Ubisoft Cancels U.K. Release of We Dare

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
-_-# and I thought that we were more mature about things like that than America, I feel so ashamed of my country and it's neigbors now.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
Ubisoft you bunch of wimps. Man up! It may be a god aweful game but at least have the balls to go through with it.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Hexenwolf said:
Calcium said:
I doubt anyone's actually going to be disapointed not to play it here. The palm mark has only just disappeared from my face since I saw the commercial.
Simply WATCHING the commercial got you slapped? I gotta say, that's rather impressive
I actually meant the mark from a prolonged facepalm, although an actual slap would have been welcome after sitting through that video too. =P

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
I live in England and haven't heard a thing about it. Haven't been able to find a thing on the BBC website either. Plus, we're on the BBFC rating system, not PEGI! What are Ubisoft on about?!?
Nope. We use both at the moment, but that's changing very soon. As it stands right now, PEGI is only an advisory rating, whereas BBFC is legally enforceable - basically, if a game is PEGI 18 and BBFC 12, a 12-year-old could buy it, although good luck trying to get someone in a shop to understand that.

Long story short: we're soon to stop using BBFC for video games, PEGI is replacing it completely at some point this year.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I think more people were amused rather than outraged. Maybe Ubisoft is just doing like a poorly endowed flasher & running away from the laughter as fast as they can.

Karilas

Jan 6, 2010
Simalacrum said:
Wait, there was a backlash at all? I live in England and haven't heard anything about it in most news channels, mostly its been about the economy cuts and the Libyan civil war over here o_O

The Sun barely counts as a news paper, its really the English equivalent of Fox News... but meh, I don't think anyone will really miss the game :p
Yeah I hadn't heard any uproar either, maybe it just didn't reach the north!?

Seriously though, I think any outrage on this one is completely ridiculous. I reckon they pulled the plug on this one not because of any outcry, but because they probably feel a bit silly about marketing the whole thing to adults only when the game itself isn't that raunchy.

Mar 30, 2010
Ophiuchus said:
Grouchy Imp said:
I live in England and haven't heard a thing about it. Haven't been able to find a thing on the BBC website either. Plus, we're on the BBFC rating system, not PEGI! What are Ubisoft on about?!?
Nope. We use both at the moment, but that's changing very soon. As it stands right now, PEGI is only an advisory rating, whereas BBFC is legally enforceable - basically, if a game is PEGI 18 and BBFC 12, a 12-year-old could buy it, although good luck trying to get someone in a shop to understand that.

Long story short: we're soon to stop using BBFC for video games, PEGI is replacing it completely at some point this year.
Huh. I guess you learn something new every day. I'd always assumed the PEGI rating featured alongside the BBFC rating was simply a hangover from the European release box art. Well, it'll streamline the current system at least.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
archvile93 said:
How does coming to an informed decision and refusing to cave in from the peer pressure of the uninformed make you look bad or like you lack validity? Seriously, I'm asking.
I'm not talking about PEGI's process, which I'm willing to believe is right on the money, or its refusal to back down. I'm talking about how easy it is to short-circuit that process with an ignorant, sensational appeal to the "masses." When uninformed populism trumps considered decisions, it inevitably leads to questions about the validity of the decision-makers, who come out of it looking toothless and ineffectual.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
SamElliot said:
Oh, and Mr. Chalk, you have it wrong: PEGI standing by it's rating doesn't show something wrong with the system, it shows that they have principles. Something the rest of us could learn from.
I guess maybe I wasn't clear enough with the statement. PEGI is only part of the system and it, presumably, got it right. But then Ubi bailed, proving that the outrage was justified - at least in the minds of those who were outraged. The natural, inevitable outcome is a belief that they were right and PEGI was wrong - and if PEGI was wrong on that one, how many other ratings has it blown? And if it can't be trusted to keep an obviously filthy sex game out of the hands of our children, why are we keeping it around at all?

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
Imagine if Mass Effect's sex scenes including the lesbian ones were made out to be a big of a deal as this, the game is also a "12" too.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I actually wonder if this isn't some sort of conspiracy to lead people into thinking that the ratings system does not accurately portrait any and all games. This is to make parents fearful of any game with any rating, because now they don't know what they are really getting. It's a clever plan that would undoubtedly work. These are just my thoughts on the incredibly odd rating for the game from Pegi.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
This is all borders on the surreal. The game itself is (apparently) so tame it deserves a 12+ rating. The associated ad itself is very suggestive but also pretty tame. The picture that the Excapist uses to promote this story is more racy than anything contained inside said story. (Classy!) Such a waste of energy.

pejhmon

Mar 2, 2010
Irony is that I kinda want to play this game now just to see what all the fuss is about :p

Also, since only the UK is backing out it's still being sold on the mainland right?

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Nice, call out Wii Dare on encouraging underage sex, and yet the age of consent here is 16. People tend to have sex even younger than that, too. It's just all behind closed doors. Nice sense of logic.

"Better not let this saucy game out. It's not like they can legally already have sex halfway through their teenage years rather than when they become an adult in the eyes of the rest of the world. Oh wait..."

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Stupid parents.

I play violent video games that sometimes contain nudity since being a little boy and I'm still a virgin.

I'm that awesome.

Crazy_Man_42

Mar 10, 2011
What is with the game company marketing program lately?

Does the marketing staff even look at these ads and say, "Hey this is a really bad commercial and it will hurt the sales for this game, we need to change it."

But it's hard to judge your own work fairly and logicaly and to just say this is bad.