U.K. Tabloid Plays the Videogames Cause Violence Card - Again

Jachwe

Jul 29, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Satsuki666 said:
I am not sure why you are complaining about the use of the term aggressive. It has already been proven that playing violent video games makes you more agressive. Trying to deny that is like trying to deny that water is wet.
It's been proven that violent video games attract aggressive people. I'm not aware of any proof that playing violent video games actually causes aggression and I doubt you could find such proof.

Please, for the love of God, don't spread false statements. It just makes the lies easier to swallow.
It has been proven. It is not a lie. You are deceiving yourself if you keep thinking people do not get aggressive while playing violent videogames. That is how the human mind works. Only a certain type of people, let us call them extraordinary people, do not feel aggressive if stimulated by violence. But most people are not extraordinary. You might agree with me when I phrase it "violent videogames agitate the player" because that sounds not as negative.
By the way how come you guys never back up your statements? Those studies at least do that. That puts you in a position of doing the same if you want to disagree. That is how science works. Someone states something backed up by some set of dataand if you want to proof him wrong you have to deliver another set of data about the same thing that rebutts the other one's data.
All you are doing is just keep reaffirming yourselves without proof. You keep talking about proof that you claim exists but do not mention how or where to find it.
I now will do a mad step in this direction and give you my source of knowledge. It is Rita Steckel's book "Aggresionen in Videospielen: Gibt es Auswirkungen auf das Verhalten von Kindern?" published by Waxmann Verlag in Münster, New York, München, and Berlin in 1998. On the bottomline the study says that the longterm effects of playing violent videogames for too long people will get desensitized and thus tend to more readily resort to violence because the desensitization removes an important antagonist of violent behaviour. There is a lot more to it but I think I made my point clear. If anyone wants to know more go read the book I posted. You will be more knowledgable for it.

Zoe Castillo

Mar 4, 2011
Im sure someone already posted this but It wasn?t on the first page so here
And as everyone already said it?s the fucking Daily Fail ???.. they are UK?s version of FOX

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Being alive and doing anything alters the activity of the brain and its structure. Altering its physical structure is how the brain operates to efficiently adapt to tasks and environment; the specific alterations will depend on the nature and frequency of the activities engaged.

However, verifying the link to violent behavior would require careful observation and measurement of a person's behavior before and after engaging regular play of violent video games and ensuring that no other factors(such as stress, anxiety, or chemicals) are involved that could have precipitated increased violent behavior. Prerequisite would be to develop a valid measure to quantify violent behavior such to determine if there is more or less violent behavior in the subject of study. One would also need to characterize the initial state of a statistically significant ensemble of subjects against our measure of violent behavior in order to be able to later determine the extent to which violent video games are able to induce more violent behavior. If we assume that violent video games cause an increase in violent behavior, the extent of this increase may be different given different starting dispositions of the subjects, i.e. those who are already significantly violent may not become significantly more violent, by relative percentage; whereas, those who are less predisposed to violence may suffer a greater relative percentage increase in violent behavior in accordance to our measure. We would have to test for a significant statistical tendency for an increase in violent behavior in the ensemble of subjects, above that of random fluctuations.

This would be my initial approach. Refinements may later be necessary, either improvement of the quantitative measure of violent behavior or better selection of subjects to ensure the initial state of the ensemble is more neutral(i.e. randomly distributed) against the measure of violent behavior.

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
The study compared MRI scans on 11 men from 18 to 29 years of age reading the Daily Mail ten hours a day for two weeks and those who didn't. The study reported that there was a difference in the brain activity of the group that read the Daily Mail. The Daily Mail can alter the brain in just one week and make readers more aggressive. Key areas in the brain suffer reduced activity, and leave it physically altered.

Feb 13, 2008
Jachwe said:
It is Rita Steckel's book "Aggresionen in Videospielen: Gibt es Auswirkungen auf das Verhalten von Kindern?" published by Waxmann Verlag in Münster, New York, München, and Berlin in 1998.
The 638 page document in German, and you can't give us any footnotes?
Or perhaps provide an English translation?

On the bottomline the study says that the longterm effects of playing violent videogames for too long people will get desensitized and thus tend to more readily resort to violence because the desensitization removes an important antagonist of violent behaviour.
So, you beating in Dragons in Skyrim is perfectly acceptable? It means you will attack any problem you see?

Can we have some actual quotes and links, because - pardon me - I don't exactly trust your interpretation of what a non-professional scientist thought 12 years ago.

If "it has been proven" then prove it. Scientifically. The burden of truth lies on the instigator.

Zyxzy

Apr 16, 2009
Good ol' Daily Mail. You can always count on them to spew some baseless fearmongering.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
kayisking said:
Alright, let's derail the comment section. Everybody post what you think should be the next stock photo for violent videogames. I would post one myself but I forgot how to embed images.
<spoiler=Done>http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/5007/slide_5007_69336_large.jpg?1322598700011
<spoiler=And done>http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/The-Effects-of-Video-Game-Violence-on-Physiological-Desensitization-to-Real-Life-Violence-2.jpg

More OT, Im sure the study wasnt meant to fuel the Daily Mail's title.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
JesterRaiin said:
Experiments that prove existence of postive impact of gaming on people. I find lack of them... disturbing. Why there's no serious talk about such experiments and their results ?
C'mon, we don't live in the black/white reality.
Here's a fun story. When I at school, I must've been about 7, I had to do OT because I have dyspraxia which meant I had bad hand-eye coordination amoung other things. This was around the time we got our first family computer and my OT person said this "maybe you should try playing some video games? They could really help you with your coordination". They did.

Regardless, I'd like to direct people to the original article. Don't go on it, each time you click on the Daily Mail website, you give Rupert Murdoch money. I've done the research for you though, would you like to see the picture they use to illustrate the typical gamer playing a typical game?

From reading the article, you see another thing the Daily Mail do. They make the provocative comment in the headline, then in the article they don't actually back it up. The study doesn't say anything about violent video games making you aggressive, it just says if you play video games for a ridiculous amount of time every day then it will affect how you think... but everything you do affects how you think. It's a pathetic attempt to sell papers by giving out of touch middle-aged people another reason to be scared of the modern world.

naam

Dec 16, 2010
I most certainly think it plausible videogames desensitize towards violence. Ofcourse I think the same of movies, tv and documentaries, should you watch the proper kind long enough. Even if videogames ever get conclusively linked to violence this shouldn't change much as humans seem to get influenced by a lot of things and that's just part of life. At most it should be incentive to find a better system for enforcing age ratings.

The_Fezz

Oct 21, 2010
Put it this way, I've spent the last couple of weeks playing Saints Row The Third, I've probably murdered the population of Steelport 3 times over, and literally the only change I can think of is my appreciation for the song 'No easy way out' and let's face it, I'm hardly going to assault someone over that, or attempt to jump through the windshield apparently under the belief that I am one of the Third Street Saints, because I'd die.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Phoenix Arrow said:
(...) It's a pathetic attempt to sell papers by giving out of touch middle-aged people another reason to be scared of the modern world.
Thanks for a nice story. :)

BTW...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ru/0/01/Peace_Sells..._But_Who%27s_Buying_q91.jpg

I guess that peacefull news ain't what they used to be, eh ? :|

Willowleaf

Jun 27, 2011
People who played games for *ten hours a day* every day for a week experienced brain vague, unspecified brain chemistry changes? What a complete shocker. I would never have guessed. Now if they will finally stop throwing around jargon so people can understand what actually changed in the brains I'd stop whining quite so loudly. Maybe. Well, probably not, but maybe. Because believe it or not it takes a different part of your brain to solve problems and, yes, press buttons to shoot things than everyday life does. That doesn't link anything violent in the game to any antisocial tendencies.

Also, shouldn't the study have had a third group of people that played nonviolent video games for the same amount of time? Really science?

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
Yeah sorry guys, our bad. We try to keep these morons looked away on HMS "Mental-bigoted-gits", but they got out. We're sorry. As an act of contrition for polluting the world-wide-web with a bad case of Stupid, we promise to force our Prime Minister to punch himself in the face.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
teqrevisited said:
If anything causes violence it is the Daily Mail. Tabloids lie just as much if not more than politicians.
Well on that subject...

One of the main muck-spreaders of the "Vaccinations cause autism" scare, which was never backed by any hard scientific evidence and has been disproven multiple times over, was the Daily Mail's own Melanie Phillips. Thereby at least partially causing incidence of the (usually harmless, but in very rare cases fatal) childhood disease of German Measles to skyrocket.

Forget them supporting the Blackshirts during World War 2 (although they did), the Daily Mail has a very current and real body count.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
jessegeek said:
Yeah sorry guys, our bad. We try to keep these morons looked away on HMS "Mental-bigoted-gits", but they got out. We're sorry. As an act of contrition for polluting the world-wide-web with a bad case of Stupid, we promise to force our Prime Minister to punch himself in the face.
Heeheehee. I LOVE it.