Ubisoft Cancels a Bunch of Games, Gets PC-Centric

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ubisoft Cancels a Bunch of Games, Gets PC-Centric

A series of major reorganizations at Ubisoft has resulted in the cancellation of multiple products in development - but we don't know which ones.

The world of a major videogame publisher can be a tricky one, as you try to adapt to major new trends in the marketplace like mobile and social gaming. Sometimes, trying to meet those new demands means you need to sacrifice elsewhere.

In Ubisoft's annual financial report released today, the publisher noted precisely that: "Ubisoft has taken measures to adapt its structure to major changes in the industry by reorganising the roles and operations of its studios, which has resulted in the termination of certain projects."

No word on what games were canceled as of yet - it could be the long-languishing Beyond Good and Evil 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89972-I-Am-Alive-Gets-Shanghaied], or perhaps some titles we haven't even heard of. A safe bet is that Assassins' Creed: Revelations is probably not on the chopping block, given the popularity of the franchise.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot also said that Ubisoft would be announcing a major PC-based title shortly. "In the coming days, we will officially announce an ambitious project on PC based on one of our top gamer franchises that will illustrate our capacity to take advantage of new business models," he announced.

New business models on PC and one of Ubisoft's top franchises? I think I hear the ka-ching of something like Assassin's Creed: Free-to-Play Online, but I could just be imagining it.

There will be a financial conference call with Guillemot and Ubisoft's top brass later today. Perhaps we'll learn more about the cancellations and this new PC title then.

(Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-12-ubisoft-cancels-a-number-of-games])

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
A developer that actually wants to develop for the PC and not make it a terrible port?!
I must be dreaming! Quick somebody pinch me.
Finally PC gamers getting some love.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I Am Alive sounds almost certainly cancelled. >_> Haven't heard fuck-all about it. And a lot of natural disasters in the past year might make it's release seem...wrong...somehow.

And it the sales for BG&E HD were bad and it was used to test the waters...then BG&E2 could be cancelled, too. Depending on it's existing budget.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Someday, they're going to have to realize that their games still EXIST after release day, and that they need to provide something called "Support" for their games, which means if someone pays $50 for a brick, you need to DO something about it.

Until they do that, I ain't buying any of their PC games.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Seriously, what is this? First Capcom swears they are focusing more on the PC, and now Ubisoft? What's next? Squeenix will declare it's porting all the FF games to the PC?

I'm guessing they saw how much fun Microsoft was having declaring its upcoming PC gaming support and then just tossing out more 360 exclusives and screwing GFWL some more while laughing their arses off and decided they wanted in on the whole "Prank the PC gamers" joke.

All I can say to Ubisoft is what I said to Microsoft (and Capcom) - I'll belive it when I see it.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
An Assassin's Creed MMO sounds quite good. I just wish they'd release AC3, rather than little updates to Ezio's story. I mean, come on! The guy's gonna be 50 in Revelations! I know he's a badass and all but that's still time to be thinking about taking all the money he's got from the shop renovation business and settle down somewhere!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
they better not have canceled heroes of might and magic 6, Ive been waiting for that ever since I finished tribes of the east

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Wait, all this news, are developers/publishers finally coming back to us?
Why can't it be good ones...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
JeanLuc761 said:
I might genuinely cry if they end up cancelling Beyond Good & Evil 2 :(
We all will.

:(

The story may not have actually been that good in hindsight. But the characters are great...and the gameplay was incredibly varied and satisfying. Even if each mechanic wasn't polished to a shine...

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I Am Alive sounds almost certainly cancelled. >_> Haven't heard fuck-all about it. And a lot of natural disasters in the past year might make it's release seem...wrong...somehow.
Oh the irony, I Am Alive is a dead project you say?

OT: This is good news that I approve of. Maybe now I won't need to wait for almost a year to get a PC version of the next Assassins Creed.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Rednog said:
A developer that actually wants to develop for the PC and not make it a terrible port?!
With "new business models" in that same sentence, I wouldn't be quite so optimistic. At all.

70R4N

Jan 14, 2010
Worgen said:
they better not have canceled heroes of might and magic 6, Ive been waiting for that ever since I finished tribes of the east
Indeed.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Remove your always online DRM from your single player games (HINTFUCKINGHINT SETTLERS 7) and I'll listen Ubisoft

Apr 28, 2008
If they cancelled I Am Alive and/or Beyond Good and Evil 2 I will cry.

I Am Alive is my most anticipated game right behind Witcher 2. And behind that is Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Rednog said:
This is the same company that gave PC gamers always-online DRM to play single player games. I wouldn't start getting too excited.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Weird, considering Ubisoft and PC gamers go together like... glass in your cereal?

Hopefully this new game wont be called
DRM: The DRMing

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
wait, should I be frightened or excited? are we talking genuine PC AAA title or farmville/wow attempt?