Tribes Ascend Released

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
The Crotch said:
Potential energy is a good perk for raiders who run with the shield pack, especially indoors. Some people use an ultra capacitor along with it. Or survivalist (get energy and health from ammo nuggets).

EDIT: And yeah, quick draw is a very good perk (to the point that a lot of people are hoping that it gets removed and everyone just gets increased weapon swaps and reloads across the board), and it works well for classes like the soldier and the brute.

For classes like the doombringer... not so much.
I don't think anything works for doombringer. That classes is really underpowered.
Looter or Safety Third for first perk using landmines as your belt item (the default grenades are godawful) and Super Heavy as your second perk (assuming you're doing flag defence, which 90% of doombringers do) to reduce how much enemies can knock you around and let you do damage with your body-blocks. Forcefields can be handy for flag defence, but don't really help you in fights, and get sniped easily on most maps. The heavy bolt launcher is usually used by indoor-focused doombringers (though I recommend it for flag defence on Crossfire because that stand is such a clusterfuck), but it's not a particularly good weapon. The saber is pretty crap, as I stated before. But the chain... it's less accurate than any other auto, sure, but good-golly-Miss-Molly does it tear things up. It's an exceptional anti-air weapon and can kill faster than most any other gun in the game.

So basically what I'm getting at is that doombringers have a great chaingun and some landmines and not much else. Those two things make them ideal stand defenders, but juggernauts are still top of the pile as far as the heavy classes go.

And then there are the poor, poor brutes...

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
The Crotch said:
NightHawk21 said:
The Crotch said:
Potential energy is a good perk for raiders who run with the shield pack, especially indoors. Some people use an ultra capacitor along with it. Or survivalist (get energy and health from ammo nuggets).

EDIT: And yeah, quick draw is a very good perk (to the point that a lot of people are hoping that it gets removed and everyone just gets increased weapon swaps and reloads across the board), and it works well for classes like the soldier and the brute.

I don't think anything works for doombringer. That classes is really underpowered.
Looter or Safety Third for first perk using landmines as your belt item (the default grenades are godawful) and Super Heavy as your second perk (assuming you're doing flag defence, which 90% of doombringers do) to reduce how much enemies can knock you around and let you do damage with your body-blocks. Forcefields can be handy for flag defence, but don't really help you in fights, and get sniped easily on most maps. The heavy bolt launcher is usually used by indoor-focused doombringers (though I recommend it for flag defence on Crossfire because that stand is such a clusterfuck), but it's not a particularly good weapon. The saber is pretty crap, as I stated before. But the chain... it's less accurate than any other auto, sure, but good-golly-Miss-Molly does it tear things up. It's an exceptional anti-air weapon and can kill faster than most any other gun in the game.

So basically what I'm getting at is that doombringers have a great chaingun and some landmines and not much else. Those two things make them ideal stand defenders, but juggernauts are still top of the pile as far as the heavy classes go.

The success level of Doombringers has been all over the map in my experience. I watched some Tribescast matches of more experienced players, and they almost always have a Doombringer playing "goalie", basically body-blocking the flag with Super Heavy and chain-gunning anyone who gets close.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Aye, "Heavy on Flag" it's called. My favourite thing to do in the game. Can be frustrating as hell if you don't have any mediums to support you, though.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Luca72 said:
The Crotch said:
NightHawk21 said:
The Crotch said:

The success level of Doombringers has been all over the map in my experience. I watched some Tribescast matches of more experienced players, and they almost always have a Doombringer playing "goalie", basically body-blocking the flag with Super Heavy and chain-gunning anyone who gets close.
The problem with super heavy blocking is anyone can do it. I recall a match rather fondly where there was an infiltrator stealthing on the flag and who had super heavy. When I did my flag run I got hit with that major damage and died. Its a great tactic but any class can do it and I think thats really why dooms need some more going for them.

Although brutes are in a worse position right now

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Windcaler said:
Luca72 said:
The Crotch said:
NightHawk21 said:
The Crotch said:

The problem with super heavy blocking is anyone can do it. I recall a match rather fondly where there was an infiltrator stealthing on the flag and who had super heavy. When I did my flag run I got hit with that major damage and died. Its a great tactic but any class can do it and I think thats really why dooms need some more going for them.

Although brutes are in a worse position right now
Super heavy infiltrators are a gimmick. Non-heavies don't have the HP or the weight to squat on the flag reliably (though I did once meet a soldier who was pretty good at flying body blocks), and if you're doing that, you might as well do it with an assload of landmines backing you up - hence the doombringer.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
NOTHING looked more fun than playing a Tribes game as I watched my friend play it years ago! So getting my computer amped up ASAP to run it when I get my computer!!

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
The Crotch said:
NightHawk21 said:
The Crotch said:

Ya the chain is a super weapon, and you don't have to reload it for quite a while even if you're just holding the trigger. The problem is hitting someone with it (least for me). The fact that these guns aren't hitscan is gonna take some getting used to. It just feels weird with there auto projectile weapons, probably because I'm used to explosives not being hitscan, but any weapon that used standard bullets was always faster than the player.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I'm thinking about buying a perk for the raider (can't remember the name, but it reduces self AoE damage), and the final upgrade protects from self emp and whiteout. Does anyone know if that includes the damage from the EMP or only the energy drain portion?

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
It reduces the damage from EMPs just as it reduces the damage from all self-explosions, but it only negates the energy drain.

EMP grenades aren't really EMP grenades, anyway. They're more like "this grenade is going to fucking kill you, and if it doesn't, you'll be down a little bit of energy, too" grenades.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
The Crotch said:
It reduces the damage from EMPs just as it reduces the damage from all self-explosions, but it only negates the energy drain.

EMP grenades aren't really EMP grenades, anyway. They're more like "this grenade is going to fucking kill you, and if it doesn't, you'll be down a little bit of energy, too" grenades.
Ya, shame it won't completely negating damage cause then clearing out rooms would be a breeze. Also I don't know if its me, but its seems like you can't throw them more than 3 feet, while every other grenade flies in a normal arch.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Luca72 said:
And I have to believe you at least got a laugh when it happened.
Oh yes, I wasnt sure what was going on during the match since I got in at the late part of it but afterwards I contacted the guy and asked how he did it. I swear I laughed for a full five minutes when it sank in. He and I still play together once in awhile, when Im not doing team matches and he has lots of crazy strategies like that

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
The Crotch said:
Yeah, EMP grenades fly like wadded up balls of paper.

Fucking things still hurt, though.
Oh ya. Just a shame though cause I've missed so many kills where I had to reload, but the person is too far away to hit with a grenade. Do you know if the whiteout one fly normally, and if they do a reasonably amount of damage still.

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
I've played a bit of it and as a former starsiege tribes and tribes vengeance player I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I find the sense of speed that you can get is lacking compared to older ones and I'm not a big fan of the regenerating health either, but I suppose that's a personal thing. I've always been a major fan of sniping in these kind of games because its pretty damn difficult to hit something at such speeds and range that you're able to get, but the sniper in Ascend is a dud. It's still quite tricky to hit with it, and when you do you get a miserable 300-500 damage off on it. Not only that but it forces you to to stay scoped for a few seconds before firing, else it's damage is near zero. I hope that other sniper you can unlock has some better capabilities than the default one, I haven't had a chance to unlock it yet. Also the headshot mechanic with snipers feels like a strap-on that does absolutely nothing but give you a sound conformation.
Yeah I'm sticking with Tribes: Vengeance for the time being. I enjoy the sniper in that game WAYY more than Ascend, also I very much miss the grappling hook in Ascend :(
I do like how Ascend gives you more viable weapons, the weapons in the originals were lacking and it ended up in everyone having a spinfusor anyway. Ascend seems promising but It lacks the feel that the other tribes games had. It feels so SLOW and ENCLOSED with the maps they currently have.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
poiumty said:
Argh why didn't I make this thread first.

Been playing since beta, didn't get to level 10 though (if only I had known). I like playing doombringer on defense, and juggernaut on Drydock and Crossfire because fuck defense on those maps. Sometimes I play raider. Having a bunch of fun shelling enemy flag stands is pretty neat.

NightHawk21 said:
Oh ya. Just a shame though cause I've missed so many kills where I had to reload, but the person is too far away to hit with a grenade. Do you know if the whiteout one fly normally, and if they do a reasonably amount of damage still.
People don't know this, but you can test every weapon or class (even the ones you haven't unlocked) by using the Roam Map mode under Training.
Are you kidding me. That would've saved me a lot of money. Oh well no harm done thanks for the info :)

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
It's very short, actually. But being completely blind is completely blind, so if you time it with an incoming capper, I'm effectively removed from the fight.

Also, playing in the dark + suddenly bright white screen = the goggles do nothing.