U.K. Tabloid Plays the Videogames Cause Violence Card - Again

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Blunderboy said:
Ah the good old Daily Mail.
I'm sure they actually use this [http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/] nowadays.
IS YOUR LOCAL COUNCIL GIVING HOUSE PRICES DIABETES?

Oh my! What ever shall we do?! How do you even administer insulin to the housing market?!

Trentnes

Sep 3, 2010
You would think that any singular activity done for ten hours a day over two weeks is going to change your brain activity a bit. Just imagine what Tetris would do to you.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The Daily Mail
And that is ALL we need to know.

Also, our brain activity constantly adapts to what we do. it is no wonder that if we do same task for 10 hours a day makes our brain adapt to working in this condition more than it would without it. That would be as good a conclusion as saying that "working 8 hours a day is bad because it causes brain activity to shift". Or for that mater substitute sleep for work, or anything you like. Changing in brain activity does not measure goodness or badness.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Videogames Cause Violence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Experiments that prove existence of postive impact of gaming on people. I find lack of them... disturbing. Why there's no serious talk about such experiments and their results ?
C'mon, we don't live in the black/white reality.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Jack and Calumon said:
Blunderboy said:
Ah the good old Daily Mail.
I'm sure they actually use this [http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/] nowadays.
"Could Gypsies Give the Royal Family Cancer?"

My god, this is my new favourite toy.

OT: It's the Daily Mail, the British FOX news, except instead of Republican Propaganda, we get scaremongering and bullshit.

Calumon: *Presses Daily Mail button* "Why is the internet destroying me?" D:
"Are the french killing your dignity?"

Yes, yes they are.

See the daily mail prints the truth sometimes.

deus-ex-machina

Jan 22, 2010
The Daily Mail is a horrible paper for the easily influenced. It published an article on how paracetamol can kill you if you take it regularly. This was a spin on the actual evidence which says that taking it regularly is more damaging on the liver compared to a single overdose of it. In my profession, I had to spend the next week explaining to Mail readers who came to see me that it's still a pretty safe drug and that using it on occasions for headaches or other pain didn't mean their liver was going to give up on them.

But that's just one example relevant to me. I don't read it, I only ever hear of its scaremongering, usually from threads like this. All it does is cause arguments between people who read the articles and people who genuinely know more about the subject. I can imagine now and over the festive period, elderly folk who read the Mail lecturing their grand children about how their brains will melt out of their ears and cause them to become psychopathic killers because they play video games.

I don't know how to put it in a more succinct, proper way so I'll just say "It's not fair". I don't see how they get away with causing so much panic and angst against things. I don't see the point of something that has no intention but to antagonise.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Whenever a news article starts with the words tabloid, daily and mail that's your go ahead to tune out. It's not news. It's not true. These people aren't journalists, let's move on.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
I am not sure why you are complaining about the use of the term aggressive. It has already been proven that playing violent video games makes you more agressive. Trying to deny that is like trying to deny that water is wet.
It's been proven that violent video games attract aggressive people. I'm not aware of any proof that playing violent video games actually causes aggression and I doubt you could find such proof.

Please, for the love of God, don't spread false statements. It just makes the lies easier to swallow.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Urgh. It's the Daily Mail, enough said. Please don't give them traffic to their site. Can't even call it a Newspaper.

Number Six

Nov 29, 2011
I see the papers are jumping to conclusions again.

It means nothing with out a group who are playing non violent games. For all they know non violent and violent gamers brain configuration after this time could look the same.

Im sure they would find a difference in brain configuration if they tested something like a group of footballers after playing a match (and how there brain works normaly).

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I left my comment on the article.

The Mail is the worst tabloid in the UK for shit like this.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
*completely ignores the flamebait*

It would be interesting to do this study with clinically depressed test subjects, as another study said that depression leads to deactivation/less activity of the brain regions which are responsible for aggression.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
ATTENTION UK GAMERS....now that I have your attention, why do you look at the Daily Mail? Seriously it seems like complete shit and I can't see why you would look at it. Why not just ignore it?

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure I'd be rather mad after playing 80 hours of the same game a week. Mindlessly killing and crashing cars. SO BORED.

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
10 hours of gaming a day for 2 weeks? I'd be cranky too.

Seems like both their attitude towards gaming and their stock photos are becoming very dated.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
The Daily Mail article said:
The results could be concerning as they seem to show that the games cause brain plasticity - where the brain alters to accommodate demands put on it.

However they found that when gamers stopped playing, their brains returned to normal.
I wonder if they found the same result with violent jigsaw puzzles.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Greg Tito said:
To me, the experiment only proves that gamers just use their brains differently. The altered brain activity does not necessarily translate into violent or aggressive behavior, and the jump to hammer home that link by the Daily Mail is what pisses me off. Terms like "anti-social behavior" and "aggressive" were never used by the study abstract and only fans the flames of the anti-gaming crowd. Come on, Daily Mail, I know you are just a tabloid, but you can do better than that.
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLBx9XOhsm8#t=2m38s]