Two men hugging means they're gay?

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
PureChaos said:
My friends are important to me and a hug with a close friend is great, especially as we have all moved away so don't get to see each other very often. Hell, when I was at uni I'd known my flatmates for 3 months but when we were back together in January there were a lot of reunion hugs.

now, one day a few years ago a friend mentioned it was their birthday coming up and said to me 'what you going to give me for my birthday' to which I replied 'I'll give you a hug'. his response was 'no thanks, I'm not gay' which I thought was stupid. I just this minute told that story to my mum and she pretty much agreed with my mates response.

what do you think? is one friend hugging another gay? or is it just friendly? Joey and Chandler do it all the time!
While hugging a friend is not gay offering it as a gift seems to be homoerotic. Not necessarily gay, but saying that the hug is a gift makes at least two assumption. He wants a hug from you and you want to give him a hug. Homoerotic explanation is definitely an explanation that jumps to mind. Offering it as a gift fits this explanation as its a planned action, and most hugs for happy reunion and such are more of a spur of the moment thing.

Offering a hug as a gift gives the impression you want to hug him, he wants to hug you, and it has nothing emotional beyond a sort of yearn to hug as you're planning it out for the future. That implies physical attraction I guess to some people.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
I'd hug somebody related to me, or who just experienced some sort of upsetting event (ie. funeral, breakup, etc.) if they needed it. Other than that I hug my friends jokingly sometimes but for the most part I don't hug them at all. This also applies to girls though. I'm just not a hugger?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
it's only gay if you think it's gay. i've hugged my guy friend while we were both shirtless. then we skipped shirtless while holding each others hand. but this is probably because we were doing it for shits and giggles and it's funny to see old ladies stare in disgust at you. all in all, we were trolling. and we play gay chicken. but neither of us are gay or bisexual, we know this, so it means nothing. it's all about how the both of you feel with the situation. we play gay chicken cause it's funny to see how far someone will end up going. he always wins.

point being, it's all about how people think the situation is. but if they think a bro hug is gay, then they might be a little insecure about their own sexuality or possibly just over sensitive.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
I don't think so. I'd see how it could be seen that way, but I just feel that America is...weird. A lot of other cultures don't see hugging as gay. Hell, I'm pretty sure in France you greet by kissing each other's cheeks. Hugging can be seen as romantic, or it could be a sign of friendship. Honestly, onlookers can think whatever they want, but they should be reminded that they don't know these people, or the relationship they have. <-Disregard this is the people know you, but they still should not make assumptions like that.

Of course, that would be hard, so just consider that the people are friends. They could be family, lovers, or workers, but I'm sure nobody would be offended if you asked "Are you two friends?" compared to "Are you two gay?"

But what do I know? I'm a falcon.

David Out

Feb 18, 2010
definitely NOT gay. It's bromance, thats all. If you make it feel awkward, then thats ur problem.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
how old are you? that's right, a firm handshake will do great. maybe even a broshake where you do a inverted handshaked and pat him on the back, but a simple firm handshake is the best way to go.

pyrrhic victory

Jun 9, 2011
Feh, I hug my mate all the time. We're frequently called "married" but we just laugh at it and shrug it off, often making it a joke.

On the whole, though, it's just not as fun as tonguing another man's balls.

I mean, as it used to be.

I'm not gay.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Nope... then again it could be cultural. In Sweden its' 100% normal, people who refuse hugs are deemed as strange. At awards ceremonies (in school at least) the norm is a hug instead of a handshake.

Rems

May 29, 2011
Giving your mate a hug is not gay. It's just a gesture of affection, a bit of human contact.

Haratu

Sep 6, 2010
Depends on the hug, a friendly hug, family hug, or relationship hug tend to look slightly different.
Friendly male hugs tend to be short, almost no movement of hands, and usually arms are towards the shoulders, not below small of back.
Family hugs are similar but usually involve one hand (considering male family hugs usually are upon meeting and you are carrying something).
A Homosexual hug however has a lingering more extensive feel. Of course a homosexual could still do the friendly/family hug if they wanted to.

Personally I don't like hugs at all except with my wife, but I am willing to do a family hug just to show respect to grandparents, parents and in-laws.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Nah, your friend and mom are overreac-
PureChaos said:
Joey and Chandler do it all the time!
...Maybe they have a point after all.

Okay okay, jokes about that awful Friends show aside, no, it's not gay. Tell your friend and mom to stop being so silly.