U.K. Tabloid Plays the Videogames Cause Violence Card - Again

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
besnick said:
Another shallow study from so-called 'scientists'. I mean: Who wouldn't be more aggressive if he had to change his daily rhythm in such radical ways and if he had to play this much without any diversion, sports, social contacts(?) etc.
Would be 'slightly' more convincing, if another control group had to play peaceful games for two weeks, 10 hours a day...
It's not the scientists saying it makes people violent. All they said is that it had an impact on how the brain works.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
While we're in the business of making baseless accusations based on 'common sense' does this mean that I can suggest that Page 3 in The Sun causes sexual devience in people?

Makes just about as much sense overall.

I've already gone into great length in a previous thread about how any study that claims to link 'activity x to behaviour y' is fundamentally flawed but for the sake of discussion, everyone reacts to different stimulus in their own way (our reaction tends to be a culmination of our live experiences, views, individual differences, norms and values and many other factors that are hard to standardise), this is why one person may view an advert and think 'I want to buy that' while another will view it and go 'what a bunch of horseshit, did you see that small print?'.

The actual study here (as was rightfully pointed out in the article itself) makes no actual reference to violent behaviour so this just seems to be another case of the Daily Mail trying to scare monger parents and piss off gamers in an effort to draw readers (the sad thing is that it works).

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

And did you know that some video games are foreign? Foreign! It's disgraceful. Britain is broken.

This is all bollocks of course, but it's depressing to think just how popular the Daily Mail is over here. It sells a staggering amount of copies every day and there are people that take everything it says as gospel.

(source: http://www.mailclassified.co.uk/circulation-readership/circulation-readership)

I really hope that they get hammered in the Leveson Phone Hacking Inquiry that's going on at the moment.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
Until a group of gamers go on a rampage because their game is late, then this is bullshit. Look at sports, team loses, the fans go on a rampage and smash up a city. Plus its old news. They quote GTA but Skyrim was violent, as is AC....both involve random violence and killing of innocents. No one has proven games cause violence. Just that games, like sports etc, can cause a rise in hormones or whatever than can make you lash out out of frustration from being stuck on a game and dying. All gamers have had moments where they have almost thrown the joypad at a wall out of frustration. But none, to my knowledge, have smashed up a city because Duke Nukem Forever had its release date pushed back again.
Sports riots in the UK are famous for the damages they cause. I remember when the world championship was played in South Africa there were quite a few who weren't allowed to go because of their history of violent behaviour in prior sport events.

OT: I hate when the news says they got proof that violent video games cause violent behavior. Sure it might be a factor, but our lives are the sum of everything that happens to us, not one aspect of it. Both the environment we're raised and our genetics have something to do with how we end up as adults. If I played violent video games as a kid and ended up as a violent person as adult then games could have had something to do with it, but that's probably not the only reason.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Blunderboy said:
Ah the good old Daily Mail.
I'm sure they actually use this [http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/] nowadays.
"Could Gypsies Give the Royal Family Cancer?"

My god, this is my new favourite toy.

OT: It's the Daily Mail, the British FOX news, except instead of Republican Propaganda, we get scaremongering and bullshit.

Calumon: *Presses Daily Mail button* "Why is the internet destroying me?" D:

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
They can do whatever the fuck they want, the way the british press is being dragged through the courts for all these hacking, lies and blackmail scandals, credibility is slipping.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
Violent crimes rates are at a record low, a trend that started in 92, the same year doom was released.

The daily mail can do as many brain scans as they like, it does not change the fact that there has been no statistical demonstrations of these supposed violent tendencies in the 20 or more years we have been exposed to violent video games. All we have had is a few deranged individuals who's defence team have tried to blame their actions on videogames. The amount of these individuals though has not even been statistically important.
Didn't we have a riot early on in the year lol? Anyway a study with a sample size of 11 should be ignored.
TBH surprised Sassafrass hasn't linked MMR linked to autism [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-376203/Former-science-chief-MMR-fears-coming-true.html] I mean it's still going on to this day where general population sheep still believe in any old BS the media puts out, where the rest of the medical profession (not a handful of idiots, ie Andrew Wakefield who since been discredited and struck off from medical registry) says otherwise.

I mean you get "celebrities" Jenny McCarthy using Chelation therapy on her kid, to remove heavy metals from the kids body and hence cures autism... ehhhh what?!

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
BakedZnake said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Violent crimes rates are at a record low, a trend that started in 92, the same year doom was released.

The daily mail can do as many brain scans as they like, it does not change the fact that there has been no statistical demonstrations of these supposed violent tendencies in the 20 or more years we have been exposed to violent video games. All we have had is a few deranged individuals who's defence team have tried to blame their actions on videogames. The amount of these individuals though has not even been statistically important.
Didn't we have a riot early on in the year lol? -snip-
We did, the question is, was it statistically important? People tend to concentrate on individual statistically unimportant incidents rather that what is actually happening. They pretty much 'miss the forest for the trees'. Also riots happened before video games and will happen long afterwards. We probably have less now though and no I don't have statistics to hand to back up that opinion.

May 29, 2011
Blunderboy said:
Ah the good old Daily Mail.
I'm sure they actually use this [http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/] nowadays.
Oh my gof this isn what I got on the first spin. That my good sir is genius.
ARE PAEDOPHILES STEALING THE IDENTITY OF ENGLAND?

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I guessed as soon as I saw the link which tabloid it was, and was not disappointed. Move on people, the Mail is too toxic to even be used as toilet paper.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
This is the Daily Fail. They thrive on spinning things to scare you, they're about as reliable as a DSL connection on the moon.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Satsuki666 said:
I am not sure why you are complaining about the use of the term aggressive. It has already been proven that playing violent video games makes you more agressive. Trying to deny that is like trying to deny that water is wet.
Really? Evidence please, because I seriously doubt that. I'm pretty sure no causal link has been found by a valid and rigorous peer-reviewed trial.

Games altering brain functions is not new: neuroplasticity means that the brain adapts to all stimuli, whether that's reading a book, playing a game, or kicking a football. It's how we learn and adapt. This study just seems to show (from what we have seen) that playing games leads to the brain adapting to playing games, i.e. a study of the bleeding obvious.

To chuck out more random newspaper quotes: http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/862249-football-video-games-make-players-more-aggressive-than-violent-ones

And as the Leveson Inquiry is showing, tabloids will print just about anything in order to sell more copies.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
"The study compared MRI scans on 11 men from 18 to 29 years of age playing "violent" games ten hours a day for two weeks and those who didn't."

Doing ANYTHING for ten hours a day for two weeks will fuck with your mind.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
ChildofGallifrey said:
kayisking said:
Alright, let's derail the comment section. Everybody post what you think should be the next stock photo for violent videogames. I would post one myself but I forgot how to embed images.
Alrighty.

Just look at this senseless depravity! The building is exploding, sending all those adorable critters flying in every direction! Just look at that white one, he looks like he's going to cry! And that one at the forefront is wearing an expression that just screams "I am going to brutally murder everything in my path"!! It's MADNESS!

I do agree that there are not many things that scare me more then angry birds.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
To be honest, I'm quite surprised about the maturity level, but then again, this is an article about something published by the Daily Mail.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
BLOODY HELL! Did they say 10 hours a day? If I played that much, then yeah, I may feel a bit more violent. Much like watching Pulp Fiction over and over.