengance = steaming pile of poop
Tribes: Ascend = Solid return to the tribes formula with modern day class unlocks etc

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
brunothepig said:
Ah yes, I had heard mention of that pack. And came up against it in an arena match, that was painful. Admittedly the guy was also gold rank, but still, a vicious shot with those knives.
Packs would be a cool idea, and I do tend to play Juggernaut the most out of the heavies, so maybe some packs for them would add some veriety to my play.
No kidding lol. The jackal is really strong and the knives seem pretty good too, but god do I want the jackal.